Soft drinks and other beverages increase in price across Walt Disney World quick service restaurants

Goofyernmost

Oh my god, I can't believe I just read a six page thread about soft drinks. :banghead:
Why would that be hard to believe when it's a thread about the increased cost of soft drinks? Should we be discussing NASCAR? Or, is it more of a situation where you don't understand why you read all the pages? In that case you should ask yourself why! :confused::joyfull:

DisneyCane

I would usually buy two or three per day. At a price point over $3 for a large, I'll probably stick to the free water. I simply don't understand how a decent profit two or three times a day is not good enough compared to the now zero profit they will get from me. I suppose there will always be enough people to pay more to make up for those who don't.

I once did a price study for a small movie theatre chain. Selling more doesn't always mean more profit. You have to take into account the labor costs to sell them. My study considered halving the price of concession items. The conclusion was that they would have to sell 3x as much to make the same total profit. It is entirely possible that this 5% increase will reduce sales by 10% but Disney still makes more profit.

tare

Kind of a shame. I always felt that $2.99 for a large was actually a fair price considering we're in a theme park. I suppose .20 isn't a big deal though...how about using that extra .20 to print park specific cups and napkins?
I am for the napkins!!!!!

Communicore

Yes, the Reds let you bring in a soft sided cooler with food or drinks (non-alcoholic) to games. Its a nice touch. I don't know why this is a big surprise. This is the case everywhere. Movies, restaurants, the zoo, any sporting event and every other amusement park in the country have jacked up soda prices. At least Disney lets you bring in your own stuff unlike most of the other places. Seems like an easy one to avoid though. Don't buy the pop, no one needs soda pop.
I had to sneak in a Subway Sub and it was in my crotch area, and I walked funny too just so I can bring in food at a Rays game.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Please don't tell us it was a meatball sub.
yelrotflmao.gif

DisneyCane

Nope. Coke pays more. That's all there is too it. At a corporate level Coke will pay cash to get their products in your location. Pepsi tends to offer perks in terms of events and marketing. Some places would rather have the cash, others prefer the other stuff Pepsi offers.

What? I guess I missed something. I was heavily involved in setting up concession stands for a small movie theatre chain. The choice to go with Coke was due to their superior field service in the area based on talking to a lot of people. The prices aren't that different for the syrup. Coke gives rebates for certain volumes of purchases but it's just another way of giving a volume discount. They don't pay to have the product sold. Both companies give the equipment for free (not sure if the freestyle machines are free) as long as you agree to exclusively sell their products.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What? I guess I missed something. I was heavily involved in setting up concession stands for a small movie theatre chain. The choice to go with Coke was due to their superior field service in the area based on talking to a lot of people. The prices aren't that different for the syrup. Coke gives rebates for certain volumes of purchases but it's just another way of giving a volume discount. They don't pay to have the product sold. Both companies give the equipment for free (not sure if the freestyle machines are free) as long as you agree to exclusively sell their products.
http://www.motherjones.com/tom-phil...mit-campus-junk-food-have-lower-obesity-rates
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/08/06/b...vals-off-the-shelf.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

jkl2000

Wow. That's a whole (estimated) $36 extra dollars..... TOTAL, during our trips for the four of us getting 5 soft drinks per day on a 9 day trip. o_O What ever shall I do? I do not believe I can afford to go now. :rolleyes:

And 5 soft drinks per day per person is a lot!

G00fyDad

And 5 soft drinks per day per person is a lot!

Keep reading the posts. It was a highball estimate. I'd be lucky to drink one. However many people drink one with lunch, one for dinner, another between the two while walking around all day, etc...

flynnibus

Premium Member

Because you were a small theatre chain :) which product being sold at major venues is about sponsorship dollars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom