Some quick thoughts from our trip

Just got back 8 hours ago from our trip. We absolutely HATE the Fastpass change. The reason we hate it is because the E ticket rides are spaced out so much and the return times conflict with each other. I wonder if this wouldn't be as much of a problem during non-peak times. For now our vote is that we hate it.

On that topic, if Disney is going to enforce Fastpass times, then when are they going to enforce no flash photos, no holding places in line, and no smoking in general areas? Also, I'm going to have a sticker made for our backpack for our next trip that says "Warning: bumping into this person may result in the occasional accidental elbowing of your face".

We can't figure it out, but it just seems to us that people behave better at Universal as opposed to Disney. We can't understand it because I'm sure that many of the same people visit both places. I hardly had anyone bumping into me at Uni, and it seems to be a better experience each time we visit. This saddens me because I LOVE Disney and I've got my wife talked into moving to the area mainly because of my love of the place and the fact that my company has a distribution center down there.

That being said, we've got our trip booked for September, so hopefully things get better on this next trip. Thanks for reading!

Pitchforkman

Maybe they could hand out black electrical tape and force everyone to put it over their flash while in the park.

Or they could station CMs around attractions with blow guns, and shoot darts at offenders.

That would be a fun job to use a blow gun on a guest. Where do i sign up? :ROFLOL:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As far as the giving up your seat for women, children, or elderly I think its just common courtesy. However, you don't know everyones situation so you shouldn't judge them. I personally have a serious back condition, so no I won't be giving up my seat if I even get one. I also won't complain about standing either. Disney is a crowded place and you just have to deal with certain things. Now on to the fast pass issue. They were always meant to be used during a certain time slot, and the times were never enforced. Now that they are enforcing the times the only people complaining about it are the ones that abused it in the first place. Fast passes work fine, you just have to be willing to adjust your schedule. As for the whole no flash photography, I do agree that they shouldn't be used where they are not permitted. But to say that they shouldn't allow any flash cameras in the parks is just plain stupid. People spend a lot of money to make trips to Disney and should be able to take as many pictures as they like to preserve those memories. What they need to do is enforce the areas where you are not to use flash.

If people are TOO stupid to not learn how to turn off the flash and still take a decent picture then they should not have that camera. Only allowing cameras in without flash capabilities would put all the stupid people on the same level with the intelligent photographers. We are all about being equal and being PC...this is the only option. :lookaroun

Pitchforkman

I definitely agree that the fastpass system hurts the hardcore Disney fan much more than a normal tourist, especially since many tourists probably didn't realize you could return late anyhow. As a local college student, I am very frustrated with the new system, simply because it doesn't let me move as quickly through a park. I used to be able to easily ride everything and see a lot of characters in one day by collecting fastpasses for e-tickets and moving quickly regardless of the crowd level. Now it is much more difficult to complete everything in a short period of time. Since I live nearby, it is no longer that big of a deal to me, but when my family comes down to visit and gets a four day pass because of the expense, it is very hard to accomplish everything they would like to.

Regarding the monorail - in my mind, it is common courtesy for anyone, male or female, who is healthy to stand up for anyone else. However, personally, I don't think you have a right to make a snide comment at someone for not standing up. You don't know their situation at all. My uncle, for example, is in his 40s but cannot (doctor's orders) stand still for a period of time without pain. Should he give up his trips to Disney or anywhere because he has that pain? I definitely don't think so. Should he have to give up his seat just because a woman in her 20s or 30s or a kid is standing up? At the same time, I don't expect anyone to give up their seat for him either. If you are so mad at the man for not standing up and offering his seat, why didn't you offer the woman and/or child your seat instead? Just because he is a man doesn't mean he should be required to give up his seat more than you are.

I respectfully disagree with you about the monorail thing. Men should generally always stand up for women or children be it in WDW or New York, Chicago, San Fran, etc. that is just basic decency.

Pitchforkman

No matter where you are you should always get up for a woman or child. That is basic manners that should be taught at an early age. Unfortunetely manners are no longer taught in this country anymore, or in brazil lol.

the-reason14

So you are going to complain because you have to follow the rules? The times are listed on the fast pass clock before you get the pass. Also if you want to park hop from Animal Kingdom to DHS and use your Toy Story fast pass just hang out by the machine it takes about an hour for the fast passes to get down into the afternoon hours. You could easily then go to Animal Kingdom and come back later and use your fastpass.

I have a feeling if people get turned away and go complain customer service will simply tell them they were warned that they must come back during the return window and that they were give a 15 minute extra amount of time at the end in case of any circumstance that might have made you late.

I don't expect them nor do I think they should bend over backwards to cater to people that think the rules should be bent for them. If you can't make it back in your fastpass window use the standby line.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were there with me when I was at the parks last week. No castmember personally told me I had to be back whenever I did get a fastpass. Yes, I already knew about the policy change, but if I wanted to make a case on it, I could and use that as ammunition. Second, we did stand in line for ToT. But because it seems they are giving out more fastpasses now, we ended up waiting longer then we should because the fastpass constantly got backed up. And I would love to see anybody explain how it's better to wait at a fastpass machine for hours until a suitable time comes up, is more convenient then simply getting one when you first arrive giving you the opportunity to get another one within 2 hours, and using them when it's most convenient for you. Yup, waiting for the fastpass time to change is way better, please. It's not about 'following the rules' because if I really wanted to get over, I could. It's about how inconvenient this new policy is, and Disney should hear about it.

I can't wait to magically be in the parks when you are there, just to see how happy you are to see the fastpass line for splash mountain is longer then the regular line. Fun right!?

awhit066

I can't wait to magically be in the parks when you are there, just to see how happy you are to see the fastpass line for splash mountain is longer then the regular line. Fun right!?

Unfortunately, when changes are made we should expect an adjustment period. I would hope that CM's took note of the exceedingly long Fastpass lines and will reduce the number of distribute fastpasses accordingly. My guess is that getting the perfect number of passes will require a little trial and error.

Buried20KLeague

I'll try to clarify my thoughts. Please let me know if you need further explanation, because I think you misunderstood my point.

I was referring to the OP being so upset about the new system. He seemed really unhappy with it and I personally think there are far greater issues at hand inside the parks.

I said I was hopeful it could solve issues, not that IT IS solving issues. I think it's sad that so many people are upset about having to follow stated rules--stated on the FP machines and tickets-- and thinking that because they can't use the old system, it is somehow unfair to them.

I know for a fact that it is creating more conflict due to many friends on the front line, but I'm optimistic that once the initial stink is over, people will just get used to it.

I've stood around the FP return gates quite a bit over the past few days to observe and just see what has been happening, and I have yet to hear one single person complain that they should be let in because thy didn't know about the rule change, or that they used to be able to return late so they should now. Every single complaint I heard was someone's reason why they were late. Dinner ran long. They got stuck here or there. Those are complaints that will never go away, IMHO.... I'm not seeing the possibility of people "adapting" and eventually making things smoother. The complaints I heard will be constant and consistent.

ESPECIALLY from first timers.

draybook

Original Poster
I'm too tired to go digging through posts, but it seems that someone said I was "upset" about the FP changes. I will repeat myself for those who can't grasp what I'm getting at. Do I like the change, no. Will we adhere to the policy, you betcha! I'm not mad, pi$$ed, or angry about the change. I knew it was coming and on our very first trip we adhered to it. I was simply stating the problems we had with it during Spring Break. The times for each ride would often conflict with another ride on the other side of the park. If that is Disney's intention then so be it.

After a bit of scanning, it seems it was TheBeatles speaking to me. If you READ my post, you would see that I DID tackle numerous issues other than the FP change. I tackled all of the issues that TDO doesn't have the cajones to tackle. They don't have the intestinal fortitude to stop the wandering smokers, the flash photographers, and the line skippers.

Another issue we had was with the way they were packing people into the monorails. I under stand that they need to get as many as they can, but when there's 20-35 people crammed in one little compartment and people are actually jammed up against the monorail doors, I can't believe that's even considered safe.

wilkeliza

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were there with me when I was at the parks last week. No castmember personally told me I had to be back whenever I did get a fastpass. Yes, I already knew about the policy change, but if I wanted to make a case on it, I could and use that as ammunition. Second, we did stand in line for ToT. But because it seems they are giving out more fastpasses now, we ended up waiting longer then we should because the fastpass constantly got backed up. And I would love to see anybody explain how it's better to wait at a fastpass machine for hours until a suitable time comes up, is more convenient then simply getting one when you first arrive giving you the opportunity to get another one within 2 hours, and using them when it's most convenient for you. Yup, waiting for the fastpass time to change is way better, please. It's not about 'following the rules' because if I really wanted to get over, I could. It's about how inconvenient this new policy is, and Disney should hear about it.

So sorry you feel the need to be angry and can't have a conversation like an adult on a discussion board. Now if you would want to tell me a real reason why you would want to complain other than "I didn't know I had to be back between x-time" I will gladly hear your argument. You did not say that you couldn't get back to the ride due to an ADR running long or being stuck in the hub due to a parade but simply because you wanted to park hop that day or are use to not using them until later. Also I never once said that a cast member told you you had to use it that day. I simply said the time frame is posted and you are informed of it. The new fastpasses print out that they can not accommodate you outside of the window and so you were told maybe not verbally but it was written out. There are also new signs on the machines telling you to return within the window and this is printed in the daily guide. Again I know it isn't a verbal reminder but I think Disney is doing their job in making people aware.

I have been to rides when the fastpass line was longer than standby and my line just either didn't go on the ride or decided to do single rider if it was offered. This happened at Test Track and Everest on more than one occasion to my group. I wasn't able to ride Peter Pan on my last trip because the fast pass line and the standby line were so long that I would not have made it out of the park in time for me ME so I said well that's that and went to a ride with a short wait and left. I had already waited in a 45 minute long line earlier in the day to ride it and I was happy to ride it at least once.

I would love to have you in the parks with me. Maybe my low key easy going style with rub off on you. There are more problems in the world than for me to get hot headed that I can't always use the fastpass system. If I really must ride a ride I will get in the standby line if there are no more fastpasses or if there seems to be a back up in the fastpass line. Waiting in line is apart of amusement parks. You can find me in the parks pretty often from September until January if you really want to see my reactions.

One final note this business that they are handing out more fastpasses has come directly from here. No official word has come out that more fastpasses are being handed out. Now if someone with an insider wants to confirm that this is indeed true and not just speculation from a few people who have seen back up fastpass lines then I will believe it.

the-reason14

So sorry you feel the need to be angry and can't have a conversation like an adult on a discussion board. Now if you would want to tell me a real reason why you would want to complain other than "I didn't know I had to be back between x-time" I will gladly hear your argument. You did not say that you couldn't get back to the ride due to an ADR running long or being stuck in the hub due to a parade but simply because you wanted to park hop that day or are use to not using them until later. Also I never once said that a cast member told you you had to use it that day. I simply said the time frame is posted and you are informed of it. The new fastpasses print out that they can not accommodate you outside of the window and so you were told maybe not verbally but it was written out. There are also new signs on the machines telling you to return within the window and this is printed in the daily guide. Again I know it isn't a verbal reminder but I think Disney is doing their job in making people aware.

I have been to rides when the fastpass line was longer than standby and my line just either didn't go on the ride or decided to do single rider if it was offered. This happened at Test Track and Everest on more than one occasion to my group. I wasn't able to ride Peter Pan on my last trip because the fast pass line and the standby line were so long that I would not have made it out of the park in time for me ME so I said well that's that and went to a ride with a short wait and left. I had already waited in a 45 minute long line earlier in the day to ride it and I was happy to ride it at least once.

I would love to have you in the parks with me. Maybe my low key easy going style with rub off on you. There are more problems in the world than for me to get hot headed that I can't always use the fastpass system. If I really must ride a ride I will get in the standby line if there are no more fastpasses or if there seems to be a back up in the fastpass line. Waiting in line is apart of amusement parks. You can find me in the parks pretty often from September until January if you really want to see my reactions.

One final note this business that they are handing out more fastpasses has come directly from here. No official word has come out that more fastpasses are being handed out. Now if someone with an insider wants to confirm that this is indeed true and not just speculation from a few people who have seen back up fastpass lines then I will believe it.

Cool. Thanks for your input. I don't see where I'm not having an 'adult conversation,' but if that makes you have a better day, so be it. Couldn't care any less. I think it's pretty accurate that they are handing out more passes, every fastpass line I saw last week was insanely longer then they should be, but whatever I didn't do them.

Anyways ya, I don't have to give you any reason as to why I want to complain as you're not a person that could actually help me out while in the parks if I wanted help. But for the sake of discussion, I'd complain just because I don't like the new policy. Simple as that. And yes I agree, there are far more things out in the world worthy of complaining about. Not just WDW but the whole world. Yet you still get threads about burnt out bulbs and the one AA who twitched in the wrong direction, but I guess that's outside of the point as well. When it all falls down, you do you while on vacation and what's most convenient for you. I do the same, and this new policy has dented that for me. I don't expect anyone to really care, because I'm the one taking issue with it. But it is what it is.

And thanks for the offer, I'd love to go back to WDW on a slow time. Then maybe I could join most of you guys and complain about the things that really matter, like chipped paint and light bulbs.

Disneycoog

Re:

We absolutely hate the enforcement of fast passes!!! Never saw anything wrong the 9 other times we have come in the last five years. My biggest other issue was all the refurbs and green walls that were up everywhere even our resort. I spent more time reading signs that Sid we are remodeling for your future enjoyment. I understand things need to be taken care of ,but when I asked a cast member he said it was because we are not in peak season!!! My rear every resort was booked and it was packed.

devoy1701

Just got back 8 hours ago from our trip. We absolutely HATE the Fastpass change. The reason we hate it is because the E ticket rides are spaced out so much and the return times conflict with each other. I wonder if this wouldn't be as much of a problem during non-peak times. For now our vote is that we hate it.

On that topic, if Disney is going to enforce Fastpass times, then when are they going to enforce no flash photos, no holding places in line, and no smoking in general areas? Also, I'm going to have a sticker made for our backpack for our next trip that says "Warning: bumping into this person may result in the occasional accidental elbowing of your face".

We can't figure it out, but it just seems to us that people behave better at Universal as opposed to Disney
. We can't understand it because I'm sure that many of the same people visit both places. I hardly had anyone bumping into me at Uni, and it seems to be a better experience each time we visit. This saddens me because I LOVE Disney and I've got my wife talked into moving to the area mainly because of my love of the place and the fact that my company has a distribution center down there.

That being said, we've got our trip booked for September, so hopefully things get better on this next trip. Thanks for reading!

We noticed when doing a back-to-back WDW/DL trip that people are MUCH much more pleasant and polite on the West Coast than here at WDW. Not sure what it is about WDW but it seems to bring out the "commando/I don't care bout no one but me" mentality!

Irie

I forgot something else that annoys me, but it's not Disney's fault. The ride back to the TTC on the monorail. They should place signs up that say WOMAN AND CHILDREN SIT, MEN STAND. We got into a compartment and this dude just sat there with his family while two women an this little boy had to stand and get swung around since it was so cramped. He was an American, as I heard him talking to his family. Men like him should be punched in the neck as soon as they step out of the monorail. I made sure to say to him as I passed by that real men let women and children have a seat.

I will say that my son and I had a real blast doing some pin trading.[/QUOTE]

^This. I normally don't agree with Draybook, but he is dead on with this one. EVERYONE is tired after a day in the park, but I always offer my seat to a woman or child. Even my 12 year old son has been doing this since he was 8. Manners have gone by the wayside in society.

jakeman

We noticed when doing a back-to-back WDW/DL trip that people are MUCH much more pleasant and polite on the West Coast than here at WDW. Not sure what it is about WDW but it seems to bring out the "commando/I don't care bout no one but me" mentality!
Interesting.

I had the exact opposite experience at DL. People were quite literally running down Main Street after rope drop to the attractions they wanted and had no qualms with bumping you out of the way.

I also found the cast members in both the Grand Californian hotel and the them parks to be indifferent. Not rude, just indifferent.

I'm not sure we can make sweeping statements based on anecdotal experiences.

devoy1701

Interesting.

I had the exact opposite experience at DL. People were quite literally running down Main Street after rope drop to the attractions they wanted and had no qualms with bumping you out of the way.

I also found the cast members in both the Grand Californian hotel and the them parks to be indifferent. Not rude, just indifferent.

I'm not sure we can make sweeping statements based on anecdotal experiences.

I didn't say CMs, just guests (and population in general) in SoCal seemed much more laid back.

You have to be to put up with that traffic.

I mean we were able to watch MSEP sitting down on the sidewalk and nobody tried to wiggle their way infront of us, encroach behind us, give us some sad story that their kids whathaveyou please let us infront. I think one big factor is less South American tourists. I'm sure some SoCal residents would probably agree with me too. There is a completely different breed of tourist between the 2 resorts.

draybook

Original Poster
I didn't say CMs, just guests (and population in general) in SoCal seemed much more laid back.

You have to be to put up with that traffic.

I mean we were able to watch MSEP sitting down on the sidewalk and nobody tried to wiggle their way infront of us, encroach behind us, give us some sad story that their kids whathaveyou please let us infront. I think one big factor is less South American tourists. I'm sure some SoCal residents would probably agree with me too. There is a completely different breed of tourist between the 2 resorts.

Regardless of people thinking it's prejudice to think so, I 100% agree with this statement. Southern American people, along with some Asian folks are getting out of hand with their behavior. There was 3 instances of some Asian folks putting their hands on my wife and daughter to move them out of the way. I fixed that quick, fast, and in a hurry.

jakeman

I didn't notice a significant difference in the type of tourist at each resort.

Both seem to have their share of unsavory guest based on my experience.

Whether one is greater than the other would be difficult to quantify based solely on individual experiences. For every positive Disneyland experience, I'm sure the converse example can be made.

chloe4ever

As a woman in her 30's it feels ridiculous for a man to be "made" to give up his seat just because I am standing. I have two feet--I can stand just fine--seems too out of date. I run marathons, yet I need a man to give up his seat *rolls eyes*. And a kid is a kid--they are built for standing and have insane endurance and for the most part like to stand better anyway!

And nobody knows why a person is sitting. Health issues. Tired. Need the rest. It is beyond rude to make a comment to someone in that situation and only demonstrates a lack of manners on the part of the person making the comments. It is NOT your business. What right do you have to say anything snide to another person in that situation? You want to be a "gentleman" and make yourself feel like you are a beacon of civility? Fine--go ahead-stand away. But leave the rest of us alone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom