Soarin' New Show

Imagineer Mitch

Original Poster
A couple of my friends have been telling me that soarin' in Disney World is or has changed their show to were it shows Central Florida stuff instead of California. I'm just wondering if this is true or not, anyone know anything??

imagineer boy

I really am hoping they chang it. It makes no sense why you're flying over California in Florida. They should make it "Soarin' over the Land" where you fly over the earth's natural wonders to fit in with the Land pavillion better.

Thurp

It was a cheap(er) way to open the attraction with the existing film. They get all the people who don't make it out to DCA. They milk this movie for several years. Then they make a new movie, they promote it and they get the crowds back again.

Of course we know the speed at which the company changes films (ie. hardly ever.)

jt04

Still regularly gets over 1 hour wait times or more so probably not for awhile. So much other stuff needs to get done that I am sure it is not high on their list.

brkgnews

I really am hoping they chang it. It makes no sense why you're flying over California in Florida. They should make it "Soarin' over the Land" where you fly over the earth's natural wonders to fit in with the Land pavillion better.
The attraction came over here as California's "gift" attraction to WDW as part of Disneyland's 50th... so the California film makes sense. Doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't mind another one either. :)

Iknewagirlnamed

Florida's mostly flat and swampy anyway, unlike the wide range of environments in California. :shrug:
Agreed. "Hey, look! It's the swampy everglades!"

"Oh, look! the green, yucky water of the Gulf of Mexico!"

"Oooh! An alligator!"

Perhaps there's enough in Florida to film it if done correctly, but Soarin' Over Cali is very beautiful. If they were to change it, it would have to top it's predecessor.

brkgnews

Agreed. "Hey, look! It's the swampy everglades!"

"Oh, look! the green, yucky water of the Gulf of Mexico!"

"Oooh! An alligator!"

Perhaps there's enough in Florida to film it if done correctly, but Soarin' Over Cali is very beautiful. If they were to change it, it would have to top it's predecessor.
Someone somewhere on teh intarwebz did a compilation video of what it could potentially look like (using helicopter video from a local television station), showing the wide variety of landscapes actually present in Florida.

What if they did Sorin' Over America, were you fly over famous places in the whole country. The beaches of California, the pairies, the great lakes, a couple big cities like Chicago, Boston, or New York, the White Mountians of New Hampshire, the shores of Maine, the Grand Cayone, Mt. Rushmore, and a bunch of other places. I think that would be amazing!

jtwyatt

Besides...I sure the bean counters find no need to change it when traffic to the attraction is still extremly high. There are other priorities both in EPCOT and around the Propertry right now
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
28 Trips so far...#29 planned July 31-August 12th
(Beach Club Resort & Disney Weding)

jt04

I have seen a video someone put together of their idea of a Soarin Over Florida. It was actually quite good and it could be done in theory. Anyone who says there is not enough "material" in Florida is missing out. For example you have

1) The Everglades (which is amazing and beautiful from the air)
2) The "Overseas Highway" (remember the movie "True Lies"?)
3) Kennedy Space Center (Shuttle Launch)
4) Daytona Speedway (with a sell out crowd looks great----sorry Pumbas)
5) The Navy's Blue Angels out of Eglin AFB
6) Miami and Miami Beach (stunning at night from the air)
7) Bok Tower (again an amazing sight from the air)
8) Beaches of the Panhandle region
9) Disney Magic and Wonder cruise ships departing/arriving at Port Canaveral (Can you say Synergy)
10) and last but certainly not least Walt Disney World

I could go on but you get the idea. It would be great. Imagine that!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There have been rumors of a film change since before the attraction was even open. There was even a somewhat credible rumor last year that the new film was "in the can". Right now there are other things at WDW than need some attention. I am pretty confident is saying that updating an attraction that routinely has hour plus waits is pretty low on that to do list. Personally I would love to see them go to a digital projection vs. a new film. I am getting a bit tired of that stray hair in nearly every scene.

MKCP 1985

True! Its a fabulous film and there's no real need to change it. People who gripe that they are tired of seeing the same film will argue with the people who say the current film is a classic and should never be replaced. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom