Soarin' Over Cali returns to DCA...why not us??

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
It was announced today that Soarin' over Cali is returning for the month of June at DCA...Since we have 3 "theatres" at Epcot, why can't we have the Cali version permanently in one and the newer version in the other two...anyone who has been on the "world" version, knows how the film "bends" due to the contour of the screen. Our DF really prefers the Cali version much better. Could this trial, LTD run possibly be a test for a return?

Cmdr_Crimson

I'd rather have a show that has food sing about good nutrition.....
but-thats-just-me-tho.jpg

justintheharris

Since our Galaxy’s Edge opens later, perhaps it could be announced at a later date if it proves relatively effective? And for some reason I have a feeling those dates will get extended into July. In addition, I feel like this is disney admitting that Soarin Over California draws more people than Soarin Around the World...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was announced today that Soarin' over Cali is returning for the month of June at DCA...Since we have 3 "theatres" at Epcot, why can't we have the Cali version permanently in one and the newer version in the other two...anyone who has been on the "world" version, knows how the film "bends" due to the contour of the screen. Our DF really prefers the Cali version much better. Could this trial, LTD run possibly be a test for a return?

Maybe because WDW is in Florida?

I’m gonna go with the obvious here.

And why would they put it in part of a theater bank? Wouldn’t that be an unnecessary headache?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since our Galaxy’s Edge opens later, perhaps it could be announced at a later date if it proves relatively effective? And for some reason I have a feeling those dates will get extended into July. In addition, I feel like this is disney admitting that Soarin Over California draws more people than Soarin Around the World...

You’re probably right...

But like most things in Disney parks - soaring is getting long in the tooth, so they will always do little tweaks to shake things up. It is what it is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because you are Florida and not California..

only joking

Are you?

That never made sense in the first place. Iger shoehorned that clone in there back during his “do nothing but change prices phase” and it never totally fit.

Soarin’ is a good middle of the road theme park ride...so it was a nice addition, but not entirely Epcot perfect. Now that the theme is “optional” it’s perfect.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
THIS!!

thomas998

Unlikely. Whoever pushed to have the Soarin' re shot from a global perspective most likely did so based on spreading the allocated costs across all the parks showing it, if they were to can it from California it would make the person that had pushed for it to look like they failed. You don't build a new plane so you can leave it on the ground and go back to flying in the old plane it would make everyone ask why you bothered to build the new plane. I suspect them bringing it back for a limited run is just a marketing tactic to try and get more locals back to the park.

It wouldn't really make sense to bring it back to EPCOT even if it was only on of the screens. If you did it then you would have all sorts of chaos, suppose you allow guests to pick which line they stand in, you've now got to re work your queues because they are now designed for one attraction not two, or you just make it random like Star Tours where you don't know which version you are going to get in which case the guest that was expecting the world will be disappointed and complain... I just can't see them doing both.

Nottamus

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they change projection system to all digital when they switched to world?

If that’s the case....maybe California is going to be all warped too.

JIMINYCR

If you did it then you would have all sorts of chaos, suppose you allow guests to pick which line they stand in, you've now got to re work your queues because they are now designed for one attraction not two, or you just make it random like Star Tours where you don't know which version you are going to get in which case the guest that was expecting the world will be disappointed and complain... I just can't see them doing both.

Then I'm sure the California version, which most people prefer, would have the longer lines and they would have to admit the newer version falls short in guest preference, enjoyment and popularity. I would stand in line for the old version before i would the world version.

lazyboy97o

Unlikely. Whoever pushed to have the Soarin' re shot from a global perspective most likely did so based on spreading the allocated costs across all the parks showing it, if they were to can it from California it would make the person that had pushed for it to look like they failed. You don't build a new plane so you can leave it on the ground and go back to flying in the old plane it would make everyone ask why you bothered to build the new plane. I suspect them bringing it back for a limited run is just a marketing tactic to try and get more locals back to the park.
Disney doesn’t care if they hurt someone’s feelings. Even then, Soarin’ Over the World was largely financed by Shanghai Disneyland which is why it had to open first.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they change projection system to all digital when they switched to world?

If that’s the case....maybe California is going to be all warped too.
The change to digital projection occurred before and in anticipation of the new film. Digital projection is not the cause of the warping.

Kevin_W

You don't build a new plane so you can leave it on the ground and go back to flying in the old plane it would make everyone ask why you bothered to build the new plane.

An interesting analogy since there are several hundred pretty new 737 MAX planes sitting on the ground right now while the airlines fly older 737-300's. In this case it's because there is a problem with the new planes and the old planes are "better".

I was excited to see Soarin' get an update (the quality of the original film had degraded so much it wasn't terribly enjoyable to watch), but like many I'm disappointed in what we got. There wasn't a huge story to the first movie aside from "see our state", but to me it felt like more than just the viewfinder slideshow that we get with the new own. Add in the excessive CGI, warping, and awkward transitions and it just makes a mediocre attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom