Space Mountain

kreiderr

I had the opportunity to ride Space Mountain in Disneyland, Paris and it was unbelievable. Space Mountain, Disney World is a kiddie-ride compared to the one in Paris. Expedition Everest and the Rock and roller-coaster are the only things that compare. At some point they need to decide to just start over and give it the attention it deserves.

Dskipper

i hate to say it but most of the time when sm is down it is a cm fault. alot of times the cm at unload should have stored trains to clear unload and they wait to long and gets backed up. even if a guest takes to long to get out of a train there are ways of getting cought up and not going down. there are the very few times like today when someone lost the meds on the ride, then we just have to cycle down and go out on track and look for it, but that dosnt take any thing at all guest dont even have to leave the building for that. its just stupid cast member like water shoes.:fork: not doing the right things to keep the ride running smooth

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marni? Lee? Can you confirm?
Not fully as of yet.
The honest truth is there not going to get serious about the parks until theres a major decline in attendance. Thats the sad truth. So stop coming, cut down on spending on disney park merchandise, and tell others to stop coming too and go elsewhere for vacation.
Sad but true. And they know it. This rehab is at risk of loosing a lot of its core values. Not all, but a lot.

I hope they don't turn the WDW Space Mountain into one like at DL. I love the WDW Space Mountain! The DL one is way too smooth (the music's neat, but I still prefer the sound of the track running and people screaming at the WDW one). I'm all for the rickety out-of-control feeling you get on WDW's Space! If they do do a major refurb, I hope they reuse all the old track designs to keep that classic rickety feel.

And I also like how the WDW Space sits single file - makes it different from the other coasters.

:sohappy:WDW Space Mountain:sohappy: > DL Space Mountain

EpcotServo

I think April - October would be 6 to 7 months...not 4. :)

Anyway, keep in mind that DL's Space Mountain closed before they were completely ready for it to. Management had absolutely no choice but to close it when they did b/c the ride was falling apart.

Yea, our Management just saw that they had no choice, and took the risk and ignored it.
:lol:

wvdisneyfamily

Marni? Lee? Can you confirm?

If so, this could be very disappointing. I fully support the idea of no major attractions until late 2011 or early 2012 if it means refurbishing the rides that need refurbishments, but this refurbishment was anticipated as something huge, and now it seems that it's going to be anything but. They Disneyland version of Space Mountain blows Disney World's out of the water. I don't think a 4 month refurb could possibly change that.

5-6 months does seem short for the work SM needs.

Silvermist

Not fully as of yet.
Sad but true. And they know it. This rehab is at risk of loosing a lot of its core values. Not all, but a lot.

:confused:

Sigh.....

Sadly, SM has already dropped off my favorites list. It used to be near the top and we would never miss it but, in recent years, it's fallen into such a sad state that we're very lukewarm about riding it now. After going on the new DL version, the poor condition of WDW's became even more glaringly apparent.

What happened to staying ahead of the curve? Don't wait until negative impressions are formed and attendance drops. Once that happens, you have to work even harder and spend even more money to regain what you've lost.

imagineer boy

Space is easy to cascade - if load or unload takes too long the cars begin to back up until the system goes 101 for an auto E Stop. It takes cycling and maybe evac, manual resetting on the track, and cycling again to get it going again.

That's why it needs a rehab so badly. Its technology is just so primitive by today's standards.

I had the privilege to ride DL's SM, and its so much smaller than WDW's SM but it completely blows it out of the water which is really sad. And these rumors that SM will only get a half-@$$ed refurb are extremely disturbing. Ugh, if these end up being true I will be very upset...

Austin1

I agree with everyone who says that that Disney doesn't want to make any major improvements at the Magic Kingdom until attendance decreases.

From a business perceptive this makes sense, but only half way. Right now they are using the Magic Kingdom as a "cash cow". People come and attendance records continue to increase so they see no need updated or make any extensive improvements.

However, many of these people, especially first time guests, leave disappointed and less likely to return. I've had many guests tell me that the Magic Kingdom was not near as good as they expected it to be and thought that it needed improved. Many simply find it outdated. Of course everyone comes because it's the flagship park that is used in all of the ads and marketing campaigns, but its image can only last so long before the word gets spread that the park needs some major refreshment.

If the company holds out on the restoration and upgrade process of the park too long they are looking at a seriously costly issue later on. Everything will have to be upgraded simultaneously, the word will already be out that the park is in need of repair and they will have to spend extra money communicating to people that they have made the needed changes.

In the end, I think it would be much wiser to make solid improvements and upgrades over a longer period of time, than to let the park fall by the wayside and have to fix everything at once and try to restore a tarnished image.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I hope they don't turn the WDW Space Mountain into one like at DL. I love the WDW Space Mountain! The DL one is way too smooth (the music's neat, but I still prefer the sound of the track running and people screaming at the WDW one). I'm all for the rickety out-of-control feeling you get on WDW's Space! If they do do a major refurb, I hope they reuse all the old track designs to keep that classic rickety feel.

And I also like how the WDW Space sits single file - makes it different from the other coasters.

Totally with you on that. Yes DL is a nicely executed attarction - but you just cant beat the track layout and the out of control feeling it gives.

For the poster who compared it to Paris - they are two very different rides. The WDW SM is not about high speed and loops - it offers something different.

wvdisneyfamily

Totally with you on that. Yes DL is a nicely executed attarction - but you just cant beat the track layout and the out of control feeling it gives.

For the poster who compared it to Paris - they are two very different rides. The WDW SM is not about high speed and loops - it offers something different.

I'm glad other people don't want the DL SM. I like our SM much more.

Lee

Adventurer
Good grief....the madness is spreading. Even Steve has been assimilated.:brick:

Folks, it has been scientifically proven that Disneyland's Space Mountain is 93.2% better than Magic Kingdom's in every respect from ride quality and music to themeing and exterior lighting.
True fact.

However, MK's Mountain has shown some gains. It's level of craptacular-ness has decreased from 81% to a mere 79.4%. Not to mention it's wonderful upkeep as seen here:
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=34203&size=big&cat=&ppuser=3193

imagineer boy

I agree with everyone who says that that Disney doesn't want to make any major improvements at the Magic Kingdom until attendance decreases.

From a business perceptive this makes sense, but only half way. Right now they are using the Magic Kingdom as a "cash cow". People come and attendance records continue to increase so they see no need updated or make any extensive improvements.

However, many of these people, especially first time guests, leave disappointed and less likely to return. I've had many guests tell me that the Magic Kingdom was not near as good as they expected it to be and thought that it needed improved. Many simply find it outdated. Of course everyone comes because it's the flagship park that is used in all of the ads and marketing campaigns, but its image can only last so long before the word gets spread that the park needs some major refreshment.

If the company holds out on the restoration and upgrade process of the park too long they are looking at a seriously costly issue later on. Everything will have to be upgraded simultaneously, the word will already be out that the park is in need of repair and they will have to spend extra money communicating to people that they have made the needed changes.

In the end, I think it would be much wiser to make solid improvements and upgrades over a longer period of time, than to let the park fall by the wayside and have to fix everything at once and try to restore a tarnished image.

Very well said. Its sad that's the logic of the people in charge of Disney these days.

If WDW's SM simply got a good rehab, it could easily beat the snot out of DL's SM.

wvdisneyfamily

Folks, it has been scientifically proven that Disneyland's Space Mountain is 93.2% better than Magic Kingdom's in every respect from ride quality and music to themeing and exterior lighting.
True fact.

However, MK's Mountain has shown some gains. It's level of craptacular-ness has decreased from 81% to a mere 79.4%. Not to mention it's wonderful upkeep as seen here:
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=34203&size=big&cat=&ppuser=3193

I agree that WDW's SM has not been kept up very well. I think a refurb that gave it some much needed TLC would restore it to its past glory. It does not need to be gutted and redone.

baz212

The single thing they need to do in this refurb to make WDW's SM better is to completely enclose the ride space. What impressed me about DL's SM was how dark it was. There was no light bleeding in from the que or the TTA. That made the coaster seem faster and more out of control. You could not anticipate the drops and curves.

kingslyZISSOU

The honest truth is there not going to get serious about the parks until theres a major decline in attendance. Thats the sad truth. So stop coming, cut down on spending on disney park merchandise, and tell others to stop coming too and go elsewhere for vacation.

wow, that's sure to work.

wvdisneyfamily

The single thing they need to do in this refurb to make WDW's SM better is to completely enclose the ride space. What impressed me about DL's SM was how dark it was. There was no light bleeding in from the que or the TTA. That made the coaster seem faster and more out of control. You could not anticipate the drops and curves.

That would be neat.

EpcotServo

True fact.

:lol:

/agree

You know it's Space Mountain-meaning that that you SHOULDN'T hear rickety sounds figuring you aren't supposed to be on a Roller Coaster at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom