Space Mountain: The Movie

PeterAlt

Original Poster
With Pirates and Haunted Mansion movies already made, it is only logical that Disney make a Space Mountain movie! That would really be awesome! Does anyone have any inside info of whether or not the company has at least discussed this idea? And if yes, what possibly could its storyline be about?

WDWspider

Seems like I remember hearing that Haunted Mansion, Country Bears, and Pirates was all that would be made into Major Movies.

Although I want a Jungle Cruise movie.

mickey04

Michael Eisner said that after the two PotC sequels are made, Disney has no plans to make any movies based on theme park attractions. Doersn't mean it won't happen, but it seems the company has no plans for any other ride-based movies any time in the near future. ;) (Athough a SM movie could be interesting if done right.)

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by mickey04
Michael Eisner said that after the two PotC sequels are made, Disney has no plans to make any movies based on theme park attractions. Doersn't mean it won't happen, but it seems the company has no plans for any other ride-based movies any time in the near future. ;) (Athough a SM movie could be interesting if done right.)

2 sequels?

I thought there was to be only one! :hammer: :hammer:

Will jonny depp feature in both sequels?

egionet

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
2 sequels?

I thought there was to be only one! :hammer: :hammer:

Will jonny depp feature in both sequels?

Yup, a CM told us over the summer that they signed the entire cast for two more movies!!! Hopefully they'll be as great as the first!

WDWspider

Originally posted by egionet
Yup, a CM told us over the summer that they signed the entire cast for two more movies!!!

A CM knows just as much as any other person on things like this, take it with a grain of salt.

Far as I have heard/read, only one sequel is in the works atm.

Captain Cab

Originally posted by matt&helen
I have no idea what the story line would be.
My thoughts exactly!

The problem is that Space Mountain doesn't really have a story behind it. The ride is simply a steel mini roller coaster themed (very well I might add) to be in the future that never was. Sure it's very popular, but how can you make a successful movie out of a ride that's not being driven by a story?

Right now Disney is skating on thin ice with this concept of making theme park rides into full length movies. Sure Pirates of the Caribbean was a huge hit, but the two previous films (Country Bears and Mission to Mars) bombed big time. Let's not forget about that direct-to-video failure of a movie, Tower of Terror. Haunted Mansion will be in the theaters soon, but the early reports don't look very promising. So let's see, out of those four movies (excluding HM) only three made it to the big screen, and only one was a success. That's only a 25% success rate. Not exactly a good ratio.

Getting back to Space Mountain, how can there be a movie when the ride has no story? You simply get into a rocket and race around the galaxy. No objective/mission, no bad guys, and not really much of a point except that it's a thrilling ride. Whoop-de-do.

If Disney were to make a coaster into a movie, a logical choice would be to base it on Big Thunder Mountain. With the concept of an old western town, a flash flood, an earthquake, and a runaway mine train Disney can make an excellent action movie that everybody who has ridden the ride can instantly recoginize and relate to. They can even call it Thunder Mountain (leave off the "Big") and people unfamiliar with Disney will want to see it without realizing that it's actually based on a very popular Disney ride. Also, Big Thunder Mountain is pretty consistant in all the Disney parks throughout the world. There are small differences, but the whole concempt, layout and theming are the same. Space Mountain varies a bit between TDL, DL, and WDW, and DLP is totally different from the other versions.

Also, instead of Space Mountain what about focusing on Splash Mountain? As we all know, the ride is based on "Song of the South", but due to political correctness the movie is basically banned here in the U.S. So how about making an updated version that follows the ride more? How about following the adventures of Brer Rabbit as he is constantly chased by Brer Fox and Brer Bear? Also, Splash Mountain is quite consistant between TDL, DL, and WDW, so everybody who has ridden the ride has pretty much experienced the same exact version.

Why focus on a ride without a story when there are plenty of other popular rides that can be made into excellent movies?

imagineer boy

Originally posted by Captain Cab
My thoughts exactly!

The problem is that Space Mountain doesn't really have a story behind it. The ride is simply a steel mini roller coaster themed (very well I might add) to be in the future that never was. Sure it's very popular, but how can you make a successful movie out of a ride that's not being driven by a story?

Right now Disney is skating on thin ice with this concept of making theme park rides into full length movies. Sure Pirates of the Caribbean was a huge hit, but the two previous films (Country Bears and Mission to Mars) bombed big time. Let's not forget about that direct-to-video failure of a movie, Tower of Terror. Haunted Mansion will be in the theaters soon, but the early reports don't look very promising. So let's see, out of those four movies (excluding HM) only three made it to the big screen, and only one was a success. That's only a 25% success rate. Not exactly a good ratio.

Getting back to Space Mountain, how can there be a movie when the ride has no story? You simply get into a rocket and race around the galaxy. No objective/mission, no bad guys, and not really much of a point except that it's a thrilling ride. Whoop-de-do.

If Disney were to make a coaster into a movie, a logical choice would be to base it on Big Thunder Mountain. With the concept of an old western town, a flash flood, an earthquake, and a runaway mine train Disney can make an excellent action movie that everybody who has ridden the ride can instantly recoginize and relate to. They can even call it Thunder Mountain (leave off the "Big") and people unfamiliar with Disney will want to see it without realizing that it's actually based on a very popular Disney ride. Also, Big Thunder Mountain is pretty consistant in all the Disney parks throughout the world. There are small differences, but the whole concempt, layout and theming are the same. Space Mountain varies a bit between TDL, DL, and WDW, and DLP is totally different from the other versions.

Also, instead of Space Mountain what about focusing on Splash Mountain? As we all know, the ride is based on "Song of the South", but due to political correctness the movie is basically banned here in the U.S. So how about making an updated version that follows the ride more? How about following the adventures of Brer Rabbit as he is constantly chased by Brer Fox and Brer Bear? Also, Splash Mountain is quite consistant between TDL, DL, and WDW, so everybody who has ridden the ride has pretty much experienced the same exact version.

Why focus on a ride without a story when there are plenty of other popular rides that can be made into excellent movies?

Couldn't have put it better myself. Space Mountain has no main characters like Haunted Mansion and it doesn't have a good story to be made into a movie. I like the idea of a new Song of the South movie.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I wanna see a "Churro Cart, The Movie!"*.

It can be a buddy Flick... Mel Gibson can be the Churro selling CM, and Danny Glover can be the older veteran who is thinking about getting out of the churro business because "He is getting too old for this ____"

A mad chase scene ensues.... and Glover crashes his churro cart into Its a Small World into a firey ball of inferno.

*"Churro Cart, The Movie!" Is a registered and trademarked movie with the Writers Guild of America, by: DMC-12.

SIR90210

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
Actually, this isn't a bad idea!

How do I say this nicely? Yeah, it is bad idea. Space mountain has no story line. IMHO, the only Disney attraction that could be turned into a good movie is AE, but that's closed.

juan

I would like to see a ToT movie, a good one this time, not that bad TV one

I would also like to see an Imagination movie, based off the 1980's version of the ride

Oh and I do like the AE idea

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Yes, Space Mountain would never work, seeing it does not have a storyline or strong theme to become a movie.

The Splash Mountain idea is very good, heck they could do this CGI. Others that could are Alien Encounter, with its strong storyline it's an easy candidate, Jungle Cruise, or a re-worked Tower of Terror. A MISSION: Space movie could made, though Mission To Mars movie is somewhat like it, the M:S movie would be rethought and more, making a better movie. An animated or CGI flick based on Figment would be cool too.

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by SIR90210
How do I say this nicely? Yeah, it is bad idea. Space mountain has no story line.

Your point being?

POTC has a great story line and they didn't even use it in the movie!

Space Mountain could be easily turned into a movie...

If it's smart buisness wise, I don't know!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom