Soarin' and The Land changes - what is your opinion?

Are you impressed with the changes made to The Land?

• Yes, I think the addition of Soarin' and changes to the Land are a good thing

Votes: 197 78.8%
  • No, I would prefer to have left the Land unchanged

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • I have no preference

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • I agree with the addition of Soarin', but I do not like the changes to the rest of The Land

Votes: 35 14.0%

• Total voters

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Soarin has been in previews for a couple of weeks now, along with the recent previews of the newly refurbished Land pavilion and Sunshine Seasons food court. Lots of you have seen it in person, and lots of information and photos have been available online here in the forum and on http://www.wdwmagic.com/soarin.htm

I am interested in what you think of the change. Do you think the addition of Soarin and the changes to the Land as a whole are a good thing, or would you have rather left it the way it was? Feel free to leave comments and add your opinion on the poll. :)

ogryn

The more I look at the pictures, the more I like the revamped Land pavillion. It looks fresh, modern and funky, yet still, IMO, retains its theme. A pavillion for the 21st century!

Soarin' gets a thumbs-up as well (Bonus points for its sign :lol: )

General Grizz

Option: Yes, I think the addition of Soarin' [is] a good thing, [but I do not prefer airport theming which exists starting on the bottom half of the pavilion to the original or potential].

Reasoning: NOT because it looks bad... (it actually looks good - for a Trendy airport or for a shopping mall).

My thoughts can be explained in Buzzy's article: http://www.d-troops.com/articles.php?id=485

From the article:

• We first encounter the new marquee and entrance garden, which tell us that The Land will be earthy and organic; the marquee complements the mosaic murals of the original pavilion, giving a sense of union and harmony to the experiences to come.
  • The gently flowing banners, installed in the ’94 rehab, are now streams of golden sunshine, and they surround the familiar hot air balloons, repainted with cool pastels and reflecting, better than ever, the theme of the four seasons.
  • Two entirely different, disjointed worlds exist in this pavilion.
  • The airport theming is well done. Guests have called it “new and nice” and “artsy,” and it sure does make a pleasant and lovely terminal. But how is it related to the Land and Mother Nature?
  • The terminal lacks character, heart, and richness of meaning, and a pavilion supposed to feel earthy and natural should not look like a contemporary airport, much less a shopping mall.
  • Visually, we see a celebration of modern artistic design and the industrial human spirit; but where is the earthy Land that we’re expecting?
  • In The Land, the sun will soon shine over a bustling terminal, which won’t feel so far removed from the Orlando International Airport that guests just left in order to come to Epcot. It may be nice and clean, sleek and modern, attractive and streamlined...

...but is it The Land?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have posted opinions on this in various threads, but to summarise my thoughts.

The Land changes have injected new life into the pavilion, and brought it right into the 21st century. We need to remember that The Land is part of Future World. Guests expect to see Future World pavilions as being modern and cutting edge, not representing the future as it was in the 1980s.

The pavilion has a bright, exciting new innovative looking (and tasting) food court, a major new Eticket Soarin', which is classic Disney, and a truly impressive experience, and retains an existing classic, the Living with the Land boat ride. This pavilion is now sure to become a favorite with most Epcot guests, and a must do! I am looking forward to spending a good few hours of my Epcot days in The Land :)

dolbyman

I loved soarin (never been in the land pavilion before... only seen videos of the old shows)

but I think soarin attracts more people than the others

ogryn

Grizz said:
...but is it The Land?

Yeah, but what is "The Land"? Is it your memories of the place tainting your views, or making it something more personal to you? If "The Land" was a brand new pavillion, would you still be upset of its design?

Grizz said:
The airport theming is well done. Guests have called it “new and nice” and “artsy,” and it sure does make a pleasant and lovely terminal. But how is it related to the Land and Mother Nature?

The lights look like trees to me, the carpets are meant to show the hues and shades of the different seasons. The benches are flowing, curved and natural , far from an industrial look, more like a river

Grizz said:
Visually, we see a celebration of modern artistic design and the industrial human spirit; but where is the earthy Land that we’re expecting?
So, do things have to be painted brown and dark red to represent the earth nowadays. Take a stroll next door and go learn something from Figment, Grizz... :p

...and finally, why does "The Land" have to be represented by earth colours, and natural looking things?

Would you like WDI to install a big sandpit for you to roll in, so you can get some real life earthy materials between your paws?

Erika

I haven't been down there in a while so I can't comment on anything new, but from what I've seen, it looks good. I didn't feel a big attachment to The Land (although I got a big kick out of Food Rocks) so I am not upset by anything closing.

"Earth tones" are nice and all but take a trip to the Painted Desert or the Grand Canyon and you'll learn that anything goes. :king:

brkgnews

I, for one, am extremely impressed with how well it was done. I think it still maintains the integrity of the pavillion's message, while allowing it to appear brand-spanking new. I was lucky enough to see a few of the higher-ups standing there in hard-hats -- I made sure to take time to thank them for doing such a wonderful job of updating the pavillion while still maintaining its mission.

surfsupdon

I as well never had a big connection to The Land. It was my first time inside at the farmer's market this past vacation.

During that Christmas week that place was PACKED, I mean jammed up and a mess. I'm curious to see how it will be with Soarin'.

From the pictures I have seen, everything looks okay. I'm really excited to ride Soarin.' However, I would have prefrred that the farmer's market theme of the food court kinda stayed. That looked awesome. From the pictures, it now looks sterile and not fun. (I may be mistaken).

Shaman

I really like the changes made...they have made the pavilion a much more inviting place....I only question the lack of things done to help with crowd flow...Nevertheless, I think Soarin' is a good fit (I would've prefered to see an independent pavilion [centered on aviation], but in the end, I like what they did)....

MY overall grade for rehab/ride addition: B+

BrerVeritas

Is it just me or was there a much simpler solution to this retheming. Why did they have to go a concentrate on the flying aspect of Soarin, when the ride is about stunning vistas and mother nature. They didn't have to figure out a way to tie the airport theming to the broader land pavillion. They could have changed the theming for soarin to a more land friendly theme and kept the feel and ideals of the land intact.

The land is about nature...it is supposed to have an organic feel to it. These modernized and mechanized "representations of nature just don't sit righ with me. Metal and plastic don't have to be the only vision of the future used in future world. With a little imagination an organic future can be visualized that would have been a nice counterpoint to the "futuristic visions" over on the otherside of future world.

I don't mind the new land that much. But disney had the chance to do something extraordinary here, but instead they again just settled for ordinary. I hope this mindset changes soon.

KumbaRider

The new pavillion is a great addition to the Land. I was very fearful of the revamped interior, but they not only pulled off the travel theme, but were able to modestly incorporate it with much of the previous feeling for the pavillion. Overall I was very impressed with the redo, and quite surprised.

Disneyfan1981

Based on the fact that the Land has been closed on every visit (2000, 2002, and 2004) I like the new style but I will admit it seems to be all tied into Soarin'. Looking forward to my next trip and hopefully my first time through the Land.

Epcot82Guy

I think this is a case of Devil in the Details. I think the central atrium bottom floor is really the only problem. 90% of this looks OUTSTANDING. By far the best renovation as of late. However, I just think the details could have been more organic. The entry looks really nice. I think Grizz summed up the symbiosis argument the best. However, the bottom floor is just missing something. I think the materials, while industrial, could be just fine if they had added some organic details. Add some metal "branches" to the trunks; add the wood rail along the top of the metal as suggested; SIMPLY PUT SOME PLANTS ON THE METAL "TREES!" They could even be metal themselves (paint them green). I also don't like the white carpeting on the floor. I really think this could have been a nice tile mosaic or earth tone brown to mimic soil (the ONLY place in WDW that a brown carpeting would work). I guess, in short, it just needs a few more of those Disney details that you have to stop and take a double look at, and those should be organic in style (not necessarily material).

Also, BRING BACK THE LOGO TO THE WALL WHERE THE YELLOW "swish" IS! :mad:

CTXRover

General Grizz said:
It may be nice and clean, sleek and modern, attractive and streamlined...
[/list]

...but is it The Land?

A better question may be how is it not related to the Land? Forget the preconceived notion that an airport theme was being overlaid on the pavilion. The reality is only the Soarin’ addition took on an airport theme. One which, by the way, is exceptionally done with natural wood ceilings, wooden wall decorations, curved and flowing lines along the walls and along the ceilings, blue natural lighting and one room with a beautiful, almost cloud-like ceiling. Not to mention the five large panoramic views of Earth’s biomes in the Great Hall with its ever-changing number of questions and factoids about them to entertain and educate guests waiting in line. Is the airport theme that embraces these natural elements any less appropriate than a rock n’ roll concert theatre/venue that was part of the former pavilion? I find it hard you could argue it did.

Back to the rest of the pavilion. The entire central portion now has a greater, more cohesive theme of “ the land” than ever before. Is it a little less "earthy", perhaps, but is that all that would make it appropriate? I realize we all agree the atrium/ceiling works very well, so I’ll spare the regurgitation of how it works for the Land pavilion. The bottom floor though is no more an airport terminal than the old food court was something you could see in a dated shopping mall. If you went in looking for it to be that way, you could easily find evidence of it on both sides. After all, in the former pavilion, the farmer’s market theme dealt more with the “food” and less with “the land”. Now let’s look at the new pavilion for what it presents as a total package. Forget the biased idea it looks like an airport and for a second stop trying to see how it does, because there is SO much more there. We now have an entire experience from the food to the seating areas to the atrium that all deal with the land’s four seasons, integral to the way the land is shaped on a yearly basis and affecting how man can interact with it. The seating areas are decked out in bright bold colors representing each season. The tables further that themeing as they are imprinted with various images depicting that particular season. Fall leaves decorate the autumn tables and suns on the tables in the summer section depict the summer. Coupled with the curved lines used throughout, dark, natural looking wood chairs that actually have a back to them surround all tables. This is in stark contrast to the small, backless, stools of the former pavilion. These new chairs and the surrounding benches may actually let guests sit back and relax for once and take in the beautiful atrium. And then there is the food, continuing the experience of the seasons and the land with tastes and smells representative of each season. How did the food at the old farmer’s market extend the theme of the land beyond the food and the notion it was grown from the land? I'm not convinced yet it did.

The central part of the pavilion then takes the experience to a new level and gives the pavilion its “Future”/modern look, as it is part of FUTURE world afterall. Modern art representations and bright open colors are complemented with representations of green tree trunks along the pavilion’s columns and lighting structures that represent either clouds or trees….whatever the eye wants to see, it all has to do with The Land in the end.

Please understand I see, respect and undertand your points of view. Vaild arguments have been made. I only ask that you forget trying to prove it looks like an airport terminal by using fragmented, one-sided quotes from mostly forum members here, one-sided views and deceiving “photos” and talk about the theme that’s there. I even saw something in the recent D-troops article that is a DIRECT quote from something I said here regarding the hope for more seasonal themeing to indicate which food serving area is what. It's true, I do, but it comes nowhere close to representing my true feelings on the new look of the pavilion and, for me, proof of the one-sided bias nature of the review and even may bring into the question the credibility and reliability of the D-troops for good reviews (for me at least). Its only my background knowledge of many of the founders of that site (mainly from our history here) that keep me knowing you all want to have the best intentions. I don't expect for us all to share the same viewpoints, but it wouldn't hurt to provide a balanced perspective at the forefront and not just in an editorial down the road. The pavilion has more to do with the land than you seem to want to give credit for.

xtimMOOthyx

I really like the new look of the Land. It is really modern and sleek looking. While I will miss the old look of the land with the huge fountain in the middle and the spotlights in front of Food Rocks that made the hidden Mickey, I am looking forward to seeing the new Land, and I cannot wait to ride Soarin'!

goofyfan13

Great points CTXRover! :wave: I too like the new look of the Land, right when I first walked in on Saturday I was extrememly impressed, I even like the new landscaping out front, which looks like it will be a little stream when everything is done. I was a little worried about the whole travel agency thing, but when I walked in I was more than relieved with what I saw. As stated above, Soarin', while it is modeled to look like airports, there are obvious tributes to the Land and the beauty of Earth throughout. The new central area looks even better, and I can't wait to eat at the new food court, most of the food sounds good. Also, I am very pleased that Living with the Land appears to be untouched, seeing as the wall in the que appeared to be the same as before. All in all I was very pleased with how the Land was re-done, and I look forward to taking my family in it on May 6th or 7th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom