Some wild (and some not-so-wild) rumors on WDW Radio Show Podcast - January 6th

Space Mountain

Rumors from "reputable sources" as the host states:
-No new news about ABC Theater - same stuff we've already heard
-Scripting Haunted Mansion pre-show - again - same stuff we've heard
-Contemporary DVC Building - will be same height as Contemporary Tower minus the California Grill - also, Concourse Steakhouse is expected to move to the new tower and its' space in the original building will made into an expansion of Chef Mickey's
-Third theater for Soarin' likely - film change also likely akin to "Soarin' Over the World"
-What isn't coming in the near future:
-Nothing new in the 20K spot - therefore, for the very near future; Pooh's Play Spot is "permanent" (shudders).
-Nothing planned for the Tomorrowland Theater.
-Nothing planned other for DHS other than what's already under construction.
-No new pavilions planned for WS.
-Nothing planned for the WoL pavilion.

Now the wild stuff:
-Not only will the Legendary Years of Pop Century not re-open, they will be torn down.
-A new resort could be coming - old plans to build a Mediterranean resort on the Seven Seas Lagoon are apparently a possibility again. The resort was first speculated to be built between the Contemporary and the TTC. Now it is rumored to be built in between the TTC and the Polynesian resort.

And now the wildest rumor:
-Plans for a quasi-5th gate just past AK (not Beastly Kingdom) are possibly in the works. The park would be on the very high-end and would be a "night" park with hours like 4 PM-midnight. The park would be filled with thrill rides and other attractions. Here's the kicker: the park would be all-inclusive, meaning that food would be included with the approximately $300 entrance fee admission.

Could this be the widely-tossed Project H?

Discuss:

Well I don't know what to take of this.. I will say that 2 things listed are incorrect. And for that 5th gate, don't count on it..at all. I'd spill what I know but I know I need to keep my mouth shut :zipit:

disnyfan89

Since this information has not been posted I figure I would chime in.

$300 is obviously just a rough estimate of the price. Looking at the Discovery Cove web site pricing for their "All Inclusive Package" ranges from $269-$289 and during the slower season you also get seven consecutive days at either Sea World or Busch Gardens. Or you can get both for an extra $20 and starting in the spring you can get both plus the new water park for $50. All inclusive includes A swim with a Dolphin, Snorkeling in their two snorkeling areas all day, entrance into the bird atrium where you can feed the birds till your hearts content, breakfast, lunch, all the snacks you can eat, use of their snorkeling equipment including mask, snorkel, and wet suit, and a locker. I have been to Discovery Cove three times and it really is not a lot to do.

On the subject of Cast Member admission for Discovery Cove employees receive two comp tickets excluding the Dolphin experiences. One comp ticket must be used by the sea world employee. They could add on the Dolphin experience for an additional cost. Lunch was not included. Disney could very easily do something similar to this.

When it comes to hours for Discovery Cove they are not posted online that I could see. If I remember correctly it opened around Nine or ten and would be open until about four or five.

Now lets talk about placement for this so called Disney project. It would be around Animal Kingdom and open at around four. This to me seems like strategic planning. Since Animal Kingdom closes early it would be very easy to send AK's CM to this new exclusive park to help staff it. Eliminate PI all together and you get more CM from there. Depending on how close this park is you could use AK's entertainment facility for characters at the new park much in the same way Epcot and DHS and MK send Characters out for resort dinning.

If Sea World can do it, Disney could find a way to do it bigger and better.

Thiger

$300 fifth gate?

no thanks.
I mean, you can barely get people out to PI for free (or nearly free).
Disney's best bet is put all of their purposed 5th gate money into making 2 e-tickets for each park and a few minor rides as well. Add another theater for Soarin, create a few AC-like clubs (possibly tortuga/pirate bar) and a karaoke bar.

Although I dream of a fifth gate one day, (I think a Disney/ Nintendo 'super mario world' theme would be a potter-killer), now is not the time. Focus on making each park a 10-20% fuller experience and boom.

Although thats just my 2 cents...

jt04

I am not sure what to think about the TTC rumors. But I do know that the TTC is extremely dated looking and needs considerable cosmetic work to make it look a little more welcoming.

A wrecking ball might help. It's not being maintained in any meaningful way (unlike the Epcot monorail station) which is why I think something new may be planned. :lookaroun

majortom1981

I don't see a 5th gate relating to thrill rides being added. I think for disney to do that it would be way to expensive.

Roller coasters are expensive and with disneys theming would be even more expensive. There is too much competition in the thrill category and disney would have better use for this money at their other parks. I can see more of an upcharge addition to animal kingdom going in though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
i know the fifth gate sounds unlikely, but disney has been trying to build their own version of "discovery cove" (sea world's deluxe-reservation required-exclusive theme park) for some time now (this park is highly profitable and the guests come out happy=they return again!). i think they had plans for a harry potter mini park, but Ms Rowling was so problematic they let universal deal with her. Now that you're saying this park could be near animal kingdom, im thinking they're going to do the same as in discovery cove (swim with dolphins etc), but with their own animals
Swim with great white sharks at AK....A new attraction that is invitation only. It will only be given to those guests that demand a free DVC membership and lifetime passes when they complain about the rain storm that completely ruined their vacation.:lookaroun

goofntink

I can't confirm or deny the rumor for Pop, but we were doing a repair at Pop yesterday and can say that there is dump trucks delivering dirt and heavy equipment at the site.:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can't confirm or deny the rumor for Pop, but we were doing a repair at Pop yesterday and can say that there is dump trucks delivering dirt and heavy equipment at the site.:shrug:
Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of motocross event there?

RSoxNo1

I don't think $300 would be ridiculous for a high end park, especially when you consider what a realistic timetable for that park would be. Look ahead several years, factor in a limited number of people admitted, (which would obviously be an appeal) and nothing but e-ticket attractions. With that said, I don't believe this is seriously on the table, at least not as something that would be announced this year.

As for a new Soarin screen, I'm under the impression that they would add 2 screens as opposed to one, based on how the previous two (DCA and Epcot) buildings have been designed.

What makes these rumors sound false to me, is what's missing from them. There's nothing there for DHS, when most people are of the opinion that even after Toy Story Mania, that something else is coming there.

Spyne

I listen to the WDW Radio Show every week, and I thought mostly what the majority is thinking. These definitely are some "wild" rumors, don't know if any of them will come to reality. The one rumor about a park that would cost $300 to get in I find hard to believe though.

PKD

haha...
Second, if Cast Members get into all parks for free, then why would we EVER go eat ANYWHERE again when we could just go to this 5th park? The alternative would be that Cast Members would have to pay full or half price to go in, which all cast members know would NEVER happen (since we can't afford it). And since an annual pass is a little bit more than one night in that park, no one's going to pay that much to go in there.

The idea is more than far fetched, it's just stupid. I can't even compare it to another stupid idea because ANY stupid idea would look mediocre next to this one. Haha, but it did for a good laugh

Keep in mind that SeaWorld Crew Members do not get into Discovery Cove for free. IF such a 5th gate were to happen the way this rumor says, I don't see why Disney doesn't follow the go the same route.

Cast Members don't get into the water parks, DQ, and some nights at PI, so Disney could possibly throw the 5th gate with them for admission rules. Again, if it were to ever happen.

JLW11Hi

Are you now encased in a high-tech Gizmo suit?

He didn't say "blatherin'!"

I'd go for another Soarin' building. The lines there were insane when I went. But considering the space needed and how much it would cost, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen.

sublimesting

Rumors from "reputable sources" as the host states:
-No new news about ABC Theater - same stuff we've already heard
-Scripting Haunted Mansion pre-show - again - same stuff we've heard
-Contemporary DVC Building - will be same height as Contemporary Tower minus the California Grill - also, Concourse Steakhouse is expected to move to the new tower and its' space in the original building will made into an expansion of Chef Mickey's
-Third theater for Soarin' likely - film change also likely akin to "Soarin' Over the World"

-What isn't coming in the near future:
-Nothing new in the 20K spot - therefore, for the very near future; Pooh's Play Spot is "permanent" (shudders).​

-Nothing planned for the Tomorrowland Theater.​

-Nothing planned other for DHS other than what's already under construction.​

-No new pavilions planned for WS.​

-Nothing planned for the WoL pavilion.​

Now the wild stuff:
-Not only will the Legendary Years of Pop Century not re-open, they will be torn down.
-A new resort could be coming - old plans to build a Mediterranean resort on the Seven Seas Lagoon are apparently a possibility again. The resort was first speculated to be built between the Contemporary and the TTC. Now it is rumored to be built in between the TTC and the Polynesian resort.

And now the wildest rumor:
-Plans for a quasi-5th gate just past AK (not Beastly Kingdom) are possibly in the works. The park would be on the very high-end and would be a "night" park with hours like 4 PM-midnight. The park would be filled with thrill rides and other attractions. Here's the kicker: the park would be all-inclusive, meaning that food would be included with the approximately $300 entrance fee admission.

Could this be the widely-tossed Project H?

Discuss:

Is that Lou Mongello's podcast? He does great work, lots of research and has many resources at his disposal. Althought the 5th gate as it is written seems extraordinarily unlikely. Let's think about this, a ticket at MK for the day is about $70.00. So a themepark open from 4-midnight would be a 1/2 day park and thus should cost about $35.00. So we have a mark-up of $265 for "free" food. The DW and I make very good money and would NEVER drop that kind of coin on a night out. A family of 4 would need over 1K. That's nuts.

Now, if we take the price out of consideration, I can totally see a 5th gate being thrill rides to take on Universal and like another poster said it wouldn't be canibalizing from your own parks but would attract a totally different crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom