SOARIN' could have been done better

Mickey is King

Original Poster
Is it just me or does anyone else think they kind of threw SOARIN' together in WDW? The waiting (boarding) area feels crampy and and the way it is tucked into the land. This attraction cartainly demands it's own building! did they think it might not go over big? Maybe some forethought would have been good- they have been hashing over and re-doing the universe of enregy forever...that would have been a sweet spot.It's own building with the original version and a second version with a different landscape- each with their own unique set of thrills and views. slightly more room would have allowed for something like this and made wait times lighter. it also would give you room to breath in the land while enjoying your lunch. I love Disney and always will , but it seems they somtimes could make things sooo much better than they are, but then again I am not privey to what the budget is.

Pongo

Huh?

Soarin' has one of the widest queues on property. Definitely not cramped, IMO. The only reason the boarding area feels cramped is because so many people with fastpasses wait outside for their return time to come up -- just like any other attraction.

Also, it IS in its own building, technically.

Yensid_Robert9

Yeah I agree with Pongo.... You also have to think about consistency when it comes to new buildings, I would recommend reading the Imagineering Field Guides. They explain greatly all the detail that goes into each and every attraction and why they are placed there.

For example (this isn't in there, just saying my thoughts) In SOARIN' you're flying over the Earth in a "glider" you're not only flying all over but also doing what some people (pilots) refer to as "mapping the Earth" meaning you go along with the land each hill tree....etc... So it only makes sense that SOARIN' is added to....THE LAND.

(Did that make sense, just making sure it's understandable)

Tigger103

I love SOARIN' it is one of the best rides in WDW, I know what you mean about the feeling of minimal space but I think the main problem is that they only have capacity for 87 people per show they should have doubled this ove many screens to meet the demand of the ride because it is so fantastic.

C&D

Sure they may have done some things differently, but hindsight is 20/20; all in all they did a terrific job in execution. Two Thumbs Up!

Missing20K

I thought the thread title meant the attraction itself could have been done better, not just the queue and preshow and loading areas. For a moment, I thought I might not be alone in thinking it is vastly overrated. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I feel it is over hyped. It's a nice, mild, family-type C-ticket in my opinion. Completely overlooking the sub-par quality film and somewhat odd theming, I just didn't feel the ride to be terribly exciting, fun, thrilling, amusing, poignant, innovative, etc., etc., that usually sets Disney attractions apart.

Is it just me, or is Soarin' just watching an Omnimax or IMAX film, while gently swinging and occasionally having a faint sniff or light breeze to coincide with something on screen? I don't understand for the life of me why it is so popular. I find the Living with the Land tour to be far more stimulating and entertaining, not too mention slightly educational. Wait a second, entertainment, education. Edutainment? Epcot?:lol:

Oh well, I guess I'll continue to stand alone in thinking while fun, Soarin' is at best a solid family C-ticket. Certainly not worth hours in line. If I can FP it, great, if not, no loss. Just a couple of lincoln heads.

Disney05

I love Soarin. I've never felt cramped. Maybe the walk from the entrance to the actual attraction is long but that's it. They made do with what they had. Probably saved them money. And I'm sure one day they will change the movie. But that will just be another thing for people to critique.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is it just me, or is Soarin' just watching an Omnimax or IMAX film, while gently swinging and occasionally having a faint sniff or light breeze to coincide with something on screen?
That`s exactly all that it is. Plus jarring jump cuts between scenes. But the strange thing is that it works.
Maybe the walk from the entrance to the actual attraction is long but that's it.
They had no choice with the location they picked.

ryguy

Well I could think of lot of other rides that could have been done a lot better, Soarin is not one of them. I love soarin, like marni said it was thrown together, but all in all its great. That being said I have never done stand-by for this attraction nor will I ever, unless they get rid of fastpass altogether. I guess I would if I was there first thing in the morning and could walk right on. IMO I don't think any attraction(or restaurant) is worth an hour or more wait. Thats the big problem with TSM, great ride, but the stand-by wait times are out of control. But I think thats more to do with the fact that TSM in one of only a few family attractions at the studios. Its something the whole family can do together, unlike a lot of the other studio rides. So until they create more family friendly attractions wait times will continue to be high. I guess you could say the same theory applies to Epcot as well.

I am defining a family as two adults and two kids ranging from 3-6 and 7-10 years of age. I guess you could throw Grandma in their too. Not literally, those bones are brittle. :lol:

surfsupdon

It just would have been so much nicer if the entrance/exit/FastPass area were located to the side of the land pavilion. It's a congested nightmare in that pavilion.

At least bring the FastPass machines outside!!

TheJonesys

We love Soarin', the only thing I would have liked is some kind of water effect as you swoop down and you feel like your feet are going to touch the sea

TheBeatles

There are two things that bothers me about Soarin'

1. Seeing other peoples feet dangling overhead
2. Looking over and seeing a CM sitting at a desk right next to the screen

Other than that, I think the attraction is fun.

hawkwood

I tend to agree that while Soarin' was pretty cool the first couple of times I went on it, it definitely is no longer worth the 2+ hour wait for standby.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
There are two things that bothers me about Soarin'

1. Seeing other peoples feet dangling overhead
2. Looking over and seeing a CM sitting at a desk right next to the screen

Other than that, I think the attraction is fun.

I can get over number 1 by looking straight ahead (or asking for the front- a request that has ALWAYS been honored), but agree about number 2. They're always just sitting over there, doing paperwork. Couldn't they have put them a bit farther out of view?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The only problem with Soarin' is how dirty the projector/screen was in July. Has that been taken care of? To use Disney-speak: "Bad show".

No, it was very dusty this week. Enough that people were commenting, wondering what "that" was. Some people thought it was a bird flying around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom