So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 20: The Final Frontier(Land) - An Invite Only All Stars Event!

monkey92514

Hey look who decided to drop in!

41AFF532-D7EB-4BC7-85F2-961BBF3B8978.jpeg

spacemt354

Chili's
The Mountain Project Review

First off, I really like the presentation background adding a new style from Slidesgo/Flaticon - I'll definitely have to check those out and appreciate how this is the first project to use that style. Definitely helps separate it from the more generic google slide formats that have become more commonplace as we've transitioned from forum posts to google slides/sites for the majority of projects. Kudos to the person who came up with that!

And the poster in the front was amazing - Really like how you tied this all in with the 35th anniversary. And the map - wow! It looks so much like the old MGM maps!

1677648711433.png

mgmbeginning_map1989disney.gif

Starting off I have to say I love both of the mountains and truly like how you were able to expand out the area as well to provide a more complete picture. In regards to Muppets Hollywoodland, while I wasn't expecting it for a mountain attraction, it definitely makes sense given the lack of thematic cohesion with Star Tours sort of sticking out like a sore thumb as noted in the write-up. In The Great Movie Ride Competition in 2017 we remodeled the rest of the Muppets Courtyard with some flat rides and a new attraction, and I can see that style taking shape in this one as well! Having the swings and swan boats was an incredible touch and really helps give DHS more variety when it comes to their top heavy attractions. They need those kid-friendly flats and this did just that.

At first I was a bit skeptical of the Star Tours overlay but I have to say despite the chances of it happening being close to zero, it would be so funny if it did. It would be a great way to keep the Star Tours people love while also incorporating it more into the theme of the new land and keeping it separate from Galaxy's Edge. This became a brilliant way of fusing those concepts together and I really appreciated the images and write-ups to go along with it.

Muppet Mountain was a creative endeavor as well. For this I definitely would have liked to see a visual of what the mountain looked like. I read the description with the cone appearance and the spinning wheels/window wipers but I think that would have been a great visual to have especially since this is about creating a new skyline for DHS.

In terms of the ride itself I think the dialogue was very well crafted and hilarious - I like how lesser known Muppets took center stage as it would parallel Muppet*Vision 3D and Pigs in Space well by showcasing all the Muppets rather than just the well-known ones over and over. I did chuckle many times at the scene titles as well [they keep doing this, just put it on one slide!]

The remainder of the land including the food offerings was well done. Transitioning to the Backlot, this might have been my favorite part of the project. Taking something so classic like an infusion of the Great Movie Ride and the Backlot Tour, two iconic MGM attractions, and turning it into something for a modern audience representing films that on the surface may not seem like they flow together, but the detailed description really make it flow well especially when I could cross-reference with the hand-drawn map.

One quick note is that while I really appreciate the photoshop of the mountain I was a little confused as to what I was supposed to be looking at. I assume from the description the bald mountain is the exterior but the castle is also part of the exterior? And why is Spaceship Earth in the background? Lol because you wouldn't be able to see that from the angle in the park it is at. I know that's a minor quibble, as I really like the boundary pushing of the art as a stand alone piece.

In terms of the Backlot Express I don't see who was credited for that but it's well done and whoever put the Blue Raspberry Slushie must like Applebee's a lot.

Overall, with the loss of Pi and plenty of PoMVP proceedings, The Merged Ones came out with an excellent project worthy of the praise it deserves!

spacemt354

Chili's
Pi Presents:

At the IAAPA Expo in 2021, Thierry Coup (the head of Universal Creative) described not stopping Fast & Furious supercharged from being built in Florida as his greatest mistake. It is a terrible ride and that is almost universally agreed on. It isn't even generally seen as a fun kind of bad like Jimmy Fallon, it's just bad. With perhaps the only real redeeming feature being the fun lights on the ride vehicles.

With the opening of Universal's Epic Universe coming soon, Universal Orlando is looking to make some big moves to combat Disney's dominance in Orlando and take the top spot as the best theme park resort in Florida, but Supercharged stands as a big black spot on their recent record. Many strategies have been discussed to try and fix this. The obvious solution is to just replace it or demolish it, but that is an expensive move that requires Universal to publicly and officially admit it was a mistake. They could lean into the meme of it all and hope it becomes a Rocky Horror type experience for theme park fans, but it is difficult if not impossible for a corporation to force a phenomenon like that to happen.

Realistically, Universal Orlando has only one option...

A multi-faceted five year plan to gaslight the American public into believing that this is a good ride and it always has been

(Click the picture above to be taken to the presentation)
Now to take on this behemoth.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
And why is Spaceship Earth in the background? Lol because you wouldn't be able to see that from the angle in the park it is at. I know that's a minor quibble, as I really like the boundary pushing of the art as a stand alone piece.
When I first made the original version of the facade, I was planning on having the ride oriented a little differently, so Epcot would be in that direction. Not that you could actually see SSE from within the park, but it was meant to be a fun detail.

Then later I just forgot to take her out of the image 🤣🤣🤣

spacemt354

Chili's
The Gang Gaslights The American Public Review
pretty-sure-this-is-how-my-gas-station-has-been-figuring-v0-ww05h0u88xo81.jpg

For a project that was performed on a whim and could have just been mailed in, it says a lot about your commitment to the game by going all out for something like this! Sure the premise is silly, but you leaned into it.

And while the main premise of this is a joke, part of it does delve into how fans could and potentially are gaslit by companies who get influencers to promote things that aren't well received to convince people that it's better than it seems, or that your memories are misleading and things weren't actually that good back then.

This in many ways is funny but as I got to the later phases reading, I realized that there's a chance this could happen. Maybe not for Fast and Furious, but it could. The Earthquake overlay to show it wasn't that good was very clever, get the fans to demand Fast and Furious back! And then pay for it!

Pi this whole project:
1677650351844.png

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Is there no eliminations this round?
Damn it! I've literally been in auto-pilot with dropping the new project immediately with the drop outs. No, project will NOT be coming tonight. Results show will be happening 8PM Eastern/5PM Pacific tomorrow where the elimination, Walt's Vault, PoMVP, and prompt reveal will all take place!​

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Alright, I want to start by giving another Town Hall style state of the game statement. Generally speaking, this was a pretty tough round. Several members of the team were super busy, Ace had a lot of bad luck with travel, Monkey had some potential medical issues come up, and Pi got kidnapped by weird street racers. That mixed with the lack of proper eliminations so far in the post merge has caused what I sense is a bit of a simmer when it comes to interest level. I found this surprising as it was intentionally designed to be the most accessible of the season. I'm going to strike it up as bad timing. This isn't a bad project at all, but the end result is probably my least favorite of the season while still having some pretty inspired moments.

I think a big problem is that the brainstorming was a little off and things shifted around relatively last minute. I hate to say it, but I think a lot was lost with the removal of the Disaster Mountain concept. It's kind of funny that the game now has its own collection of "Never Built" concepts between that, The Imagineering Story musical, and Weird Al's Soarin' Over Lame Locations as just a few from the season to come to mind. I do think that Musical Mountain was a fine attraction in its own right and I'll certainly have nice things to say about it later on, but I think the accessible yet thrilling nature and throwback to 90s "behind the scenes" style Studio attractions that was Disaster Mountain would have made for a much more outside the box approach at least as far as the concept pitches read.

Generally speaking, I think Muppet Mountain faired a lot better in the last minute change. I've gotta hand it to @Brer Panther, you've REALLY stepped up your game in the post merge. Right now based on your performance the past couple rounds I don't even think it's accurate to call you an underdog anymore. You've truly had one of the biggest turnarounds I've ever seen in the game and have been a huge bright spot in the season. Monkey, you also did an absolutely fantastic job working with your IP of choice, and you and Brer formed a truly unlikely but awesome duo this round that I really hope we get to see more of. The two of you really compliment your styles in an awesome way, and it's one of my favorite parts of hosting the game when we can get creative partnerships like that to come together.

I love all the Journey to the Center of the Earth stuff in Muppet Mountain, and having that as a parody structure just fits the brand so damn well. I absolutely cracked up at the backstage scene. There was a really solid mix of ORIGINAL creature creations which was a bold but super strong addition. The character lineup of Walter, Pepe, Bobo, and Animal really pops and gives a great dynamic flow interactions. My one note with this one is that I do think it was a bit too dialogue focused, and this probably comes down to an OCD formatting issue on my end. The dialogue itself is great and very in character, I guess I just wanted a bit more of the attraction description. Would have LOVED a couple more paragraphs on just how the backstage scene played out for example.

@OSUPhantom, you absolutely nailed the Star Tour parody vibe with Pigs in Space, and it was a fantastic supplemental edition. While in the grand scheme of things I think your leadership came together very well to deliver a solid end product, I do think there were points where you let the brainstorming get away from you to a certain extent. It definitely wasn't the best Project Leader showing this season, but it's nothing to be actively critical of either. Finding the balance of how much to contribute as a Project Leader is one of the trickiest parts of the game, as is trying to navigate all the different ideas and opinions that clearly kind of clashed (in a very friendly way!) this time around. I guess one other thing I should note is that while I appreciate the extra stuff in the Muppets land (the swing ride in particular would fit into the park lineup like a glove and I love the Muppet parodies famous paintings) I think it's been kind of a season-long issue with everyone to kind of go outside the lines of what's required from the prompt itself. Without giving away the details of the next prompt, I will say that Goofy and I have formatted it in a way that should be pretty hard to actually break away from the requirements haha.

While I do think that Disaster Mountain would have been the more creative attraction, make no mistake...The Backlot on Vine Street is still a fantastic land and should not put any negative connotations on The Great Musical Mountain. While I do thing the originality of having an attraction parody makes Muppet Mountain stand out a bit more, I think The Backlot on Vine Street is the more tasteful and well thought out of the two actual lands. It is SUCH a damn TEGAN thing to make the exterior and one of the big set pieces a Cruella sequence, but you know what??? It totally works!! Musical Mountain absolutely does have a fantastic flow to it with going through a historical timeline of sorts. The scenes are all really well thought out and I appreciated the tasteful distinction and mix of screens and practical effects. Like I said, on its own it really is great, the shadow of Disaster Mountain just kind of looms over the familiar montage setup.

Overall I do think there's a lot of really great stuff to be found here. The visual of the Electric Mayhem bus mounted on Muppet Mountain is instantly iconic. The fact that this is probably my least favorite project of the nine we've done so far is absolutely NO shame on the quality, but more a compliment to just how rock solid each and every presentation has been this season.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom