Some things you might not know about Disney...

donsullivan

Premium Member
So are all the windows on main street in the Magic Kingdom

While some of these windows are indeed names of Imagineers, there is a much wider range of people represented up there. If you look carefully you'll find the names of folks like former COO Frank Wells as well as a number of significant WDW cast members who had a significant impact on the parks like Richard Nunis (forum won't accept the first name he was known by) and many many more. The back-story on the names in the windows is that using the metaphor of stepping into a movie while you're at the Magic, these names represent the credits at the end of the movie to pay credit to the people who made it happen.

When you're in line for Star Tours, take a look at the parts caddies on the track up above you in the second room. The letters and numbers you see on each of the carts are the initials and birth dates of many members of the imagineering team that worked on the attraction.

Kath-n-me

In the Dinosaur load area, look at the red, yellow, & white utility pipes. The markings on the sides give you the chemical fomulas for ketchup, mustard & mayonnaise.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The brown pathway outside the hall of presidents and Harbour house are often claimed to represent an open sewer typical of that period, however it could be that the path designers werent impressed by their lunch and were passing comment

The "Pro"

The Main Street train station at the Magic Kingdom was constructed higher than other areas so that you could not see into the Magic Kingdom, thus it acts as the "front curtain of the show".

shakes20

I'm not sure if this is true for all of the parks, but at Epcot, in addition to the background music that is playing, they also play a recording of a bird chirping a distress call. Apparently it is a warning to other birds that there are predetors about to discourage birds from hanging around and leaving droppings on the buildings.

hpyhnt 1000

I'm not sure if this is true for all of the parks, but at Epcot, in addition to the background music that is playing, they also play a recording of a bird chirping a distress call. Apparently it is a warning to other birds that there are predetors about to discourage birds from hanging around and leaving droppings on the buildings.

I believe that is true, particularly the area around SSE and for the French pavilion, to keep the birds from landing on the Eiffel Tower. That reminds me, the Eiffel Tower itself is made of a certain type of material designed to keep birds from landing on it as well. In addition to the obvious resaon of bird droppings, these measures also serve to maintain the optical illusion that the Eiffel Tower is standing in the distance. Obviously, having a bird sitting on the tower would ruin the forced perspective, and make it obvious that the tower is only a couple stories tall.

mrerk

Premium Member
The Main Street train station at the Magic Kingdom was constructed higher than other areas so that you could not see into the Magic Kingdom, thus it acts as the "front curtain of the show".

This is also why the entrance tunnels are offset from center. It is part of the "reveal" of the castle.

The "Pro"

Here are a few more:

The bright red sidewalks in Town Square and in the hub area was chosen to enhance the green of the grass.

At Animal kingdom, that many of the benches are made of recycled plastic milk jugs.

The white sand on the beaches near the Poly and GF resorts, and along the Seven Seas Lagoon actually came from the bottom of Bay Lake.

Bricks on the wall behind the Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe came from old buildings being torn down in downtown Orlando.

Southern_Tink

Original Poster
I believe that is true, particularly the area around SSE and for the French pavilion, to keep the birds from landing on the Eiffel Tower. That reminds me, the Eiffel Tower itself is made of a certain type of material designed to keep birds from landing on it as well. In addition to the obvious resaon of bird droppings, these measures also serve to maintain the optical illusion that the Eiffel Tower is standing in the distance. Obviously, having a bird sitting on the tower would ruin the forced perspective, and make it obvious that the tower is only a couple stories tall.

I've read this in a Disney Trivia Book, also it said that the Eiffel Tower's top is capped off with a sticky substance so that if indeed a bird finds a way to come near it, the bird would not be able to land on top of it!

raven

Here's another: Main Street is actually built on a two degree incline toward Cinderella Castle. At night, those two degrees make the walk down Main Street just a little bit easier on everyone's tired feet. :)

It was also designed that way to help drain rain water. This is a very common practice actually.

The "Pro"

Two more:

The chickens in the queue for Goofy's Barnstormer were relocated from the World of Motion at EPCOT when that attraction was closed.

The talking parrot in the World of Disney Store at DTD used to greet guests at the entrance of PotC.

shakes20

The hidden Mickey in the ballroom scene of Haunted Mansion was not originally an "official" hidden Mickey. Cast members moved plates to make it, but everytime Imagineers came through to check the ride, they would move the plates back to their original positions (one time they even tried to glue the plates down to prevent cast members from moving them, but that still didn't stop them). Finally, after years of this, it was added to the list of "official" hidden Mickeys.

shakes20

Oh, and this one...

Okay, it's not Disney World, but back in the 70's at Disneyland, some creative parking attendants decided to play a practical joke. At the time, VW Bugs were very popular so they directed every one that came into the park that day to the same lot and then sat back and watched at the end of the day while people desperately tried to figure out which car was theirs!

Southern_Tink

Original Poster
Oh, and this one...

Okay, it's not Disney World, but back in the 70's at Disneyland, some creative parking attendants decided to play a practical joke. At the time, VW Bugs were very popular so directed everyone that came into the park that day to the same lot and then sat back and watched at the end of the day while people desperately tried to figure out which car was theirs!

That's terrible!!!! I'd be right with them sitting back laughing! Good prank!:ROFLOL:

jonnyc

The size of the Kilimanjaro Safari Attraction is so large that if you were given the chance to, you could fit the whole Magic Kingdom in the reserve.

Oh, and the Trucks at Kilimanjaro? They run on Propane. Specifically so the fumes from diesel fuel wouldn't hurt the animals. They even add a smell to the propane so incase of a leak, it will be easy to sniff out.

I wonder if they got there propane and propane accessories from Hank Hill?

This is a really interesting thread. Now for mine...

EE is 199.5 feet tall, for the same reason as TOT, because if it were 200 feet tall they would have to stick a red warning light on it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I wonder if they got there propane and propane accessories from Hank Hill?

This is a really interesting thread. Now for mine...

EE is 199.5 feet tall, for the same reason as TOT, because if it were 200 feet tall they would have to stick a red warning light on it.

A red airplane warning light in a no fly zone...go figure!

shakes20

During the construction of the Magic Kingdom, ballons were tethered to the ground so that they would float at the exact height of the attractions that would be constucted where they were tied down. This was done so that Walt could make sure that you would not be able to see buildings from a different land from the one that you were in. Trees were then placed to hide any intruding elements.

shakes20

Okay, most people know that the Liberty Tree has 13 lanterns to represent the original colonies, but did you know that is has concrete inside of it?
The tree was moved from another location on property, but it was so large that two holes had to be drilled in it so that it could be lifted to its current position. The cores from the drill holes were kept so that after it was transplanted, they could be replaced. Unfortunately, after they were reinserted, the tree developed an infection. The cores were removed, the infected areas were cut out and concrete was poured into the holes left behind by the tree surgeons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom