Sounds Dangerous + Idol = new attraction?

menamechris

I think a big thing people aren't looking at... Disney needs a new Water Park on property. Really helps out the crowds at the regular parks, especially peak seasons. 2 just isn't enough. I have a tough time waiting in a line forever for a 10 second water slide.

As much as I would like to see a 3rd waterpark come, it won't happen. They already only open one water park for almost 6 months out of the year. (yes, I know they call it "refurbishment' - but thats really Disney code for "not enough guests to justify keeping 2 open"). Again, it would be awesome, but probably not going to happen.

Mike730

To be honest, as much as I would adore it, I think a Lucasland is no where near possible because of lucas himself. But something worthwhile really ought to go in this area(SD+AIE) It's a prime location right in the middle of the park and is quite a large area.
Also, with everyone throwing out ideas here about DHS and possible refurbs, is there anyone who can confirm or disprove that there IS in fact an empty soundstage next to Toy Story Mania and that it isn't used by this ride?

wdwfan4ver

That's not really true. last season was one of their best and still ranked as a top 5 viewed show in the country.

The theme park attraction just wasn't well thought out.

What you are saying isn't quite true. While is still a top 5 viewed show, the ratings are not what they were. The shows peak in rating was around 2007.

The rating for the premiere of American Idol for season 10 was 26.23. That is lower than season 9 that had a 29.95 rating for its premier.

American Idol highest for a premiere is season 6 with a 37.44 and the rating has gotten lower each season premiere since with season 10 being the lowest rating for an American Idol premier since season 1. Season 11 is going to interesting if that trend is continuing for the season premiere.

American Idol also had a demographic that has to be bothering Fox because the viewer demographic has continued to age year by year. American Idol for season 1 had a median age of 32.1, but Season 10 had a median age of 47.2. The median age has to be a concern for TV executives if that trend continues in the feature.

Kirk88

OK, this is a bit off topic but, how did Disney get American Idol anyway? Idol is a FOX show and Disney is affiliated with ABC. Also, from the way things are going, there are going to be quite a few empty buildings on HS property now. Sounds Dangersous & Narnia are done. Sounds like AIE isn't far behind.....

midwest_mice

Muppet ride or Monster Inc ride would definately alleviate the congestion at Toy Story Mania. With The Muppets having a successful new movie, they should consider a whole Muppets Land. Another attraction they could put in Sounds Dangerous is the old Mickey Mouse Revue, but I think that went oversees to another park.

menamechris

Also, from the way things are going, there are going to be quite a few empty buildings on HS property now. Sounds Dangersous & Narnia are done. Sounds like AIE isn't far behind.....

This is why I have a feeling certain projects must be on the verge of being greenlit (whatever those projects may be). If AI is, in fact, getting ready to close in the near future, that will be a huge people-eater that is gone. I am hoping management is starting to understand why HS is currently in last place for their theme parks. They need to do something that will separate itself from Universal. Years ago, I knew many people who would go to HS as a substitute for Universal. Now because of Harry Potter - it is an obvious choice to do Universal instead of HS.

InsiderImagine

This is why I have a feeling certain projects must be on the verge of being greenlit (whatever those projects may be). If AI is, in fact, getting ready to close in the near future, that will be a huge people-eater that is gone. I am hoping management is starting to understand why HS is currently in last place for their theme parks. They need to do something that will separate itself from Universal. Years ago, I knew many people who would go to HS as a substitute for Universal. Now because of Harry Potter - it is an obvious choice to do Universal instead of HS.

American Idol is not far behind.

If ratings dip yet again for this show, then the attraction will also disappear.

Many projects are waiting to be started for Hollywood Studios, and an announcement should be made for at least one fairly shortly.

Skyway

Any more on the rumor that the theater would be converted to a full blown Jedi Training experience, set in the swamp with an animatronic Yoda?

I have a feeling that as long as avatar is being done lucasland probrobly won't happen because they don't want another science fiction area. I LOVE the muppets idea and I wished that they would green light muppet studios after 20 years.

RSoxNo1

OK, this is a bit off topic but, how did Disney get American Idol anyway? Idol is a FOX show and Disney is affiliated with ABC. Also, from the way things are going, there are going to be quite a few empty buildings on HS property now. Sounds Dangersous & Narnia are done. Sounds like AIE isn't far behind.....

American Idol is a separate entity than Fox, and I assume it isn't owned by Fox. The rumors were that Disney didn't pay for this attraction at all, but evidently that's not true and they actually paid over $50 million for it. All things considered, the theater is very impressive, but the show is obviously not compelling enough. I'm somewhat surprised that they still have so many shows each day, some format changes can change the appeal. You can put this show out in 20-30 minutes if you really want to.

wdwfan4ver

Muppet ride or Monster Inc ride would definately alleviate the congestion at Toy Story Mania. With The Muppets having a successful new movie, they should consider a whole Muppets Land. Another attraction they could put in Sounds Dangerous is the old Mickey Mouse Revue, but I think that went oversees to another park.

Mickey Mouse Revue was at Tokyo Disneyland up to 2009. It has not been at another Park since than. Tokyo Disneyland replaced Mickey Mouse Revue with Mickey's PhilharMagic

Shanghai Disneyland is the only oversees park that could get Mickey Mouse Revue, but it is unlikely. Mickey's PhilharMagic seems to be the more logical attraction for Shanghai Disneyland due to the fact 2 oversees Disney Theme Parks have it and is a younger attraction than Mickey Mouse Revue is. The thing is there hasn't been a lot of attractions announced Shanghai Disneyland yet.

wdwfan4ver

American Idol is not far behind.

If ratings dip yet again for this show, then the attraction will also disappear.

Many projects are waiting to be started for Hollywood Studios, and an announcement should be made for at least one fairly shortly.

Will it be part of surprise announcement for New Years Eve, or will the announcement be within the first 3 months of 2012?

mm52200

American Idol is a separate entity than Fox, and I assume it isn't owned by Fox. The rumors were that Disney didn't pay for this attraction at all, but evidently that's not true and they actually paid over $50 million for it. All things considered, the theater is very impressive, but the show is obviously not compelling enough. I'm somewhat surprised that they still have so many shows each day, some format changes can change the appeal. You can put this show out in 20-30 minutes if you really want to.

Also in addition to costing Disney a lot to build, it's pretty expensive to operate daily. Atleast five equity performers, camera men, people that operate the auditions, there are a lot of cast members that all probably get paid pretty well. AIE also had been putting DHS entertainment over budget, which is ultimately why BPB got cut. Say what you want about BPB but I would much rather have BPB back and something less expensive to operate in the AIE's place.

RSoxNo1

Also in addition to costing Disney a lot to build, it's pretty expensive to operate daily. Atleast five equity performers, camera men, people that operate the auditions, there are a lot of cast members that all probably get paid pretty well. AIE also had been putting DHS entertainment over budget, which is ultimately why BPB got cut. Say what you want about BPB but I would much rather have BPB back and something less expensive to operate in the AIE's place.

Is this also why Fantasmic was cut back?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom