Soft drinks and other beverages increase in price across Walt Disney World quick service restaurants

Occasional Guest

The rationally thinking side of me says, "the 20 cents doesn't matter." It's the irrational side of me that says "another freaking increase?" Unfortunately, it is the irrational side that pushes for the Disney vacation so if they annoy that side enough, we aren't going. That's how a 20 cent increase costs disney my $2800.

Disvillain63

Still better than going to a professional sporting event and somehow paying $8 for a soda.
We paid $4.50 for a soda and $12 for a pina colada, plus $15 per steak sandwich w/homemade chips (it was the best steak sandwich and chips we'd had in a looong time)...just this past weekend. I'm sure if we had looked there may have been less expensive food, but it was close to our seats.

DrewmanS

I would usually buy two or three per day. At a price point over $3 for a large, I'll probably stick to the free water. I simply don't understand how a decent profit two or three times a day is not good enough compared to the now zero profit they will get from me. I suppose there will always be enough people to pay more to make up for those who don't.

Because the vast majority of people would not use your logic. A 6 percent increase in price would not result in a 100% decrease in sales volume. I am sure they have done many studies on price sensitivity to determine how the increase will effect demand. Even if sales drop 5%, their net income goes up. My guess is their drink sales are much more sensitive to change in air temperature than price.

You also have to consider the cost of the drink not only includes the syrup, water, ice, and cup, it also has to cover the cost of the soda machine, ice maker, electricity, trash, and portion of the salary of the servers, managers, custodians, etc. plus their expected profit margin. What goes in the cup is the cheapest part of the equation. Even if the cost of soda does not go up, the rest of their costs do. So Disney probably does not profit as much from drink prices as one might think. That said, considering they have a captive customer base, they don't charge nearly as much as stadiums, movie theaters, etc.

Disvillain63

But I am not spending 6 days at a sporting event...
I don't spend 6 days at a sporting event either, but that's by choice. There are many people who have season tickets to sporting events that never go to Disney. I know that I'll bring my own drinks (always do) to Disney and get water when I can.

Lucky

But I am not spending 6 days at a sporting event...
Because the vast majority of people would not use your logic. A 6 percent increase in price would not result in a 100% decrease in sales volume. I am sure they have done many studies on price sensitivity to determine how the increase will effect demand. Even if sales drop 5%, their net income goes up. My guess is their drink sales are much more sensitive to change in air temperature than price.

You also have to consider the cost of the drink not only includes the syrup, water, ice, and cup, it also has to cover the cost of the soda machine, ice maker, electricity, trash, and portion of the salary of the servers, managers, custodians, etc. plus their expected profit margin. What goes in the cup is the cheapest part of the equation. Even if the cost of soda does not go up, the rest of their costs do. So Disney probably does not profit as much from drink prices as one might think. That said, considering they have a captive customer base, they don't charge nearly as much as stadiums, movie theaters, etc.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I don't think the costs of providing a guest with a soda - even taking labor and other costs into account - has much to do with the price increase. WDW has been increasing prices across the board in recent years by a lot more than inflation. I'm not sure why, but I suspect there's been a change in corporate philosophy about the parks. They were charging a lot less than the market would bear for many years to build a loyal customer base, and the current execs have decided to make themselves look like geniuses by cashing in on it.

lnsemsf

I drink my soda out of the $.99 refillable cups at Universal and Sea World. Disney world is strictly free ice water. I don't need soda at those prices, but I'll gladly pay $1 to Universal / Sea World when or if I end up over there during a theme park day. Charge me a reasonable price and you'll get my business. Over charge and you'll get nothing.

Last edited:

jeff59rt

At least they post the prices, I hate that every restaurant we goto they don't have any prices on the drinks in the menu. Drinks seem to be the one item places think they can make the most profit on and just keep raising prices. Parks also seem to have less and less water fountains these days ever since bottled water came in to play. Sure 3-4:50 seems fair for water. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom