Soarin' and The Land changes - what is your opinion?

Are you impressed with the changes made to The Land?

• Yes, I think the addition of Soarin' and changes to the Land are a good thing

Votes: 197 78.8%
  • No, I would prefer to have left the Land unchanged

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • I have no preference

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • I agree with the addition of Soarin', but I do not like the changes to the rest of The Land

Votes: 35 14.0%

• Total voters

General Grizz

ThreeCircles said:
I agree! This thread has become nothing more than one huge commercial in it's attempts to get people to visit that site! I've been told to visit it more times than I can count. And that's only on this one thread! :dazzle:

ThreeCircles, never did I, nor any member of the website, intend to use this thread as an advertisment. The debate started, then a bashing of the website continued, which lead to a discussion of the website. To call the progression of the topic a commercial is simply not true. In fact, furthering the discussion will continue that same problem.

If it were my choice, the site would never have been brought up.

So as I have always said... back to the Land.

Gregory

Just a quick addition to that.. D-Troops has never been mentioned by one of the "Troops" (with the exception of a few times, where a link to GOOD (not negative) things have been posted, just because all the images couldn't be posted on WDWMagic) without being "provoked." When we do link to D-Troops, it is not as an advertisement, but rather because we couldn't (for some reason) fit everything on the post itself. We have never posted something that is directly copied from D-Troops, or posted just a link. We are not here to advertise D-Troops, at all.

If we were looking to advertise the site, we'd post links all over WDWMagic. Now, we are just trying to defend something we have worked hard on, which is being attacked due to unfair generalizations. The reason we want you to go to the site is so that you realise that we are not terrible people, as we have been made out to be. If it were up to me, WDWMagic and D-Troops would be seperate, 100%. But, people keep bringing the site back up, and making untrue and unfair comments on it. To say this thread is an advertisement is unbelievable.

CTXRover

Gregory said:
And, CTXRover- just because the Land didn't inspire people before (and, I'm using your opinion), its ok that it doesn't inspire people now?

That's not what I imeant to imply. I was referring to the more 'realistic' possibility that the former version didn't inspire people to go and set up a farm or plant a tree and likewise the newer version won't inspire much of that either. That isn't an excuse, its just what my opinion is regarding the reality of the situation. However, I'm sure there will be the exceptions on both sides.

I may be misunderstanding your viewpoints, and I apologize if I have, but it seems like your implication is that the new look has no inspirational value and the old version did, and I that doesn't really seem justified to me. If the old version could inspire you so much, its just as likely the brighter and more inviting and overall more aesthetically pleasing, imo, will inspire some folks as well.

HOWEVER, can you justifiably argue that Food Rocks did a better job inspiring people about the Land than Soarin' does with its wonderful views of many landscapes and examples of man's symbiosis with the land? The pavilion as a whole just seems so much stronger to me and gets lost in the discussion of metal handrails and white walls.

General Grizz

CTXRover said:
That's not what I imeant to imply. I was referring to the more 'realistic' possibility that the former version didn't inspire people to go and set up a farm or plant a tree and likewise the newer version won't inspire much of that either. That isn't an excuse, its just what my opinion is regarding the reality of the situation. However, I'm sure there will be the exceptions on both sides.

I may be misunderstanding your viewpoints, and I apologize if I have, but it seems like your implication is that the new look has no inspirational value and the old version did, and I that doesn't really seem justified to me. If the old version could inspire you so much, its just as likely the brighter and more inviting and overall more aesthetically pleasing, imo, will inspire some folks as well.

HOWEVER, can you justifiably argue that Food Rocks did a better job inspiring people about the Land than Soarin' does with its wonderful views of many landscapes and examples of man's symbiosis with the land? The pavilion as a whole just seems so much stronger to me.
I agree that Soarin' fits in a very different way than Food Rocks did. But thanks, CTXRover, for debating the argument in a respectful manner. Although we have never agreed 100%, my gratitude is there.

OK, I'm out... :lol:

SO, how about we change the topic:

Discuss your top 5 favorite parts of the new pavilion.

I'll start:

1. New logo
2. New signage
3. Repainted balloons
4. Exterior design
5. New roof color scheme

As I said, I've been told to go and visit the site more times on this thread than I care to count. If that isn't an advertisement, then what is it? You're attempting to get people to go over and visit the site. Yeah, that's what I would call an advertisement.

Let's recall the lead up to the site launch. Shall we recall the D-Troops are Coming! signatures, avatars, and links? I do.

And, once again, you both are making the assumption that I haven't visited the site and that I'm making crass generalizations about something that I know nothing about.

Here, let me be clear:

I have visited the site and I have read many of the articles on it. Based on these observations I have concluded what I have previously posted about the site.

It's my opinion and not the end of the world!

Langdonj

Airport theme

I haven't been there, So I have to go by the pictures. But standing in the Las Vegas airport, I don't see any pics of long lines at metal detectors, fast food rest. or rows of uncomfortable chairs. Maybe future pictures will reveal more of the "airport theme." :p :p

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:

I'll start:

1. New logo
2. New signage
3. Repainted balloons
4. Exterior design
5. New roof color scheme

What are you doing Grizz? I thought that you hated everything about the new Land. I thought that the D-Troops goal was to bash everything that Disney does. I thought that you hated all change. I can't believe you would post something like this :lookaroun

CTXRover

General Grizz said:
I

I couldn't choose just five. So here's my top ten :D

1. Soarin': the overall ride experience
2. Soarin's queue (it deserves its own number since its very nicely done)
3. The thematic decision to incorporate the four Seasons into the food court in every facet of the dining experience.
4. The bright, modern and overall refreshing look of the pavilion's interior
5. The new balloons
6. The ceiling painted sky blue and its banners representing streams of sunshine
7. The autumn seating section and its leave-covered table and funky carpet representing the fall (I like that section for some reason the most of the four)
8. The new exterior sign
9. The new exterior landscaping
10. The lighting structures. Whether they are meant to be trees (which I see) or clouds (which was my first thought), I think they're hip, modern, and neat.

And one last bonus: The official, prominent check-in desk for the Behind the Seeds tour. Now I know where to go if I decide to take it :)

Epcot82Guy

Wow... this has gotten a bit personal if you ask me. I love this site. I also love the D-Troops site. I think they have a bias, but that is the point. I have never taken it to mean "Disney is doing a poor job." Even their statements about The Land have been fairly strict, but who cares? A person can look at the photos and decide for themselves. It does look a fair bit like an airport, but if you are going to Disney to go to a park, who cares? D-Troops holds a VERY high standard, and so do many Disney enthusiasts. I would ask anyone to name a website that writes reviews of these parks as in-depth as some of these articles that does not have some sort of bias. Even sites like Intercot and WDWMagic.com with very good, short summaries, have some minor bias. It's part of writing. Unless they are reporting greivously skewed or incorrect material, let them report. I will proudly say I am signed onto that site and that I enjoy reading it, even if I don't always agree with the report.

dxwwf3

Epcot82Guy said:
Wow... this has gotten a bit personal if you ask me. I love this site. I also love the D-Troops site. I think they have a bias, but that is the point. I have never taken it to mean "Disney is doing a poor job." Even their statements about The Land have been fairly strict, but who cares? A person can look at the photos and decide for themselves. It does look a fair bit like an airport, but if you are going to Disney to go to a park, who cares? D-Troops holds a VERY high standard, and so do many Disney enthusiasts. I would ask anyone to name a website that writes reviews of these parks as in-depth as some of these articles that does not have some sort of bias. Even sites like Intercot and WDWMagic.com with very good, short summaries, have some minor bias. It's part of writing. Unless they are reporting greivously skewed or incorrect material, let them report. I will proudly say I am signed onto that site and that I enjoy reading it, even if I don't always agree with the report.

Well said. I hope that I never change my high standard for the Disney product. And I hope they continue to deliver that high standard......most of the time :animwink:

Epcot82Guy

And to answer the Top 5

1. Soarin'
2. Soarin'
3. Soa... oh sorry :lookaroun

Let's try again...

1. Soarin'
2. The new planters out front (they have more eclectic a botanical offering IMHO)
3. The prominent featuring of Behind the Seeds!!!! (SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS PERSONALLY!)
4. The new concept for the Sunshine Season's menu
5. The extension of the mosaic theme (I wish it could have gone even farther! It's just really cool!)

tnemgif

I think the changes look great, I was never a big fan of the "old" Land. I like the modern and bright/colorful theming.

MicBat

Epcot82Guy said:
Wow... this has gotten a bit personal if you ask me. I love this site. I also love the D-Troops site. I think they have a bias, but that is the point.
I agree. I read both wdwmagic and d-troops often. I dont agree with everything put on both, but I enjoy hearing other opinions. I wouldn't say d-troops was pushing their opinion on anyone... Merely sharing their own.

dxwwf3

My top 5 (From Pictures)

1. Soarin'
2. The Soarin' queue (includes the check in desk)
3. The new sign in front of the pavilion
4. The seating islands
5. The tables in the seating islands

dxwwf3

MicBat said:
I agree. I read both wdwmagic and d-troops often. I dont agree with everything put on both, but I enjoy hearing other opinions. I wouldn't say d-troops was pushing their opinion on anyone... Merely sharing their own.

Could not agree with you any more. :wave:

MicBat

My Top 5 (From Pictures as Well):

1. The Soarin FP Distribution Area: I LOVE this because it mixes the them of a contemporary airport and the theme of the land with the hardwood resembling rolling hills.
2. The organized seating area: No more having to climb through tables and stools! It also looks much more organized.
3. The new signage
4. The landscaping outside.
5. Soarin! I've yet to ride it, but everyone I know that's done it says it's AMAZING!

Gregory

Top Five:

1) The seasons- The Land kept the earth theme of the seasons, which is nice...

2) Soarin' - This ride could give the Land the life it needs.

3) The signs - They have a modern, but earthy feel

4) The outside - Theres something about the outside of the attraction that I really like...

5) The new seats - They look more comfortable :)

Also, lastly, I'd like to thank Epcot82Guy - I couldn't say what he said better myself. That being said, I am done with this thread. Nothing is going to come from it, other than a bad reputation for me (both point-wise, and actual reputation). As it was noted earlier, it is becoming more of an advertisment for D-Troops (though that wasn't the intention, and never will be.. in fact, the site is getting a worse reputation because of this thread) than a dicussion of The Land. If anyone wants to continue this converstaion, feel free to PM me or IM me (PM me for my AIM screen name) But, other than that, back to the Land, and less on D-Troops.

Wckd Queen said:
"Disney is now a business."

Truth of the matter is, Disney has always been a business. Yes, Walt was the dreamer, the first Imagineer. But Roy was the business man. Business may have changed from when Walt first started the company till now, but to say that it is "now" a business is rather presumtpuous and myopic. What was it before if it's only now a business? If Disney failed to turn a profit, then it would have ceased to exist, just like any other business, be it Walt himself at the helm or Eisner.

The difference is that you design things that work right with the story and theme and do them in a fantastic way. Then the business part would take care of itself because you created a product so unique, thought provoking, and entertaining that NO ONE ELSE HAD! The business aspect to Walt was always secondary to the dream and imagination. Now it is the other way around. How can we dream up more business and cash first. Everything else is secondary. The philosophy mentioned first above is what made the Disney business so successful, and why the new philosophy has made Disney less and less successful. It's why more and more people are scratching their heads and saying that doesn't work together or seem right or it seems cheap and thoughtless. It's why Roy is fighting to revive the company from the suits that have a "myopic" view of the Disney parks(and all other Disney enterprises) as a cash register only and have missed the imagination, originality, and creativity that set Disney above the rest and provided quite well for the "business" returns. And that's a FACT! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom