SOFT OPENING WATCH - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster

ADP2

Can someone explain to me how you have a ride dedication and press event/grand opening and the attraction not officially open immediately after. Was there a delay? Just curious why we have to wait until May 28th for this attraction to officially open?

lunchbox1175

When we walked by on Thursday, we could smell some serious paint fumes. So my guess was there are still things they are putting the finishing touches on. I did notice a lot of CM's walking around with lanyards and big badges showing they were a 7DMT cast member.

GrumpyFan

Can someone explain to me how you have a ride dedication and press event/grand opening and the attraction not officially open immediately after. Was there a delay? Just curious why we have to wait until May 28th for this attraction to officially open?

The dedication and media event were just for the press and few select others. It was not an official opening.
They are completing testing, training and making final adjustments adjustments for safety. It all takes time.
Just because there were a few rides during the media event, doesn't mean it's ready for a full load of guests for a full day of service.

lazyboy97o

The dedication and media event were just for the press and few select others. It was not an official opening.
They are completing testing, training and making final adjustments adjustments for safety. It all takes time.
Just because there were a few rides during the media event, doesn't mean it's ready for a full load of guests for a full day of service.
Yes, it takes time to test and adjust but that doesn't make the event being a month before opening unusual.

GrumpyFan

It is certainly unusual. Perplexing even.
Perhaps a little unusual, but not if you understand how these things work.
The ride was near completion, and able to operate a single train at a time with riders, but not ready to operate in its full capacity due to adjustments and training that still need to be performed to get it to the point of being ready for a full day of operation in its maximum intended capacity.

Disney probably jumped the gun by having the media event when they did, but I think that's probably a marketing/upper management attempt to try and beat Universal of their big announcement, which to me just makes them sound a bit desperate.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I find it annoying when people who don't have a clue want to question the timing of opening an attraction and complain that it shouldn't take so long. These same people seem to like to complain at the airport when a plane is delayed due to a mechanical problem. Personally, I would rather be delayed prior to take off or opening for them to make sure it's in the proper working order and certifiably safe before I step foot on it. Sometimes this means it might take a little longer, but when it comes to safety, time and schedule shouldn't be part of the equation. It will be open when it's deemed safe and reliable and operating within the designed range of expectations, and personally, I'm okay with that, even if it means it won't be ready when I get there in 8 days.

Last edited:

twebber55

The ride was near completion, and able to operate a single train at a time with riders, but not ready to operate in its full capacity due to adjustments and training that still need to be performed to get it to the point of being ready for a full day of operation in its maximum intended capacity.
Disney probably jumped the gun by having the media event when they did, but I think that's probably a marketing/upper management attempt to try and beat Universal of their big announcement, which to me just makes them sound a bit desperate.
i get the impression when they decided on May 2 as their media day it would be fully operational....somebody goofed

lazyboy97o

We're not saying that a test and adjust period is unusual. I don't think anybody is.

GrumpyFan

i get the impression when they decided on May 2 as their media day it would be fully operational....somebody goofed
Marketing and/or upper management!
In all likelihood, somebody pressured them into giving a completion date, prior to the point where any actual and reliable testing had been done.
The Imagineer on the project, probably gave May 1/2 quite reluctantly, and in all likelihood even expressed a concern over it being ready.

For the record, I'm a systems engineer whose been in this position many times.

ADP2

Thanks for all your responses. Was just curious more than anything else. I'm not sure safety is playing into the date so much since they had members of the press ride the attraction this past weekend. I just find the timing odd and wondered if anyone knew what the reason was for having the dedication and press event so far in advance of the official opening.

GrumpyFan

Thanks for all your responses. Was just curious more than anything else. I'm not sure safety is playing into the date so much since they had members of the press ride the attraction this past weekend. I just find the timing odd and wondered if anyone knew what the reason was for having the dedication and press event so far in advance of the official opening.
Running a controlled single train once every 5 minutes for the media, versus multiple inside of the same time frame are a completely different scenario that plays heavily into safety, reliability and training. If everything isn't tested and certified and operators not properly trained, you could easily have trains colliding, which is a huge safety issue.

lazyboy97o

Running a controlled single train once every 5 minutes for the media, versus multiple inside of the same time frame are a completely different scenario that plays heavily into safety, reliability and training. If everything isn't tested and certified and operators not properly trained, you could easily have trains colliding, which is a huge safety issue.
Trains being able to run into each other would be a serious flaw in the ride control system.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Test Track could have been open two years earlier if they only ran one car at a time. :)

GrumpyFan

Trains being able to run into each other would be a serious flaw in the ride control system.
It certainly would, that's why they do extensive testing with one train, then two, then three, etc. under multiple conditions to verify that the ride control system works as it's supposed to and knows where all trains are at all times and keeps them safely apart. Then they train the operators how to properly and efficiently operate it with multiple trains running.

tl77

The Press Preview/Media Day is basically just free advertising for them, the local new ABC news station in Philadelphia PA (were I live) did a quick story on it, it's a way for them to get the word out the general public

As far as the timing goes, I don't know it's really any different than running ads for a movie a month before the movie's opening date, but it seems a little odd that they set the date for the Wednesday after Memorial Day weekend. If they were really super confident about it's capacity and safety you'd think they would want it open before Memorial Day weekend

Last edited:

mp2bill

OK... Did that Cast Member phone a bus driver? Seriously, thanks for sharing, but that person has no idea.
Yes, he called WDW and specifically asked to speak to a bus driver so that he could get the least reliable information possible.:cautious:

In all fairness, it's not that implausible that a cast member who has worked there for a long time might know these things if that's how they've done it in the past. That being said...I don't know how much stock I'd put in her answer either.

GrumpyFan

The Press Preview/Media Day is basically just free advertising for them, the local new ABC news station in Philadelphia PA (were I live) did a quick story on it, it's a way for them to get the word out the general public

As far as the timing goes, I don't know it's really any different than running ads for a movie a month before the movie's opening date, but it seems a little odd that they set the date for the Wednesday after Memorial Day weekend. If they were really super confident about it's capacity and safety you'd think they would want it open before Memorial Day weekend

It's actually a little bit different. With theme park attractions and the competition that exists now in Orlando, it's important to get the word out early for those vacation planners who are typically looking at booking this month for their summer vacation. It's in Disney's best interest to get the word out as soon as possible in order to generate excitement and hopefully get the booking (money). It's also a big deal considering Universal is about to have a big press blowout for their new attractions too, so the first to strike might be the winner here. Especially when you consider the vast majority of people who aren't addicted like us, don't really have a clue what else is going in Orlando.

BTW: If they didn't care about about safety and capacity, it would be open before Memorial day.

orky8

Yes, he called WDW and specifically asked to speak to a bus driver so that he could get the least reliable information possible.:cautious:

In all fairness, it's not that implausible that a cast member who has worked there for a long time might know these things if that's how they've done it in the past. That being said...I don't know how much stock I'd put in her answer either.

Actually, it less than implausible -- it's dang-near impossible. There is no chance that the CM that answers the phone at Disney's 800-number (actually, 407, but whatevs), has any knowledge as to whether the ride will be open for soft openings. True, like us on here, they could speculate, but they don't know anything more than what is posted here. So, they won't know these things at all. There is no "official" information for soft openings, anyway -- that is what makes them soft openings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom