Solar power farm coming to Disney

Monorail_Red_77

Just got back from a day trip to the World on Saturday 10/24. Here's some pics from my drive-by of the solar farm area.

IMG_2485.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2489.JPG
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_2618.JPG
IMG_2620.JPG

Uncle Lupe

Lockheed Martin launched their 2.25 MW array in Oldsmar, Florida today. It's covering employee parking.

http://www.tbo.com/news/business/lo...st-private-solar-project-in-oldsmar-20151020/

Why didn't they take a picture during a full sun day?

Epcot needs some vertical wind turbines in the park along with this solar project and some real time data to showcase said power production. Put the future back in future world. Showcase the possibilities of human ingenuity, not because they are easy but because they are hard. Put things right, that once went wrong. One man (project) can make a difference.

Also, give Hollywood Studios some solar panel covered bus stops.

Bonus points today for knowing the 3 source pop culture mashup.

Disneyhead'71

Epcot needs some vertical wind turbines in the park along with this solar project and some real time data to showcase said power production. Put the future back in future world. Showcase the possibilities of human ingenuity, not because they are easy but because they are hard. Put things right, that once went wrong. One man (project) can make a difference.

FL isn't a great place for wind power. Too little and too much wind. Solar is FL's future. That and tidal turbines.

dstrawn9889

disney has really nothing to do with it... its' a Duke energy project on Disney land... so Disney gets the power at a discount(probably) and a lease payment for the land itself

Nubs70

Lockheed Martin launched their 2.25 MW array in Oldsmar, Florida today. It's covering employee parking.

http://www.tbo.com/news/business/lo...st-private-solar-project-in-oldsmar-20151020/
It would be nice to know the government subsidies involved in the project in order to get the true payback on the project.

This article puts the payback at 12.5 years. Other articles on the same project put payback out to over 19 years. Both estimates include $0/year operating costs.

WDW Monorail

I am all for having the parking lots covered with solar panels. It gives Disney its energy, reduces the heat island effect, and provides shade for cars.

Plus the whole obstacle aspect you mentioned is not that big of a deal because a lot of people park in garages (Disney Springs garage, Disneyland Resort garage) and those have plenty of obstacles/columns. Oh, and you can help power those electric cars parking in the new electric charging spots at AK.

Last week a contractor we work with proposed installing a solar array to provide power to a facility we built. He wanted to put the array adjacent to a small parking lot and a vehicle right of way. I very quickly denied his request and 2 other very experienced engineers I work with were in agreement with me and my reasoning.

I am certainly not alone in my thinking.

boufa

Unlike many here, I don't claim to be an expert at anything, much less solar power. My concern is cost benefit ratio. First, $0 annual operating cost is completely not true. There will be painting of the metal parts, the inevitable repairs to connections, and bad panels.

Next comes from the actual benefit that you derive from the solar panels. There are many studies that indicate things we think are good for the environment are actually bad. Electric cars, the pollution generated by the manufacture of the electricity and the massive pollution generated from the manufacure and disposal of the batteries makes them not as great as people would like to think. Paper plates vs washing dishes... Paper plates actually are better for the environment. The cost of the energy to clean the water, heat it, and run a dishwasher far exceeds the cost of the renewable wood for the paper plate.

This leads to my point... if you cover a parking lot with solar panels, 1, you have to have the expense of it being able to take a wind load from a hurricaine, the durability that it can take a hit from a car, the maintenance of all of those structures, plus.... you would have to light the underside of the panels, so that drivers can see... in many cases, for the entire day, not just at night. Would it even net out to be a positive, or would the costs and limited benefits out weigh the purpose of even bothering.

dstrawn9889

Unlike many here, I don't claim to be an expert at anything, much less solar power. My concern is cost benefit ratio. First, $0 annual operating cost is completely not true. There will be painting of the metal parts, the inevitable repairs to connections, and bad panels.

Next comes from the actual benefit that you derive from the solar panels. There are many studies that indicate things we think are good for the environment are actually bad. Electric cars, the pollution generated by the manufacture of the electricity and the massive pollution generated from the manufacure and disposal of the batteries makes them not as great as people would like to think. Paper plates vs washing dishes... Paper plates actually are better for the environment. The cost of the energy to clean the water, heat it, and run a dishwasher far exceeds the cost of the renewable wood for the paper plate.

This leads to my point... if you cover a parking lot with solar panels, 1, you have to have the expense of it being able to take a wind load from a hurricaine, the durability that it can take a hit from a car, the maintenance of all of those structures, plus.... you would have to light the underside of the panels, so that drivers can see... in many cases, for the entire day, not just at night. Would it even net out to be a positive, or would the costs and limited benefits out weigh the purpose of even bothering.
Well, the biggest reason that it is not over the parking areas is that it is not serviced or run by Disney. this is a Duke project, and will be serviced by Duke Energy. and i am sure that the insurance would be much less expensive when there are not 10's of millions of potential settlements sitting below that companies' infrastructure. (one bad bolt and a gust of wind... there went a totaled out Escalade.)

Figment2005

As an update to this project, sorry no pictures yet, the supports for the solar panels have almost been completely installed in the smaller clearing that borders World Drive and Epcot Center Drive. I will try and get pictures at some time, but I am not a fan of taking pictures while driving.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, Dec 31. Photo of the smaller area for the solar farm, from the Epcot monorail. This area is along the Epcot exit from World Drive. This smaller area has solar panels installed in over half the area now. The larger area is to the south of here with almost all supports installed.

IMG_7123.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom