SOFT OPENING WATCH - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Required envelope testing??? Bad move, Disney!
How so....this is standard procedure.

Look familiar?
Expedition-Everest_Full_2374.jpg

Sevier

That was the quote from a previous poster in this thread used this contraption to determine Disney hadn't met basic clearance requirements for the ride. Needless to say, it was baseless cynicism and blind Disney bashing. Not very surprising, but comical nonetheless.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
That was the quote from a previous poster in this thread used this contraption to determine Disney hadn't met basic clearance requirements for the ride. Needless to say, it was baseless cynicism and blind Disney bashing. Not very surprising, but comical nonetheless.
Slightly off topic, but my 5' 10" brother INSISTS that when riding Space Mountain, his hand touched part of the wooden framing. More than once.

I say - no way!

What say you?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Could he have touched anything, though?

Would you not be severely injured if you whacked your arm hurtling at 30+ mph? At the very least, you should be black and blue.
I'm not sure as I have always ducked and covered on Space for fear of being decapitated!

It sure LOOKS like I could touch the beams, but I have always to too chicken to stick my arms up or out.

lazyboy97o

Look familiar?
Expedition-Everest_Full_2374.jpg

Look at the state of construction. There are older photos of the ride envelope being checked on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. The reappearance is not usual, especially after some members of the public (the commercial extras) have ridden.

Last edited:

Sevier

This definitely isn't checking for swinging and if heads have an issue, this lift hill will be without swining. That system on the car is checking for arms, and how far arms can reach... as you can see... people can touch the rock... bad move Disney.

Yeah such a bad move. :rolleyes:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Based on everything posted here it makes sense that this would be a final check. I don't think it necessarily means there was a problem, but we saw recently that they moved some railings and part of the rock work so they are likely required to re-do this testing. I assume the ride hasn't been turned over to ops yet. Anyone know how long after that transition it typically takes before a ride opens?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The device is to verify that there are no clearance problems, and based on the pictures of the railings being moved a couple weeks ago it appears that some clearance problems were discovered after construction. No matter how carefully a ride like this is deigned you can't be sure there are no clearance issues until you do the testing. The problem with Dumbo proved this.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Please have the nads to tag me if you feel the need to call me out. RVs have collided with rock-work. It has delayed the opening. As to "standard envelope testing" anyone who has been around park construction is fully aware that it occurs during construction and not post B-roll shooting. Major tolerance errors were made and there is a mad scramble to correct it. As @marni1971 said this is not foreign to modern day WDI.

Please come back with you have more knowledge and info. I guess the uber defense many are showing here just shows how starved people are for something new at WDW.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Not bashing, simply opining on the information at hand. But keep going; your posts too have great levels of comedy, even if unintentionally....

GrumpyFan

The difference is the EE pic is clearly in the construction phase. 7DMT is in the test and adjust phase. Which is pretty late in the game for clearance tests.
Envelope/ride profile testing can and does occur throughout development of a coaster. Just because they're testing it now doesn't mean it's the first time. If I had to guess, I would say they've made some adjustments, or maybe this is a new train or one they've tweaked and they're verifying everything is still within the safe window of operation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom