Some quick thoughts from our trip

Just got back 8 hours ago from our trip. We absolutely HATE the Fastpass change. The reason we hate it is because the E ticket rides are spaced out so much and the return times conflict with each other. I wonder if this wouldn't be as much of a problem during non-peak times. For now our vote is that we hate it.

On that topic, if Disney is going to enforce Fastpass times, then when are they going to enforce no flash photos, no holding places in line, and no smoking in general areas? Also, I'm going to have a sticker made for our backpack for our next trip that says "Warning: bumping into this person may result in the occasional accidental elbowing of your face".

We can't figure it out, but it just seems to us that people behave better at Universal as opposed to Disney. We can't understand it because I'm sure that many of the same people visit both places. I hardly had anyone bumping into me at Uni, and it seems to be a better experience each time we visit. This saddens me because I LOVE Disney and I've got my wife talked into moving to the area mainly because of my love of the place and the fact that my company has a distribution center down there.

That being said, we've got our trip booked for September, so hopefully things get better on this next trip. Thanks for reading!

TheBeatles

To me, Fastpass enforcement is a non-issue. There are way bigger fish to fry than being upset that the Fastpass rule cannot be manipulated anymore.

Dealing with Fastpass creates a lot of unnecessary talking and conflict amongst Guest and Cast. I'm hopeful this new rule will change that.

In terms of flash, there isn't much that can be done. Some attractions ask that it not be done and others cannot because it will interrupt the show. My suggestion; if you are a Guest and someone is talking flash pictures, tell them to stop.

Tom

Beta Return
Just because I am a man means I can't sit on the monorail? Those same people had been standing in lines all day and probably riding rides that flung them around. What's the difference? I always give up my seat but to say that it should be a given is ridiculous.

I wanted to phrase it your way, but I didn't. Glad you did!

draybook

Original Poster
And I would respect your opinion about giving up your seat. I however have been trained to be courteous and have civility. While I was exaggerating on every man standing, I don't see the problem with giving up your seat for a child or woman.

And if your back or whatever was hurting "so bad" then maybe you shouldn't be walking around a theme park? My back was pretty bad for the first 3 days of the trip, didn't stop me from giving up my seat on the bus from TTC to Epcot when the monorail was down. I also have shin and back problems from my time in the service, doesn't stop me from giving up my seat for a woman or child. People's opinion on chivalry and/or courtesy are different, which is fine and dandy. However, my view is no more "ridiculous" than yours.

Seems like I've riled up a few folks about the FP issue too, which is funny because I'm not complaining about "manipulating" the system as some people seem intent on calling it. We used the system the way they intended on this trip, and we'll continue to do so. Oh, and fwiw, we still saw the FP lines jamming up the stand by lines, even with the windows being enforced. So, I don't see how anybody's argument based on that fact stands firm.

Buried20KLeague

To me, Fastpass enforcement is a non-issue.

Dealing with Fastpass creates a lot of unnecessary talking and conflict amongst Guest and Cast. I'm hopeful this new rule will change that.

Wow, Are you WAY off. I've been here a few days and personally seen the exact opposite over and over and over. This rule is creating far MORE conflict between guests and CM's... And it's absolutely without question creating many more unhappy guests.

I plan on sharing my thought more in depth once I return home, but I had to comment because your thought gave me such a chuckle. This rule isn't solving problems for ANYONE... It's creating them.

cwtigerlily

I definitely agree that the fastpass system hurts the hardcore Disney fan much more than a normal tourist, especially since many tourists probably didn't realize you could return late anyhow. As a local college student, I am very frustrated with the new system, simply because it doesn't let me move as quickly through a park. I used to be able to easily ride everything and see a lot of characters in one day by collecting fastpasses for e-tickets and moving quickly regardless of the crowd level. Now it is much more difficult to complete everything in a short period of time. Since I live nearby, it is no longer that big of a deal to me, but when my family comes down to visit and gets a four day pass because of the expense, it is very hard to accomplish everything they would like to.

Regarding the monorail - in my mind, it is common courtesy for anyone, male or female, who is healthy to stand up for anyone else. However, personally, I don't think you have a right to make a snide comment at someone for not standing up. You don't know their situation at all. My uncle, for example, is in his 40s but cannot (doctor's orders) stand still for a period of time without pain. Should he give up his trips to Disney or anywhere because he has that pain? I definitely don't think so. Should he have to give up his seat just because a woman in her 20s or 30s or a kid is standing up? At the same time, I don't expect anyone to give up their seat for him either. If you are so mad at the man for not standing up and offering his seat, why didn't you offer the woman and/or child your seat instead? Just because he is a man doesn't mean he should be required to give up his seat more than you are.

TheBeatles

Wow, Are you WAY off. I've been here a few days and personally seen the exact opposite over and over and over. This rule is creating far MORE conflict between guests and CM's... And it's absolutely without question creating many more unhappy guests.

I plan on sharing my thought more in depth once I return home, but I had to comment because your thought gave me such a chuckle. This rule isn't solving problems for ANYONE... It's creating them.

I'll try to clarify my thoughts. Please let me know if you need further explanation, because I think you misunderstood my point.

I was referring to the OP being so upset about the new system. He seemed really unhappy with it and I personally think there are far greater issues at hand inside the parks.

I said I was hopeful it could solve issues, not that IT IS solving issues. I think it's sad that so many people are upset about having to follow stated rules--stated on the FP machines and tickets-- and thinking that because they can't use the old system, it is somehow unfair to them.

I know for a fact that it is creating more conflict due to many friends on the front line, but I'm optimistic that once the initial stink is over, people will just get used to it.

draybook

Original Poster
However, personally, I don't think you have a right to make a snide comment at someone for not standing up. You don't know their situation at all. My uncle, for example, is in his 40s but cannot (doctor's orders) stand still for a period of time without pain. Should he give up his trips to Disney or anywhere because he has that pain? I definitely don't think so. Should he have to give up his seat just because a woman in her 20s or 30s or a kid is standing up? At the same time, I don't expect anyone to give up their seat for him either. If you are so mad at the man for not standing up and offering his seat, why didn't you offer the woman and/or child your seat instead? Just because he is a man doesn't mean he should be required to give up his seat more than you are.

I would have gladly offered my seat, you know, my seat being the door that I was squished against. See, when I get into the monorail I automatically stand so that a woman or child can have a seat, or the elderly. And I have the right to make whatever comments I want because that's the freedom we have, just like people have the freedom to sit and not offer their seats. Maybe you should try reading people's posts before you hit the reply button.

Forgot to mention that I watched the man walk in just fine and leave the monorail just fine. Just thought I'd add that in there.

backinaction

Yea dray, I think your comment to the man on the monorail was out of line. It shouldn't be a requirement for anyone to give up a seat on the monorail, and it really wasn't any of your business to get involved with someone giving up their seat. Who are you the monorail patrol or something? And if it was me you made that snotty comment to about not being "a man", you would have heard an earful right back. I have also noticed your hatred toward the Brazilian tour groups around the parks. Let me guess, it was a Brazilian that bumped into you in the parks? Come on man your in Disney World for christ sakes! Who cares about a seat on the monorail or if someone bumps into you accidentally. Your in the happiest place on earth! Get over it!

Tigger1988

As a woman I don't feel entitled to a seat if I walk into a busy monorail cabin or bus. If someone is tired and wants to sit they have every right to, regardless of their gender or age.

Now what I DO take issue with is when a bus is standing room only but parents are taking up seats for their bulky strollers. A stroller is not a person, it does not need a seat.

Tom

Beta Return
As a woman I don't feel entitled to a seat if I walk into a busy monorail cabin or bus. If someone is tired and wants to sit they have every right to, regardless of their gender or age.

Now what I DO take issue with is when a bus is standing room only but parents taking up seats for their bulky strollers. A stroller is not a person, it does not need a seat.

Exactly!

awhit066

I know for a fact that it is creating more conflict due to many friends on the front line, but I'm optimistic that once the initial stink is over, people will just get used to it.

I hope the same. I understand that it had become common knowledge with the frequent visitors and online community that the rules were not enforced, but enforced or not the return window was still a rule. Hopefully the enforcement of the return window will eventually lead to a better experience for everyone and not just those in the know.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes

Now what I DO take issue with is when a bus is standing room only but parents are taking up seats for their bulky strollers. A stroller is not a person, it does not need a seat.

On the launches, our OG requires strollers to be in a seat instead of the aisle for "safety" reasons. Why, I don't know. If we're taking on water, I'm throwin it overboard if it's in the way :ROFLOL: Luckily, that rules, although on the books, was quickly disregarded and no pilots follow it because it's A) stupid and B) inconveniences the guests and C) creates unnecessary confrontation.

Yea dray, I think your comment to the man on the monorail was out of line. It shouldn't be a requirement for anyone to give up a seat on the monorail, and it really wasn't any of your business to get involved with someone giving up their seat. Who are you the monorail patrol or something? And if it was me you made that snotty comment to about not being "a man", you would have heard an earful right back. I have also noticed your hatred toward the Brazilian tour groups around the parks. Let me guess, it was a Brazilian that bumped into you in the parks? Come on man your in Disney World for christ sakes! Who cares about a seat on the monorail or if someone bumps into you accidentally. Your in the happiest place on earth! Get over it!

I agree with you! Even though I will give up my seat if I think someone else could use it more, I never assume someone else should. You truly don't know what is going on in other people's lives, and you know what they say about people who assume:drevil:

I also think that people need to be more responsible for their family members. I know that if I am at the world with someone who can't stand on a bus, I see to it they don't. We either use taxis to get around, or we wait for a bus that has open seating. It is my responsibility to see to my family's safety and comfort, not random people on a bus. If I don't see to it, I have no business expecting other people to.

Unplugged

I agree with you! Even though I will give up my seat if I think someone else could use it more, I never assume someone else should. You truly don't know what is going on in other people's lives, and you know what they say about people who assume:drevil:

I also think that people need to be more responsible for their family members. I know that if I am at the world with someone who can't stand on a bus, I see to it they don't. We either use taxis to get around, or we wait for a bus that has open seating. It is my responsibility to see to my family's safety and comfort, not random people on a bus. If I don't see to it, I have no business expecting other people to.

We follow the same policies! If my son is about to fall asleep, he'll sit on my wife's lap and I'll gladly give my seat to another parent, sleepy child, or elderly. But having been on trips where I walked WDW for a week with a non-obvious knee injury, severely blistered foot, etc. I can honestly say I judge no one on this. Everyone should have a good time and some may simply be too damn worn out to stand up for someone who is not-so-obviously in better shape. What we see is not always the fact.

We all just need to be more tolerant of each other and remember during difficult or stressful times that we're all there to have fun.

Deputyjc

As far as the giving up your seat for women, children, or elderly I think its just common courtesy. However, you don't know everyones situation so you shouldn't judge them. I personally have a serious back condition, so no I won't be giving up my seat if I even get one. I also won't complain about standing either. Disney is a crowded place and you just have to deal with certain things. Now on to the fast pass issue. They were always meant to be used during a certain time slot, and the times were never enforced. Now that they are enforcing the times the only people complaining about it are the ones that abused it in the first place. Fast passes work fine, you just have to be willing to adjust your schedule. As for the whole no flash photography, I do agree that they shouldn't be used where they are not permitted. But to say that they shouldn't allow any flash cameras in the parks is just plain stupid. People spend a lot of money to make trips to Disney and should be able to take as many pictures as they like to preserve those memories. What they need to do is enforce the areas where you are not to use flash.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
When we first taking our boys to WDW, they were 7 & 8, and my rule to them was - you NEVER sit while a lady, an elderly person, or a toddler stands. My husband automatically stands, regardless of how many people are sharing our train.
I understand the OP's take on being bumped into. I am 5' 4", while my hubby is 6' 8", so people don't see me. Literally. It's almost like they can't take their eyes off him, and plow right into me. We don't believe in walking 4 abreast, but it would be nice to actually walk beside my husband once in a while. Alas, in MK especially, hubby insists that I tuck in directly behind him, which is like walking behind a wall.
Oh well, the worst day at WDW is still better than any day just about anywhere else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom