space mountain lawsuit

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by FourFourSeven
You know, I do agree with your points on this topic, I disagree with SKYWAY 4 ME completely, and I realize SKYWAY'S legal arguments are completely and utterly incorrect, but I still don't think you should make personal attacks that don't serve to forward your argument.

I apologize to you if you have found my remarks offensive. But when someone (SKYWAY in this case) says something insulting like, "I'm putting it into laymen's terms...SO YOU'LL UNDERSTAND.", and then proceeds to make some of the most idiotic statements I've ever read on these boards,....well, you can't honestly expect me to RESIST, can you?

Seriously though, I do recognize this is a heated and controversial topic. On one hand, it is difficult for most of us to face that the Disney we've come to know and love could be the slightest bit dangerous...and then refuse to own up to it!! But for others, it is not just difficult to face that, it is IMPOSSIBLE!! So despite any evidence whatsoever to support it, they make silly remarks like, "He obviously stood up on the ride" and other nonsense. I'm a Disney "purist", which means that I love the Disney that Walt created and believed in. That means I still love the spirit of what Disney is about, but I'm occasionally disappointed by what the current management has done to Walt's dream. This is one of those cases where I think Walt would be absolutely ashamed of how his company is being represented. I firmly believe that if Walt were alive today, he would do right by this guy who got hurt and then he'd do whatever was necessary to make sure it never happened again. But there are others who are so narrow-minded, that Saddam Hussein could be running the company and everything he did would be okay because it would be "Disney". Those type of people (again, SKYWAY in this case) are easily recognized because their arguments are so pathetic.

Again, not my intention to offend. But I believe there are times when certain things just need to be stated. Know what I mean?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Perhaps its because of your nations inability to accept personal responsibility for their own actions, or perhaps you have a higher proportion of dobbers, but the fact that a third rate lawyer is making money out of misery is very sad indeed. Those of you so keen to say YEAH sue; just ask yourself where the money is coming from? Not from corporate profits that s for sure cause all these costs are passed on to you and I and we all pay through higher premiums.

Unfortunately this phenomena has caught on in the UK and you cant walk down the street without someone trying to lure you with the premise of free money in return for the privilege of fighting your case to right a wrong and of course for a sizeable chunk of your conscience money.

Just ask yourself this doesn’t it make you feel safe to live in a land where your car mirrors have warnings on them and kids toy packaging comes festooned with warnings, perhaps common sense has been eroded by junk food and Jerry Springer:)

Oh by the way in this country if you physically try to stop a burglar( by restraining or hitting him)you can be sued as it breaches his human rights under EU legislation.

JRead

"Perhaps its because of your nations inability to accept personal responsibility for their own actions"

And if he was hit in the head by a falling object how exactly is that HIS fault? Not every lawsuit is frivoulous just because there are frivoulous lawsuits. In this country we are gauranteed due process and our right in court, I guess you don't have that in europe. Im pretty sure that you can not state with certaintly that this guy caused the injury, your are ASSUMING. And what happens when you ASSUME? That's right.

"Oh by the way in this country if you physically try to stop a burglar( by restraining or hitting him)you can be sued as it breaches his human rights under EU legislation."

So burglary is a basic human right in europe? That makes me glad to be an American.

I hope you got your little America bash out of your system.

Originally posted by Merlin
I apologize to you if you have found my remarks offensive. But when someone (SKYWAY in this case) says something insulting like, "I'm putting it into laymen's terms...SO YOU'LL UNDERSTAND.", and then proceeds to make some of the most idiotic statements I've ever read on these boards,....well, you can't honestly expect me to RESIST, can you?
. . .
Again, not my intention to offend. But I believe there are times when certain things just need to be stated. Know what I mean?
No need to apologize to me - I wasn't offended (I don't get offended easily). I just thought it wasn't necessary or appropriate.

I've learned at these times that, hard as it is, I have to bite my cyber-tongue. There's really no need to respond to a comment like the "laymen's terms" one - it speaks for itself.

I must admit I was dying to respond as well - hence my more general post above (the thoroughly obnoxous "isn't it obvious?" post).

Maybe it's a gray line, and I'm sure different people on the board have different opinions, but I'm of the opinion that you can be as obnoxious or sarcastic as you want when attacking people's arguments, but you shouldn't make attacks directly on people.

In other words, my scale is here:
OK: "Your argument is stupid!"
Not OK: "You're stupid!"

bvolguards

By your example, if Disney put real rifles with real bullets in the Frontierland Shooting Gallery, and someone decides to shoot other people there, Disney is not at all at fault.

Thats not the same and I will tell you why...In your example Disney is providing the means for someone to injure another (ie providing real bullets)...however, in the space mountain case disney did not provide the means (ie the video camera battery or whatever it was that alledgedly struck that man in the head) that injured the doctor. While disney may be in someway responsible because they may or may not have addressed the previous complaints, they cannot be held responsible for the actions of stupid people who don't have a shread of common sense.....and only three complaints in three years is pretty good considering they have over 7 million riders a year.

Dandyboing

Was trying to stay out of this, but just wanna say a couple of things.

Romero, hospitalized for 12 days, filed a lawsuit against Disney soon after the accident. It is unclear how Romero was injured. He said he doesn't remember what happened

So if he's unclear what happened, why is he filing the lawsuit? Could this just be some hype fed to him by his family?

Romero, hospitalized for 12 days, filed a lawsuit against Disney soon after the accident. It is unclear how Romero was injured. He said he doesn't remember what happened

If it hit the frontal lobe, they why couln't this object fallen from a car in front of him? Just becasue there was a bump, dosen't mean it had to come from above.

I definetly think that Disney has some responsiblity in this case, and that steps coulda been done to prevent it, but the story is not all it seems, there are several holes in the story...

Originally posted by bvolguards

Thats not the same and I will tell you why...In your example Disney is providing the means for someone to injure another (ie providing real bullets)...however, in the space mountain case disney did not provide the means (ie the video camera battery or whatever it was that alledgedly struck that man in the head) that injured the doctor.
Okay, let me stop you here for a second. Two points:
1) Disney did not ensure that loose objects were secured on this ride (by a locker or whatever). They did, in a sense provide the means by providing a jerky ride that causes you to lose objects. To continue with the fun analogy, maybe they didn't provide the bullets, but they provided the guns (the jerky ride) and allowed people to carry the bullets (blunt objects) on board. They could have mitigated this by taking away the bullets (providing lockers), or putting up bulletproof vests (nets). (Okay, I'll stop with the analogy now!:))
2) What if the object that hit the man was the candle in glass that was sold by Disney in the park, and permitted on the ride?
and only three complaints in three years is pretty good considering they have over 7 million riders a year.
First off, it's only three complaints of being hit by flying objects. That being said, I'd be scared to death if I were Disney by this stat - even if only one person a year is hit by a flying object, one of these times it's going to be a full videocamera hitting at just the right speed and angle to instantly kill someone. Again, law of very large numbers at work.

One in 7 million being hit is not odds I'd want to take as Disney, if 7 million a year ride the ride.

That being said, as a rider of the ride, I will continue to ride the ride. Any one individual has a greater chance of being killed in a car crash or even a plane accident when travelling to the park than being hit by a camera battery on Space Mountain. It may sound contradictory, but these views do not conflict. (If anyone is really interested in a full-fledged probability discussion, let me know! It's my area of expertise!)

Dandyboing

First off, it's only three complaints of being hit by flying objects. That being said, I'd be scared to death if I were Disney by this stat - even if only one person a year is hit by a flying object, one of these times it's going to be a full videocamera hitting at just the right speed and angle to instantly kill someone. Again, law of very large numbers at work.

Yes, you think something would have been done about it by now, but if this is they way it's going, they wont do anything until someone dies and they're forced to shut down the ride.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by JRead
So burglary is a basic human right in europe? That makes me glad to be an American.

I enthusiastically second that!! And while I'm at it, here are a few more things that make me glad to be an American:

-Toothpaste
-Skin pigmentation
-The absence of a royal family that does nothing but sit around and cost money
-Having Tony Blair as our own personal puppet
-Being able to drink tap water
-Driving on the correct side of the road
-The existence of tourist attractions worth seeing that were actually built in the 20th century
-Austin Powers

Originally posted by JRead
I hope you got your little America bash out of your system.

I wouldn't count on it! Jealousy toward our way of life runs deep!

DisneyWonders07

As I've read over these posts, I agree with Merlin that if Walt Disney were around, things would be much better. As I've said before, maybe someone like Walt should be running Disney! Also, I've been thinking about it and I think it is true that it would be nice if Disney could put up some nets on the ride or some lockers.:animwink:

darthdarrel

I enthusiastically second that!! And while I'm at it, here are a few more things that make me glad to be an American:

-Toothpaste
-Skin pigmentation
-The existence of tourist attractions worth seeing that were actually built in the 20th century
-Austin Powers

Umm just how is skin pigmentation being american? everbody has it.
Except I`m loosing mine,I have vitiligo!:( Does that mean I am un american?:confused:

tenchu

-Toothpaste
-Skin pigmentation
-Austin Powers

I've no been keeping up with this thread, but I'll assume that was a joke.

Otherwise, you just sound like an ______.

-Toothpaste
We need it - you see how much junk Americans eat?
-Skin pigmentation
Two comments here:
1) Considering we only banned slavery, what, only 150 years ago, I don't think this is where America has particularly shined in the past.
2) What about Michael Jackson? (Sorry, couldn't resist)
Again, sounds a lot like Michael Jackson in the US

Michael Jackson looks like a puppet
Remember my post above about biting my cyber tongue when other posts speak for themselves? Currently biting;)
Stop it! My tongue is really starting to hurt!
You're right - Disneyland Paris stinks!
-Austin Powers
(FourFourSeven can no longer speak - he has bitten his tongue entirely off):zipit:

I know your post was entirely in jest (hence my reply in kind), but it does demonstrate why we are often maligned in Europe. (Is that what you were trying to demonstrate?)

Merlin

Account Suspended
We need it - you see how much junk Americans eat?Two comments here:
1) Considering we only banned slavery, what, only 150 years ago, I don't think this is where America has particularly shined in the past.
2) What about Michael Jackson? (Sorry, couldn't resist)Again, sounds a lot like Michael Jackson in the US
Michael Jackson looks like a puppetRemember my post above about biting my cyber tongue when other posts speak for themselves? Currently biting;)Stop it! My tongue is really starting to hurt!You're right - Disneyland Paris stinks!(FourFourSeven can no longer speak - he has bitten his tongue entirely off):zipit:

I know your post was entirely in jest (hence my reply in kind), but it does demonstrate why we are often maligned in Europe. (Is that what you were trying to demonstrate?) [/B]

FOURFOURSEVEN, you absolutely slay me!! I'm dying here!! I rarely laugh out loud when reading any of these posts!

And yes, my post was in jest....sort of. The truth is, I'm a little sensitive when someone takes cheap shots at my country. Therefore, I make no apologies.

Main Street USA

I absolutely MUST make one last serious reply to this topic, and its a short generalization. Here it is...........get ready.......ready? Ok:

It's impossible to debate with anyone who denies, or doesn't recognize simple logic.

That about sums it up. Thank you.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

-Toothpaste
-Skin pigmentation
-Austin Powers

Im sorry to burst your bubble but this proud Americanism of which you boast has been generated from the work and ethics of many nationalities mainly European. If perhaps you had completed your schooling you may have realised my post was questioning the wisdom about a society and I included my own in this, that is unwilling to except that life is hazardous. Constantly looks for someone to apportion blame and is unwilling to accept that common sense is required.
I take it from your immediate response in terms of anti British post hints at some degree of insecurity, could that be because despite your boast of being American you are not a member of the indigenous population? As for Tony Blair, I have to agree I have put a puppet in power who is so far up the rectum of a thick gimp it is laughable. I too use tooth paste and have quite good teeth not admittedly as false and manufactured as the average spam smile but hey 20 years of playing contact sport will leave some damage.
As for the royals, they have there problems but what is the alternative? Vote for someone who has a tommy tank on a dress or a guy who has never left his country, great choice. As for someone in my mode of employement I have seen first and the farce that is caused by a visit of El Prez and his secret service entourage it dosent come cheap. I was never a monarchist untill I looked at the alternatives, scary..............
My colour im Scottish in the sunshine we turn from our niece healthy blue tone to a pinky white, we leave the skin cancer to you sunshine wallas were happy to make do with heart disease.
Tap Water???? Another product of your weak news or poor education, I think your confusing the UK with some parts of the med, after all what do you think they make whiskey with Perrier?
Ahh the old comment abut history again it appears you who is envious, but you shouldn’t be because lets face it if you study history as an exam you only have a fraction of time to cover compared to the average European.
Austin Powers?????? Isn’t Mike Myers Canadian?

Im disappointed you took my post as an American bash because I’m certainly not, however you talk with much passion about the land of the free and freedom, my post was questioning how free are we if someone has to be told about using bikes on hills etc And again you failed to notice I was generalising about lawyers and lawsuits and there effect on individuals and small business, sorry if that was over your head.
In response to the other post about burglary, I didnt say I agreed with it or that it made sense it is the ruiling of a couple of cases here that highlighted the fine line of what is deemed acceptable force even when a burglar is in your home. The right to bear arms and the right to arm bears is a tough one .

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by happy snapper
Im sorry to burst your bubble but this proud Americanism of which you boast has been generated from the work and ethics of many nationalities<font color = red> (no comma)<font color = black> mainly European. If perhaps you had completed your schooling<font color = red> (no comma)<font color = black> you may have <font color = red>realised (misspelled)<font color = black>my post was questioning the wisdom about a society <font color = red>(and I included my own in this)<font color = black>, that is unwilling to <font color = red>except (Do you mean "accept"?)<font color = black>that life is hazardous. <font color = red>Constantly looks (????)<font color = black>for someone to apportion blame and is unwilling to accept that common sense is required.
I take it from your immediate response in terms of anti British post hints at some degree of insecurity<font color = red>(end of sentence), (should be capitalized)<font color = black>could that be because despite your boast of being American you are not a member of the indigenous population? As for Tony Blair, I have to agree I have put a puppet in power who is so far up the rectum of a thick gimp it is laughable. I too use tooth paste and have quite good teeth <font color = red>(<font color = black>not admittedly as false and manufactured as the average spam smile but hey 20 years of playing contact sport will leave some damage<font color = red>)<font color = black>.
As for the royals, they have there <font color = red>(Don't you mean "their"?)<font color = black>problems<font color = red>(no comma)<font color = black> but what is the alternative? Vote for someone who has a tommy tank on a dress or a guy who has never left his country<font color = red>(should be a "?" here), <font color = black>great <font color = red>(should be capitalized (as in "Great"))<font color = black>choice. As for someone in my mode of employement <font color = red>(Don't you mean "employment"?)<font color = black>I have seen first and the farce that is caused by a visit of El Prez and his secret service entourage it dosent come cheap. <font color = red>(Again....Huh???)<font color = black>I was never a monarchist untill <font color = red>(Don't you mean "until"?)<font color = black>I looked at the alternatives, scary..............
My colour im <font color = red>(Should be capitalized)<font color = black>Scottish in the sunshine we turn from our niece healthy blue tone to a pinky white, we leave the skin cancer to you sunshine wallas were happy to make do with heart disease.
Tap Water???? Another product of your weak news or poor education<font color = red>(end of sentence...no period)<font color = black>, I think your <font color = red>(Don't you mean "you're"?)<font color = black>confusing the UK with some parts of the med, <font color = red>(end of sentence...no period)<font color = Black>after all <font color = red>(should be a comma here)<font color = black>what do you think they make whiskey with<font color = red>(should be a comma here)<font color = black> Perrier?
Ahh the old comment abut history again it appears you who is envious, but you shouldn’t be because lets <font color = red>(should be an apostrophe in "let's")<font color = black>face it if you study history as an exam you only have a fraction of time to cover compared to the average European.
Austin Powers?????? Isn’t Mike Myers Canadian?

Well, I've grown bored correcting all your grammar. What was it you were saying about lack of education?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom