News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

lazyboy97o

I guess this also further's the mystery of what's going on with the WoL pavilion? Putting the space restaurant in there seemed like the "easy" explanation as to why they're doing all that roof work, but now that we definitively know that the space restaurant is going elsewhere, I guess we can continue to debate what they're going to do with WoL.
The easy explanation is that roofs have a finite useful life and require work.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I thought for sure they'd use one of the centrifuges so they could spin the dining room around really fast creating an artifical gravity with tables on the "walls". Looks like they'll have to go mainstream with this design. ;) I guess it'll do just the same. Something new is something new. (Actually looking forward to this when/if it opens.)
Talk about your "spin and puke"...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Letting a roof go without repair would only needlessly increase the cost of reopening the pavilion as an attraction. Roof maintenance is also more the domain of FAM than it is WDI.

Absolutely true.

Still doesn't explain why Chapek and a coterie of execs checked out WoL and Imagination recently. If a coincidence, it would be spectacularly coincidental.

MrPromey

Letting a roof go without repair would only needlessly increase the cost of reopening the pavilion as an attraction. Roof maintenance is also more the domain of FAM than it is WDI.

The repair at least indicates they have a long-term plan to keep the structure for something - that they aren't just using it while it's there because it's there until there is a real cost associated with keeping it going.

I don't know. Maybe they use it for a lot of private stuff I'm unaware of but it always felt like it was just taking up space waiting to be torn down or whatever when they were half-heartedly trotting it out for flower and garden and sometimes food and wine every year and then leaving it locked up the rest of the time with no visible progress inside of anything being done from year-to-year. It always felt detached and like a poor location for what they were using it for so I didn't expect that to go on indefinitely.

I half expected they'd bulldoze it at the first sign of trouble so them not doing so gives me a tinge of hope... even if it just ends up being the spill-over line space for GOTG. :rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

Absolutely true.

Still doesn't explain why Chapek and a coterie of execs checked out WoL and Imagination recently. If a coincidence, it would be spectacularly coincidental.
What makes it spectacular? The Wonders of Life pavilion was not being used as a festival center, allowing for good access throughout the facility to review it.

The repair at least indicates they have a long-term plan to keep the structure for something - that they aren't just using it while it's there because it's there until there is a real cost associated with keeping it going.

I don't know. Maybe they use it for a lot of private stuff I'm unaware of but it always felt like it was just taking up space waiting to be torn down or whatever when they were half-heartedly trotting it out for flower and garden and sometimes food and wine every year and then leaving it locked up the rest of the time with no visible progress inside of anything being done from year-to-year. It always felt detached and like a poor location for what they were using it for so I didn't expect that to go on indefinitely.

I half expected they'd bulldoze it at the first sign of trouble so them not doing so gives me a tinge of hope... even if it just ends up being the spill-over line space for GOTG. :rolleyes:
Disney has maintained facilities that were not long for the world. It’s different people making these decisions. Walt Disney Imagineering does not maintain the facilities of any park.

Kman101

FAM has been known to repaint/refurbish buildings just months before they are demolished.

But we know it's not going anywhere. And it's no longer being used to host the festivals. I mean, if it walks like a duck ...

Not saying the work is related to anything in the future. I do think people are reading too much into that. But it's hard to separate the two for some because of the potential of life in there again, whatever it may be. Although a lot of these things go hand in hand without us realizing they go hand in hand.

peter11435

But we know it's not going anywhere. And it's no longer being used to host the festivals. I mean, if it walks like a duck ...

Not saying the work is related to anything in the future. I do think people are reading too much into that. But it's hard to separate the two for some because of the potential of life in there again, whatever it may be. Although a lot of these things go hand in hand without us realizing they go hand in hand.
I didn’t mean to imply that WOL was going anywhere. Just pointing out that necessary maintenance (and sometimes even unnecessary maintenance) is not an indicator of a future or lack there of at Walt Disney World.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom