Soarin' CM previews today

Montu

Original Poster
Unlike other members on this board that can't and/or won't talk about Soarin', the first cast previews were held today for two hours in the afternoon. No non-cast were allowed in, and there will likely not be any soft openings to guests for at least a month. The "official" cast previews (isn't it sad that Mission: SPACE started the trend of official soft opening versus normal soft opening, and now Soarin' has "soft" cast previews and "official" cast previews") are not until the second week of April.

As if there was any doubt, the film is the same exact film used in DCA. Very minor differences to ride programing and preshow, and the queue's different up until the grouping/load point.

If you've got specific questions - just ask. It's a lot easier than sitting here outlining the whole thing and maybe still not hitting on what you want to know.

-C

netenyahoo

What are the difference in the queue? Is there some kind of preshow than monitors like at DCA? What does the inside of the pavilion look like? How is the theming?

Montu

Original Poster
netenyahoo said:
What are the difference in the queue? Is there some kind of preshow than monitors like at DCA? What does the inside of the pavilion look like? How is the theming?

The queue is set up to more closely resemble a hallway in an airport. It's nice - I like the look more than the metal almost batman the ride storm drain tunnel look at DCA. The hallway that leads from the Land to the Soarin' building is a nice coral pink in color - it should compliment the Land nicely - that leads into a blue hallway with really nice neon-looking fiber optic lighting trims - from there if you're familiar with the CA version, the layout is the same. Long straight hallway splits at the end to go to one of the two domes. The blue continues down to the bottom by the load area, where it looks a LOT like the CA version - almost feeling a bit out of place. It feels more like you've entered the airport's basement than it does continuing the established (newer) theme.

Monitors are the same - the preshow is the same. The ONLY difference in the preshow (currently, at least) is the opening - and I mean like the opening SENTENCE was refilmed -the rest is not only the same, but it's (again, currently) the DCA film entirely. And the only difference- btw - is "...and welcome to Soarin'." versus "...and welcome to Soarin' Over California." .... Seems pretty damn dumb to even refilm it rather than just edit out those two words, but whatever.

The inside of the pavilion is not done - and from what I've heard, I have doubts it will even open by the (pushed back) April 6th date. It's just dirt right now. No ramps have been installed yet - still a loooooot to do. Cast previews were all backstage - directly into the Soarin' building and not through the Land at all. (Rest assured - it's very safe to say this will *not* happen with park guests.)

ISTCrew20

Soarin' was awesome. I had never been on the DCA one, so this was all new to me. I was able to ride it twice, and the front is the best seat. The queue was really nice and so is the queue music. The castmember costumes are neat too. They look like airline pilots.

peter11435

Could you descibe the scenery in the queue a bit more? The press release mentioned biodomes representing the four seasons, do you know anything about these?

Montu

Original Poster
peter11435 said:
Could you descibe the scenery in the queue a bit more? The press release mentioned biodomes representing the four seasons, do you know anything about these?

The seasons are on the balloons and that's inside the Land pavillion - that's not inside Soarin'. Like I said, the queue just looks like hallways in a trendy airport. That's it.

ISTCrew20

peter11435 said:
All the CM's saw was a entrance like hallway, with blue lights on each side of the wall and the words "SOARIN" hanging on the main wall. From there is another long hallway which had a few tv's on the ceiling, but there weren't on. And from that hallway is the loading hallway. It looks like an airport, like described above.

peter11435

Montu said:
The seasons are on the balloons and that's inside the Land pavillion - that's not inside Soarin'. Like I said, the queue just looks like hallways in a trendy airport. That's it.
I know about the balloons, but the press release said the actual soarin quere would have guests walk through four biodomes. I'll see if I can find the press release.

peter11435

ISTCrew20 said:
All the CM's saw was a entrance like hallway, with blue lights on each side of the wall and the words "SOARIN" hanging on the main wall. From there is another long hallway which had a few tv's on the ceiling, but there weren't on. And from that hallway is the loading hallway. It looks like an airport, like described above.
thanks.

raven

ISTCrew20 said:
Soarin' was awesome. I had never been on the DCA one, so this was all new to me. I was able to ride it twice, and the front is the best seat.

Could someone explain the ride vehicle, mechanics, exc.? I'm sure, like myself, most of the members here on the board haven't been on the original. So hearing the phrase "...pretty much the same as DCA" still gives us no clue as to what it looks like. Thanks. :wave:

ISTCrew20

raven said:
Could someone explain the ride vehicle, mechanics, exc.? I'm sure, like myself, most of the members here on the board haven't been on the original. So hearing the phrase "...pretty much the same as DCA" still gives us no clue as to what it looks like. Thanks. :wave:
I had no idea how it would work either. There were 3 rows of like 10 seats all in front of a rounded screen. The seats move forward and then up, with the front row being the highest. When the ride is over, the seats return to their normal position.

Atta83

Yes, I heard from a friend that cast previews were today and to get on a plane and come there :lol: , but I am going to be there at the end of the month so no worries on it. hehehe...

xfkirsten

ISTCrew20 said:
I had no idea how it would work either. There were 3 rows of like 10 seats all in front of a rounded screen. The seats move forward and then up, with the front row being the highest. When the ride is over, the seats return to their normal position.

Are the sections numbered the same way that they are here at DCA? Left (as you face the screen) is A, middle is B, right is C? Front row 1, middle row 2, back row 3?

I'm always very picky about where I sit, because IMHO there's a biiig difference in experience...

ISTCrew20

xfkirsten said:
Are the sections numbered the same way that they are here at DCA? Left (as you face the screen) is A, middle is B, right is C? Front row 1, middle row 2, back row 3?

I'm always very picky about where I sit, because IMHO there's a biiig difference in experience...
Yea, that is how I remember it.

The first time I rode, I was in the back row. It gave the illusion that you were gonna touch the ground, but you could see the bottom of the screen. The front was the best, since you were completely immerssed.

xfkirsten

ISTCrew20 said:
Yea, that is how I remember it.

The first time I rode, I was in the back row. It gave the illusion that you were gonna touch the ground, but you could see the bottom of the screen. The front was the best, since you were completely immerssed.

Right. That edge of the screen and the feet dangling in my face are why I can't stand other rows than B1.

DigitalDisney

Where is everything, relative to the Kitchen Kabaret / Food Rocks theater configuration? Are the rooms in this area still the same, or have they been torn up and made virtually unrecognizable?

Is the old theater going to be overflow queue? A gift shop? A food location / seating area for the new restaurant?

ISTCrew20

DigitalDisney said:
Where is everything, relative to the Kitchen Kabaret / Food Rocks theater configuration? Are the rooms in this area still the same, or have they been torn up and made virtually unrecognizable?

Is the old theater going to be overflow queue? A gift shop? A food location / seating area for the new restaurant?
No idea. We weren't in the building that Food Rocks was in, so I can't tell you anything about it. Last I heard, it would be Soarin's gift shop.

raven

ISTCrew20 said:

Thanks Patrick. I understand now. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom