Soo...I'm bringing my best friend, who has never been before, to Disney World!

FutureKid

Original Poster
Ok, so as the title of the thread states: I am bringing my best friend to Disney World. He's NEVER been before. In fact we both live in Austin, TX and the only other place he's been in his life is New York City when he was in 8th grade.

Just for reference. He is 19 years old and I am 22. :) I love Disney and ever since we booked our plane tickets a few days ago I cannot stop talking about it. (I think he's getting annoyed with me lol)

But he thinks Disney World is just a Six Flags!!
:eek: I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, because he's already coming so the convincing part is over...but I'm going to take this as a good thing because his expectations are going to be so low! :)

I'm looking for suggestions are where to stay and what to do. Our travel dates are: July 20th (arrive afternoon) - July 25th (leave afternoon).

Keep in mind we are both college students. But I have saved up so money isn't too big of a concern with food and extras.

Things I have thought of so far are:
  • Stay at Pop Century or All Stars (PS: does anyone know which of the values have been refurbished last?)
  • Maybe stay at Port Orleans Riverside
  • Character breakfast on the 21st either at Chef Mickey's or O'hana's
  • Show him the three monorail resorts of course and resort hop a bit
  • Get a dolewhip
  • Watch Illuminations
  • Watch wishes
  • Nice dinner at the Yachtman's or O'hanas

So let the recommendations begin!

I guess think of it this way..if you were to come to Disney World for the first time what is something you have done yourself at Disney that was so special that you wish you would have done on your first visit.

Thanks!
Kyle :wave:

pluto77

I've stayed at both Pop Century and Riverside and loved them both. If its in your budget, I'd say Riverside because it is a little nicer being a moderate. Try to get a room facing the inside and not the parking lot. But Pop Century is also vey fun, and its the only value resort that has its own bus so that's a little perk. I actually took a first timer there last August and stayed at Pop and he loved it.

'Ohana is a lot of fun, and I love the Polynesian. Personally, I'd pick that over Chef Mickey's but its personal preference. 'Ohana is also a little less loud than Chef Mickey's, but maybe Chef Mickey's isn't always as loud as the time I was there lol.

Definitely recommend seeing Festival of the Lion King and even Finding Nemo.

I'd say do as much as possible without wearing him out. Just take some time to relax in between rushing around.

Walt Disney1955

Believe it or not, I have never stayed on site. I have always stayed on a resort called Westgate just 2 miles down the road from the turnoff for Disney. If you plan on staying off site I would recommend it. That is if you plan on doing non-Disney stuff as well.

By the way, your friend is better off going into Disney with the feeling that it will be nothing more than a Six Flags park. It'll hit him probably around the time you go under the arch to the parking lot of the Magic Kingdom. Or down Main Street or the monorail

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Value Resorts are running ~$125 a night. If you stay off property cheaper then by the time you pay for a shuttle to the hotel to and from MCO and wait for the most of the time horrendous non Disney bus to the park OR rent a car then you'll more than like be at the Disney Resort price. Holy run on sentence.

FutureKid

Original Poster
I think there are specific attractions to each park that really proves that WDW is much more special than any other theme park. Among others, these would be the first I would show a first timer:

MK - Main Street Electrical Parade

EPCOT - Soarin'

DHS - Fantasmic

AK - Safari

I have to agree with the Main Street Electrical Parade! And I myself have never been to fantasmic :(

FutureKid

Original Poster
I've stayed at both Pop Century and Riverside and loved them both. If its in your budget, I'd say Riverside because it is a little nicer being a moderate. Try to get a room facing the inside and not the parking lot. But Pop Century is also vey fun, and its the only value resort that has its own bus so that's a little perk. I actually took a first timer there last August and stayed at Pop and he loved it.

'Ohana is a lot of fun, and I love the Polynesian. Personally, I'd pick that over Chef Mickey's but its personal preference. 'Ohana is also a little less loud than Chef Mickey's, but maybe Chef Mickey's isn't always as loud as the time I was there lol.

Definitely recommend seeing Festival of the Lion King and even Finding Nemo.

I'd say do as much as possible without wearing him out. Just take some time to relax in between rushing around.

I guess I forgot to mention: A friend of mine is graciously getting us a hefty discount off the room price. So, Port Orleans Riverside would come out to be cheaper than POP Century regularly. But as that goes, POP Century would be dirt cheap in comparison.

Still asking if it's worth the money??? Also, I don't know what he wants?? I feel POR is better themed, but again we are college students. I don't know if he wants a loud and boisterous place (POP) or a nice calm relaxing vacation (POR).

So you think POR is acceptable for college students?

FutureKid

Original Poster
Believe it or not, I have never stayed on site. I have always stayed on a resort called Westgate just 2 miles down the road from the turnoff for Disney. If you plan on staying off site I would recommend it. That is if you plan on doing non-Disney stuff as well.

By the way, your friend is better off going into Disney with the feeling that it will be nothing more than a Six Flags park. It'll hit him probably around the time you go under the arch to the parking lot of the Magic Kingdom. Or down Main Street or the monorail

I agree! I don't think he understand what he's in for! :sohappy:

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I guess I forgot to mention: A friend of mine is graciously getting us a hefty discount off the room price. So, Port Orleans Riverside would come out to be cheaper than POP Century regularly. But as that goes, POP Century would be dirt cheap in comparison.

Still asking if it's worth the money??? Also, I don't know what he wants?? I feel POR is better themed, but again we are college students. I don't know if he wants a loud and boisterous place (POP) or a nice calm relaxing vacation (POR).

I am 21 and stay at SSR or AKLKV when my friends and I go. I would go with what you can get the best deal on. It leaves more money to spend in other areas. Like I said up there though the transportation issue of not staying Disney could pose a problem. Rental cars and taxis are not light on the pocket in the slightest.

Hands down go to the California Grill atop the Contemporary for dinner and fireworks. Go out on the observation deck (to the right once you get off the elevator) and watch/listen to the show. It's also great to be over by the castle in the park when they do the show.

I can't stress enough - stop at the resorts on the monorail loop and have a look inside. I normally stay at the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian- which is my absolute favorite. The lobby is amazing.

Attractions I always ride/see/go to -
MK - Haunted Mansion, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Hall of Presidents (great chance to cool down too), Carousel of Progress, Splash Mountain, People Mover (another foot resting ride), Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and ride the steam engine train around once, nice way to end the day.

EPCOT - Spaceship Earth, Soarin', The Land, Lion King, (Lunch while you are there), Mission Space, Test Track then walk around the World Showcase! Italy has great pasta and pizza! Germany has a huge selection to please any pallet. Cruise back on the boats.

Animal Kingdom - Expedition Everest, A Bugs Life (A/C), Safari ride

Hollywood Studios - Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Lights, Camera Action, The Great Movie Ride. The 50's prime time cafe has great comfort food, and you can go sit at the bar with no reservations.

I'm sure I left some attractions out that I always hit!

Have fun, take your time and enjoy the trip. Sometimes people get on a forced march and forget that the reason it all exists is to have fun!

brandon8419

Boo Six Flags, Disney World is all about the magic (obviously) :)

While I love all the thrill rides at WDW, one of my favorite attractions is still Mikey's Philharmagic, it always makes me feel like a kid again. If you get a chance, make sure to take him to that

cymbaldiva

Isn't a room just a crash pad for college guys? :shrug:

armyfamilyof5

I would pick Riverside and spent my nights drinking around the world!

Do not miss Fantasmic!, that is the one of the best shows Disney has to offer. I would also arrive early before park opening and do Toy Story Mania (remembering to get my fastpass before entering the ride). Then Hollywood Tower of Terror and Rock N Roll rollercoaster waiting for my fast pass to mature, then get another fastpass for whichever of the above you prefer. Check the show schedules and go to Indian Jones, get him to volunteer to participate in the show, that would be so fun and don't miss Lights, Camera, Action.

Festivale of the Lion King and Bugs Life are two of the don't miss attractions for us at Animal Kingdom. I would take him to Rainforest Cafe if he's never been to one (and yes I realize there is one down the road at the riverwalk). If he has then take him to Yak and Yeti or Tusker House, they both are great.

We prefer Ohana's because the food is wonderful, we did not enjoy Chef Mickey's. We are from Austin also and sure miss the donuts in Round Rock.....oh, and my parents that live there!:wave:

C&D

Back off a bit; let him fall in love (or not) on his own. Be there for his questions but I wouldn't push too much. Realization of something is a lot better than to be told something is spectacular. Hopefully you'll see the splender in his eyes (as he takes it all in).

Supergirl7710

I'm going down July 6th-July 12th with my boyfriend (17 and 19) and I LOVE POP just because its cheap, the busses are always easy, and its an amazingly themed hotel. The service is always great too, and they have movies by the pool. Whats better than that?! XD I've never stayed anywhere else besides the Contemp. So I'm not sure about the other hotel you mentioned but if he's the same age as me, you said 19? Then I would say go to POP because you're not going to be bothered much by the other youngins and hey, its just plain fun :D

sublimesting

I know it's going to be hard but try not to talk to him about it so much. Talk to us about it to get your fix. Sometimes people like to be indepepndent and not like something just because others do like it. Plus you don't want to get his hopes skyrocketed.

When I first went as an adult with my DW I was value to moderately excited. We didn't know what to expect. All I remember from previous visits when I was younger was hotness and long, broing lines. Needless to say we were dazzled by the magic and learning about the place all over again. Part of our fun was discovering the world and all the wonderful details and theming and the great attractions and food.

brandon8419

Back off a bit; let him fall in love (or not) on his own. Be there for his questions but I wouldn't push too much. Realization of something is a lot better than to be told something is spectacular. Hopefully you'll see the splender in his eyes (as he takes it all in).

Perfectly said!

ArtieJim

Make sure you do Carousel of Progress! My girlfriend hates me for taking her on that last year and now she's not happy about the idea of me doing it again in December when we go. But it must be experienced at least once in a lifetime! Or, in my case, as many times as possible.

Make sure you do Carousel of Progress! My girlfriend hates me for taking her on that last year and now she's not happy about the idea of me doing it again in December when we go. But it must be experienced at least once in a lifetime! Or, in my case, as many times as possible.

That is one of my favorite things to do. Walt's own involvement make it special and it is one ride that won't change with express permission from the Disney family, so I'm told. And when it's hot its a great place to cool down, that or the people mover, since it's right there. :king:

DeaverTex

I have to second the idea of not talking to him about it so much. If something is painted in too glorious a light, it's not hard to start reacting negatively. (I'm speaking from personal experience here.) Over exposure to a Disney-lover can create a Disney-hater.

Your BF already knows you're going; that's plenty. Let him think his own thoughts, and involve him in any planning you do of course, but leave it at that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom