Soarin' and The Land changes - what is your opinion?

Are you impressed with the changes made to The Land?

• Yes, I think the addition of Soarin' and changes to the Land are a good thing

Votes: 197 78.8%
  • No, I would prefer to have left the Land unchanged

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • I have no preference

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • I agree with the addition of Soarin', but I do not like the changes to the rest of The Land

Votes: 35 14.0%

• Total voters

General Grizz

Big picture, I agree. Increasing guest flow and attendance is great. The concerns have been on the little things, I don't think that many people are against Soarin' at all.

That's why I'm gonna split now, and get some work done before posting an editorial on Soarin'. I think you might enjoy it, Dave.

PhotoDave219

General Grizz said:
Actually, Disney has considered demolishing the Wonders of Life based on some apparent leaks.

But that's for another thread.

That is an interesting idea. What if they replaced WoL with something like a Weather Pavillion, something thats equally educational and entertaning, seeing as Orlando is the lightning capital of the planet, and appears to be the hurricane crossroads of florida.

Merely a thought.

MicBat

Gregory said:
What does the Land, as it is now, inspire people to do? Run out to their local airport for a visit? I didn't actually really consider the future in farming... I was just saying that at least doing that would be something...
See... To me, the land in it's entirety doesn't really look THAT much like an actual airport. I think they just updated the existing building to make it more efficient and updated. The area by Soarin', yes, that does look like an airport. But not the rest.

speck76

Gregory said:
What does the Land, as it is now, inspire people to do? Run out to their local airport for a visit? I didn't actually really consider the future in farming... I was just saying that at least doing that would be something...

You are WAY too obsessed with the airport theme....which is not even a theme, but a central vehicle to tie everything together

The Land itself may not inspire anyone to do anything.....but did it ever?

The attractions inside The Land are, IMO, are inspirational.....the pavilion itself, IMO, was never more than a gateway to the attractions.

General Grizz

PhotoDave219 said:
That is an interesting idea. What if they replaced WoL with something like a Weather Pavillion, something thats equally educational and entertaning, seeing as Orlando is the lightning capital of the planet, and appears to be the hurricane crossroads of florida.

Merely a thought.
And out of the storms, great thought and ideas arise... :D

OK, off to write that article. After a few other chores are taken care of.

Wckd Queen

Gregory said:
First off, we aren't Grizz's followers. I have my own opinions, as does everyone else on the site. Personal attacks won't (or at least shouldn't) help your cause.

Secondly, if people just read D-Troops before bashing the site, we wouldn't need t "beat you over the head" with it.. Its fusterating when we do one thing, but are constantly accused of doing other things. If you are going to reference D-Troops in your posts (not just you, Dave.. that was a general statement), at least actually read the site. Don't just argue what you think we are writing about, or what other people write. Do us (and yourselves) a favor, and read the site before bashing it.

Dave, while this is bordering on a personal attack (which I like to avoid), I will still say it- you are telling us to "tone it back and subtly try to educate us with your point of view". Heres a tip- your suggestions usually work best if you follow them yourself, rather than be sarcastic and make personal attacks.

It also helps not to contradict yourselves. I mean, first you were saying you were only the Dtroops webmaster..now you are saying "we wouldn't need t "beat you over the head" with it". Which is it then?

If you want others to respect your opinions, then first, you must respect the opinions of others. People on this site have commented that they either liked or disliked the new renovations to the Land. A pole in this thread, started by the webmaster of this site himself, suggests that 80% of those who responded find the renovations to be an improvement. Why then are those who are representing DTroops by referencing Dtroops and linking to Dtroops insisting on converting those who disagree with their opinions here? Just as you are entitled not to like the renovations, others are entitled to like it. The more you attempt to force your opinions on others, the less receptive people will be to anything you post and indirectly to anything posted on your website :wave:

Gregory

MicBat said:
See... To me, the land in it's entirety doesn't really look THAT much like an actual airport. I think they just updated the existing building to make it more efficient and updated. The area by Soarin', yes, that does look like an airport. But not the rest.

(this is in response to Speck, too) I guess I shuld clarify.. I don't think the entire place is themed like an airport. Just, its clean, efficient, and has the feel of an airport. I'm not saying it looks like an airport, but rather it would be more suited for an airport than "The Land" (remember, this is my opinion.. not a fact)

Gregory said:
I can't be held accountable for the actions of others in my "circle" (which, while we're on the topic, D-Troops members don't all have the same opinions.. Its not like what one person says is adopted by the rest of the group...) And, what we post on D-Troops ranges from completely unbiased to somewhat negative to positive (check back within the next few days.. we usually do it this way- start with an unbiased opinion, then write our thoughts, then in the third installment on a topic, provide the other side of the argument. So, before you attack us for being relentlessly biased, take a look at the site.. )

Unbiased? Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

I think that maybe the "bash Disney" website field was just a bit too crowded even prior to the advent of D-Troops. And if it wasn't then, well, it certainly is now.

CTXRover

Gregory said:

I've said it before, but in my personal view, I just don't see the aiport themeing in the central atrium, and I have many doubts the average guest will get that impression either. Even Soarin's queue which was purposefully made to look like an airport has many "Land-like" features including the use of curved lines, wood trim and ceilings, that one room with its cloud-like ceiling and of course the Grand Hall with its 5 panaromic views of the Earth's biomes with rotating facts meant to continue the Epcot tradition of EDUCATION (without shoving it in people's faces and boring them).

For me, the central portion of the Land pavilion as a whole now has an obvious and modern theme dealing with the Land. The entire central area, from the actual food selections, to the dining areas, to the atrium, all deal with the four seasons. Can you deny the importance of the seasons and its affect on the Land?

I think if you go in looking for it to be an airport, which was the rumored and often wide-held belief of folks over at D-troops from day 1, you'll find things to justify that viewpoint. If you go in looking at how it represents the land, whether you like the modern/artistic expression of it, its all around you. Either way, I honestly don't think it'll inspire many of your average guests to do anything for the Land, but neither did the dark and dreary former version....but then again, Soarin' might....it surely seems to affect its riders (there are very few rides that generate applause at the end....I've heard that both here and out at the DCA version so I don't think that reaction is a fluke)

Gregory

Wckd Queen said:
It also helps not to contradict yourselves. I mean, first you were saying you were only the Dtroops webmaster..now you are saying "we wouldn't need t "beat you over the head" with it". Which is it then?

If you want others to respect your opinions, then first, you must respect the opinions of others. People on this site have commented that they either liked or disliked the new renovations to the Land. A pole in this thread, started by the webmaster of this site himself, suggests that 80% of those who responded find the renovations to be an improvement. Why then are those who are representing DTroops by referencing Dtroops and linking to Dtroops insisting on converting those who disagree with their opinions here? Just as you are entitled not to like the renovations, others are entitled to like it. The more you attempt to force your opinions on others, the less receptive people will be to anything you post and indirectly to anything posted on your website :wave:
I didn't contridict myself.. I was originally refering to the fact that its not my site, which its not anymore than WDWMagic is your site. But, at the same time, I'm a part of it- just like you could refer to WDWMagic as "we".

Anyway.. Have I tried to force my opinions on anyone? I think you should, rather tahn direct that at me (or D-Troops in general), direct it at everyone. I don't post on WDWMagic as often as I'd like (I am extreamly busy elsewhere).. But, when I do, it seems I always end up defending myself. I don't try to force my opinion on anyone, and (like I've said before), I'm respectful of everyones opinion (like I said before, you could say you wanted the castle flattened to make room for a gift shop, and I wouldn't criticize you.. I would post reasons why I disagreed with it, but I would never criticize you)

General Grizz

ThreeCircles said:
Unbiased? Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

I think that maybe the "bash Disney" website field was just a bit too crowded even prior to the advent of D-Troops. And if it wasn't then, well, it certainly is now.
We're not anti-Disney, we're a site that promotes the preserving of magic. You would know this if you read our newsbriefs (the first of which began with the top ten attractions of 2004) and articles, at least. Lots of positive stuff exists, as presented on previous posts.

And once again, editorials are written by those who have opinions. Opinions imply personal bias, which we keep in the articles section, not news. We post editorials, but we also open these up to people from the public.

Oh, how this thread is so distracting. :lol:

Gregory

We are biased. And, proud of it. Our love for Disney has a tendency to taint our views, and we don't deny it. But, at the same time, we do post some unbiased articles, so that you can make your own conclusions.

Do you agree with everything Disney does? No? So, does that make you a "Disney basher"? Take a look at D-Troops. We post just as much good things as WDWmagic- and, just as much bad stuff. We are not a site whos intent is to bash Disney. In fact, we don't "bash" Disney at all.. We may disagree on some points, but if you're looking for a good example of bashing something, don't look at D-Troops. Look at this thread.

And, CTXRover- just because the Land didn't inspire people before (and, I'm using your opinion), its ok that it doesn't inspire people now?

CTXRover

General Grizz said:
I don't think we're anti-Disney. If you take a look and read through our articles, at least. Lots of positive stuff, as has been presented on previous posts.

And once again, editorials are written by those who have opinions. Opinions imply personal bias, which we keep in the articles section, not news. We post editorials, but we also open these up to people from the public.

Oh, how this thread is so distracting. :lol:

I think you should take on another "trooper" then that finds the positive in the new stuff. Sometimes it can't be found, but it seems most of the editorials are quite negative. Its personal opinion, I agree, but after so many it reflects an image of the whole site.

There should be a "Good Show" update too where pictures show off things done right, things maintained well, or stories of CM's making that extra effort. Its all around, moreso than the "bad show".

But enough about D-troops, take that over there if you want to discuss it...this is WDWMAGIC!! :sohappy: :)

CTXRover said:
But enough about D-troops, take that over there if you want to discuss it...this is WDWMAGIC!! :sohappy: :)

I agree! This thread has become nothing more than one huge commercial in it's attempts to get people to visit that site! I've been told to visit it more times than I can count. And that's only on this one thread! :dazzle:

And, just an FYI, I have visited the site. I've read some of the articles. My opinion that it is little more than yet another bash-Disney site came from, gulp, my own experiences. It's not as if I, or probably anyone else who disagrees with the "mission" of that site, suddenly decided to adopt someone elses perspective on it. Hmmm... They must be coming from somewhere, right? :rolleyes:

Back to WDWMagic. I hope. :)

Gregory

CTXRover said:
I think you should take on another "trooper" then that finds the positive in the new stuff. Sometimes it can't be found, but it seems most of the editorials are quite negative. Its personal opinion, I agree, but after so many it reflects an image of the whole site.

There should be a "Good Show" update too where pictures show off things done right, things maintained well, or stories of CM's making that extra effort. Its all around, moreso than the "bad show".

I hate to be an angel and harp on it (yeah.. that was lame.. I just figured I'd try it out ;)), but I have one or two more comments on this...

First off, D-Troops is open to anyone. Heres my theory.. how can you (tahts a general you, not directed at anyone in perticular) complain that we are all negative, when you don't write anything for the site? If you sent us an opinion article, and we didn't post it, then sure- complain. But, nobody (well.. the people who have will be published Friday, I think) has written to us with positive things to say. If you e-mail it to us, we'll post it. It just so happens only people who think negatively about the Land changes have written to us (with a few exceptions).

I'll say it again- I don't want to plug the site. That was never my intent. But, you should actually all read the site. At least if you're going to comment on it, that is. Like I said before, D-Troops is associated with everything evil about Disney fans, because it only comes up when people have something to criticize about it. Check out the site, and I think you'll be surprised to find out that we do have a lot of positive things, as well as a lot of unbiased articles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom