Soarin: Is It Really That Great?

STITCHGEFAN

Me and the rest of my travelling party aren't thrilled by Soarin', albeit the same can be said for Future World as a whole. Other than SE, MS and TT we aren't really interested.

I guess it's been mentioned elsewhere, but it's hard to get into the 'Future World' mindset with poor screen quality on show and the knowledge that it's a copy of a ride from over a decade ago.

Just wish they would give Future World the gigantic TLC everyone craves to bring it back to the days I remember in the late 90's & very early 00's.

Goofyernmost

On my last trip to Disney World, I went on Soarin for the first time. I really wasn't all that impressed. I mean, it's ok, but it's no more than a once per trip kind of thing. I know a lot of people enjoy it, but I wasn't a huge fan. The finale is great, but other than that, I really don't get the hype. And the wait time for it is always around an hour and a half. I just don't get it.:confused: What is your opinion on Soarin? Is it really worth a 90 minute wait? And if you're a Soarin fan, don't hate on me. Just giving an opinion.:)
There are a few reason why Soarin is as popular as it is in Epcot.

1) For most people it is a brand new experience and one that I don't recall or am aware of, exists anywhere but in Disney. It's is an attractions that doesn't take much imagination to get into the feel of. It's basic and stimulates the senses without scaring the stuff out of anyone. The only part of the ride that is truly specifically California is the Disneyland scene. The rest could be almost anywhere in this country. OK, the Golden Gate Bridge is a slight giveaway as well.

2) It is family friendly. Any of any age can be on it and have an equally good time. That is not common in Epcot. The seas is a very good pavilion but you can get the same (close) effect sitting in the waiting room of your dentist and looking at the aquarium.

3) It is in the same building as another equally family friendly attraction...Living with the Land.

4) What's left of Imagination is really just a figment (tee hee) of anyone's imagination that there is anything worth seeing there. And for the person that thought that Captain EO was terrific... well, for that person there is nothing I can say, it's to late to be saved.

5) Many people are still afraid of Mission: Space just because a couple of people bought the farm on the ride. Half the fun is looking death in the face and riding it to Mars (unfortunately, not back... you're kinda stuck there on the red planet.

6) TT is kinda fun but I drove way faster then that getting to Disney, so the thrill is minimal. They also seem to take the same road every time.

7) Ellen is great as far as I am concerned, I love it, but many feel that a 40 minute ride is too long, especially with young kids who lose interest shortly after the dinosaurs.

8) Spaceship Earth is a wonderful ride and the very top of it is spectacular. It is every bit as popular as Soarin, but it is also a people eater and there is no long line. As far as excitement goes it is about the same as watching grass grow. I think my heart rate actually dropped during the ride. Still love it though.

In short, it is pretty much the only attraction in Epcot that won't kill you or put you to sleep and that, my friends, is why it's sooooo popular.
I forgot to add, Soarin is the only ride I have ever been on in my life that had an ovation after it ended. People were clapping and whistling, I love it!
That's been my experience as well, almost every time, there is an ovation. I have also witnessed that at the American Adventure, but nowhere near as often.

whitney37354

On our first trip, we couldn't get a FP at a good time for us until the last morning. There before rope drop & still had FP time for 1.5 hr. later. It was a good ride, but not worth the 1.5-2 hr. posted waits. We only had one FP last trip, for Soarin.

rnese

IMO there is no ride, attraction, nothing worth standing in ait's 90 minute line for unless its for something like a Wii for your son on his way to deploy to Iraq...
But Soarin is my fav ride. Barefoot, with my legs stretched out and toes pointed....that's the way I like to soar
"Barefoot, with my legs stretched out and toes pointed..." Hey. Whoa! I don't know WHAT you're describing, but It's getting me a little flustered. Let's try to keep it a "family friendly" conversation. :inlove::)

JillC LI

Soarin' is one of my all-time favorite rides, but I have never stood in the standby line. I've always had a FastPass for it. I really don't think any ride is worth standing in 90min+ lines for.

I was about to say exactly this. I adore Soarin' but I always ride it first thing without a line or get a FP for it. I am not a thrill ride lover but I love the gentle swoosh into the air and sway over the movie screen, plus the imagery and music gets me every time.

C&D

Pretty great ride, won't wait 90 minutes, but will head straight to it at opening. Now if they change the film, put me down for a 90 minutes wait (at least so I can see it for the first time), though heading there at opening will take care of that too. :)

morningstar

I don't get the hype. Many times I've experienced an IMAX movie and felt like, "Wow, it feels like I'm flying through this scene." It's pretty cool and it's the logical extension to add some motion simulation to that. It's enjoyable but it's not amazing.

AngieTink27

For DH Soarin is a must do. He loves the music and scenery of the ride. For me it is more like -meh- :rolleyes::rolleyes: but I personally do not care for epcot anyway. I will ride it with DH, and there is nothing wrong with the ride, but I am more of a MK girl.

jlsHouston

I think Soarin' is a fun ride. I ride it every time I see a wait time of 20 mins or less. Needless to say, I don't ride it often.

I actually don't get the love for quite a few Disney attractions. Soarin', TT, and TSMM are 3 of the most over rated rides anywhere.

OMG and 2 of those you listed are in my top 5 that I have to do multiple times or I feel cheated by Disney:eek:

JohnD

There are a few reason why Soarin is as popular as it is in Epcot.

1) For most people it is a brand new experience and one that I don't recall or am aware of, exists anywhere but in Disney. It's is an attractions that doesn't take much imagination to get into the feel of. It's basic and stimulates the senses without scaring the stuff out of anyone. The only part of the ride that is truly specifically California is the Disneyland scene. The rest could be almost anywhere in this country. OK, the Golden Gate Bridge is a slight giveaway as well.

2) It is family friendly. Any of any age can be on it and have an equally good time. That is not common in Epcot. The seas is a very good pavilion but you can get the same (close) effect sitting in the waiting room of your dentist and looking at the aquarium.

3) It is in the same building as another equally family friendly attraction...Living with the Land.

4) What's left of Imagination is really just a figment (tee hee) of anyone's imagination that there is anything worth seeing there. And for the person that thought that Captain EO was terrific... well, for that person there is nothing I can say, it's to late to be saved.

5) Many people are still afraid of Mission: Space just because a couple of people bought the farm on the ride. Half the fun is looking death in the face and riding it to Mars (unfortunately, not back... you're kinda stuck there on the red planet.

6) TT is kinda fun but I drove way faster then that getting to Disney, so the thrill is minimal. They also seem to take the same road every time.

7) Ellen is great as far as I am concerned, I love it, but many feel that a 40 minute ride is too long, especially with young kids who lose interest shortly after the dinosaurs.

8) Spaceship Earth is a wonderful ride and the very top of it is spectacular. It is every bit as popular as Soarin, but it is also a people eater and there is no long line. As far as excitement goes it is about the same as watching grass grow. I think my heart rate actually dropped during the ride. Still love it though.

In short, it is pretty much the only attraction in Epcot that won't kill you or put you to sleep and that, my friends, is why it's sooooo popular.

That's been my experience as well, almost every time, there is an ovation. I have also witnessed that at the American Adventure, but nowhere near as often.

A good summation. Yes, I get for some people who have ridden it more than once it gets old. But I'm going with my parents in several weeks and my Dad REALLY wants to go on it. So, yes, we have FP+ for it. It will be a new experience for him.

Tom Morrow

Its strange to me that people, even on this forum, will trash talk something like Transformers but then praise Soarin'. Yeah, Soarin' is nice, if anything it's relaxing, but its so bare and basic, and it's barely even a ride. If you close your eyes, you won't even feel like you're actually riding anything.
Just a nitpick - but per the story of Mission: Space, you don't actually go to Mars, you are doing a training simulation of a flight to Mars.

Cmdr_Crimson

Kitchen Kabaret & Food Rocks was MUCH better than Jump Cut: The Ride.
cfe389643LARGE.jpg

Goofyernmost

Its strange to me that people, even on this forum, will trash talk something like Transformers but then praise Soarin'. Yeah, Soarin' is nice, if anything it's relaxing, but its so bare and basic, and it's barely even a ride. If you close your eyes, you won't even feel like you're actually riding anything.
Just a nitpick - but per the story of Mission: Space, you don't actually go to Mars, you are doing a training simulation of a flight to Mars.
You go to your Mars and I'll go to mine! But, now that you mention it, it did seem like a rather short walk back.:facepalm:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom