News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

Sir_Cliff

BTM is just as popular now as it was before the accident, though, so I don't think that's it. And surely people have died after riding other attractions due to some underlying condition they were not aware of. Yet those rides aren't less popular because of it.

As for the warnings: as far as Disney parks go I found the original SM in DLP (de la Terre à la Lune) to have the scariest warnings. There was a TV pretty much around every corner of the queue warning you about the extreme ride and, if anything, it built the excitement and attracted more people rather than scare them away. M:S is simply highly underrated imo.
I think a lot of people are very wary of attractions that spin you around simply because those types of attractions make a lot of people feel sick. The people dying on the ride probably made people's wariness even greater, but beyond that I just think there are a lot of people who won't go on spinning attractions more so than those who will avoid roller coasters.

Personally, I like the green version but the orange version is the only attraction I remember going on anywhere that left me feeling nauseous afterwards. I've never been someone susceptible to any kind of motion sickness, but for some reason I'm always left feeling unwell for about half an hour after getting off M:S orange. So, I wouldn't go on it again and I would caution anyone who tends to get any kind of motion sickness to steer clear.

MickeyMouse10

"Special limited-edition Tang, made specially for Walt Disney World resort! Only $14.99 (non-refillable)!!! Get it in a special souvenir Space Glass for only $19.99 extra!!!"

Whoa, what a deal! I've got to put that on my Christmas list. I've been good too, I haven't killed anyone in months.

Last edited:

cosmicgirl

I think a lot of people are very wary of attractions that spin you around simply because those types of attractions make a lot of people feel sick. The people dying on the ride probably made people's wariness even greater, but beyond that I just think there are a lot of people who won't go on spinning attractions more so than those who will avoid roller coasters.

Personally, I like the green version but the orange version is the only attraction I remember going on anywhere that left me feeling nauseous afterwards. I've never been someone susceptible to any kind of motion sickness, but for some reason I'm always left feeling unwell for about half an hour after getting off M:S orange. So, I wouldn't go on it again and I would caution anyone who tends to get any kind of motion sickness to steer clear.
It's like the teacups, you have to focus on the center of rotation. ;)
In all seriousness, I've felt the difference on M:S when you look to the side for a sec. If you look straight ahead and focus on your cockpit it makes a huge difference. As with a full-motion flight simulator it can mess you up if what you're seeing doesn't match up with what you're feeling.

But still, none of the first-time visitors would know the ride mechanics, right? So it still surprizes me it doesn't attract more people. Maybe the restaurant will help to draw a crowd.

Sir_Cliff

It's like the teacups, you have to focus on the center of rotation. ;)
In all seriousness, I've felt the difference on M:S when you look to the side for a sec. If you look straight ahead and focus on your cockpit it makes a huge difference. As with a full-motion flight simulator it can mess you up if what you're seeing doesn't match up with what you're feeling.

But still, none of the first-time visitors would know the ride mechanics, right? So it still surprizes me it doesn't attract more people. Maybe the restaurant will help to draw a crowd.
I have always focussed forward and I'm completely fine with the teacups, so who knows! I do think people are more aware of the ride mechanics than you might imagine, and also tidbits like the fact it is the only Disney attraction with sick bags amplify the message of it having the potential to cause nausea. Thinking back to when it opened, most of the press coverage was around how intense it was, the sick bags, and then people dying. So this general idea of the ride as super intense has probably settled over it and, personally, I don't think the experience itself is spectacular enough to entice nervous people to give it a shot. It's a real shame considering how much they spent on it!

The restaurant, though, goes some way to fulfilling the potential of a space pavilion to be a fun, immersive environment for all ages. It seems very much in tune with the original spirit of EPCOT, too, and nicely balances the Coral Reef restaurant over the other side of the park. As others have mentioned, though, they really should also build-up the post-ride area to have more activities.

No Name

Mission Space doesn't have an IP, is edutainment, and fits more in with the theme of Future World than any other current pavilion. It should be the perfect FW pavilion in the eyes of all who bemoan the direction Epcot is heading.

And Disney fans hate it.

This is why Future World is going away.

Also...

Maybe because the ride itself is a vomit closet. If it was a GotG vomit closet people would still dislike it. It gets low ratings especially for a thrill ride and it always has. It hurts your noggin if you’re not in your prime.

People on the whole highly regard the original test track and even the current version, that’s a far better example. Some people here are stubborn but when Disney does something smart there’s general approval.

cosmicgirl

I have always focussed forward and I'm completely fine with the teacups, so who knows! I do think people are more aware of the ride mechanics than you might imagine, and also tidbits like the fact it is the only Disney attraction with sick bags amplify the message of it having the potential to cause nausea. Thinking back to when it opened, most of the press coverage was around how intense it was, the sick bags, and then people dying. So this general idea of the ride as super intense has probably settled over it and, personally, I don't think the experience itself is spectacular enough to entice nervous people to give it a shot. It's a real shame considering how much they spent on it!

The restaurant, though, goes some way to fulfilling the potential of a space pavilion to be a fun, immersive environment for all ages. It seems very much in tune with the original spirit of EPCOT, too, and nicely balances the Coral Reef restaurant over the other side of the park. As others have mentioned, though, they really should also build-up the post-ride area to have more activities.
Agreed. A full-blown space pavillion would've been great. I always thought they decided to forego that because KSC's right around the corner.

MickeyMouse10

Yeah, a Space pavilion set up like The Land building would be awesome. This way you could have 2 or 3 attractions in the building. Rather than 1 that many people hate more than their mother in law. It's like riding my.... oh wait never mind.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Agreed. A full-blown space pavillion would've been great. I always thought they decided to forego that because KSC's right around the corner.

If anything, that could have given Disney MORE reason to open a full Space themed pavilion, since they like to do that when competing with local parks:

See: Disney MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, The Living Seas pavilion

cosmicgirl

If anything, that could have given Disney MORE reason to open a full Space themed pavilion, since they like to do that when competing with local parks:

See: Disney MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, The Living Seas pavilion
There's a difference between competing with another park that has created a similar fake environment and competing with the real thing.

While I'm sure WDI could do an amazing job on a space pavillion if given a suitable budget, to anyone with a soft spot for space it's never going to compare to seeing the Shuttle, the VAB, the launch pads, the Saturn V, the landing site, etc. It would be like building the AK safari in Kenya/South Africa/Namibia/... and trying to compete with the parks there.

Mainahman

There's a difference between competing with another park that has created a similar fake environment and competing with the real thing.

While I'm sure WDI could do an amazing job on a space pavillion if given a suitable budget, to anyone with a soft spot for space it's never going to compare to seeing the Shuttle, the VAB, the launch pads, the Saturn V, the landing site, etc. It would be like building the AK safari in Kenya/South Africa/Namibia/... and trying to compete with the parks there.

Ever been to the huntsville Us Space and Rocket Center? It super impressive to look up above you to that Saturn V and realize how big it really was, or seeing The Space Shuttle Enterprise, and how big they really were....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom