News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

cosmicgirl

Ever been to the huntsville Us Space and Rocket Center? It super impressive to look up above you to that Saturn V and realize how big it really was, or seeing The Space Shuttle Enterprise, and how big they really were....
No, I haven't been there but even if I had I fail to see your point. This is not an hour away from KSC but nearly 10 hours. It wouldn't compete with a potential Epcot space pavillion because it's simply too far away.

Seeing a Shuttle and a Saturn V is indeed impressive. That is exactly why I believe it is more appealing to a space enthusiast to see the real deal when it's just an hour away from Epcot.

GlacierGlacier

Ever been to the huntsville Us Space and Rocket Center? It super impressive to look up above you to that Saturn V and realize how big it really was, or seeing The Space Shuttle Enterprise, and how big they really were....
I think they were talking about the Kennedy Space Center. But both are amazing.

The Atlantis exhibit though at KSC? Superb. Especially with a ride of the same style as Star Tours, just with a shuttle launch. I'm pretty sure it's similar hardware, too.

aladdin2007

I think they were talking about the Kennedy Space Center. But both are amazing.

The Atlantis exhibit though at KSC? Superb. Especially with a ride of the same style as Star Tours, just with a shuttle launch. I'm pretty sure it's similar hardware, too.

They have some amazing exhibits and effects that Disney could learn a thing or two from or implement (if they werent so intent now on turning their parks into disney springs extensions), I was really impressed with KSC.

No Name

Agreed. A full-blown space pavillion would've been great. I always thought they decided to forego that because KSC's right around the corner.

That would be a reason why they did decide to build a space pavilion. It’s part of their business model, especially under Michael Eisner and co. Universal announced they were building a park in Orlando so TWDC decided to build a studio park to compete. The whole idea was for WDW to offer everything so it would be a complete trip in and of itself and there would be no compulsion to leave property. I will write more about it sometime but I’d say it worked pretty damn well.

cosmicgirl

That would be a reason why they did decide to build a space pavilion. It’s part of their business model, especially under Michael Eisner and co. Universal announced they were building a park in Orlando so TWDC decided to build a studio park to compete. The whole idea was for WDW to offer everything so it would be a complete trip in and of itself and there would be no compulsion to leave property. I will write more about it sometime but I’d say it worked pretty damn well.
You are absolutely correct that they've succeeded in creating an environment where you can stay for 2 weeks without leaving. However, to anyone with even a mild interest in space an Epcot space pavillion could never replace seeing an actual rocket on a launch pad in the same location where they sent people to the moon. It would work if KSC was a day's drive away but it's not.

I'll go back to the same example I've used before: I love the safari in AK but it wouldn't work in Kenya.

briangaw

You are absolutely correct that they've succeeded in creating an environment where you can stay for 2 weeks without leaving. However, to anyone with even a mild interest in space an Epcot space pavillion could never replace seeing an actual rocket on a launch pad in the same location where they sent people to the moon. It would work if KSC was a day's drive away but it's not.

I'll go back to the same example I've used before: I love the safari in AK but it wouldn't work in Kenya.

Funny enough if memory serves me right Disney did consider bidding on the operations contract for KSC from NASA. Not sure if they actually made a bid or not in the end, but they definitely were in on the initial meetings and tours.

Brian Swan

I have always focussed forward and I'm completely fine with the teacups, so who knows! I do think people are more aware of the ride mechanics than you might imagine, and also tidbits like the fact it is the only Disney attraction with sick bags amplify the message of it having the potential to cause nausea. Thinking back to when it opened, most of the press coverage was around how intense it was, the sick bags, and then people dying. So this general idea of the ride as super intense has probably settled over it and, personally, I don't think the experience itself is spectacular enough to entice nervous people to give it a shot. It's a real shame considering how much they spent on it!

The restaurant, though, goes some way to fulfilling the potential of a space pavilion to be a fun, immersive environment for all ages. It seems very much in tune with the original spirit of EPCOT, too, and nicely balances the Coral Reef restaurant over the other side of the park. As others have mentioned, though, they really should also build-up the post-ride area to have more activities.
I don't have time for a discourse in vestibular physiology, but this does a pretty good job of explaining why mission space gets (some) people sick.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a036899.pdf

Personally, I like to move my head around to get the rush, but it's not for everyone. I like the ride even more after a La Cava margarita or two...

Movielover

Ahhh... withe the cancellation of the shuttle program and no real promising progress from the various commercial "space companies", it's going to be a LONG time before there's an actual orbiting restaurant to serve as a point of comparison...

Quote from SpaceX's website,
"Our aspirational goal is to send our first cargo mission to Mars in 2022."

I would say thats pretty grand progress comparably to where we were just a couple years ago...

deeevo

Quote from SpaceX's website,
"Our aspirational goal is to send our first cargo mission to Mars in 2022."

I would say thats pretty grand progress comparably to where we were just a couple years ago...
The only man-rated capsule they had blew up so I would say Mars in 2022 is out of the question. It is much harder it is to send humans into space then a supply capsule and getting humans to Mars and back will be a extraordinary feat.

lazyboy97o

The only man-rated capsule they had blew up so I would say Mars in 2022 is out of the question. It is much harder it is to send humans into space then a supply capsule and getting humans to Mars and back will be a extraordinary feat.
The Demo-1 vehicle was not the only Dragon Crew capsule. The Demo-2 mission, previously targeted for as early as next month, was going to use a different capsule.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom