Soarin' New Show

Legacy

They could convert the projectors to digital projectors if they havn't done so already. The picture is such a huge clean difference...

It won't make a huge difference if the film was initially shot analog. It would be a slightly cleaner picture, but not by much.

Rob562

They could convert the projectors to digital projectors if they havn't done so already. The picture is such a huge clean difference...

As has been mentioned before, a digital IMAX projector does not exist (yet). Current digital projectors don't come close to the resolution required for an IMAX projection, nor the data transfer rate for the files required for such a projection. It's being worked on, but it's easily 3-5 years away from being viable as a replacement for IMAX film.

(Just to give you an idea... The last time I checked the numbers, the digital projection systems that movie theaters use now are only about 1/8 of the resolution necessary for IMAX.)

-Rob

I always thought the premise was you were flying from FL to CA, so it made sense to me. We were there Sat and it's still the same. My little one (just turned 4) hit a whole bunch of new rides this trip, and he loved Soarin' :)

As has been mentioned before, a digital IMAX projector does not exist (yet). Current digital projectors don't come close to the resolution required for an IMAX projection, nor the data transfer rate for the files required for such a projection. It's being worked on, but it's easily 3-5 years away from being viable as a replacement for IMAX film.

(Just to give you an idea... The last time I checked the numbers, the digital projection systems that movie theaters use now are only about 1/8 of the resolution necessary for IMAX.)

-Rob

I've worked on several projects that crunched that much data, and that was real-time manipulation, not just playback.

As for resolution, that technology is here today as well, just a matter of cost of implementation and to retro-fit in general.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom