Solving the WDW Capcity Problem. Ideas?

thomas998

They could add "Smart" stroller systems.. aka that lift the stroller, and handed you a card.
once you need your thing.. you set up the card in the system.. and the thing gives you back your stroller!
And if you banned strollers completely you would still have families going, but when junior's legs got tired the family would be going back to the hotel to rest instead of just putting him in the stroller and staying in the park.

Kuzcotopia

Raise Ticket Prices :).

Honestly, this is the best way to reduce crowds. If expanding new lands and attractions only draws more people, then perhaps raising ticket prices is the only way.

We have 7 day tickets on our next trip. There is a very good chance that we will visit MK close to five times, and the odds of us being at that park between 1-4 at all are very small. Gotta plan ahead until they can price out some people!

Potter

Raise Ticket Prices :).

I would agree with this but only for APs and 1 to 2 day ticket holders. We all know that the reason the parks are slammed is because of the locals and the fact that they go to the parks on average 3 to 5 times a year yet provide no or very limited profits to Disney whereas us non-locals, who will only visit on average 3 to 5 times in a lifetime, are the ones providing Disney with true earnings. By raising prices on APs and 1 to 2 day ticket passes, local infiltration will decrease and force those who attend to contribute their fair share (not to mention, decrease the amount of drunks attending F&W).

Kevo

By raising prices on APs and 1 to 2 day ticket passes, local infiltration will decrease and force those who attend to contribute their fair share (not to mention, decrease the amount of drunks attending F&W).

Haha!
You will get some reaction from this post, but I'm pretty certain that's what you were after anyway!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I would agree with this but only for APs and 1 to 2 day ticket holders. We all know that the reason the parks are slammed is because of the locals and the fact that they go to the parks on average 3 to 5 times a year yet provide no or very limited profits to Disney whereas us non-locals, who will only visit on average 3 to 5 times in a lifetime, are the ones providing Disney with true earnings. By raising prices on APs and 1 to 2 day ticket passes, local infiltration will decrease and force those who attend to contribute their fair share (not to mention, decrease the amount of drunks attending F&W).
Yes, because out-of-town individuals never imbibe....

More ignorant prattle from the reigning expert.

thomas998

Yes, because out-of-town individuals never imbibe....

More ignorant prattle from the reigning expert.

He has a valid point. But it is only going to upset the people that use AP's... It really is only a variant on raising ticket prices. Of course the same lower crowds could also be created by eliminating all multi-day passes and annual passes of any sort. I know we would go less than we do now if that happened... but I would expect that because most everyone would go less that when we did go the crowds would be down and we would probably end up riding the same amount of rides in a given year that we do right now.

In the end I prefer to spend my time at Disney riding rides not standing in lines... My last trip to DL I decided to time the length of the rides versus the amount of time I spend in line. Does anyone think it beyond ridiculous to spend 45 minutes for a 80 second Dumbo ride? When you look at the amount of time you spend in line versus the amount of time you are actually enjoying a ride it becomes comical. If anything ride times on some rides like Dumbo seem to have gotten shorter while the wait time has increased.

Cesar R M

And if you banned strollers completely you would still have families going, but when junior's legs got tired the family would be going back to the hotel to rest instead of just putting him in the stroller and staying in the park.
that would make "patriot" families very ed and will complain (and claim they are gonna sue you.. because of "think of the children!") if you banned them.

Figaro928

Make DHS and AK must-do full day parks for the entire family. Add more to Epcot. The average week long family visit probably visits MK the most. If the parks were equivalent to MK time would be spent equal.

As for actual full capacity days? Maybe if AK had an amazing something on Christmas people would go there vs MK.

Also have more to-do's at the resorts for guests. Make the on-site guests want to spend a full day at their resort. Or maybe allow them to purchase a pool-hopper ticket?

thomas998

Make DHS and AK must-do full day parks for the entire family. Add more to Epcot. The average week long family visit probably visits MK the most. If the parks were equivalent to MK time would be spent equal.

As for actual full capacity days? Maybe if AK had an amazing something on Christmas people would go there vs MK.

Also have more to-do's at the resorts for guests. Make the on-site guests want to spend a full day at their resort. Or maybe allow them to purchase a pool-hopper ticket?

Yep in a typical week's vacation we might hit Epcot or DHS once, maybe twice for Epcot.... but AK is at most a half day stop and we have done trips where we never wasted our time with it.

MOUSEGIRL

I think the biggest problem is the strollers. I dont understand why people bring toddlers and younger to Disney. The parents are not having a good time and neither is the child. I am a Disney lover we go twice a year if not more. We did not take our son until he was in first grade. He walked the entire time I was the one who needed the stroller (lol). We went the first week of December and the strollers were out of control along with the screaming children. The parents and children were so unhappy I just kept thinking to myself I bet they are happy they spent thousands of dollars on this trip.

Uncle Remus

I think the biggest problem is the strollers. I dont understand why people bring toddlers and younger to Disney. The parents are not having a good time and neither is the child. I am a Disney lover we go twice a year if not more. We did not take our son until he was in first grade. He walked the entire time I was the one who needed the stroller (lol). We went the first week of December and the strollers were out of control along with the screaming children. The parents and children were so unhappy I just kept thinking to myself I bet they are happy they spent thousands of dollars on this trip.

There is nothing more "Disney" than seeing a 3-5 year old little girl meeting what she believes is a real princess.

LondonGopher

Honestly get rid of fastpass in all its incarnations. It keeps people meandering in the parks instead of in lines waiting for attractions. Next up, Disney will never stop trying to pack the parks to overflowing anymore. The parks used to have several times per year of lower attendance. This can be a problem, why go if it is jam packed?

Time to address attractions, and restaurants. Why so many restaurants closed? Especially in MK? Why no new omnimover dark rides that are family friendly? Not just in MK but anywhere.

Let's talk MK restaurants. On all but the busiest days of the year, Tomorrowland Terrace, Diamond Horseshoe and whatever the Mexican one is called these days...are closed. Yet look at the madness surrounding BOG. People are DESPERATE to get in there and eat!

Imagine if a bit of spare cash was directed toward re-theming all these "seasonal" QS options. I remember seeing some great entertainment at the Diamond Horseshoe. I love "dinner and a show" - lots of us do. Why couldn't that stage be utilized for "dinner theatre" (or lunch theatre, whatever) performances...even if it was only Disney music? They could have "pirated" the Mexican joint when the first POTC film took off and they launched the franchise. I'm guessing folks would have loved to "Dine w/Captain Jack". Longish lunches get people off the streets at the park's busiest time AND make money for WDW. They've got the space, they've seen it's a HUGE draw (if done "right" - see BOG)...

OK, I'd love to write more about how there isn't a capacity problem at ANY other park, just wasted opportunities (Backlot Tour...grr...)...but I better go and make dinner so my husband doesn't have to gnaw on the furniture when he gets home.

Great topic, btw!

jharvey

Tremendous topic OP. As a part-time disney obsessive and full-time Loss Prevention professional, I have thought about this a time or two. However, my thoughts gravitate towards crowd control / safety. With that in mind, my concern has been on the hub pre and post wishes, light show, and main street at closing time.

If you look at the crowd as a pie, the key, as I see it, is to reduce that pie in anyway. You must understand that you will never make it orderly. You can only hope to keep everything to a dull roar. So, my thoughts at chipping away at the chaos pie (copyright pending) are-
- mandate every restaurant in MK is staffed and opened year round. This will allow for a more orderly dining environment where pier six brawls don't break out because Jimmy is taking FOREVER at the fixins bar and I need to get to the hub two hours early to get a good spot for wishes. Baby step, but a step.
- land specific entertainment / rare meet and greets that are FPO available for a period of time for a 30 minute window before during and after the evening festivities. This will have more pull with the disney lifers than the once in a lifetimers who will fight hell and half of Georgia to let Joe Ray watch the fireworks from their shoulders like uncle-daddy Joe Ray senior did for them. Let these be those, OMG disney hasn't let them out of the cage in years M and G characters.
- extend the hours of DHS to mirror MK. This will stop some, a very small portion, but some of those that hop over to MK because the studios closed at 7:30. This would be easier if there was more to do at DHS, but it would help to at least pull some bodies out of the chaos pie (copyright pending).
- make legacy style fp available for the mountains for only the last two hours of operation.
- do a better job of letting guests know that they will not be left behind if they do not get to the bus within 45 seconds of park close. Easier said than done, but if we could pack even more people into the emporium (just kidding) we could possibly forestall the first death the running of the bulls of alabama who have to catch the bus to POR RIGHT NOW. Guys, we are headed that way, unless someone can educate me and let me know that has already happened.
- and lastly, I have a suggestion that disney is already trying out. Make DTD/Springs a destination. I don't know, build a club that the adventurous amongst us would want to visit..... Add a fireworks show. Something that will put a dent in the sea of humanity that is in MK at night.

MOUSEGIRL

There is nothing more "Disney" than seeing a 3-5 year old little girl meeting what she believes is a real princess.
Yes but a five year old should not need a stroller. The first time I went to Disney I was in 4th grade my sisters 2nd and k. We had a great time no strollers my dad just carried my sister when her legs got tired or we went back to our room. My parents waited till we were all old enough to walk long distances.

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes but a five year old should not need a stroller. The first time I went to Disney I was in 4th grade my sisters 2nd and k. We had a great time no strollers my dad just carried my sister when her legs got tired or we went back to our room. My parents waited till we were all old enough to walk long distances.

This is a very personal decision that each family must make for itself. One size does not fit all. There are many reasons for taking children who still need a stroller, and not being able to wait until they are all the perfect age.

The first time I took my daughter she was only 18 months old, and we only went because my teenaged niece was visiting here in FL, had never been, and would probably never get another chance - she is now 45 and still hasn't returned.

But my daughter had so much fun that we went back, just the two of us, a few weeks later. And continued visiting every couple of months until it was too hard to take her out of school. If I had waited until she was older I would not have all of those wonderful memories (and photos!). As Uncle Remus mentioned, she still believed in magic.

morningstar

Stop running package discounts period. Especially during the busy times of the year. They're practically begging people to vacation there. Our first visit in 2002 was without discounts in value season and you could walk on every attraction. Ah the good old days. Now even in value season you have to beat back the crowds.

How about this? It could please the people who want low crowds and the people who want low prices. Un-value season. One week a year, tickets are $250 a day. If you really dislike crowds and are rich, it's for you.

Victor Kelly

Let's talk MK restaurants. On all but the busiest days of the year, Tomorrowland Terrace, Diamond Horseshoe and whatever the Mexican one is called these days...are closed. Yet look at the madness surrounding BOG. People are DESPERATE to get in there and eat!

Imagine if a bit of spare cash was directed toward re-theming all these "seasonal" QS options. I remember seeing some great entertainment at the Diamond Horseshoe. I love "dinner and a show" - lots of us do. Why couldn't that stage be utilized for "dinner theatre" (or lunch theatre, whatever) performances...even if it was only Disney music? They could have "pirated" the Mexican joint when the first POTC film took off and they launched the franchise. I'm guessing folks would have loved to "Dine w/Captain Jack". Longish lunches get people off the streets at the park's busiest time AND make money for WDW. They've got the space, they've seen it's a HUGE draw (if done "right" - see BOG)...

OK, I'd love to write more about how there isn't a capacity problem at ANY other park, just wasted opportunities (Backlot Tour...grr...)...but I better go and make dinner so my husband doesn't have to gnaw on the furniture when he gets home.

Great topic, btw!

I like the way you think!

Virtual Toad

Original Poster
I would change one thing... the FLORIDA APs :) - this would absolutely target the locals... (oh lord, I'm in trouble now....). One solution? Eliminate the concept of a Florida AP... just have APs.

See, I just don't understand that attitude. Many Florida AP holders make multiple hotel stays each year. Like two to three weeks or more on property year after year. We also serve as defacto tour guides when our out-of-town relatives come to WDW for a visit, making their visits more enjoyable and enjoyable visits means happier customers.

We fill otherwise unfilled hotel rooms, many times at the last minute. We pay (over-inflated) rack rate for dining in most cases, and we're a dandy fallback demographic whenever the economy turns south. That's good business for the company no matter how you slice it. A lot of us spend more on the mouse in a year than many families will spend in their lifetime.

Some people also seem to think we spend an inordinate amount of money on liquor during certain Food and Wine festivals but I digress. :)

Back on topic, my original intent was to search for solutions to the capacity problem, solutions that would ensure guests across the spectrum a fair shot at a less stressful, more enjoyable visit to the parks. Eliminating certain groups of guests from the equation is not what I had in mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom