Soarin' CM previews today

KevinPage

imagineer99 said:
I really don't see this happening.

Maybe I'm the pessimist...but when has Disney ever changed a ride film?

You've just been staring at your avatar too long, which has caused seizures, that's all :D :D :D

xfkirsten

will_hsv said:
Just a quick question. How many normal(as in not us) people do you think will even notice that it is Disneyland and not the Magic Kingdom?

Probably not many... but the fact that IASW is shown all lit up for Christmas (it's very obvious) might confuse some. :p

imagineer99

will_hsv said:
Just a quick question. How many normal(as in not us) people do you think will even notice that it is Disneyland and not the Magic Kingdom?

I don't know...

The thing is, Disneyland doesn't look very much like the magic kingdom to me. The castles are so different, not to mention one has the Matterhorn.

When it comes to the average guest, though, they probably won't notice (or even care for that matter).

peter11435

imagineer99 said:
I really don't see this happening.

Maybe I'm the pessimist...but when has Disney ever changed a ride film?

Star Tours is in dire need and they've been ignoring that for years.

I would love to see them change the M:S video in about five years, but I also do not see that happening.
Well, they did change the China circle-vision last year.

STGRhost

Does Puddy, um, I mean Patrick Warburton, still refer to the Mickey Ears as "beauties" in the pre show? I'd be surprised if they only changed a few words in the pre show video, as Puddy was spotted on property a few weeks back, surely they would do more than that.

Well, he was there briefly to re-do the stuff for Soarin'. I think that was in November. He was back again over Christmas, but that was just to spend the holiday there with his family. He's supposed to be back in May for the press event. (I still think of him as Puddy, too!)

On topic :lookaroun : Having never seen Soarin', I wonder... Is there a reference made to which park you fly over at the end? Or is it just a visual? Because it's possible that the average day guest won't realize it isn't the Magic Kingdom if they aren't told otherwise. I have a feeling Disney is banking on that. :rolleyes:

xfkirsten

STGRhost said:
On topic :lookaroun : Having never seen Soarin', I wonder... Is there a reference made to which park you fly over at the end? Or is it just a visual? Because it's possible that the average day guest won't realize it isn't the Magic Kingdom if they aren't told otherwise. I have a feeling Disney is banking on that. :rolleyes:

It's never specifically said, no. But it's a fairly low fly-over, so you can definitely tell that the castle isn't the same. And the IASW lights are pretty blatant. :)

bugsbunny

The DCA attraction obviously flies over DL and it is really obvious. If you have been to DL and WDW, the most striking difference is the size of the castle.

The one at DL could probably fit inside my house where the WDW castle is the size of a small apartment building. Also the "hub" around the castle's are strikingly different in proportion to each other.

Regardless of where the film is from, I fell in love with the ride at DCA. All the nay-sayers can pulverise it as being cheap or "What's the big deal especially when there isn't even a pre-show or a nice queue area".

But the first time you ride it, I guaranetee you will be slack jawed. The immersement is quite complete...right down to the smell of the orange grove. Plus, I've been to Yosemite a few times so soaring through it as in the film is truly breath taking.

aklodge

bugsbunny said:
The DCA attraction obviously flies over DL and it is really obvious. If you have been to DL and WDW, the most striking difference is the size of the castle.

The one at DL could probably fit inside my house where the WDW castle is the size of a small apartment building. Also the "hub" around the castle's are strikingly different in proportion to each other.

Regardless of where the film is from, I fell in love with the ride at DCA. All the nay-sayers can pulverise it as being cheap or "What's the big deal especially when there isn't even a pre-show or a nice queue area".

But the first time you ride it, I guaranetee you will be slack jawed. The immersement is quite complete...right down to the smell of the orange grove. Plus, I've been to Yosemite a few times so soaring through it as in the film is truly breath taking.
I can't wait to ride Soarin. I think it is going to be one of the best rides at Epcot, besides Test Track and M:S. Just my opinion, though.

-SIR-

Can't wait until im a cast member and get to do previews... guess ill get to preview Everest... good enough for me!

Goofster

I'm sure Disney doesn't even care if people do recognize Disneyland as not being the Magic Kingdom in the film, and they shouldn't. I mean, the Golden Celebration is based upon the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, not the Magic Kingdom, so it'll be cool for everybody at Epcot and the frequent WDW Guests to get a glimps of what their neighbor on the west coast looks like. And all of the sights take place in California, so it's not like you're Soarin' over China and then all of a sudden you're in California. Disney will change it eventually, I'm sure.

And as for the Star Tours criticism. Lucas is practically gonna pay Disney to let them let him make a new ride film now that Revenge of the Sith and the star wars trilogy are over. He's not gonna have any other projects to work on, and he's gonna miss his baby. In a year or so we'll get a brand spankin' new Star Tours, maybe even a brand new ride. Especially if Disney has any hopes of continuing Star Wars Weekends.

Well, there's optimism for you, eh?

imagineer99

Goofster said:
I'm sure Disney doesn't even care if people do recognize Disneyland as not being the Magic Kingdom in the film, and they shouldn't. I mean, the Golden Celebration is based upon the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, not the Magic Kingdom, so it'll be cool for everybody at Epcot and the frequent WDW Guests to get a glimps of what their neighbor on the west coast looks like. And all of the sights take place in California, so it's not like you're Soarin' over China and then all of a sudden you're in California. Disney will change it eventually, I'm sure.

And as for the Star Tours criticism. Lucas is practically gonna pay Disney to let them let him make a new ride film now that Revenge of the Sith and the star wars trilogy are over. He's not gonna have any other projects to work on, and he's gonna miss his baby. In a year or so we'll get a brand spankin' new Star Tours, maybe even a brand new ride. Especially if Disney has any hopes of continuing Star Wars Weekends.

Well, there's optimism for you, eh?

Well...I know the statement is hackneyed, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not discounting anything, but with Disney, NOTHING is for sure until you see dirt being moved.

Beyond that, I've heard the above rumors many, many times. Just because it's said a lot, it does not make it true. Last I heard the Lucas and Disney association was not as strong as it used to be.

As for Soarin', one's gotta admit that Disney took the cheap way out with this one. Creating a WDW exclusive film could not have been that difficult. I know that Disney likes to emphasize the connection with Disneyland for the celebration, but to me, this seems more like a cheap marketing ploy than actual fact.

Please, don't get me wrong, I'm insanely excited to ride Soarin' (and to see Lights! Motors! Action!), but that doesn't stop me from wanting to use the Soarin techology for something a little more on theme. Flying over various ecosystems (desert, jungle, ocean, mountain, farmland, etch.) would really accentuate the land pavillion instead of feeling crammed to fit in.

Considering Disney is going to bank on the success of Soarin' for a while, I wouldn't even expect to see a new film until at least five to ten years out.

I really hope I end up eating my words on that (but I just don't want to get my hopes up)...;)

PhotoDave219

I did hear that there was the paperwork and capital finances were approved for a new soarin film. But i dunno where the status on that is, I head this over the summer.

But dont hold your breath.

askmike1

I think this was rather smart of Disney (putting in the same film). People will go initially because the ride is new. Plus, there is the fact that many people who go to Epcot have never been to DL. Then, a few years later (the soonest being Epcot's 25th), they put in a new film and everyone comes back to see it.

-Michael

CTXRover

imagineer99 said:
Flying over various ecosystems (desert, jungle, ocean, mountain, farmland, etch.) would really accentuate the land pavillion instead of feeling crammed to fit in.

Well, actually with the exception of a rainforest-like jungle one would associate with say South America, the California film does fly over nearly all types of ecosystems. Its actually one of the neat aspects of California. In Soarin' over California you fly over the ocean, over farmland, over Orange Groves, over snow-topped mountains, along rivers, National Parks, deserts, etc. There are probably a lot of people who wouldn't even realize its all from California if they weren't told so. Of course though there are distinct CA landmarks that may make it a little more obvious including San Diego, the Golden Gate Bridge and DL itself, but the current film will fit very nicely in showing many different ecosystems.

I'm all for a new film sometime down the road that could include even more breathtaking views (particularly from Alaska), but I think the CA film is going to fit very nicely into the theme of the land for now, and the ending IS a nice homage to the whole 50th celebration thing. More or less, Soarin' with the CA film should provide everyone with a sense of awe at just the natural beauty of the land for the first time in the pavilion, without trying to shove down your throat some environmental message of how nice it is. The film and experience really fulfill that on their own.

The queue, which has yet to be fully seen, should hopefully hammer home "the land" aspect of the experience vs the flying/history of aviation focus seen in the original. Direct from a Disney press release, which is hopefully true: QUOTE: "Soarin' " is an exhilarating flight over California's diverse terrain -- mountains, deserts, the ocean. "We try to reinforce this story in the pre-show," Mangum (Kathy Magnum, WDI executive producer) says, "by having guests pass by huge panoramas of five of the Earth's biospheres." END QUOTE...Even though the biosphere panoramas haven't been seen by some of the lucky CM's who have been inside the Soarin' show building already, it sounds like they have only seen part of the queue area and so I still believe they will be included. Personally, I would be quite upset if they left the biosphere panaromas out of the queue, as I think that will do a lot to set the tone for the experience.

imagineer99

CTXRover said:
Well, actually with the exception of a rainforest-like jungle one would associate with say South America, the California film does fly over nearly all types of ecosystems. Its actually one of the neat aspects of California. In Soarin' over California you fly over the ocean, over farmland, over Orange Groves, over snow-topped mountains, along rivers, National Parks, deserts, etc. There are probably a lot of people who wouldn't even realize its all from California if they weren't told so. Of course though there are distinct CA landmarks that may make it a little more obvious including San Diego, the Golden Gate Bridge and DL itself, but the current film will fit very nicely in showing many different ecosystems.

I must admit I've never been to Disneyland nor have I seen the Soarin' film (I don't want to spoil anything), so your points are very valid.

Nevertheless, wouldn't it be cool to have a narrator describe the various biomes and their relationship to one another? It would keep that original "educational entertainment" aspect of Epcot back into the forefront instead of simply enjoying scenery.

Believe me, when people exit the ride, they'll be thinking about flying over CA and not really thinking about "living with the land." This isn't a bad thing (as I said, I can't wait to ride), but is that really showcasing what the pavillion is about? Hopefully, as you said, the queue attempts to reinforce this. Definitely a step in the right direction!:)

As of right not, it seems that Soarin' is like a new pair of tight jeans. It fits, but not really well. :D

aklodge

imagineer99 said:
I must admit I've never been to Disneyland nor have I seen the Soarin' film (I don't want to spoil anything), so your points are very valid.

Nevertheless, wouldn't be cool to have a narrator describe the various biomes and their relationship to one another?

Believe me, when people exit the ride, they'll be thinking about flying over CA and not really thinking about "living with the land."

It fits, but not really well.
Yea, I agree. I don't think either that they will be concerned about whether the ride was similar to LWTL. Just my opinon, though.

CTXRover

imagineer99 said:
INevertheless, wouldn't be cool to have a narrator describe the various biomes and their relationship to one another?

That is certainly a different and valid approach to the ride, but I personally don't think its necessary. While I agree that its possible a lot of people will associate Soarin' with the "thrill" of feeling like your flying vs the landscape that is seen, I do think the beauty of the landscape really speaks for itself and having a narrator talking to you the whole time would take away from what one could even say is the majesty of the sights and the overall experience. Granted flying over it in real life would be better, but this gets pretty darn close to replicating that. The Living with the Land boat ride, assuming it remains unchanged, already goes over various landscapes and how we live on and from them. The Circle of Life film does a very nice job of covering the importance of man working with the Land to keep its natural splendor intact. That's why imo, Soarin' will be a nice complement and allows for the beauty of the land to speak for herself...

I'm very much for keeping Epcot all about "edutainment", and I think just experiencing the beauty of these sights has a level of educational value without having them explain it to you, but that's just my take on it. Obviously a narration would do a lot more, but again, I don't think its necessary given the other experiences within the pavilion already.

General Grizz

imagineer99 said:

Nevertheless, wouldn't it be cool to have a narrator describe the various biomes and their relationship to one another? It would keep that original "educational entertainment" aspect of Epcot back into the forefront instead of simply enjoying scenery.

Believe me, when people exit the ride, they'll be thinking about flying over CA and not really thinking about "living with the land." This isn't a bad thing (as I said, I can't wait to ride), but is that really showcasing what the pavillion is about? Hopefully, as you said, the queue attempts to reinforce this. Definitely a step in the right direction!:)

As of right not, it seems that Soarin' is like a new pair of tight jeans. It fits, but not really well. :D

I think you're absolutely right. Sure, it isn't NECESSARY, but what is at Disney? The point of the attractions is to offer the most to guests. And in the spirit of Epcot, a NEW version of Soarin' would work.

Because the Land isn't about flying over Disneyland or the Golden Gate Bridge. The scenery of the mountains and landscape DOES offer Epcot guests views of the Land, and this can be expanded upon with a general look over the world's biospheres. California is so limited - and so random for the Land.

Up until now, only EXCLUSIVE attractions (at opening) have made it to Epcot. I think I'll be in love with the Soarin' concept, but I expect the film to be totally remade for 2007. It should involve a look at different ecosystems or with man's interaction with nature. . . thus offering guests (A) an experience that ties into the Land they are visiting, (B) a reason to visit EPCOT AND Disney's California Adventure to see two different versions, and (C) an attraction that delights - and inspires at the same time.

CTXRover

General Grizz said:
I think you're absolutely right. Sure, it isn't NECESSARY, but what is at Disney? The point of the attractions is to offer the most to guests. And in the spirit of Epcot, a NEW version of Soarin' would work.

Because the Land isn't about flying over Disneyland or the Golden Gate Bridge. The scenery of the mountains and landscape DOES offer Epcot guests views of the Land, and this can be expanded upon with a general look over the world's biospheres. California is so limited - and so random for the Land.

I agree the land isn't about flying over DL or Golden Gate Bridge, but a majority of the CA Soarin' film does take you over natural sights. One could even say the segments that fly over San Diego, the battleships in the harbor, the Golden Gate bridge, etc. are all examples of how WE "live with the land" and as such are just as important to representing portrayals of the land as the ones that show off her natural beauty.

I totally agree that a new film would be nice and I too am hoping for one in the future. However, I do believe that for right now the CA films will fit nicely. Afterall, the landscape of CA that is covered in the film DOES cover a lot of the various terrains found throughout the world. Obviously there is still a lot not covered that can hopefully be touched upon later, but for I now I think most are going to be quite pleased with the experience of Soarin'. It sure adds a lot more to experiencing "the land" than either KK or Food Rocks did (even though they were cute, educational shows..but ultimately would have fit better in the WOL pavilion).

I totally can see why one would think explaining the message to you about the landscape and what its all about as the other two Land attractions do would provide "more" to the guests, but I don't think it technically adds more "quality" to the experience. What better way to let people appreciate just how great this land we live on is than to let them see for themselves...that's where I think the concept of Soarin' fits. Just my opinion though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom