Solo - A Star Wars Story SPOILER-Filled Thread (Reviews and Discussion)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
(Moving this to the right thread. :) )

Box Office Mojo hasn't updated the foreign take since June 10th.

I would have thought that, too, but the good folks of this forum informed me that the date on the total is correct and it takes time to update the dates on the individual countries. So, it is current to the 17th.

1529459296902.png

rreading

TWDC will take a minor hit on the box office of this movie. They will be okay.

What’s disappointing to me is that I really enjoy seeing Star Wars movies in the theater. If SOLOs poor means that there are fewer films produced, then I’m sad about that.

It’s amazing to me that there are Star Wars fans who don’t get it (or they don’t want any more of them)

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
They didn't get what they wanted/expected in TLJ so now the world is ending and they will try anything to derail Disney's plans, Disney has come out and said that rumours of them stopping all other films apart from the main ones is inaccurate, as IX is the last in the current trilogy and the end of the Skywalker story they are concentrating on IX before going back to everything else.

Tick Tock

They didn't get what they wanted/expected in TLJ so now the world is ending and they will try anything to derail Disney's plans
As being someone who was quite letdown by TLJ, that seems a little extreme. What about simply hoping for better storytelling in future installments and move on? I may not be as excited about Ep. 9 after TLJ, but I sure plan to see it. And the last thing I'd want would be for the entire SW franchise to go belly-up. Just because your team blows one game doesn't mean the season is ruined.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
They expected Luke to come out fighting and be this bad that he never was, when they didn't get that toys got thrown out of prams pitchforks were grabbed and they went on a virtual witch hunt. As is usual with most fan bases the vocal minority makes more noise than the majority and that skews opinion.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
You know, like he did in every single other Star Wars movie.

They way he quietly centered himself and pulled a trigger while everyone was covering him was so badass!

And in the next, you gotta give him a hand since he lost his.

And in then next, he squirmed in Force Lightning like a real hero!!

:p

ppet

I did enjoy both Solo and TLJ, but with that said both movies could have been better. As others have said follow the Marvel plan. Plan out the movies, bring in the writers then involve the directors. Keep continuity. I'm really not a fan of the directors "writing" the scripts/story line. It's no wonder things are disjointed.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I did enjoy both Solo and TLJ, but with that said both movies could have been better. As others have said follow the Marvel plan. Plan out the movies, bring in the writers then involve the directors. Keep continuity. I'm really not a fan of the directors "writing" the scripts/story line. It's no wonder things are disjointed.

For the tragic fault of Lasseter, he did have a winning approach to making good movies: daily workshopping with a full team working on the movie. That not only made Pixar great but restored Disney Animation. For a sprawling franchise like SW, they should be doing the same.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

For the tragic fault of Lasseter, he did have a winning approach to making good movies: daily workshopping with a full team working on the movie. That not only made Pixar great be restored Disney Animation. For a sprawling franchise like SW, they should be doing the same.

There seems to be a stigma against writing movies with a large group of writers.

It's odd because that's how TV shows are written. They have a staff of writers, with a few taking the lead (and primary credit) on individual episodes.

I've wondered before why Johnson and Abrams didn't work together on the Episode 9 story. Johnson had some good ideas and was willing to veer off the established Star Wars formula, while Abrams was able to craft something very crowd pleasing. Putting them together could produce something that is the best of both worlds.

Tick Tock

They expected Luke to come out fighting and be this bad *** that he never was, when they didn't get that toys got thrown out of prams pitchforks were grabbed and they went on a virtual witch hunt. As is usual with most fan bases the vocal minority makes more noise than the majority and that skews opinion.
I mean, okay, so you're voicing frustration with groups of people who were dissatisfied with the movie. Isn't that the same as those dissatisfied with the movie voicing frustration with groups of people who defend it? It's a little ridiculous either way, to be blunt. Those wanting SW to "fail" :rolleyes: because of one letdown are wasting as much time as those who are upset that others hated it. Just love it or hate it... you're right either way.

5thGenTexan

I didn't see Solo till Friday night after we bought the DVD and let it sit in the house for a week. I wasn't particularly excited like I used to be. I really enjoyed it and sorry I missed it in the theater. It wasn't nearly as "eye rolling" as The Last Jedi. Of all the complaints of that movie which I agree with it really lost me when they used the "can you hear me, is this thing even on" gag.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn't see Solo till Friday night after we bought the DVD and let it sit in the house for a week. I wasn't particularly excited like I used to be. I really enjoyed it and sorry I missed it in the theater. It wasn't nearly as "eye rolling" as The Last Jedi. Of all the complaints of that movie which I agree with it really lost me when they used the "can you hear me, is this thing even on" gag.

That was my take as well.

All I know is that my 10 year old will watch rogue 1 and solo...he won’t even bother to watch a minute of last jedi or force awakens.

Nothing fun or compelling in those at all. But I know - everyone loved them...it’s just 10 angry people that don’t see the genius 🤓

LSLS

That was my take as well.

All I know is that my 10 year old will watch rogue 1 and solo...he won’t even bother to watch a minute of last jedi or force awakens.

Nothing fun or compelling in those at all. But I know - everyone loved them...it’s just 10 angry people that don’t see the genius 🤓

I will say as a counter, my 6 year old daughter wants nothing to do with the movies not having Rey. I see where they went with them to (and as a casual Star Wars fan, I fully admit I really liked Force Awakens), I just think Jedi was a miss. I further think that where they went with the movie and where they went with the Launch Bay showed a big disconnect. You introduce this new villain, and new hero to appeal to the girls, and then start with a meet and greet of Chewy and Darth Vader (then you add the villain, but not the hero from the movies)? Anyways, she will watch Last Jedi, but it's not on her "Oh, movie night, I really want to watch this one again" list like Force Awakens or Disney Princess movies or the Marvel films. I really had no interest in Solo based on the trailers, and neither did the kid, so that was a no go from the start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom