Space Mountain 2.0 rumor update

Pete C

Original Poster
From Screamscape...sure, not the most reliable buy hey, this is the news and rumors forum:

Space Mountain 2.0 - Rumor - Screamscape sources tell us that Disney has already signed some contact with with Vekoma to perform some kind of upgrade to Space Mountain starting sometime in 2008. Right now it seems there is much discussion about how far to take it with one side pushing for a complete overhaul of the existing layout and new trains that will feature an audio system, while others are still pushing for the more costly complete ride system replacement as was done at Disneyland. Obviously the cost of a complete replacement is much higher than a general overhaul with only partial replacement where needed so they have to decide what the ROI (return on investment) will be to warrant the more costly option. Either way however, they want new trains with an audio system, so at least that is in the pipe, however don’t expect any major upgrades to the queue area.

pax_65

I hope they go for the total replacement. For those who remember, Space Mountain used to be THE ride at WDW - and the most exciting, most innovative, most unique, and SCARIEST thrill ride ANYWHERE. Riding it now is like taking a trip down memory lane - remembering what it was like to ride it when you were younger. My kids ride it and aren't very impressed - they've been on bigger, faster, scarier rides (including RnRC). This isn't the way it should be... Space Mountain should be the king of Disney thrill rides! It should be fully updated so a new generation can be totally blown away by it the way I was the first time I rode it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Keep the layout - though improve the track quality. A super smooth ride. Go for an all out effects-laden experience. THAT`ll being the original SM back upto scratch. There is nothing that would be gained with a new layout would make it king again; the world is full of indoor coasters now. Inversions, launches, speed, G Force - all have been done by Disney and others. They are nothing new, not to mention it`ll limit the age limit. Make it as accessible as today, but with the combined effects R&D from Paris 1&2, DLC, Tokyo (can't wait!) - take the effects to a dark ride level of intensity. PotC, HM, Horizons, WoM, JII, CTX - that level of effects detail.

hokielutz

From an ROI perspective... it may make more sense to the decision makers to go with a general refurb with new vehicles... but no change in the current layout other than repair & replace.

The Magic Kingdom has not lost ground in the last decade for park attendance and Space Mountain still garners some of the highest attendance in the park, along with fellow headliners - BTMR and Splash. As long as Space Mountain remains operational... it is very probable that the queues it commands will not diminish much. So spending $20+ million on a complete demolition of the system, redesign and construction may not be that appetising to park management. But spending $5 million or less for rehabbing it to like-new conditions and adding a few plusses could be the way they go.

I know this will not be a popular response and it isn't to me. But from a number crunching standpoint - this gets the best ROI.

SeanC

Having been on DL's Space alot after it reopened, I think WDW's needs a major overhaul...I'm fine keeping the track layout and 1x seating...but it needs to be smoother, DARKER is the big thing, you really can't see the track or infrastructure at all in DL anymore, which makes for a much more exciting experience, and the star field is so dense and crisp, WDW needs to deal with that as well. And onboard audio...much more emersive. (They combine to make it feel alot faster btw) Also, in terms of "story" I think they should move the light tunnel near the end to the actual end. At DL they call it the Reentry Tunnel, its a much longer piece of track now and the effects are amazing. I don't love the lift hill at WDW as much either, but I can live with it for maintaining history. However, to close the light leaks, I personally would make it a tunnel, enclosing the side tracks that the ride passes through as well. I'd also close off the "Ceiling" of the queue area for the same reason. Maybe do some cool video effects on the new ceiling to make up for closing off views of the ride.

Lee

Adventurer
But spending $5 million or less for rehabbing it to like-new conditions and adding a few plusses could be the way they go.

$5 million won't begin to do it. Even the most minor refurb will hit $10million easily. I expect, if they don't replace all the track, for a $20 million job. If they do replace the whole track.....triple that.

huntzilla

:( i guess I'm the only one who dosen't want to change ot at all. I like the campy, old, sci fi feel of it. i think everything about the ride is great. The queue, the ride, and end queue, all of it is great. If they want to change the track that could be ok but just don't change the end queue please.

hokielutz

As I said before... I don't like the ROI based decision. Its safe, it will keep the attraction's fan base amused, and most of all... it keeps the park's bottom line looking good.

The fact that they are even considering a redesign is a positive step. What may keep them from moving forward with the more expensive option is SM's current popularity.
But... What if SM started to become unpopular? The following events could follow:
  • Queue lines would gradually shorten
  • This could also have a ripple effect on the rest of Tomorrow land by reducing foot traffic through this part of the MK.
  • This would apply pressure on the queues of the other attractions.
  • Drastically longer lines during non-holiday weeks would mean unhappy guests.
  • Unhappy guests could go to other parks in or out of the world.
  • Ultimately less revenue for the parks & worse bottom line.
(Granted this is a worst case scenario, but parts of it could be very real)

A Major redesign could keep and expand the popularity of the ride for ages to come. It could also shuttle people through the ride at a faster and more efficient rate than the current design since each set of cars only holds 6 passengers. Disney will keep with Walt's vision of innovative technology in an immersive environment . They will also have something new to advertise to its guests.

Price is probably not too much of an issue for Disney, but they are probably hesitant. My argument from earlier about ROI validates it.
Bottom line is SM needs the major redesign. Staying the same makes it only a dark kiddie coaster and could doom its future as well as that of Tomorrow Land.
(how can Tomorrow Land keep its name if its major headliner is stuck in yesterday?)

tink81

I was in DL two weeks ago, and I thought the new Chilli Peppers soundtrack on SM was a little too much RNRC and not enough Space Mountain. The premise was that The Red Hot Chilli Peppers were doing a concert at a space port or something like that. I think this is only temporary, though. I rode the DL's SM version 2 in 2005 and loved it, but I still like WDWs better. Dunno why, just do. It could stand to be a little darker in there, though...

hokielutz

$5 million won't begin to do it. Even the most minor refurb will hit $10million easily. I expect, if they don't replace all the track, for a $20 million job. If they do replace the whole track.....triple that.

Well you are more in the know of the price tags that are getting tossed around for these projects. My main point is either way the spend money... a lot for a redesign or a little for refurb and new carts... it may not change the size of the queue or park attendance.

tnchefbear

I agree that to totally redo this ride would not be cost effective or practical... while it may not still be true, I talked to one of the designers of Splash Mountain many years ago and at that time they were talking about redoing the track and layout in Space Mountain, but to many peoples surprise, no other track layout would fit in the existing space... to change the layout significantly, they were going to have to change the building as well and that was not an option, at that point...

In my opinion, if it could be made darker, and smoother, and increase the level of the special effects as well as adding better audio effects, this ride will still and always be one of the signature attractions of MK

WDWGuide

It's probably wishful thinking, but I hope they go for a track replacement and make it more of a DL-style "standard" steel coaster instead of the current "wild mouse" design. This style of coaster is rough by design, and it would be quite difficult to create a smoother ride without replacing the track.

disney9752

while im not a big rider of sm, i'll sum this up on sm, hm, jungle cruise & the many other rehabs that need 2 be done at wdw. MICKEY GET OFF YOUR CHEAP BUTT...................some people will be ticked off that their favorite attraction is closed when they go,GET OVER IT, it will be better when you come back. as far as i know sm is working on technolgy from 74-75, hm from 71 & neither have had a good long rehab in AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGES, IT IS PAST DUE...:fork:

ToTBellHop

I just hope if they do keep the current track they don't do what DL did with their 1998 Space Mountain redo and end up with a ride that is on the verge of falling to pieces by 2015.

askmike1

My opinion: Screw the audio, beef up the effects. I'd rather see a general refurb that seals off all light leaks and adds killer new effects (a floating cookie can only go so far).

sknydave

I like the current rough style. I would like to just see some nice effects added in.. Maybe some track changes and possibly some more comfortable seats? yeeeeouch! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom