Soarin' Over Cali returns to DCA...why not us??

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
Unlikely. Whoever pushed to have the Soarin' re shot from a global perspective most likely did so based on spreading the allocated costs across all the parks showing it, if they were to can it from California it would make the person that had pushed for it to look like they failed. You don't build a new plane so you can leave it on the ground and go back to flying in the old plane it would make everyone ask why you bothered to build the new plane. I suspect them bringing it back for a limited run is just a marketing tactic to try and get more locals back to the park.

It wouldn't really make sense to bring it back to EPCOT even if it was only on of the screens. If you did it then you would have all sorts of chaos, suppose you allow guests to pick which line they stand in, you've now got to re work your queues because they are now designed for one attraction not two, or you just make it random like Star Tours where you don't know which version you are going to get in which case the guest that was expecting the world will be disappointed and complain... I just can't see them doing both.
I'll give you one example...NEW COKE...I'm not asking them to stop showing the world version, I'm asking why they can't keep the Cali (better, IMHO) version in one and the world version in the 2 others...I would like to see the attendance numbers in the two versions after this "experiment" is completed in DCA...I'm going to venture a guess that attendance will be up...and I would venture a guess that the same would happen in Orlando

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
Unlikely. Whoever pushed to have the Soarin' re shot from a global perspective most likely did so based on spreading the allocated costs across all the parks showing it, if they were to can it from California it would make the person that had pushed for it to look like they failed. You don't build a new plane so you can leave it on the ground and go back to flying in the old plane it would make everyone ask why you bothered to build the new plane. I suspect them bringing it back for a limited run is just a marketing tactic to try and get more locals back to the park.

It wouldn't really make sense to bring it back to EPCOT even if it was only on of the screens. If you did it then you would have all sorts of chaos, suppose you allow guests to pick which line they stand in, you've now got to re work your queues because they are now designed for one attraction not two, or you just make it random like Star Tours where you don't know which version you are going to get in which case the guest that was expecting the world will be disappointed and complain... I just can't see them doing both.
Last time I checked, there were two different versions of Mission Space...chaos? I don't think so...

yedliW

Then I'm sure the California version, which most people prefer, would have the longer lines and they would have to admit the newer version falls short in guest preference, enjoyment and popularity. I would stand in line for the old version before i would the world version.

Don't give people a choice.. make it like the gangster shootout vs the cowboy scene on the GMR.. you get what you get, and if you're lucky you'll get the other..

thomas998

I'll give you one example...NEW COKE...I'm not asking them to stop showing the world version, I'm asking why they can't keep the Cali (better, IMHO) version in one and the world version in the 2 others...I would like to see the attendance numbers in the two versions after this "experiment" is completed in DCA...I'm going to venture a guess that attendance will be up...and I would venture a guess that the same would happen in Orlando
Given the crowds at WDW I'm not sure they need to boost attendance. DL is a different beast that will often run special things because they are more focused on getting the local traffic... which I think is one of the reason you get the Halloween overlays at DL but have never had them at MK.

thomas998

Then I'm sure the California version, which most people prefer, would have the longer lines and they would have to admit the newer version falls short in guest preference, enjoyment and popularity. I would stand in line for the old version before i would the world version.
You are probably right, which is why whoever is in charge of the world version would do all they could to avoid it happening to prove that they failed.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
Given the crowds at WDW I'm not sure they need to boost attendance. DL is a different beast that will often run special things because they are more focused on getting the local traffic... which I think is one of the reason you get the Halloween overlays at DL but have never had them at MK.
I'm not talking about increased attendance in the parks, I'm talking about more foot traffic/attendance on the ride.

thomas998

I'm not talking about increased attendance in the parks, I'm talking about more foot traffic/attendance on the ride.
Is it even possible to get more traffic on the ride? Everytime we have been to EPCOT over the past several years there is always a line for Soarin' that pretty much goes until EPCOT closes. How could you get more traffic on it? I know they don't run all the screens all the time, but if you ran all the screens nonstop you would probably have some serious maintenance issues. While they upgraded the projection I don't know if they have done anything to the mechanical part.

mouse_luv

I'd rather have a show that has food sing about good nutrition.....
but-thats-just-me-tho.jpg

Cha Cha Cha!
IMG_2863.jpg

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
Is it even possible to get more traffic on the ride? Everytime we have been to EPCOT over the past several years there is always a line for Soarin' that pretty much goes until EPCOT closes. How could you get more traffic on it? I know they don't run all the screens all the time, but if you ran all the screens nonstop you would probably have some serious maintenance issues. While they upgraded the projection I don't know if they have done anything to the mechanical part.
Look, we are just going to have to agree to disagree...taking into account the fact that there would be 2 for the world and 1 for the Cali version, I think more guests would prefer the SoC version...(that, of course takes into account guests who have been on both versions)...if you've never been on Soarin', than I would imagine whichever line is shortest would be the one a first timer would go on. It's just my opinion (and we ALL know what they say about opinions)...

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The biggest clue there is that the Cali version is being shown in Disney CALIFORNIA Adventure. And the world film should be in a place called Walt Disney WORLD. It should have been that way in the very beginning, but, they were trying to have a 50th Celebration for Disneyland and they didn't feel it was necessary to alter the show when they added it to Epcot. That is both my guess about why and my opinion about where they should be anyway.

I also don't think that California version would be more popular in Florida than the world one is. It is a great thing for California guest to see their home state and to introduce a new grouping of people to California while they are visiting California. I think to the ending. It was cool, and never bothered me much, but, the fact that it ended in Disneyland when WDW was so much bigger then Disneyland, just struck me wrong. The world one at least ends in Epcot so it seems more personally directed at anyone visiting or from Florida.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom