Soarin over America...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm sure it's not "simple", but I mean, we're talking arguably the most popular attraction at WDW. From a technical standpoint, Spiderman at IoA is much more complex, yet the were able to digitize that. It's not simple, but it is. Disney is simply to cheap to do what needs to be done.
But do you really know that? On the surface it would seem logical that the projection system in Spiderman is more complex than Soarin and it probably is. However, that does not mean conversion to digital is any easier or even possible. Like any other complex problem, dozens of hurdles have to be overcome. If just one of those hurdles can't be cleared then the project grinds to a stop.

captainkidd

But do you really know that? On the surface it would seem logical that the projection system in Spiderman is more complex than Soarin and it probably is. However, that does not mean conversion to digital is any easier or even possible. Like any other complex problem, dozens of hurdles have to be overcome. If just one of those hurdles can't be cleared then the project grinds to a stop.

I don't know it, but it sure seems to be kind of common sense. There's too much technology out there. I refuse to believe there is no way to present Soarin' in digital.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't know it, but it sure seems to be kind of common sense. There's too much technology out there. I refuse to believe there is no way to present Soarin' in digital.
Common sense and engineering do not always coincide. What looks simple on the surface can be a very different matter when you start to do the math.

Bcakd

Well, I still think it should be Soarin over Florida instead of California. It's a great experience, and we do love Soarin, but it needs a change.:D
I agree! While California is an amazingly beautiful and diverse landscape, I believe they should make it about Florida, or at least the Southeast. Florida has swamps,white sandy beaches, orange groves, Key West, Cape Canaveral, marine life, ....ect. If you add the Southeast you could incorporate The Mississippi River, New Orleans, Gatlinburg Mountains in Tennessee, Atlanta,GA; Savannah,GA; Guntersville Lake, AL, Moundville in AL, Nashville, TN and Memphis TN. We have have a lot of beauty and Mountains and beaches, and, I see no reason not to use it in Soarin' so people can see the beauty of this part of the country as well!! Ok, that's my 2 cents worth!

Genie of the Lamp

Its too bad they couldn't treat Soarin almost the same way they did with Star Tours...And have multiple films that change every time the ride starts back up, showcasing the different areas of our country.

If only if only my friend. It works with Star Tours 2.0, so why not do/try it for soarin 2.0 or 3.0

imagineer boy

I personally think it should be changed to "Soarin' Over the World" where you fly over earth's natural wonders (like the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, the rainforrest, etc) thus having it tie into the theme of the land pavillion better.

I seem to remember reading that a long time ago, they did shoot Imax footage that would change the finale to flying over the MK instead of DL.

Rob562

Digital IMAX, or liemax, does not approach what a traditional 70mm IMAX looks like.

Here is a site about the differance, it is a little on the technical side, but a good read.

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax/

The other problem is that due to the lens in the Omnimax setup, as the images are bent toward the egdes of the sides of the screen, the pixels would get more and more distorted, causing them to become noticeable. Not as much of an issue with an "analog" source like film.

-Rob

Alektronic

The biggest problem is the light source, film projectors allow a lot more light through. Digital projectors don't have a large enough light source for that kind of throw.

DManRightHere

They could do Soarin like Star Tours where there are different scenes every time you ride. My girlfriend loves Soarin but I've always been eh about it. It was cool the first time. I guess it is always great for old people, kids, and weenies.

Goofyernmost

Which goes to show some people really could care less about quality. The film (at least in the theater we were in last week) is currently in such abysmal quality, it completely ruins the ride. If I were at the movies and the picture looked that bad, I'd leave and ask for my money back. Of course, that doesn't happen since the majority of theaters went all digital years ago.
Actually, you are correct. First time visitors are not nearly as interested in quality as in substance. They may notice poor quality, but do not react to it until the initial "pixie dust" has settled and they start to become more discerning. That's not in any way a free pass for Disney to let quality fall, but it is the reason that they have been able to get away with it. Abysmal is a pretty heavy word, it isn't abysmal it is more just not top quality. Soarin, dust bunnies and all, is still a fun ride. I found that that you have to really concentrate on the dust to distinguish it from birds flying ahead of you. If you are a first timer you are so busy looking at the scenery that those things don't even register. It's later when you have the time to look around that you start to see it.

Rob562

As long as they don't replace Jerry Goldsmith's score.... :eek:

While it's a great score, it'd be quite a cramp to the style of the designers, film director and editor to say "You can do whatever you want, but you have to make it fit this pre-recorded soundtrack". Jerry wrote the music for the attraction *after* it was pretty much done being edited together (which is how the scoring works for all films in the professional world).

In fact, Jerry actually *rode* the attraction in DCA while the film was still in a rough edit and the Imagineers were working on the passenger carriage programming. After getting off the ride he immediately agreed to do the score.

-Rob

Jasonflz

While it's a great score, it'd be quite a cramp to the style of the designers, film director and editor to say "You can do whatever you want, but you have to make it fit this pre-recorded soundtrack". Jerry wrote the music for the attraction *after* it was pretty much done being edited together (which is how the scoring works for all films in the professional world).

In fact, Jerry actually *rode* the attraction in DCA while the film was still in a rough edit and the Imagineers were working on the passenger carriage programming. After getting off the ride he immediately agreed to do the score.

-Rob
No, I understand that the 'exact' music can't be used. I mean keep the same theme, just compose a new track to fit. (Kinda like Giacchino and Star Tours)

Longhairbear

We've never been on this attraction in EPCOT because we always go to the one in DCA. We've heard the only difference is the queue. That said, EPCOT could have a more amazing version if it was of all the countries in EPCOT, and then we'd stand in line to see it.

midwest_mice

I agree! While California is an amazingly beautiful and diverse landscape, I believe they should make it about Florida, or at least the Southeast. Florida has swamps,white sandy beaches, orange groves, Key West, Cape Canaveral, marine life, ....ect. If you add the Southeast you could incorporate The Mississippi River, New Orleans, Gatlinburg Mountains in Tennessee, Atlanta,GA; Savannah,GA; Guntersville Lake, AL, Moundville in AL, Nashville, TN and Memphis TN. We have have a lot of beauty and Mountains and beaches, and, I see no reason not to use it in Soarin' so people can see the beauty of this part of the country as well!! Ok, that's my 2 cents worth!
I agree on this one. It was great when WDW got Soarin, but when they copy an attraction from DL, they need to retool it for the location. I think there are far more people from outside this country that visit WDW than DL, so they should show more of the US than just California.
When I watched Soarin a few weeks back at WDW, I noticed that the film is getting pretty speckled in places(I assume dust particles in the projection room), they really need to clean it up a little bit. And yes, it would be cool to have more than one adventure like Star Tours 2.0. They could even do that in one theatre and leave the other as is with a little cleaning up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom