Soarin over America...

Clever Name

Really? Didn't think most Americans knew that. :)

The title of the thread is Soarin Over America...not Soarin Over North America. Hence the comment.
America also includes Mexico and South America. We're all Americans! There's lots to see and do. Also, Hawaii is only a political part of America.

G00fyDad

I told my wife about this video earlier. I also mentioned this thread as where I first found it. Her response was pretty dead on. "I bet they start up the whole America vs. Not America debate again." One point for the wife! :rolleyes: Now for my two cents on the debate.

Soarin over America is fine. If this video was all shot in Canada you wouldn't want to call it Soarin over Canada-America. Go to any (and I mean ANY) other country and ask someone to show you "America" on a map and they will point to the USA every... single... time. The ride would be aptly named as Soarin over America. ;) Canada, Mexico, and South America are not part of the traditionally known "America". If we get really technical about this South America was the first to be discovered (by Amerigo Vespucci) and it was the first America to be named. So maybe the title could be considered slightly off if it is not showing South America, but that is getting far too technical. The world as a whole considers the USA as "America" and not the entire two continents.

Clever Name

I told my wife about this video earlier. I also mentioned this thread as where I first found it. Her response was pretty dead on. "I bet they start up the whole America vs. Not America debate again." One point for the wife! :rolleyes: Now for my two cents on the debate.

Soarin over America is fine. If this video was all shot in Canada you wouldn't want to call it Soarin over Canada-America. Go to any (and I mean ANY) other country and ask someone to show you "America" on a map and they will point to the USA every... single... time. The ride would be aptly named as Soarin over America. ;) Canada, Mexico, and South America are not part of the traditionally known "America". If we get really technical about this South America was the first to be discovered (by Amerigo Vespucci) and it was the first America to be named. So maybe the title could be considered slightly off if it is not showing South America, but that is getting far too technical. The world as a whole considers the USA as "America" and not the entire two continents.
Let's not forget Greenland and Cuba. I always enjoy watching the Google searches for "America" shoot up every time this topic comes up. Also, Hawaii is not part of America (except in the political sense).

G00fyDad

Let's not forget Greenland and Cuba. I always enjoy watching the Google searches for "America" shoot up every time this topic comes up. Also, Hawaii is not part of America (except in the political sense).

If I actually had done a Google search I might be amused. Please stow the "What is actually considered America" for those that actually care. This is America. Besides, I don't think too many people on these Disney boards really care. We are not all Political Science majors. ;)

The video was amusing. If Disney made one for Soarin and changed the name two things would happen.

#1 - You (and many many many others) would still ride it.
and
#2 - It would still be referred to as Soarin, and not Soarin over America despite what is on the sign out front rendering this entire conversation pretty moot. :D

Clever Name

If I actually had done a Google search I might be amused. Please stow the "What is actually considered America" for those that actually care. This is America.
No, the USA is not America. The USA is part of America. USA is the United States of America. It is not the United States America. In common usage, people like to shorten names and in informal slang the term "America" was used instead of the correct name, Untied States of America. Also, the USA is the only country to use "America" in its name.

Mexico could use the name United Mexican States of America if they desired.

doesn't really matter... but the falls are both on the american side, although some of the horseshoe specifically touches canada and the better view of them is from the canadian side. also america is north america which includes canada. the video is flying over america, not flying over the united states.

G00fyDad

No, the USA is not America. The USA is part of America. USA is the United States of America. It is not the United States America. In common usage, people like to shorten names and in informal slang the term "America" was used instead of the correct name, Untied States of America. Also, the USA is the only country to use "America" in its name.

Mexico could use the name United Mexican States of America if they desired.

Sure. No problem. I'll continue to use my slang term then. I also use your rationale and start calling the others, Canada of America, Mexico of America, Brazil of America, etc... Yeah, it really does sound that stupid. :rolleyes:

It is 11:38pm and I have to be up for work in 6 hours. Argue with someone as nutty as you and who you actually can convince. Goodnight. I'm going to go dream in slang. ;)

Clever Name

Sure. No problem. I'll continue to use my slang term then. I also use your rationale and start calling the others, Canada of America, Mexico of America, Brazil of America, etc... Yeah, it really does sound that stupid. :rolleyes:

It is 11:38pm and I have to be up for work in 6 hours. Argue with someone as nutty as you and who you actually can convince. Goodnight. I'm going to go dream in slang. ;)
Facts can be frustrating sometimes.
Not this again. Facepalm
The educational system needs improvement. :D

Rob562

doesn't really matter... but the falls are both on the american side, although some of the horseshoe specifically touches canada and the better view of them is from the canadian side.

I'm afraid the US government and the USGS disagrees with you. Goat Island is in the U.S. and Horseshoe Falls is in Canada. The border between the two countries essentially ends at the western edge of Goat Island.

-Rob

George Lucas on a Bench

Is there any reason a Soarin' update shouldn't contain the rest of the world?

Not that I care. The most I'll say for Soarin' is that it's got a phenomenal Goldsmith score that should never go away. I am kinda dumbfounded that this thing draws in so many people and consistently is the longest wait in the park. It tells me that:

1. People are bored with everything else in EPCOT
2. People would rather look at a giant screen than experience any of the other stuff
3. I've lost all faith in humanity

G00fyDad

Facts can be frustrating sometimes.

So you're saying that it is a fact that they are called Canada of America, Mexico of America, etc...? Really? Wow. I tell you what. I have neither the time or energy to argue with someone as stubborn as you about a subject that doesn't even matter. I do think that it is rather funny that anytime anyone mentions the name "Soarin over America" you start this debate again. And I even got suckered into it, again. I must have really been loopy from exhaustion last night to get into this one. I'll let you get back to your soapbox now.

Send Ray Charles' people an email to let them know he needs to re-record this. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom