South American tour groups now on property in big numbers

When I was at Disney World in February 2008 there were a ton of touring groups not to mention the cheerleading groups. Everyday we were in the parks, mostly Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom we ran into 5-10 different groups. Sometimes I even thought Disney added a cheerleading attraction because every time we turned around they were practicing right in the middle of the park, lol.

WDWcouple

We went last year during tour group season, and my husband did something that was absolutely genius. Being a larger gentleman of 6'6" and 285lbs he does a good job creating a barricade in line. We happened to be on line for Soaring during one of the 120 min wait days, and there was an actually rather pleasantly behaved tour group of 10 or so kids in yellow shirts right in front of us. From behind us (and I have no clue how they made it this far because they would have had to cut about an hours worth of line waiting people behind us by this point) shows up about 10 kids with the same shirts. Now I'm thinking "They're not too bad, let em ride with their friends.. they've made it this far"

My husband, after a decent afternoon of libations around World Showcase breaks out the worst Spanish/Portuguese/English I've ever heard... he ended up making a deal with the kids.. They can get in front of us.. if we can get in front of their group.. Five mins later we move up 20 people and we're in front of their group, and they're all together.. The big goof still gloats about it... So next time you're faced with the line cutters.. think 2 steps ahead

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
We went last year during tour group season, and my husband did something that was absolutely genius. Being a larger gentleman of 6'6" and 285lbs he does a good job creating a barricade in line. We happened to be on line for Soaring during one of the 120 min wait days, and there was an actually rather pleasantly behaved tour group of 10 or so kids in yellow shirts right in front of us. From behind us (and I have no clue how they made it this far because they would have had to cut about an hours worth of line waiting people behind us by this point) shows up about 10 kids with the same shirts. Now I'm thinking "They're not too bad, let em ride with their friends.. they've made it this far"

My husband, after a decent afternoon of libations around World Showcase breaks out the worst Spanish/Portuguese/English I've ever heard... he ended up making a deal with the kids.. They can get in front of us.. if we can get in front of their group.. Five mins later we move up 20 people and we're in front of their group, and they're all together.. The big goof still gloats about it... So next time you're faced with the line cutters.. think 2 steps ahead
That is absolutely brilliant.

BrerFrog

Absolutely awesome! I will keep that in mind next time around.

gccgrad1996

We had a horrible experience this year with the South American tour groups. We go every summer and always see them, but not in these numbers. I even talked to a girl who worked at one of the resorts and she said this year was more crowded with these groups then ever. We day we were sitting having lunch in the magic kingdom and counted 10 different groups.
The people were very rude standing and crowding walkways and not moving out of the way of others. They sit on the ground and leave their garbage around when they get up. The never broke apart and stayed in huge groups where ever they went. Ride wait times went from 10 minutes to 40 minutes when they got in line. They also would save places in line for others and knock over people to catch up with their group. My sister in law who is pregnant was knocked over and my 4 year old niece was knocked to the ground by a group rushing to meet up with the rest of their group waiting for the Lion King Show. A security guard saw my sister-in-law visibly upset and asked her what happened, but nothing came of her complaint.
Needless to say we will never return in July.

sweetpee_1993

Along the same lines...after a particularly rude bump-in with a Spanish-speaking woman at Pop in early 2007 I had a dear friend of mine who is from Venezuela teach me some Spanish for future use: Esto es América. Hable inglés. :D

Disneygirl91395

When I've encountered these groups for the most part other than them taking up a lot of space in line they've been fine. The only bad experiance was when we went last February, my little cousin (who's 4) and I were sitting on the curb waiting for the nighttime parade and these group of people from south america came over and squished into the small area next to us. Now maybe you could fit 5 people in that space but there were at least 15 of them, all adults. First just tried to push us over a little which we did but they wouldn't stop so I just set my cousin in my lap giving them space for another person. But they still didn't quit pushing and eventually we were almost sitting on top of the people on our other side. After 5 more minutes of being pushed my cousin started to cry and I had to pick her up and walk her to the back of the crowd and we had to leave because she was crying so hard about loosing her front row spot. I get they don't speak english but there is no need to push and shove (especially when you're a group of adults, don't you think that front row spot is a little more important to the 4 year old than you...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom