So, You Want to be an Imagineer - Season 19 Hype Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
Going to be a super professional host and vent my work problems on here because I just can't stop thinking about it and could use some advice. So our store did shut down for a few months when the pandemic first started but we were back open by June. From June to December I was making roughly 8-900$ a paycheck. Very standard, pretty much fixed in place "9-5, five days a week" sort of schedule. Things got complicated at the start of the year. I was going on a 30th birthday trip and would be gone for a week, and had let everyone know MONTHS in advance. My only other coworker at the time decided that she was going to take a new job right before I left for said trip which really screwed over the schedule and caused us to have to hire a new person.

Well, I don't know what changed or who peed in my boss's cereal, but basically AS SOON as I got back from that trip everything changed. The attitude for sure, but especially the hours. I'm now making roughly 3-400$ a paycheck, but I also feel like my boss is ON ME for every little thing. I used to stay after the alley closed to organize stuff like the art room and the kids books, but she got on me about that because she couldn't afford to keep me on after alley closing. Well lo and behold the art room got filthy because I DIDN'T FREAKING HAVE ANY TIME TO ORGANIZE IT and somehow that's my fault. That's like...one of many examples of hypocritical "why didn't you do THIS??" BS that's resulted in the whole I'm forbidden to stay after the alley is closed thing.

Breaking point to me was tonight though. That's why I was so Emo Jones on the podcast. Imma put it simple for you folks. California law is that employers CANNOT demand an unpaid lunch unless employees are working five hours or more. Now due to the unpredictable nature of when the alley closes I never know exactly how long I'll work but on average I'm there about four hours a day. When I'm there for five I will always try to clock out. To me, there's a big difference between your employer reminding you to clock out if you are staying over the five hours and my employer texting me a THREAT to dock pay if I didn't sign out for an unpaid half hour lunch EVERY shift, no matter how long I work. So there's days I come and go in three hours and now she wants to take away even more of that pay.

I don't know, I feel like a pretty genuinely BAD person after that. Like, she might as well scream in my face "YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE PAID FAIRLY". Anyone got any advice? It's completely eating away at me tonight. Like, I feel like a dementor is in the room. :(
Have you tried talking with your boss about this? From the little I gathered from this it seems like a small business with close employer/employee relations, so perhaps asking her why you're only working 4 hours a day on average and telling her you'd like to go back to working your usual 9-5 like before would solve a lot of those issues. Her response will determine your next moves. Because you're not receiving the same salary not because you're a bad person, but because you're working half the hours you used to.

Maybe she'll be understanding and come to a better arrangement for her employees, but she won't know if you don't ask. If her response to your inquiry goes in the direction of "I can't afford to pay you more than 4 hours" which from the brief excerpt here seems to be the case, then perhaps you could start looking for a new job that pays 9-5. In this climate I realize that finding a job probably doesn't grow on trees, but since you're only working half a day, your job search would not interfere with your alley work because you can use your free time afterwards to search rather than constantly dwell on the unknown before/after your shifts.

TheOriginalTiki

Have you tried talking with your boss about this? From the little I gathered from this it seems like a small business with close employer/employee relations, so perhaps asking her why you're only working 4 hours a day on average and telling her you'd like to go back to working your usual 9-5 like before would solve a lot of those issues. Her response will determine your next moves. Because you're not receiving the same salary not because you're a bad person, but because you're working half the hours you used to.

Maybe she'll be understanding and come to a better arrangement for her employees, but she won't know if you don't ask. If her response to your inquiry goes in the direction of "I can't afford to pay you more than 4 hours" which from the brief excerpt here seems to be the case, then perhaps you could start looking for a new job that pays 9-5. In this climate I realize that finding a job probably doesn't grow on trees, but since you're only working half a day, your job search would not interfere with your alley work because you can use your free time afterwards to search rather than constantly dwell on the unknown before/after your shifts.
I've definitely brought up the slashed hours before. "Budget" is pretty much the one word explanation I get. If it was just the budget I wouldn't be so affected by it. It's the attitude that goes along with it that's really starting to mess with me. The punitive tone when something comes up about not doing something that I only had time to do when I was working more hours. The legit THREATENING tone she had when she brought up that I needed to clock out for lunches regardless of how many hours I work. It's just starting to feel like a flat-out hostile work environment and not for a single day did I feel this before 2021.

spacemt354

Chili's
I've definitely brought up the slashed hours before. "Budget" is pretty much the one word explanation I get. If it was just the budget I wouldn't be so affected by it. It's the attitude that goes along with it that's really starting to mess with me. The punitive tone when something comes up about not doing something that I only had time to do when I was working more hours. The legit THREATENING tone she had when she brought up that I needed to clock out for lunches regardless of how many hours I work. It's just starting to feel like a flat-out hostile work environment and not for a single day did I feel this before 2021.
It seems the budget is the only thing though - while it doesn't excuse a threatening tone or anything like that, she's probably under a lot of stress financially, as many small businesses are struggling despite restrictions being lifted in most areas. Perhaps something higher up (gov regulations) is breathing down her neck to make sure her employees follow the rules of clocking out and she's passing the frustration down the chain. And if there is no opportunity due to budget to go back to your 9-5 then I'd simply follow the rules for the interim, smile and nod, and try looking elsewhere for a full-time position.

WowFactor

Hey gang, sorry for breaking the thread...

Being part of this Imagineers community for some time, I participated in some Seasons of the Sorcerer's Apprentice but, as a guest reviewer, I was not able to add much. This aroused in me the desire to participate more actively, however without time to commit to a contest I ended up developing in my free time a blue sky idea that I’d like to share with you. It’s not a project as you’re used to see, since I don’t know all the WDC No-Nos and don’t show all the details, only the main thoughts...

Well, that's it, the time has come for the reviewer to be reviewed by you, creative people, I hope you like it!
Sincerely, Wow

Oh I almost forgot to thank @spacemt354 for the encouragement and kind first impressions. Thank you, Space!

AF_VV_Teaser.jpg

Suchomimus

I feel like I've seen this before like Mythica:
Blog%2B-%2BSuper%2BKingdom%2B1m.png
A new day, a new land, this time in London:

Blog%2B-%2BSuper%2BKingdom%2B3c.png

PerGron

Since it's relevant to this prompt, SeaWorld debuted TWO new animal shows this week and while I've always wanted to work at Animal Kingdom, SeaWorld is really upping their game in the education field. I'm currently part time as a traveling educator and pursuing a degree in communications and public speaking because I want to be an educator at a zoo, and boy oh boy is SeaWorld making it tempting now...

(Rescue Tails isn't on youtube yet, but this SeaWorld page shared a live stream of it)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom