SOFT OPENING WATCH - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Exactly. You're looking to make an even number so you wouldn't group those together. You would make 6 with the first two groups, then add a group of 1, 3, 5, or 7 to the last group of 3 to make another even number.

STILL WONDERING WHY IT MAKES MORE SENSE?

HERE'S A VERY THOROUGH EXPLANATION

1)A single rider line can be an inefficient use of line space. Sometimes you'll have dozens and sometimes you'll have none. Odd and Even doesn't have this problem, especially if it splits near the end of the line. There will always be odd and even groups.

2)Whether you're actually a single rider, or a group that just doesn't care if they're together, those riders always make it to the ride quicker than the group line or will wind up waiting forever to get on because they're not needed. If a single rider walks in right behind you, he/she will end up 'cutting' you in line up ahead and making your wait longer or will wait longer than you because he/she isn't needed to fill in a space yet. With Odd and Even, the number of people in an odd group line vs the number of people in an even group line is likely going to be similar so people walking in behind you will probably get on the ride in around the same time as you. There wont be 20 single riders cutting you in line, maybe just two groups of 3 from the other line instead. In other words, the single rider line can add the Fastpass syndrome, making the standby wait longer. Odd and Even lines give similar wait times for everyone.

3)Single riders are useful in an attraction like Test track(6 persons per car) where, unless you get two groups of three, EVERY odd group will need to be filled in with single riders. Even a group of 4 adds up to 6 with single riders easier if a two person group isn't available. With the mine train you have a full train of riders, a high capacity ride vehicle leaving the boarding area much less often than a ride like test track. But, you still only need a single rider for that awkward open space when the groups don't add to the right number, something that happens only once per ride vehicle. With ride vehicles leaving less often, single riders aren't in high demand. They can be pulled from the odd line, or the extra time can be used to find groups that add up properly.
You can see how in the case of low capacity ride vehicles (Test Track), the single rider line can move very fast while in the case of a high capacity ride vehicles (Rock n' Roller Coaster) the single rider line might never move.

4) Odd and Even eliminates the need to leave that awkward odd number of seats to be filled. Say you first take 4 groups for every train, two from odd line and two from even line, to be fair. Perhaps this gives you 12, 14, or 16 people... then all you have to do is fill the EVEN number of seats, which is obviously easy to do with even groups and also easy to do with two or four odd groups. You can choose to fill the space from EITHER line, unlike with a single rider approach where you fill the train in with a bunch of single riders or with a perfectly numbered group thats 10 people away in line (and will take eons to make it up to the front with their full party or will lose one of their people or will get nasty comments and/or looks from all those people they're cutting in front of...)
Thanks for the breakdown. Math is fun!

Rob562

It is impossible to do 3 per row as there are individual seats with individual lap bars

I don't think the previous poster was arguing that fact. I think they were more saying that a source of confusion for Guests might be other family-friendly rides in the park that *can* seat 3 per row (BTMRR and Splash) could possibly lead some Guests to thinking that it can be done on the Mine Train, too.

-Rob

Vegas Disney Fan

2)Whether you're actually a single rider, or a group that just doesn't care if they're together, those riders always make it to the ride quicker than the group line or will wind up waiting forever to get on because they're not needed. If a single rider walks in right behind you, he/she will end up 'cutting' you in line up ahead and making your wait longer or will wait longer than you because he/she isn't needed to fill in a space yet. With Odd and Even, the number of people in an odd group line vs the number of people in an even group line is likely going to be similar so people walking in behind you will probably get on the ride in around the same time as you. There wont be 20 single riders cutting you in line, maybe just two groups of 3 from the other line instead. In other words, the single rider line can add the Fastpass syndrome, making the standby wait longer. Odd and Even lines give similar wait times for everyone.

I agree with 90% of what you said but think point 2 is partially incorrect. The single rider line can't add any time to the standby line because it's only used to fill seats that would otherwise be empty. The single rider line should actually speed up the standby line because rather than waiting in the standby line and then taking up a row that could have been used by the next people in the standby line the singles are filling otherwise empty seats and then out of standby's way. In theory every single rider that fills an empty seat = 2 less people in the standby line (because the singles aren't taking a whole row that could seat 2).

Even though I often go solo and love using the single rider lines I think the 7DMT odd/even line is a better way of accomplishing the same thing, not only does it take out the illusion of "cutting" but the real benefit is occasionally the single rider line won't have anyone in it so seats go empty, single rider is a good way to increase efficiency but the odd/even system should be even better and offer even higher efficiency.

Last edited:

Mike Nolan

Well... now that my lady and I have ridden the ride this morning, I would like to thank you all for entertaining me these last few months. Granted, most if it was rampant inaccurate speculation, with unnecessary digressions, but it gave me something to look forward to. Thanks everyone!

Kman101

I was a single rider each time I went on and was usually told to follow a group of three and they had no problem finding a spot for me. I don't think it needs a single rider line.

Mike730

I agree with 90% of what you said but think point 2 is partially incorrect. The single rider line can't add any time to the standby line because it's only used to fill seats that would otherwise be empty. The single rider line should actually speed up the standby line because rather than waiting in the standby line and then taking up a row that could have been used by the next people in the standby line the singles are filling otherwise empty seats and then out of standby's way. In theory every single rider that fills an empty seat = 2 less people in the standby line (because the singles aren't taking a whole row that could seat 2).

Even though I often go solo and love using the single rider lines I think the 7DMT odd/even line is a better way of accomplishing the same thing, not only does it take out the illusion of "cutting" but the real benefit is occasionally the single rider line won't have anyone in it so seats go empty, single rider is a good way to increase efficiency but the odd/even system should be even better and offer even higher efficiency.

You're right. It's better than just one line when it is only used to fill unused seats, but I think thats rarely the case.

DisneyCane

It was right around 9:30 AM. I changed an existing fastpass for BTMRR to 7DMT. It originally gave me 2:10 PM and I changed the time to 10:05 AM.

They can also be booked as an additional FP+. I used all 3 of mine by 10:45 AM and booked another 7DMT for 4:15 PM today.

I just wanted to thank you for posting this yesterday. This morning I kept checking the app and shortly after 8AM it let me change my Splash Mountain FP over to a 9:05-10:05 AM FP for SDMT. There were maybe 6 people ahead of us in the FP line so we pretty much walked right on. Thanks for this info!!!

Lokheed

I went on the ride this evening, and I have to say I was disappointed that the ride isn't even officially open yet and one of the spinning barrels is not working properly. You can never get Snow White to appear, because no matter how much you spin one specific barrel the ceiling projection never changes to a dwarf. Also, at the gem sorting station the touch screen was not responding at all for one of the video screens. If you tried to touch a gem it just kind of wobbled a little bit but you couldn't drag it.

The ride itself was great, the animatronics in the show scene are amazing, it's just disappointing to see things already breaking down after less than a week of regular use.

Cesar R M

I went on the ride this evening, and I have to say I was disappointed that the ride isn't even officially open yet and one of the spinning barrels is not working properly. You can never get Snow White to appear, because no matter how much you spin one specific barrel the ceiling projection never changes to a dwarf. Also, at the gem sorting station the touch screen was not responding at all for one of the video screens. If you tried to touch a gem it just kind of wobbled a little bit but you couldn't drag it.

The ride itself was great, the animatronics in the show scene are amazing, it's just disappointing to see things already breaking down after less than a week of regular use.
they could be breaking due of abuse and not exactly of normal operations..
remember some kids and even adults can hit things, use things improperly or with too much force.

like when you see this dumb man forcing his way trying to open a door by pushing it the front with all his strenght..and the door only opened in the other way.

Kman101

Practically EVERYONE (young and old) was spinning that barrel thing. Not surprised one got stuck or doesn't move. And I noticed one of the screens for the jewel sorting game was black during my second go around but it was back on the other two times I went through.

croboy82

So the winner is @croboy82. You prize is that you get to ride the mine train on your next visit to MK (travel expenses, park tickets, food and lodging not included.)

Soft opening (unofficial opening to guests) Guess List:

DaveStuart - December 5th, 2013
Pixiedustmaker - December 20th, 2013
hockeyfran - January 15th, 2014
The Empress Lilly - February 4th, 2014
Rose&Crowner - Feburary 7th, 2014
jdmdisney99 - February 13th, 2014
G8rchamps - February 15th, 2014
Tom - March 1st, 2014
danlb_2000 - March 3rd, 2014
KLeight - March 7th, 2014
MOXOMUMD - March 17th, 2014
Goofgoof - March 20th, 2014
JLipnick - March 27th, 2014
Scuttle - March 30th, 2014
Much-Pixie-Dust - April 4th, 2014
RandomPrincess - April 7th, 2014
Jose - April 12th, 2014
Goofy6294 - April 15th, 2014
ShookieJones - May 2nd, 2014
croboy82 - May 20th, 2014
pcaudill - June 1st, 2014
Daannzzz - October 15th, 2014

Late to the party but HA! And I thought I was quite the pessimist when guessing......:D

For those interested, my family scored 4 fastpasses for 8:05 tonight. Official opening is tomorrow of course. I was told at a kiosk that availability may come and go and if available, would be so at kiosks and apps and to just keep trying. She also told me the ride had already halted twice today and fastpasses would be limited to maybe 20 per hour if at all. We kept trying on the phone sporadically for an hour or so. It kept saying there was a problem processing it. Then when going to try one more time, we realized we already had it. Nice surprise. Now we will see if actually get on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom