Some MK kingdom Updates

George Lucas on a Bench

I prefer the original Small World load area as well. Then again, I feel that way about most things in the parks that have been altered. Most of the time, the old ways are best. The Disneyland-esque facade placed in the Magic Kingdom version interior is just kinda weird to me, and it's also been left to rot. It's in a pretty deplorable state from what I remember. If they were going to change anything, it shouldn't have been the classic WDW facade, but rather the depressing ceiling tiles. I also prefer the original queue line arrangement. When I've been there, the current queue reversal has frequently led to the line poking out into the Fantasyland concourse for some reason.

MarkTwain

Call me crazy but I prefer the current small world facade. It's more kinetic, more layered, and IMO more enticing. The smiling clock is a good "face" for the attraction, and the moving clockwork figures that emerge every 15 minutes provide good entertainment for longer waits. Plus I'm never one to like pastel in a Disney park, and especially one that needs very much to reverse its unfair childish reputation as much as possible, so to me the all-white scheme presents a more sophisticated look. Can you imagine the uproar if the clock and moving figures had been built originally and then torn down after the fact (and replaced with nothing)? The thread here would last for months.

I will concede that it would be nice if the fountains were still around. And the really stupid mistake IMO was reversing the queue flow. Now guests waiting in line can't as easily use the room and its clock/national icons as preshow entertainment.

Clowd Nyne

Wow, I totally forgot about the fountains, I miss them too - I like the "new" facade, but i'd love to see those fountains.
When I took the kids in 2011 I hadn't been there since the remodel. I was sad I liked the fountains. I will just have to ride dumbo at night to get my fix. :)

hiptwinmama

The end remodel is for Next Gen, it's just not active yet. Apparently once active it will say goodbye along with your name.... read from the RFID.

jharvey

In 2004, the Tiki Room at Disneyland got a 7 month refurbishment. That's crazy. I don't think that would ever happen at MK. During that refurb it got brand new AA's. That's what our Tiki room needs. Also, I say bring back the original 17 min show, and the enchanted fountain.

But it did get a major refub/overhaul. Right? Or was that a fevor dream I had. They had an "accidental" fire, totally not set by a purist Imagineer, that wacked Iago and Zazu. I watched it this past September, and no issues to report.
Tiki is in the shallow end of the popularity pool, so if something did go wrong with it, I can see it being an issue they let fester. IASW is a totally different animal. One of my least favorite attractions, but always the first attraction on the first day. It has been that way since I was 5 years old and traveling with my parents, and was so as a 32 year old with DW, DS8, and DD5. Sad, but I cannot see this continuing much longer ( I know it's been going on a while, but much longer takes on a different definition with TDO). When your average American thinks of WDW (not the people that go 3-100 times a year or frequent this site) they think of MK. When those same people think of MK, they think of two things. Cindy's castle and small world and that damnable song.
So, smile, iasw will get the love it needs. Yet another excuse to push CoP down the list of priorities.

BrightImagine

We were at the MK two weeks ago, 1/20. Posted wait times went up to 70 minutes for many attractions by the afternoon... the highest I saw was 120 minutes for Dumbo (?!). I can only assume that it was holiday weekend traffic combined with the pressure of Splash Mountain being down. I was actually happy to see it with scaffolding all over it! It was interesting to see the tracks and Briar Patch with no water.

I hope Splash is getting lots of attention - if it takes more than 3 months, I would see that as a good thing. Three months seems quite short in WDW time. My husband was quite disappointed that Splash was down during our trip, as it's his favorite, and when we originally booked I think that Splash was scheduled to be up and the Tea Party to be down. He did seem better when I explained to him that the attraction sorely needs help.

We were quite disappointed to see all those IASW "goodbye" signs all covered up during our visit. I'm glad to see that they look the same, even if they are going to speak to us at some point.

Yert3

But it did get a major refub/overhaul. Right? Or was that a fevor dream I had. They had an "accidental" fire, totally not set by a purist Imagineer, that wacked Iago and Zazu. I watched it this past September, and no issues to report.
Tiki is in the shallow end of the popularity pool, so if something did go wrong with it, I can see it being an issue they let fester. IASW is a totally different animal. One of my least favorite attractions, but always the first attraction on the first day. It has been that way since I was 5 years old and traveling with my parents, and was so as a 32 year old with DW, DS8, and DD5. Sad, but I cannot see this continuing much longer ( I know it's been going on a while, but much longer takes on a different definition with TDO). When your average American thinks of WDW (not the people that go 3-100 times a year or frequent this site) they think of MK. When those same people think of MK, they think of two things. Cindy's castle and small world and that damnable song.
So, smile, iasw will get the love it needs. Yet another excuse to push CoP down the list of priorities.
Well yes, the Tiki Room at MK was reverted back to the original, but even on opening day it had very very stiff animatronics. Even really simple things like the flowers looked terrible.
MK flowers @ 6:31:

DL flowers @ 7:32:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom