Solo - A Star Wars Story SPOILER-Filled Thread (Reviews and Discussion)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Might as well get such a thread started. I'm seeing it tonight. Won't be back to this thread until then.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So all that bluster about no EU...and resisting the instinct to reach with character insertion?

...apparently that wasn’t actually a REAL thing...i’m hearing...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Fun movie.

Best part: Han shot first.

Second best part: robot rebellion.

Worst part: He didn't seem as eager as he should have been to get his love interest to commit and stay, nor as sad as he should have been when she left.

I havent seen it yet...but taking you’re comment at face value I have to ask: shouldn’t he act that way? Doesn’t it fit?

LSLS

I was joking last night that if this is good at all, Ron Howard should win all the awards based on the train wreck production sounded like. I honestly have no desire to see it (not to derail the subject, but it's interesting how excited I am for 1 off Marvel movies after never seeing any before this year, and how over it I am with all of the Star Wars side movies), but I'm having a tough time figuring out if it is good or not. I don't buy what critics say ever, and most of the reviews that hate it are simply stating that TLJ ruined Star Wars forever. Tough getting a lot of reviews on the actual movie itself (hence I will be wandering around here).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I havent seen it yet...but taking you’re comment at face value I have to ask: shouldn’t he act that way? Doesn’t it fit?

The movie began with him caring very, very, very much about her. Then they got separated and she chose another 'way'. He definitely should have been more heartbroken and that should have been the cause of his jaded attitude. But that got downplayed a lot.

SiriusBlack

It was an enjoyable movie and Alden did a very good job of being Han.

Best part was def Han Shot first

my *** moment was at the end and the Maul reveal could point to another movie.
It depends on how this movie does (rotten tomatoes reviews are much lower than I would have guessed) but a Maul sidestory would be so great

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The movie began with him caring very, very, very much about her. Then they got separated and she chose another 'way'. He definitely should have been more heartbroken and that should have been the cause of his jaded attitude. But that got downplayed a lot.

One of the biggest, oldest complaints of Star Wars fans is the “domesticated” solo in return of the jedi...so taking a “aloof” approach with the backstory might be course corrective...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It depends on how this movie does (rotten tomatoes reviews are much lower than I would have guessed) but a Maul sidestory would be so great

...well...I’m disappointed disney is going for the two biggest “empty characters” in Star Wars film history...as apparently they announced a new movie yesterday also?

We’ll have to see how it plays.

This movie was never gonna be highly rated...too much water under the bridge at this point.

But what do the critics really know? I’ve abandoned tomatoes after the last one...too much Hollywood politics/influence in play.

More metacritic/user scores now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was joking last night that if this is good at all, Ron Howard should win all the awards based on the train wreck production sounded like. I honestly have no desire to see it (not to derail the subject, but it's interesting how excited I am for 1 off Marvel movies after never seeing any before this year, and how over it I am with all of the Star Wars side movies), but I'm having a tough time figuring out if it is good or not. I don't buy what critics say ever, and most of the reviews that hate it are simply stating that TLJ ruined Star Wars forever. Tough getting a lot of reviews on the actual movie itself (hence I will be wandering around here).

...we have typically agreed on things over the years...

I’m with you on critics...with the exception that the reviews of 8 you’re referring to are unfortunately right: they tanked the whole thing and it shows they never honestly got it.

Also, I’m done with the episodes (see above)...the side stories are all I got.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I pay as much attention to RT reviews as I do to the blatherings of mad men

Sometimes the mad men find clarity on the other side 😎

...to that point: metacritic has solo at a 63...Deadpool 2 is 65 and infinity war was 68.

That’s not terrible.

Black panther is an 88...sorry, it’s not that good. The bad guy wasn’t good enough for that kind of a score.

tribbleorlfl

Fun movie.

Best part: Han shot first.

Second best part: robot rebellion.

Worst part: He didn't seem as eager as he should have been to get his love interest to commit and stay, nor as sad as he should have been when she left.
Han taking down Beckett was probably my favorite fanservice moment. It clearly was meant as a wink-wink moment to the fans to acknowledge "yeah, we get you and your concerns." It's a shame, then, that so many online fanboys are going to miss out (if you take them at their word that they refuse to see it because of TLJ).

I could have done without the Maul cameo, tbh. I don't believe he was mentioned as being a massive crime syndicate leader when he popped back in Rebels, so it just didn't sit well with me from a continuity standpoint.

LSLS

...we have typically agreed on things over the years...

I’m with you on critics...with the exception that the reviews of 8 you’re referring to are unfortunately right: they tanked the whole thing and it shows they never honestly got it.

Also, I’m done with the episodes (see above)...the side stories are all I got.

No, people are giving Solo horrible ratings and only stating they are rating it horribly because TLJ was bad (without even seeing Solo it looks like). Basically bunch of people stating Solo was awful because TLJ ruined Star Wars, hence I can't use the negative reviews as much of a guidance. Nothing to do with my opinions on TLJ (for what it is worth, we do disagree on that slightly. I didn't think it was good, but didn't think it was as horrific as it was made out to be either).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, people are giving Solo horrible ratings and only stating they are rating it horribly because TLJ was bad (without even seeing Solo it looks like). Basically bunch of people stating Solo was awful because TLJ ruined Star Wars, hence I can't use the negative reviews as much of a guidance. Nothing to do with my opinions on TLJ (for what it is worth, we do disagree on that slightly. I didn't think it was good, but didn't think it was as horrific as it was made out to be either).

Ok...I gotcha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom