Song of The South Poll

Should Song of the South be released on DVD?

• Yes, it is a harmless Disney movie and folks should lighten up.

Votes: 143 98.6%
  • No, this movie should stay in the vault where it belongs, never to be seen again.

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

sbkline

Disney does not need to spend the money defending the movie and its contents just to make a few dollars. The bad media this would get, all beit over reactionary, would make this way to risky for its release. You cant do or say anything even remotely provocational these days, and not be protested, boycotted, or even sued. I'd have to sadly say, this one is better left over seas, and in the vault, for the financial sake of the Disney Corp. if nothing else. Ill have to rely on You Tube, and the soundtrack to enjoy this one for now.

Not trying to start a debate on a certain hot button social issue, but let's not forget that Disney recently okayed a policy allowing same gender unions, despite how controversial the subject is and how many people will be honked off by this policy, even to the point of boycotting WDW. So the company is apparently not afraid to take a stand and risk controversy, boycotts, etc.

I just wish they'd show the same amount of backbone regarding SoTS as they did with the aforementioned issue.

However, in all honesty, the movie really isn't that great. I'd buy a copy if Disney released it, being the WDW nut that I am...I'd have to have it just for its tie in with Splash Mountain, not to mention the fact that it is an old classic. So I'd buy it to add to my Disney collection, but if they don't release it I'm not really missing that much. I have my bootleg copy that I've watched, so I can say that I've seen it, but I don't have too much desire to sit through the whole thing again anytime soon.

CThaddeus

Not trying to start a debate on a certain hot button social issue, but let's not forget that Disney recently okayed a policy allowing same gender unions, despite how controversial the subject is and how many people will be honked off by this policy, even to the point of boycotting WDW. So the company is apparently not afraid to take a stand and risk controversy, boycotts, etc.

I just wish they'd show the same amount of backbone regarding SoTS as they did with the aforementioned issue.

Or, as I mentioned before, they've included cartoons on the Disney Treasures collections that have at times questionable ethnic gags. Almost every one of this series has had a few cartoons they felt the need to have Leonard Maltin discuss for its racial issues. No one (that I'm aware of) has gotten all up in arms about their release, so I don't really think releasing Song of the South in the same way would either. I actually think by not releasing it and keeping it hidden away, Disney makes it out to be something more awful and evil than it really is. I think the movie-going public would be shocked at just how innocuous it is, and might actually be more angry at Disney for making such a mountain out of a molehill.
It truly deserves to be something children and adults can see. It's a wonderful film.

maxe14

As I understand it, it is not officially released on DVD. All those DVDs from Europe are all bootleg. But I hear that the quality is not so bad.

It's not like a digitally remastered DVD like Disney would put out. Just a conversion from a VHS tape, probably. But it's better than nothing if you are interested in seeing what it is all about.

I have a VHS in PAL, which I have not cracked open, which I think is a genuine Disney release, but I can't be sure. I also have a terrible digital copy on a hard drive somewhere, which is the one I have recently watched.

A great film like this deserves better treatment than that. Disney should give it a little TLC, and digitally remaster it and release it. It's a real shame that it hasn't been done already.

I am really interested in getting a copy of this Movie. Splash Mountain is my sisters favorite and I am taking her to WDW for her grad trip. so is this site not reliable? http://www.songofthesouthdvdremastered.com/

GrimGrinninAnna

You're all forgetting something very important. Song of the South is due to become public domain in a few years. And the same way we haven't forgotten about it, others haven't either... Which means Disney won't. Do you really think they would just let this gem fall into someone elses hands? They'll do something, be patient.I have this DVD, and love it. Gives me all new respect for Brier Frog.

ldsprincess

man, i've never seen, but i really want to. i've heard stories about how sketchy it is...but i just wanna see for myself. lol. anybody know of anywhere to see it?

KingStefan

...Apparently this was either taking place in the slave era or the post slavery era of the late 1800s.

However, that doesn't really have any relevance to my opinion on the matter. Having a movie depicting slaves in the slave era is about as racist as a movie depicting Nazi soldiers and the holocaust in the WWII era. So I guess, according to the logic of the Politically Correct gang, I need to round up all my WWII movies and throw them in the garbage. :shrug:

It is set in the post-slavery era. There are lyrics that the chorus sings about how you should be happy where you are and how lucky you are if your old master lets you stay. And they all sound so happy after working their fingers to the bone in the sun all day and going back to their little shack that's barely standing.

IIUC, that kind of stuff is the main objection. Not the mere depiction of workers on the plantation in the post-slavery era, which everyone agrees there certainly were.

JimboJones123

Song of the South has Nuthin' on "Black Belt Jones". Now that's some fanatastic Blacksploitation.

I did find it funny earlier this week at the movie theater. We hit the Cinemark in town, and one of the posters in the hallway was a "Song of the South" one sheet. I stopped and pointed it out to my wife and we both giggled about how this banned film's poster was up next to all the other legendary movie posters.

sublimesting

Original Poster
Unfortunately the OP appears to want it to be polarizing. It appears J Thick and the OP of this thread are competing to see who can be the most provoking. I got exiled way back for much less. (stated a rumor Kali would be exteded before I found out that was prohibited). Where are the moderators when they are needed?:lookaroun

Please don't speak for me or stir up &$%@. I am not trying to be polarizing or provoking. I simply am asking if people think SotS is harmless fun or if it culturally damaging. Those are your two options and since, as of this time 90 people answered "Yes" and 2 people answered "No", they were the correct options. It appears the vast majority agree it is harmless fun! I didn't add the option of "Yes, but Leonard Maltin should do an intro to address slavery." because that isn't what I wanted to know. I wanted to know a basic question: Are you offended or not by SotS? Also, since no-one seems to have an issue or are fighting in anyway, it is not polarizing, nor is it provoking. Exactly the way I intended.
It seems you started a rumor which you shouldn't have and got banned for it, are now bitter, and looking for a fight and to have other banned as misery loves company. You, sir, are the only person on this board trying to be provoking and controversial. Maybe you should take a look at yourself and see why YOU were really banned. It seems to me there may be more to it than a simple rumor. :wave:

sbkline

It is set in the post-slavery era. There are lyrics that the chorus sings about how you should be happy where you are and how lucky you are if your old master lets you stay. And they all sound so happy after working their fingers to the bone in the sun all day and going back to their little shack that's barely standing.

IIUC, that kind of stuff is the main objection. Not the mere depiction of workers on the plantation in the post-slavery era, which everyone agrees there certainly were.

And I don't see what the big deal is with that kind of stuff that you mentioned. The idea of being thankful and content in whatever lot you find yourself is an idea that's been around for ages. If you find yourself in a sucky situation, you can either be bitter about it, or you can learn to be thankful for what you do have and to make the best of your current situation.

I think part of the problem is that we, in America, have become spoiled. We have our easy life in our recliners with our remote control digitial TV's and our surround sound systems. We have our nice cars and our refrigerators just a few steps away from the TV, and we can drive home from our nice job back to our nice house, take off our pants, kick back in the recliner, turn on some tube, and not have to move until it's time to go grab a drink from the fridge or run to the bathroom, which is indoors by the way. So we think that anyone else who doesn't have it so good is supposed to pine away in bitterness and self pity, because we can't conceive of anything less than the life of ease that we have.

But all through history, there have been people in all parts of the world that don't have the cushy life that we enjoy over here, and there are still lots of places in the world today where people have it really rough. Whether we're talking about oppressed minorities in Nazi Europe, or Soviet Russia, or black slaves in the American South, or poor, starving people in Africa, there have been those people in all these groups who have managed to keep their chin up and be happy and thankful even under these circumstances. I don't see what's wrong with SoTS portraying Uncle Remus and his friends in this way.

Especially when you consider that many of the slaves, once freed, had no skills other than hard labor, and had nowhere to go. So I'm sure many of them were happy and thankful to be allowed to live in their former masters' home. They had food to eat, a roof over their head and, in some cases, even had a close relationship with their masters. And even though the North was adamant about ending slavery, when it came down to it, they didn't want the blacks up there, so the former slaves couldn't just get their freedom and then move into a nice apartment and start work at Walmart the next morning. Many of them were better off staying on the plantation where they had worked so many years.

Oh well, I've rambled enough. The simple question asked was "should SoTS be released on DVD" and I vote yes.

snakeislandboy

I have a decent copy of it, and while i enjoyed watching it i really dont love it.

This is why I think Disney is in no hurry to release it. It's not great or amazing, it's just good. The parts that are well loved are the animated scenes, and the rest gets a little boring. I'm not sure if they are willing to risk the backlash over a movie that is probably not as good as people remember or are expecting. All that said, I feel it should be released. It's probably one of the very few if not only Academy Award winning movies that are for lack of a better term banned or completely unavailable in the US.

daliseurat

I do think many, many people need to lighten up. I get sick of how many groups seem to be waiting for anyone to do anything that they can point to a scream racism, sexism, bigotry etc. Song of the South was a product of it's time and as long as there is an introduction from someone who explains this there should be no problem. For that matter, make it a special edition where you could just choose to watch the cartoon parts. And SOS is by far no where near the biggest offender. Many far more offensive films have been available for years.

kucarachi

Im pretty down with the way disney does things. If only real life were like disney you wouldnt have the problems that we do in the world. But in a world where saying nappy, mexican, and gay can get you suspended from work or fired...i dont see how song busting, country dancin mamie sayin slaves is going to help. Im sure that some slave owners were good people that just went along with the times, but kids today really have never grown up knowing how evil america was only a few years ago. THey got enough things to worry about with terrorist, internet predators, and getting hannah montanna tickets! Bury this tape in the bottom of lake buena vista and never mention its name again! Although splash mountain is a fun ride would it be more fun if you had dancing ex slaves jumping around.

Mimi

Personally, I don't see any more objectionable material in Song of the South than I see in the scene with the crows in Dumbo. /quote]

I actually think the crows are arguably worse, but it's all innocent. Song of the South is a wonderful film and it saddens me when I hear kids at Splash Mountain asking about the characters and their parents have no answer. It's unfortunate.

Bring it back!

sublimesting

Original Poster
Im pretty down with the way disney does things. If only real life were like disney you wouldnt have the problems that we do in the world. But in a world where saying nappy, mexican, and gay can get you suspended from work or fired...i dont see how song busting, country dancin mamie sayin slaves is going to help. Im sure that some slave owners were good people that just went along with the times, but kids today really have never grown up knowing how evil america was only a few years ago. THey got enough things to worry about with terrorist, internet predators, and getting hannah montanna tickets! Bury this tape in the bottom of lake buena vista and never mention its name again! Although splash mountain is a fun ride would it be more fun if you had dancing ex slaves jumping around.

Wait, are you saying that this movie would be just too much for children to bare given how much serious stuff is going on in the world? Does a movie really have to help social affairs? Does everything released now have to be so sanitized that no one could possibly be offended? That's how we shelter our children and never teach them and how history repeats itself. It's not like SotS is saying slavery is good.
I'm pretyy certain those characters are paid employees of the plantation. The way I understood it it was after the Civil War, so they aren't even slaves and the word slave is never brought up. And to be honest there were many many many white Americans just as bad off all the way until WW2. look at the shanty-town that surrounded Sacramento until WW2 and the great depression...most people in America at that ime were very very poor and got by as best they could, so it's not like ex-slaves could be living the good life had they only not grown up as slaves. My point is that children watching this aren't going to think SotS os glorifying slavery or anything like that. And can't an ex-slave or even a slave actually be happy once in awhile. Sometmies we have to make our own happiness and I think that is the message SotS tries to get across.

What if they realeased the remastered Song of the South at the same time that they release The Princess and the Frog on video in a few years? :lookaroun

sbkline

On the subject of the Brer gang, has anyone purchased the DVD of the Adventures of Brer Rabbit and gang? I don't know the exact title, but we carry it at the Walmart I work at. It's on the 5 dollar DVD rack. I noticed it a couple weeks ago, but I don't have that much interest in buying it. The characters look totally different...apparently these cartoons must have been made within the past few years. It has Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear and Brer Fox, and I don't know who else. But since they look nothing like the classic Disney characters that we're all familiar with, I have no plans of purchasing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom