News Sosa Family Cigar Co. to permanently close at Disney Springs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Walt Disney was a chronic chain smoker…cigars had nothing to do with it. He lived in a tobacco cloud

So did Roy E and his wife decades later.

None of this is a secret

Drdcm

Other than a few ppl who didn’t like the smell, I don’t any of these pearl clutching folks actually give a crap if the store is there or not. I certainly don’t care if it exists or not, but it’s sad to see someone’s livelihood to out of business.

bhg469

Other than a few ppl who didn’t like the smell, I don’t any of these pearl clutching folks actually give a crap if the store is there or not. I certainly don’t care if it exists or not, but it’s sad to see someone’s livelihood to out of business.
It wouldn't be so bad if the construction walls weren't seemingly permanently there. The path is very narrow there now and the effect of the smoke is exponentially worse than it used to be.

MrPromey

I worked in world showcase for 3 years as a coordinator, the amount of drunk guests you Puritans claim were stumbling around are greatly exaggerated, a lie made up by anti booze freaks and pearl clutching parents.

I've never experienced anyone acting like a drunken mess but I've been plenty of times during our around Spring Break (it's a moving target depending on where you're from, I guess) where people holding drinks are louder, more oblivious to their surroundings and cool with walking 4-5 people across while everyone else has to walk around, freely and loudly using language I'd rather my kid not hear - you know, the way people tend to get a little more careless and loose with the tongue at a bar than they might be, say, at work?

I also once saw a guy, frozen margarita in hand, climb up the Mexican pyramid just a little over the height of the entrance for a photo op while two cast came running to shoo him down but that was the only time I ever saw anyone do anything that seemed close to being a bum-rush worthy offense.

In my experience, it's been a few people being annoying and obnoxious in vicinity that, when compounded by crowding, probably made the problem seem larger than it was.

That said, they were still annoying as hell. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

How will I now remember Seaside Heights, NJ now. I’ll miss that blend of asphalt and tobacco.

Edit: Guess it’s the side of the building of Walmart for me now…

MrPromey

Also closing at Disney Springs:
  • Tincture of Mercury Apothecary
  • Nothing But Absinthe
  • Lead Figurines Toy Shop
  • Leeches Wellness Center
  • Ye Olde Coca-Cola with Coke

I used to stop by every year to pick up the annual new release at Lead Figurines Toy Shop.

Really sorry to see this one go.

Now I'll need to go back to ordering direct from China. 😞

At least I'll still be able to get my fix at the Benjamin Moor Chippers-and-Dippers stand.

If they ever stop serving those delectable treats, I may just have to riot!

Last edited:

Wasabi21

Only this store is closing. Their business is not. They run Antillian Cigar Co and Antillian Cigar stores, which sell their own brand of cigars. They actually had their two best years over the past two years; so they have done well. They just decided that it was time, as things are changing and I believe the person, from the family, that was in charge of this store and was their vision has retired. It probably is time anyways, as they will probably ban smoking completely at Disney Springs soon, as this was the only place left where you could smoke at Disney. Stopped smoking cigars years ago; but I have fond memories of this place in college, when I would go to Pleasure Island. The family business will be fine. They sell all over the world. And now a vape store will probably move in to its place here. Lol

thomas998

I believe it was stomach cancer…but that also can be caused by smoking
Everything I ever read about his death lists a diagnosis of lung cancer in November, removal of a large part of his lung, cobalt treatments and death in December. Most likely he would have lived longer if they hadn't been so aggressive with the cobalt treatments, as the early ones in the 1960's tended to be much less refined and pretty much gave a person severe radiation poisoning. Had a grandfather that had a similar fate where he got through the surgery to remove a tumor with little more than localized pain... but when they decided to do radiation treatments a month later he went down quick and was dead in about 2 weeks. Early days of cancer treatment were scary.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everything I ever read about his death lists a diagnosis of lung cancer in November, removal of a large part of his lung, cobalt treatments and death in December. Most likely he would have lived longer if they hadn't been so aggressive with the cobalt treatments, as the early ones in the 1960's tended to be much less refined and pretty much gave a person severe radiation poisoning. Had a grandfather that had a similar fate where he got through the surgery to remove a tumor with little more than localized pain... but when they decided to do radiation treatments a month later he went down quick and was dead in about 2 weeks. Early days of cancer treatment were scary.
Oh walt??

Yeah…lung cancer

Roy E died of stomach cancer - or a secondary form - in 2009

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom