SOFT OPENING WATCH - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster

Cesar R M

No I wouldn't assume that. I think it is likely, but there have been cases in the past where soft opens have stopped for a day or so before the official open for some final tweaks.
I wonder if they really took into consideration all the abuse of the 24 hour event.
I'm pretty sure they had a lot of suggestions, comments, CM talk..etc..

Cesar R M

*gasp* How dare them close it! The entitled are going to be so mad.
INDEED, I WILL SHOW MY ENTITLEMENT BY SLAPPING THE NEAREST CM IN THE FACE WITH MY PRICED ENTRANCE TICKET!! (lol)

cuz the exit queue wasn't completed is what I was told Monday afternoon when I came out of BOG
So, back the they had to unload the CMS in the same loading line?

Noticing lots of issues with groups unable to decide who rides with who after they get to load. The confusion is slowing boarding and forcing trains to dispatch with many empty seats.

Tip: ONLY 2 per row, no exceptions so decide who is with who before you get to load and no last minute changes to keep things moving. The way seats are designed you cannot squeeze a little one in between.

Also, posted 90 minute standby line is actually only 60. At merge now.

I swear you should work as an "online correspondent" with your own TV crew as you report the status of the attractions at Disney.

Imagine a weather.com type website where randomly alerts are poping up. "ATTRACTION ALERT" specials with video are displayed.. to show when something is having problems, or if there is a refurb.. issues..etc.. XD

cw1982

The others got it on how the Mine Train system works. It's a way to handle odd-numbered groups without needing the space to run a dedicated Single Rider queue.

The problem with what I experienced at RnRC was that rather than grouping a party of 3 and filling them in with a Single Rider (which is how Single Rider works at all of the attractions that have it), the grouper was then asking the size of the next party in the main queue. If it was odd-numbered, they'd have the odd person out fill in the available seat with the party before. Sometimes if the next group was a small even-numbered group she'd even stick them at the back of the train to get them out of the way, hoping that the group behind *them* were an odd-number.

It was very odd, almost like she didn't want to use the Single Rider unless absolutely necessary. In fact, I think I recall seeing people who'd gotten in the Standby queue the same time we entered the Singles queue actually *pass* us near the boarding platform and ride before we did.

-Rob

Got it. Thanks for clarifying! :)

Cesar R M

Well, part of that is simply being a new ride, so people don't really know what to expect in terms of the seat configuration. As more people have experience with the ride, it will be less of an issue (and the CMs will also be better aware and able to quickly deal with it).

they could always put a small banner with the seat configuration in the waiting line..

cw1982

they could always put a small banner with the seat configuration in the waiting line..

This.

Plus, it's not like people don't see the ride in action as it runs. They may not get a good look at the exact structure of the seats, but they should know enough to be able to tell that two people ride in each row. This hardly seems like something that should really be holding up the line.

Last edited:

Rob562

This.

Plus, it's not like people don't see the ride in action as it runs. They may not get a good look at the exact structure of the seats, but they should know enough to be able to tell that two people ride in each row. This hardly seems like something that should really be holding up the line.

After reading stories from CM's about Guests wanting to do stupid things like ride sitting on the *front edge* of a car on RnRC, I don't put anything past a Guest messing up something that should be simple and understandable...

-Rob

cw1982

After reading stories from CM's about Guests wanting to do stupid things like ride sitting on the *front edge* of a car on RnRC, I don't put anything past a Guest messing up something that should be simple and understandable...

-Rob

Oh absolutely. I wasn't disputing the validity of the claim that guests were slowing down the process by getting confused over something so logical. I should have been more clear. It doesn't surprise me at all that guests would act like that. My comment was more of a generalized statement about how something like that SHOULD not be happening, but we all know that what should be is often not reality. :banghead:

Mike730

If three groups of three people walk in, you have 9 people. Still an odd number
You pull the two groups of 3 and fill 3 rows of two.
Exactly. You're looking to make an even number so you wouldn't group those together. You would make 6 with the first two groups, then add a group of 1, 3, 5, or 7 to the last group of 3 to make another even number.

STILL WONDERING WHY IT MAKES MORE SENSE?

HERE'S A VERY THOROUGH EXPLANATION

1)A single rider line can be an inefficient use of line space. Sometimes you'll have dozens and sometimes you'll have none. Odd and Even doesn't have this problem, especially if it splits near the end of the line. There will always be odd and even groups.

2)Whether you're actually a single rider, or a group that just doesn't care if they're together, those riders always make it to the ride quicker than the group line or will wind up waiting forever to get on because they're not needed. If a single rider walks in right behind you, he/she will end up 'cutting' you in line up ahead and making your wait longer or will wait longer than you because he/she isn't needed to fill in a space yet. With Odd and Even, the number of people in an odd group line vs the number of people in an even group line is likely going to be similar so people walking in behind you will probably get on the ride in around the same time as you. There wont be 20 single riders cutting you in line, maybe just two groups of 3 from the other line instead. In other words, the single rider line can add the Fastpass syndrome, making the standby wait longer. Odd and Even lines give similar wait times for everyone.

3)Single riders are useful in an attraction like Test track(6 persons per car) where, unless you get two groups of three, EVERY odd group will need to be filled in with single riders. Even a group of 4 adds up to 6 with single riders easier if a two person group isn't available. With the mine train you have a full train of riders, a high capacity ride vehicle leaving the boarding area much less often than a ride like test track. But, you still only need a single rider for that awkward open space when the groups don't add to the right number, something that happens only once per ride vehicle. With ride vehicles leaving less often, single riders aren't in high demand. They can be pulled from the odd line, or the extra time can be used to find groups that add up properly.
You can see how in the case of low capacity ride vehicles (Test Track), the single rider line can move very fast while in the case of a high capacity ride vehicles (Rock n' Roller Coaster) the single rider line might never move.

4) Odd and Even eliminates the need to leave that awkward odd number of seats to be filled. Say you first take 4 groups for every train, two from odd line and two from even line, to be fair. Perhaps this gives you 12, 14, or 16 people... then all you have to do is fill the EVEN number of seats, which is obviously easy to do with even groups and also easy to do with two or four odd groups. You can choose to fill the space from EITHER line, unlike with a single rider approach where you fill the train in with a bunch of single riders or with a perfectly numbered group thats 10 people away in line (and will take eons to make it up to the front with their full party or will lose one of their people or will get nasty comments and/or looks from all those people they're cutting in front of...)

Next Big Thing

You guys can continue to argue about why/why not this ride should have a single rider line. The simple fact is, this ride is going to draw mostly families. If you looks at the rides Disney offers single rider at, it's more of "thrill" type attractions with higher height requirements. Single rider simply isn't needed for this attraction based on how Disney has been utilizing it. And to be honest, there isn't the queue space for single riders, which moves on to my next point...

Why in the world did they seemingly under build the queue line so much? During the 24 hour event, I waited 90 mins from 1:30-3am. About 10-15 mins were spent wrapped around the mountain, meaning the actual queue was able to hold about 75-80 mins worth of queue. That wait time though is without the addition of FP+ into the mix. So once that gets going, lines seemingly will consistently be wrapping around the mountain.

It just seems like more queue space needs to be built somehow. It looks very ugly and unorganized with the huge line that forms and wraps all the way around to the Mermaid queue at times.

Vegas Disney Fan

I was looking at Google Earth tonight and they recently updated the Shanghai Disney area, since I've been keeping a close eye on this thread I thought it was interesting that you can clearly see their 7DMT construction, looks to be the same layout as WDW's.

Attachments

• Shanghai 7d.jpg
    Shanghai 7d.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 144

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You guys can continue to argue about why/why not this ride should have a single rider line. The simple fact is, this ride is going to draw mostly families. If you looks at the rides Disney offers single rider at, it's more of "thrill" type attractions with higher height requirements. Single rider simply isn't needed for this attraction based on how Disney has been utilizing it. And to be honest, there isn't the queue space for single riders, which moves on to my next point...

Why in the world did they seemingly under build the queue line so much? During the 24 hour event, I waited 90 mins from 1:30-3am. About 10-15 mins were spent wrapped around the mountain, meaning the actual queue was able to hold about 75-80 mins worth of queue. That wait time though is without the addition of FP+ into the mix. So once that gets going, lines seemingly will consistently be wrapping around the mountain.

It just seems like more queue space needs to be built somehow. It looks very ugly and unorganized with the huge line that forms and wraps all the way around to the Mermaid queue at times.

Just a guess, but maybe they are anticipating maximum waits around 75 to 80 mins on all but the most crowded days (Christmas, Spring Break, 4th of July). I think in another thread someone (@danlb_2000 maybe?) figured out that the hourly capacity should be around 1,400 riders. Compare this to Peter Pan which is around 1,100 riders per hour. On all but the max crowd days Pan's wait rarely exceeds 80 mins and is usually at or below an hour. Since Mine Train has higher capacity it's likely that the average wait (even with FP+) will rarely exceed 80 mins. Of course that doesn't apply to the grand opening and the 24 hour event when there were many more people riding since it was brand new. Once the newness wears off it should settle in and the queue should hold the crowds.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Based on what I personally experienced yesterday, it seems that when FastPass is running, the standby queue is capable of holding 90-120 minutes of standby guests inside the formal line after the entrance marquee.

After it re-opened yesterday afternoon and the lines re-loaded, the SB line was posted at 90 minutes when I stepped into it. At that point, better than half of the fully outside portion (before you go under the mine entrance roofs) of the queue was empty and my actual wait time was only 60 minutes.

At the same time, I did observe some sort of problem with the FastPass line that wasn't exactly clear, but it was backed up for quite some time outside of the first eligibility checkpoint causing a line the wrapped across the front of the mountain to the left. Since that is also the location of the exit, it was creating a bit of a shuffle with guests cutting through the FP+ line as they got off. It was unclear what the problem was but something was slowing up the validation process. It's the first time they've used FP+ on this attraction so I'm sure they'll sort out whatever was wrong in the coming days. This is why they call them 'dress rehearsals' after all.

doctornick

This.

Well, to be fair, just because a ride is "two riders per row" as a standard doesn't mean that it is only able to do that. Both BTMRR and Splash are "two per row" but I have seen three people in a row, especially with a small young child being among them -- it's not that unreasonable for guests to think they could do the same thing on 7DMT.

cw1982

Well, to be fair, just because a ride is "two riders per row" as a standard doesn't mean that it is only able to do that. Both BTMRR and Splash are "two per row" but I have seen three people in a row, especially with a small young child being among them -- it's not that unreasonable for guests to think they could do the same thing on 7DMT.

I suppose not. I guess I just don't understand why it should be that big of an issue lol. In all fairness, though, I don't have kids of my own yet, so I'm pretty positive I'll be eating my own words on the issue (not necessarily for this ride, but just in general) in a few years ;)

Kman101

I think the queue is fairly extensive. It's called overflow. It happens.

FP is not necessary for most of the rides at all. Especially this one.

It's called a family coaster but there's going to be a lot of kids IMO who don't like the drop who don't like the lift and who don't like the swinging and how fast it actually goes. As I said, IMO, people call it a family/kid coaster but it walks a very fine line. It's not this big thrill ride but it's hardly the Barnstormer, which IS a kiddie coaster IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom