Space Mountain Refurbishment Info

WDW Insider

Original Poster
Hello all,

I just thought it might be nice to give you some information on the Space Mountain refurbishment. We're getting closer and closer, and while I know you're going to miss a third of our triple mountain trio, I know you'll be pleased when it reopens in time for the holiday season. So, here's some of the information that I am able to provide at this time:

- New lift mechanism installation
- Audio track being added to the ride experience
- Additional sound effect speakers being installed, along with upgraded audio quality
- Light levels are being adjusted to provide a darker experience as the ride was originally intended to have
- Banked hairpin turns installed
- Sloped quick-drops installed
- Significant track and structure upgrades
- Queue line is being modified for a more efficient queue
- Queue audio is receiving a significant upgrade
- Queue effects are receiving a significant upgrade
- Queue entry room rethemed
- New safety spiel videos added
- New (and expensive) star field projector added
- Upgraded and new projection effects
- Upgraded E-Brake system
- On-ride Special Effects overhaul (lighting and audio), including possibility of new CO2 effect
- Mannequin and set refurbishment
- Upgraded ride surveillance and control booth computer system installation (specifically reducing infrared-induced issues).
- Recarpeting
- Post-show refurbishment
- Tomorrowland Arcade refurbishment (modified layout)

Sorry I can't be more specific at this time, and I'm sure many of you have already heard most of these upgrades. I think the refurbishment will make many people happy by keeping the original Space Mountain "flavor" but plussing it so that it feels very modern and futuristic. Many of the things wihch I refer to as a "refurbishment" mean that all I know is it is receiving a "refurbishment," and while that is quite generic, it's all the information I have to give. Please note that as the refurbishment takes place, PR will begin to release information as per their PR schedule. Marketing will also be taking advantage of the "New Space Mountain."

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask although I probably won't have another chance to respond until Monday.

Thanks,

- WDW Insider

WDW Insider

Original Poster
Straight from the dossier sitting on my desk right now. Obviously not all the information is complete, and many of the upgrades I've listed will not be noticed by the normal guest. However, I think it is nice to see all the upgrades that go unnoticed which are intended to make the experience and efficiency of the attraction much improved.

EPCOT Explorer

Straight from the dossier sitting on my desk right now. Obviously not all the information is complete, and many of the upgrades I've listed will not be noticed by the normal guest. However, I think it is nice to see all the upgrades that go unnoticed which are intended to make the experience and efficiency of the attraction much improved.

Well, I would like to trust you...But you know how these internet things are...:eek: REALLY do hope this is going to happen though. That list is wonderful.:)

WDW Insider

Original Poster
Well, it's not the total track overhaul that many would like (ala DLP), but like I said, I think it finds a very happy medium. Off the cuff, let me say that luckily, the Space Mountain refurb was planned and alloted prior to the economic downturn. In fact, its very nice that several attractions received such care prior to the recession we are currently experiencing.

EPCOT Explorer

Well, it's not the total track overhaul that many would like (ala DLP), but like I said, I think it finds a very happy medium. Off the cuff, let me say that luckily, the Space Mountain refurb was planned and alloted prior to the economic downturn. In fact, its very nice that several attractions received such care prior to the recession we are currently experiencing.
That's what I figured.

I know it's a biiit OT, but know anything on SSE?

:wave:

PLeyava

I have heard of some of these improvements, but not everything you listed...and I was told it was suppose to take 15 months.

Lee

Adventurer
I know you'll be pleased when it reopens in time for the holiday season.

Wanna lay odds on it opening this year?
I still hear it is unlikely.

Straight from the dossier sitting on my desk right now.
I will be in the MK tomorrow afternoon.
Leave a copy of said dossier taped to the underside of the bench closest to the restrooms in the Skyway building.
Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.
;)

CaptainMichael

Question: Will there be any changes to the sketchy room where you unboard to at least try to theme it? Right now it's creepy and not very Space Mountainy.

WDWFigment

I hope the post show refurbishment means getting rid of those tacky, Wal-Martesque (no, I'm not using a WDW1974 term) cameras and monitors. Also, I hope the Arcade Refurbishment means nixing the arcade and adding a themed Space Mountain gift shop with *gasp* SPACE MOUNTAIN products in it instead of HSM and Hannah Montana crap.

diddy_mouse

Very interesting...

I really hope that things on that list will come to fruition. I'll be all the more excited to ride Space Mountain after the refurb takes place. :D

EpcotServo

I will be in the MK tomorrow afternoon.
Leave a copy of said dossier taped to the underside of the bench closest to the restrooms in the Skyway building.
Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.
;)

*get there first*

*burns after reading*

:lookaroun

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom