Solo - A Star Wars Story SPOILER-Filled Thread (Reviews and Discussion)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I dont know. We had what, thor out in November, black panther in February, infinity wars in April, and ant man in June, and of the 3 released, I believe all 3 are in the top 10 grossing marvel films, and the two more recent are at or near the top. I think the first 2 are correct, but replace oversaturation with the complete hatred of last jedi and people quitting on the franchise because of it.

Exactly...

Not only is the frequency not affecting MCU...they are bringing out their diversity quest with different movies - Black panther and captain marvel being easy examples - and then tying them back into the greater franchise...

Exactly what they failed miserably at with 7 and 8...and it just resulted in bleh.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That’s probably why you like those “outdated” old Star Wars movies
Tinfoil-Mouse_Ears_zps3af05cb0.jpg

erasure fan1

Exactly...

Not only is the frequency not affecting MCU...they are bringing out their diversity quest with different movies - Black panther and captain marvel being easy examples - and then tying them back into the greater franchise...

Exactly what they failed miserably at with 7 and 8...and it just resulted in bleh.
I think it speaks more to the point that they had too "fly by the seat of your pants" sort of plan. That and the fact that they want to push forward and "let the past die" while at the same time try to bank on the past. I have liked all the movies so far. But I can't help but feel like, what could have been with a better plan from the start.

RandySavage

I enjoyed 'Solo.' Not as much as 'Rogue One', which was one of the best movie-going experiences I've had and ranks as my fav among them all. But I was much happier with Solo than TFA, TLJ or the Prequels, which - for me - all diminished the story, characters and/or mythos established in the Original Trilogy. Han/Chewie/Lando could have had any number of backstories, and this one was fine for me.

A few minor things irked me (e.g., the political robot at first, but the amusing droid revolt sort of made up for it), and I didn't really understand how Darth Maul was there at the end if had been killed off in the prequels, but I liked most of it. Seeing Imperial infantry squad's perspective in a WWI type setting was pretty awesome

Felt like a more fun, non-consequential taste of Star Wars Universe (I've seen it likened to a Western or Indy movie). Han and Lando actors aquitted themselves pretty well for these iconic roles. Somewhat surprised by its box office failings.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I enjoyed 'Solo.' Not as much as 'Rogue One', which was one of the best movie-going experiences I've had and ranks as my fav among them all. But I was much happier with Solo than TFA, TLJ or the Prequels, which - for me - all diminished the story, characters and/or mythos established in the Original Trilogy. Han/Chewie/Lando could have had any number of backstories, and this one was fine for me.

A few minor things irked me (e.g., the political robot at first, but the amusing droid revolt sort of made up for it), and I didn't really understand how Darth Maul was there at the end if had been killed off in the prequels, but I liked most of it. Seeing Imperial infantry squad's perspective in a WWI type setting was pretty awesome

Felt like a more fun, non-consequential taste of Star Wars Universe (I've seen it likened to a Western or Indy movie). Han and Lando actors aquitted themselves pretty well for these iconic roles. Somewhat surprised by its box office failings.
Darth Maul was brought back in Clone Wars and later Rebels. And, he became a crime lord. Him appearing actually makes sense in D-Canon.

If you haven't watched Clone Wars or Rebels (but more Clone Wars...though, Rebels still has some really good moments, including my favorite moment of all of Star Wars, the real death of Maul scene)....you really should.

The movie, even from people really, REALLY upset after TLJ, still gets pretty decent reviews. It's "ok". It's "fun". It's not amazing, but it's not bad.

I attribute that to the competency of Ron Howard.

That said...I've not seen it and I won't, because I'm in the group that has decided to boycott Star Wars movies. Is that why it is performing poorly? I...don't think so. But, could be.

What it isn't is "franchise fatigue", as the current spin is tossing out there. It's a lot more than that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it speaks more to the point that they had too "fly by the seat of your pants" sort of plan. That and the fact that they want to push forward and "let the past die" while at the same time try to bank on the past. I have liked all the movies so far. But I can't help but feel like, what could have been with a better plan from the start.

I don’t see “they have no idea what they’re doing” - in essence - and “I liked all the movies” being compatible in any way.

Can’t really have both.

Wendy Pleakley

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. The trailers just didn't do a good job conveying what the movie is like.

Generally, it just felt well paced. The dialogue, characters, story, action, etc. all just kept me engaged throughout.

I can't point to anything that would make this a great movie, it's mostly a fun diversion.

It goes through the checklist of things a Han Solo prequel needs to show us, and a lot things feel like they're there for the sake of being there. It is what it is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. The trailers just didn't do a good job conveying what the movie is like.

Generally, it just felt well paced. The dialogue, characters, story, action, etc. all just kept me engaged throughout.

I can't point to anything that would make this a great movie, it's mostly a fun diversion.

It goes through the checklist of things a Han Solo prequel needs to show us, and a lot things feel like they're there for the sake of being there. It is what it is.

Good take...did you feel like there was too much sequel setup?

Cause if “yes”...then I think I have some bad news for people...

Wendy Pleakley

It's interesting to see so many people ragging on Disney for ruining the franchise.

The original is a classic. Empire defied the odds and was a great sequel. Jedi was awful. The prequels weren't great.

This was a franchise that had 2 good movies out of 6. Disney has arguably done a better job thus far.

Wendy Pleakley

Good take...did you feel like there was too much sequel setup?

Cause if “yes”...then I think I have some bad news for people...

I thought it was odd to tie it so closely timewise to a New Hope. Plenty of Han Solo stories they could do before he ever gets involved with Jabba the Hutt.

Oddly, they were more focused on setting up a story featuring characters other than Han. Odd choice, unless the plan is to tie Maul into an Obi-Wan movie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's interesting to see so many people ragging on Disney for ruining the franchise.

The original is a classic. Empire defied the odds and was a great sequel. Jedi was awful. The prequels weren't great.

This was a franchise that had 2 good movies out of 6. Disney has arguably done a better job thus far.

It’s disheartening for them to be making some pretty big mistakes after the prequels. Honestly - the “sequel” trilogy is just as big of a disaster now. It’s bad family melodrama...even worse than before. And there’s nobody/nothing to root for...the gruesome twosome have guaranteed that now...

And I think it’s become very convenient to thrash jedi these days when making excuses...that has intensified since it started in the post prequel days.

Jedi is a frog with a lot of warts...but it was never looked at with the disgust of fandom like some of these doozies. Certainly a rehashed plot and Ewoks were a cringe...but it had its moments and in the context of the franchise/time period...there’s a lot there.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Jedi made sense, and was watchable, and saw these characters through the arc set up by the first two.

Nothing Disney has done makes sense, TLJ is barely watchable, and the new characters are overshadowed by how much time the movies spend spitting on the old ones.

It's fine to say "fast forward 20 years, we have a new story to tell"...fine, tell that story. It's also fine to say "we can't finish what the old characters started, and we ejected the EU that DID explain that". I'm fine with both of those things.

But, that isn't what they did.

What they did was say...Hey, HAN is in this movie! Oh, yeah, he's a deadbeat dad. Then they said, hey, LUKE is in this movie. Oh, he's a murderous coward.

Shove off, Disney. Or more accurately...Kathleen. Kathleen who thought Crystal Skull was a WONDERFUL idea. Remember that.

erasure fan1

I don’t see “they have no idea what they’re doing” - in essence - and “I liked all the movies” being compatible in any way.

Can’t really have both.
Its not both. You are misunderstanding what I said. Fly by the seat of your pants was ment as they had no real road map layed out for where they wanted to go with star wars. Marvel had a layout from the first iron man. They obviously didnt have scripts but they had a plan and direction. Kevin said in an interview they had over 20 movies maped out at the time of the first avengers movie. So of course they can make good movies but maybe with a bit more planning and forward thinking they all could have been great. Thats the reason I say I can't help but think of what could have been.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Its not both. You are misunderstanding what I said. Fly by the seat of your pants was ment as they had no real road map layed out for where they wanted to go with star wars. Marvel had a layout from the first iron man. They obviously didnt have scripts but they had a plan and direction. Kevin said in an interview they had over 20 movies maped out at the time of the first avengers movie. So of course they can make good movies but maybe with a bit more planning and forward thinking they all could have been great. Thats the reason I say I can't help but think of what could have been.
MCU had a plan because they took a very prominent comic arc, and ran with it. As much as I love how well the MCU has done, to be honest, it was done before...in the comics.

But, to be frank, that's where other franchises have faltered. Take how the X-Men movies decided to run with Dark Phoenix, and screwed it all up...

MCU did it because they were patient, plotted it out, and stuck to it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Im having a hard time seeing the difference...who on earth can look at “seat of the pants” with the history of this property and not blame fundamental incompetence?

You must be more willing than I...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I trust your opinion...

Wendy Pleakley

And I think it’s become very convenient to thrash jedi these days when making excuses...that has intensified since it started in the post prequel days.

Jedi is a frog with a lot of warts...but it was never looked at with the disgust of fandom like some of these doozies. Certainly a rehashed plot and Ewoks were a cringe...but it had its moments and in the context of the franchise/time period...there’s a lot there.

Jedi was well received when it was released because it was a fun action movie that appealed to Star Wars fans, in particular young ones. The prequels, in fact, hold the same appeal to the younger generation that grew up with them.

It's not about "making excuses". Looking at Jedi objectively, it's just a bad movie. This list, written before the prequels came out, really made me realize how flawed it is: http://filmthreat.com/uncategorized/50-reasons-why-return-of-the-jedi-sucks/

This franchise has always been all over the map in terms of quality. I don't know people need to spend so much time being angry over any given film. If someone doesn't care for an entry in the franchise, just move on and wait for the next one. There's plenty more to come.

The Force Awakens is familiar and pleasing, The Last Jedi is more surprising and original, Solo is a fun romp. Plenty of options.

What they did was say...Hey, HAN is in this movie! Oh, yeah, he's a deadbeat dad. Then they said, hey, LUKE is in this movie. Oh, he's a murderous coward.

Shove off, Disney. Or more accurately...Kathleen. Kathleen who thought Crystal Skull was a WONDERFUL idea. Remember that.

Veering off Solo here, but that comment is a stretch. Han isn't a deadbeat dad, his adult son went off on his own. Luke had a moment where he considered killing Kylo, but quickly decided against it. Hardly murderous.

As far as Crystal Skull, I'm pretty sure that was all Lucas. He had the power to dictate story, and he did.

Wendy Pleakley

The one issue I have with Solo is it's need to tie it into the larger saga.

Why does Han have to be the one who provides funding to this new alliance, and is a major reason, if not THE reason, that the Rebel Alliance comes to be.

It's far more interesting for him just to be a smuggler and scoundrel, who grows and becomes so much more when he is inadvertently drawn into the larger conflict.

It's just like Lucas's infamous decision not to have Han shoot first. He has to be the good guy, he can't be a morally questionable individual who changes over time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Jedi was well received when it was released because it was a fun action movie that appealed to Star Wars fans, in particular young ones. The prequels, in fact, hold the same appeal to the younger generation that grew up with them.

It's not about "making excuses". Looking at Jedi objectively, it's just a bad movie. This list, written before the prequels came out, really made me realize how flawed it is: http://filmthreat.com/uncategorized/50-reasons-why-return-of-the-jedi-sucks/

This franchise has always been all over the map in terms of quality. I don't know people need to spend so much time being angry over any given film. If someone doesn't care for an entry in the franchise, just move on and wait for the next one. There's plenty more to come.

The Force Awakens is familiar and pleasing, The Last Jedi is more surprising and original, Solo is a fun romp. Plenty of options.

Veering off Solo here, but that comment is a stretch. Han isn't a deadbeat dad, his adult son went off on his own. Luke had a moment where he considered killing Kylo, but quickly decided against it. Hardly murderous.

As far as Crystal Skull, I'm pretty sure that was all Lucas. He had the power to dictate story, and he did.

I’m gonna have to stand on my previous comment...jedi thrashing is a “thing” and Disney has really mucked these episodes up...

We can debate jedi at length another time...but there’s a lot more good than bad there...what it did most beautifully is maintain the Star Wars feel. That’s ultimately the big thing that’s like the lost ark now.

Many people rank 5, 7, 8 above 6...I don’t want to shout down, but that’s just nonsense. You have to frame it based on context and making that movie in 1982 was a big achievement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom