News Space Mountain exit being worked on

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Makes as much sense as a conical white building sending people out on a crazy spaceflight.
There’s a backstory that was never adequately publicly explained. The building is a space port, the blue comet tunnel and red re entry tunnels are meant to be “wormhole” type effects that transport you to and from outer space from the port.

tparris

I also remember someone mentioning a loud noise by load on the standby side. Does anyone know if this was in this thread or a different one? I noticed the loud mechanical noise they mentioned on standby, and it was on the FastPass side as well, but was less loud. They asked if this had always been a thing and if it had been piped in as part of the sound effects or something else. It very much sounded to me like the lift hills bringing the ride vehicles up to load from the unload beneath it were lacking maintenance. I hadn't noticed this noise on either side last year.
I always hear the lift hill when I’m there, on both alpha and omega sides.

Bocabear

I think the first year it opened, the explanation of the backstory was a little more evident... Once you entered the building, you were on a space station observing the wonders of space through the window prts with explanations of what you were seeing... You were going to be taking a space transport back to earth... and when you exited your rocket shuttle you were treated to a view of the home of future living back on earth...brought to you by RCA... Leading the way into the future....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think the first year it opened, the explanation of the backstory was a little more evident... Once you entered the building, you were on a space station observing the wonders of space through the window prts with explanations of what you were seeing... You were going to be taking a space transport back to earth... and when you exited your rocket shuttle you were treated to a view of the home of future living back on earth...brought to you by RCA... Leading the way into the future....
Originally when you entered you saw RCA products in the first sets of windows! I admit the wormhole is a flimsy story (how come when you were at load, pre 2010, you were still on earth but could look up into space) but that’s the official storyline as per the design. The blue tunnel wormhole took you to the space station launch dock, then you launched (as per the original graphics), then the red wormhole was re entry back to Earth.

montyz81

Originally when you entered you saw RCA products in the first sets of windows! I admit the wormhole is a flimsy story (how come when you were at load, pre 2010, you were still on earth but could look up into space) but that’s the official storyline as per the design. The blue tunnel wormhole took you to the space station launch dock, then you launched (as per the original graphics), then the red wormhole was re entry back to Earth.
It seems like many of the backstories have all been bastardized starting in the Eisner era and continuing the ruining right up till now. This would make Walt turn over in his grave since the storyline was so important to him. I just hope they never ruin the opening credits as you walk down Main Street.

999th Happy Haunt

It seems like many of the backstories have all been bastardized starting in the Eisner era and continuing the ruining right up till now. This would make Walt turn over in his grave since the storyline was so important to him. I just hope they never ruin the opening credits as you walk down Main Street.
Walt made the original pirates have time travel, teleportation, and a finale of a boat going up a waterfall. The backstory never had to make perfect sense. Walt just needed a time and a place to immerse guests.

The Empress Lilly

To me, Space Mountain's story comes to you as if in a dream. Not literally, but in the sense that the different elements are there but not detailed, unspecified, not adhering to strict chronology, the laws of time and place don't apply.

You walk through a space tunnel, looking outside into space, watching the spaceships shooting by that you later enter at the boarding platform presumably set on earth, underneath a starry sky, you then enter a deep space wormhole, shooting through space only to then go up the long take-off at the space station. You fly through space in that very 50s freeflowing cartoon style, not in the serious style of neighbouring Mission to the Moon / Mars and its EPCOT godchild M:S.

Lots of space age futurism all around, back when space exploration and futuristic progress where almost one, so an excellent place to showcase future RCA tech, which felt less of a stretch than it would to showcase, say, IStuff now.

peter11435

Well yes in the sense that you can exit indoors again. No in the sense that these unspeakable tightwads couldn't afford what every shop can, an automated walkway.

Somehow half a century of immense progress and economic growth has resulted in WDW not being able to afford 1960s tech in the 2020's.
Every shop has an automated walkway?

Where do you live?

T.Will

The whole concept of a space "mountain" really doesn't make any sense when you think about it.

Still a great ride though.
To me, Space Mountain is not about telling a story but giving an experience. A feeling of spaceflight. For a coaster, a feeling of an environment is all it needs. Like bobsledding down Matterhorn, or speeding through LA blaring Aerosmith.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom