So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

mickeyfan5534

I was super skeptical but loved it! Really hoping the twist towards the end will lead to some major story changes going forward. I've always been a fan, but I think a really new angle on the story will go a long way towards justifying all the time and resources of a 3-5 part series remaking one game when we could have had the entire franchise remastered Link's Awakening style instead of remade or 3 new games instead. Either way though, I enjoyed the game WAY more than I expected to and can't wait for more!

I think this game's story was partly about setting up the idea that things can change. I'm predicting the next game will take that farther and have a major shift with Aerith's death. My money is on Cloud dying instead in this version and Tifa or Aerith taking leading role duties. Maybe even taking up his sword. There's no other way to match the shock and impact of Aerith's death from the original. Plus, it would definitively give them the freedom to take the game in new ways.
Oh you mean retroactively giving the story the protagonist it always should have had? Yeah I like that. I will say, the remake absolutely felt like this was going to be Aerith's story the second she showed up in full and they're pulling an FFXII by having Cloud be the player character but not the main character.
I fully believe that Cloud is going to get shish kabobbed and Aerith and Zack are going to take the reigns.

spacemt354

Chili's
Question of the Day: What's something you want to improve on in Imagineering?
Probably efficiency. In order to do some of the projects I used to, it would take me a long time and would be a process, but fortunately my work/school I was able to manage it. Last 18 months, not so much so I need to be able to think quicker on my feet and be able to switch gears without leaning too much into this because I do enjoy it.

orlando678-

This is a concept I imagined in order to replace the standard Haunted Mansion attraction at Tokyo Disneyland's Fantasyland. I always felt there was so much more potential for a Haunted Mansion type of attraction in Fantasyland, like how Phantom Manor was altered for Frontierland's setting in Disneyland Paris.
The Haunted Chateau
Story:

A long, long time ago in a kingdom far, far away, lived in this chateau the fourth count and his beautiful daughter. He collected stories, myths and legends from over the whole world and even conducted the gift of magic. He could make flowers sing and make walls dance. But… There was one plague in his life: the evil witch Visculamia. She lived far away from civilization in a dark forest. She wanted to take the Count’s his stories away. A dark day struck the kingdom on which the witch had disguised herself as a beautiful young woman. However, the loyal gardener of the county had discovered her wicked sorcery and let her be arrested. She was then taken into court where she was given capital punishment to be burnt at the stake on the East Wing of the Chateau. Right before her death, she casted one last spell which doomed the count to be seeking for his last story, his daughter Esmeralda. And every time the water in the river rises and the enchanted crow of Visculamia rings the chateau’s castle bells. Then the lifeless corpse of the gardener, who betrayed the Witch’s disguise can be seen hanging from the castle bells. The judges who convicted her to the staple start to growl and complain in the attic and in the catacombs, the count can be seen chasing his daughter Esmeralda, without ever finding her. While the flowers sing and the walls dance, the witch swing her spells into the sarcophagus and tombs where the bodies of the count and the chateau’s former inhabitants and servants lay, trapped in their graves. On the most southern hill of the chateau’s cemetery, Esmeralda can still find no peace, and that will remain so for many years to come. Until the song of the flowers closes the eyes of the owls, the evil enchanted crow has come to rest and the spell is broken.

The Attraction:

Located atop a steep, wooded hill at the back of Fantasyland, looking over the rest of the kingdom lies a mysterious chateau. With its dreamy spires, mock battlements and square clock tower, the chateau somewhat still makes Guests believe that Fairy Tales come true at this wondrous place. It looks like a cross between a medieval castle, a Gothic cathedral and Big Ben, but it will mostly remind us of Schloss Drachenburg in Köningswinter, Germany. Guests pass through the gates, on which two stone gargoyles of griffons are perched atop its pillars, occasionally turning their heads to look at them. Although the property looks generally well-maintained, some of the exterior hints at the tragedy that has taken place here – broken windows, ruined crypts and overgrown gardens. A small cemetery can be found at the side of the residence which includes the graves of fantasy characters and creatures, as well as characters from the Chateau’s backstory.
1587896491371.png
The queue passes these tombstones, but also the remains of the Chateau’s garden, featuring fountains and statues of for example golden deer and dragons, re-telling the folklore of a knight who slayed a dragon tormenting the kingdom. Looking closely at the exterior of the Chateau, a number of faces can be seen in the ruins. The largest can be seen above the main entrance: two windows are the eyes and the entrance itself is a gaping mouth, through which Guests enter. When it rains, one window appears to be crying. As Guests are welcomed to the Chateau, they enter a dimly-lit area, with several spooky items of sorcery and witchcraft. Among these items are a crystal ball and a large book of spells. As soon as all the Guests have found their way in, the book opens with a spark of magic, bringing several objects to life and our narrator introduces them to the history of the chateau, about the Count who used his magic to collect Fairy Tales. We notice that the voice comes from the crystal ball, in which a head of a man slowly changes into a skeletal one. He then urges us to move into the next room.
1587901206707.png
In the Tower Hall, a hairy arm stretches from the roof, holding a big chandelier. On the walls, you’ll see four medieval styled tapestries depicting the Fairy Tales that the Count collected. On one you'll find a young blonde princess wearing a blue dress in a forest setting, on another Guests will find a mother with her baby in a medieval bedroom, another shows a wealthy man near the coast and lastly two lovers in a boat. The narrator starts again and notices that the room is starting to stretch, an effect of a spell that still takes its toll on the Chateau. The narrator tells us that after Visculamia’s curse, the fairy tales and stories that were collected by the Count, were re-written to change their happy endings and kind appearance. As the room stretches, the tapestries stretch with it, revealing how they have changed from happy stories to gruesome or lost ones; the young blonde princess is revealed to be hiding in a tree from three angry bears trying to attack her, the mother and her baby are being tormented by an imp, the wealthy man near the sea is revealed to be Bluebeard sitting on a tomb where the faces of his 6 former wives can be seen and the lovers seem to be nearing a waterfall. Once the room reaches its ultimate state, lightning flashes as the narrator warns us of all the creatures and lost characters roaming the Chateau. The chandelier starts moving and the roof turns transparent to reveal the presence of three horrible demon-like characters leering down at the Guests. But as soon as it happened, it stops again and the chandelier hangs still and the creatures disappear. However, the narrator does warn us that if Guests will not leave now, they’ll simply meet their doom. Of course there is always his way! The room turns dark again and the clock tower bells ring, with a dead corpse hanging from the rafters, revealing that the Gardener betrayed Visculamia. A loud laugh and then a scorching scream surrounds the Guests before the candles start burning again on their gargoyle candelabra holders. Guests then walk through a secret passage that opens once the pre-show ends, leading Guests into a Portrait Gallery.
1587897428352.png
In the Gallery Guests will find several paintings hung upon the right-hand wall. On the left, Guests can see stained glass windows, with an eerie landscape outside. As Guests walk the path, the portraits change appearance. The first portrait is of a young Grecian woman walking away from an Ancient temple, but she soon changes to appear as a forest nymph, morphing her to become a tree (inspired by ancient Greek myths of Daphne). Another one portrays a piper playing a joyful tune for dancing children, but changes to the image of a creepily smiling pied piper surrounded by terrifying rats (inspired by the Pied Piper of Hamelin). The next portrait is of an emperor, wearing a French wig, almost as if he’s from the Age of Enlightenment. The portrait changes from a fat emperor to a man with a ram’s head (inspired by the Emperor’s New Clothes). The fourth portrait is that of a ship proudly braving the waves at open sea, yet it changes to become the legendary ghost ship, The Flying Dutchman. The last portrait is of a little man standing next to his spinning wheel, with golden straw. However, the image transforms with the man changing into an imp dancing until he goes up in flames. At the end of the corridor hangs a large painting of Esmeralda, daughter of the magical Count. It seems as if her face turns more upset, the closer you get. Guests near the loading area where the Ghost of the Gardener will announce the safety spiel.
1587896914243.png
The loading area is themed to look like a grand medieval hall with a mysterious wind moving the tapestries and spider webs. From time to time the suits of armor seem to be moving slightly as well. As Guests board their Doom Buggies, they’ll ascend to the second level of the attraction. As they ascend the staircase, they’ll pass by portraits of creepy fantasy characters that will follow you with their eyes. At the top of the staircase lies the entrance to the Chateau’s library, where books float around or open up to reveal strange creatures crawling from them. Gargoyles and small statues come to life and busts of famous literary stars like Homerus and Shakespeare follow our every move. Guests move further to find themselves in the glass Conservatory filled with dead, withered plants and flowers. In the middle of the room is a floating violin with a phantom hand playing a macabre version of Grim Grinning Ghosts. Guests then move up another staircase, past what seems like a thousand spider webs, inhabited by huge green and red spiders, with glowing red eyes. From time to time a spider drops down at a Doom Buggy, nearly missing the Guests. Yet, the creepiest ghoul that inhabits this part of the Chateau is the Spider Eater. This creature appears and disappears on one side and then moves to another, where a spotlight reveals a troll or goblin like creature trying to eat a spider. Another light focuses on a victim of the Chateau's spiders, a corpse that is based on the long-forgotten web man, who moans and shrieks as Guests pass by his rotting remains. The spider webs slowly transition into the mystic wallpaper of the chateau.
1587902377294.png
We are now upstairs and passing through various hallways of the residence. Guests would find themselves passing by a long hallway where they see Esmeralda’s spirit being chased by the Count’s spirit in a way that almost reminds us of the old Scooby Doo chase scenes in which characters cross each other from one way to the other, moving from the front to the back or the other way around, yet never meeting one another. The haunting laugh of the witch Visculamia can be heard as well as she enjoys the torment she has caused to the Chateau and its inhabitants. Doom Buggies then pass by a series of doors which seem to be moving, being knocked on or actually opening to reveal terrifying sights. One of them shakes intensely, while others have their knockers moved or their handles shaking. Another one seems to be bending and the next seems to be breathing. The last one has broken open slightly and reveals two hairy claws emerging from the chamber behind it. The creature that tries to break out of it, seems to be growling, in search of its next victim. We continue to pass through the corridor and pass by a bell which is being rung by the enchanted raven of the witch. This enchanted raven looks like a demon-like creature and has only maintained its wings from its original appearance. It is as if it is sending a signal to the witch herself who awaits us in the next room.

This scene replaces the Madame Leota Séance Circle but is very similar to what we know from other Haunted Mansion versions. A gigantic figure of the witch, similar to Ursula and the Na’vi Shaman, sits at a round table, in front of a crystal ball as she conjures evil spirits, warlocks, witches, ghouls, demons and creatures. Around her, floating candles burn to offer some light in this ominous dark scene. Inside the crystal ball she’ll reveal the face of the beautiful Esmeralda, yet it changes to an old and decayed corpse. Behind the Doom Buggies glowing orbs seem to morph into creepy faces, like the ones seen in the Night on Bald Mountain segment in Fantasia. The floor seems to be covered in a thick mist and the pillars, as well as the walls seem to be moving. We then pass by a series of arches overlooking a hallway on the other side, where a group of faceless cloaked figures sing a Gregorian version of Grim Grinning Ghosts. Doom Buggies will then turn around and enter the attic, where they are surrounded by enchanted objects, which start moving and pop-ups scare Guests. The scariest inhabitants of the attic, however are the three zombie-like spirits of the judges that were cursed by the witch before she was burnt at the stake. These advanced audio animatronic figures are similar to the hammerhead pirate in Shanghai’s Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. They jump up to reveal themselves, pronounce a haunting judgement, laugh and disappear. The last judge seems to be pushing the Doom Buggies out of the Chateau and into the castle’s catacombs where we pass by coffins and graves that are opened by their skeletal inhabitants.
1587897081020.png
Through one of the passageways we see the spirits of Esmeralda and the Count once again, but when the crypt of the Count opens to reveal the skeletal remains of the Count, their spirits disappear. We then emerge from the catacombs and are now in the Castle Courtyard. Tombstones and walls seem to be dancing, flowers seem to be singing and about 999 happy haunts and creatures seem to be roaming the property in a swinging wake. Replacing the regular singing busts are five skulls, one of a pirate with a covered eye, one of a tribal chief, one of a French aristocrat, one of a gypsy and one of an old man, with snake emerging from his eye socket. They sing their version of Grim Grinning Ghosts. We also pass by a series of Ghostly couples that waltz to the music in the castle courtyard. Owls with glowing green eyes are lurking from the trees and castle walls. Hands seem to be emerging from some of the graves as the dead are eager to join the celebration. The phantom Violinist has returned with a small orchestra and a ghost conductor performing the instrumentals for the scene. Dancing witches and all kinds of creatures surround the Doom Buggies as well as creepy trees with faces that bend over the Guests with their intimidating looks. In one corner of the courtyard we seem to be re-living the last few moments of the Witch Visculamia as we see a figure being burnt at the stake.
1587896686940.png
We then pass into a cavern where a spirit dragon, similar to the one that can be found in La Taniere du Dragon at Disneyland Paris appears to be fighting a headless knight. This will be a truly spectacular sight and one of the most impressive scenes of the attraction. Instead of passing by the Hitchhiking Ghosts, we will instead pass by Esmeralda’s grave. Esmeralda’s restless spirit emerges from the grave and leads us out of the Chateau. Before we do so, we pass by a series of mirrors in which we find the enchanted Raven following us home in our Doom Buggy. We exit the vehicle and pass through a series of dungeons. In one of the dungeons, the restless spirit of a moaning green man in chains can be seen floating. In another, the witch Visculamia urges Guests to hurry ba-ack…hurry ba-ack… before happy endings are written.
1587907019418.png

Attachments

• 1587896452917.png
    1587896452917.png
    758.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Question of the Day: What's an under-represented IP that should have more?

Definitely DuckTales and Gravity Falls. Gravity Falls is perfect on an almost objective level and has such a killer atmosphere rich with set pieces that I think it's a shame a major E Ticket will likely never happen. I can so vividly picture a queue taking you through the Mystery Shack and ending up in the bunker behind the vending machine.

DuckTales is something that just needs to happen! I'd give my right arm for the west coast version of Runaway Railway to be a DuckTales attraction using the same technology. It's also quickly becoming THE trendy IP to work with in the Armchair Imagineering community. While Gravity Falls would be perfect for one specific type of ride, with DuckTales you can do ANYTHING! Motion simulator, drop tower in Scrooge's money vault, trackless dark ride, coaster, the possibilities are limitless!

@DisneyManOne @orlando678- I'll pump out my first round of project reviews today :)

mickeyfan5534

Mini-Review for @DisneyManOne
First thing's first: I appreciate the map. It helps to visualize exactly what's going on.
The dual-track system is something I've wanted to see Disney try again and you matched it to the Alice IP wonderfully. I really like the two separate adventures you've presented. That said, I think the problem with the double-track is that it feels like you're only getting half the adventure. Alice is filled with so many fun characters that it makes sense to split the adventure and yet, you miss a lot of classic and memorable scenes regardless of what track you're on.
All in all, there's a lot of good you've presented here but I think that ultimately, your approach is flawed for the IP.

mickeyfan5534

Mini-review for @orlando678-
YES! YES! YES! A haunted castle is such a great idea for a Fantasyland Haunted Mansion and that backstory feels like a dark fairytale. Overall, I think this is just an incredibly take on the Haunted Mansion that, as you said, goes on the similar vein of The Haunted Mansion. I really love seeing people take the Haunted Mansion formula and twisting it into a new story and you did that brilliantly. All those elements are there: the stretching room, the endless hallway, the corridor of doors, the seance, and the graveyard. Though I think you missed a bit of a home run with excluding the ballroom, this would just be a really fun take on The Haunted Mansion to experience.

mickeyfan5534

Too many! Personally would love to see a Hercules attraction of some sort, I always imagined an interactive dark ride where Guests are trained to become heroes by Philoctetes and then encounter a few mythological monsters to battle with like Medusa, the Minotaur and a Hydra.
Herucles and Meet the Robinsons
Loving this Hercules love.

spacemt354

Chili's
@DashHaber @NigelChanning09 you both have been really great new contributors to the forum - I just wanted to introduce you to this game if you're interested and you're more than welcome to join in our imagineering questions of the day!
Greetings, fellow Armchair Imagineers! Welcome to the 18th installment of the longest running Armchair Imagineering competition on the web. It's been a long hiatus since we crowned @spacemt354 winner of the last season. Since then the boards have had some ups and downs, but few would argue that the season of Sorcerer's Apprentice that just wrapped up was a definite high-point. There's been a renewed interest in long-form competitions on here. Sorcerer's Apprentice was a great spring competition, and SYWTBAI is here to usher the boards into the summer months.
View attachment 465565
Season 18 is going to have a very simple mission statement behind it. Behind the vague Nintendo Switch ascetic, at the heart of this season is going to be a return to form. Throughout the WDWMagic era of the game, each iteration has been wildly different. Get a Clue was an explosive mix of creativity and controversy with the Murder Mystery twist. Greatest Hits celebrated the projects of the past and saw @Basketbuddy101 come out of it with his second win. Uniting Universal was a rare beast of a season with no clear winner or cast, and instead acted as a stand-alone Armchair Imagineering community project that I wasn't even involved in. Finally we have Purists vs. Innovators and The International Edition. The former used the game-changing tier system to incentive players to try out harder concepts. The latter was a return to the back to basics gameplay with a very small cast. Indeed, SYWTBAI has struggled to form a real identity on these boards the same way SA has, and this season aims to change that.

Sorcerer's Apprentice is an epic. I'm just going to come right out and say that anyone expecting a running storyline or comic is going to be let down, because were focusing almost exclusively on the creative writing side of things from the players point of view with this season. While SA is a grand novel, you might think of SYWTBAI as something of a yearly edition of a video game. The golden age of SYWTBAI happened in the latter half of the Visions Fantastic era, where we had a really nailed in format that got twisted up from season to season but for a stretch always stayed pretty much in place. This time around were going back to that format and honor what's come before.
View attachment 465566
Here's what players can expect to find this season.

Team-based gameplay
Depending on the size of the cast, the season will start with you divided up into either two or three different teams. Each round the teams will have to chose a Project Leader to guide the brainstorming. It's the project leader's job to nominate two players for elimination should the team loose. This will be done via a "voting booth" private message set-up we'll be implementing for each player. After the final tallies come in and a winning project is crowned, the judges will make the call on which of the two nominees gets eliminated. Things will get switched up from time to time including at least one team swap, but generally speaking that's how the first half of the season will play out.

Midway into the season, the two teams will merge into one and each round will be a singular team effort. The same rules apply...a project leader gets chosen who then has to nominate two people for elimination. Nominations can only be made AFTER the project is completed to ensure any last minute additions to the projects get accounted for in the nomination process.

The return of the Power of MVP
The Power of MVP, or PoMVP for short, is the most famous advantage in SYWTBAI. It's the game's equivalent to the immunity idol in Survivor or the Power of Veto in Big Brother. Every round the project leaders will nominate the player they feel contributed the most to the project for the power, and it will go to the nominated player of the winning team. The player with the PoMVP will be immune from being nominated from elimination the following round. Players cannot receive the PoMVP in back to back rounds. I love this power because it does a great job of honoring folks who go above and beyond for the project while getting progressively valuable as the game goes on.

Unorthodox projects...your way!
"Have it your way" might as well be the tagline of this season. Each prompt is going to celebrate the fact that SYWTBAI is the only Armchair Imagineering game that's done wildly outside the box IPs consistently for most of its run. With that in mind, every single prompt will be a little bit outside the lines. You're not going to find many traditional prompts here. With that being said, don't be scared off if you don't want to deep dive into an IP you're not familiar with. This time around each prompt will be an outside the box concept with enough options and variations for what can be done with it to ensure that nobody feels left out in the dark. It's all about diving into the subject matter YOU are passionate about!

And those are the three basics that were incorporating into this season. Oh, and did I mention #TeamTMNT!?!?! Indeed, the quartet that emerged as one of the fan-favorite storylines of Sorcerer's Apprentice: Odyssey has reunited to run this season. @mickeyfan5534 and I will be doing podcast recaps of every single project, as @NateD1226 and @Tux provide additional feedback in text form. The podcast will be incorporated into the game more than ever before, and if any sort of running storyline naturally emerges from all this, I promise it will come out of that.

To keep up the interest during the brief hiatus between the start of SA and beginning of SYWTBAI, @mickeyfan5534 will be in charge of an Imagineering Question of the Day. Starting tomorrow I'll also be posting the first of five Weekly Challenges. These challenges will be meant to set the tone of what to expect from the prompts and a secret power will be awaiting the cast member who the judges feel contributed the most consistently to them. Sign ups will be happening in late May for an estimated early June start date. I'll leave it to Mickeyfan to post the first Daily Question, and I'll throw it over to anyone who has any questions about the format to ask away. I'm incredibly excited for the prospects of this season and think the community on these boards in its current state is in a place to deliver one of the best iterations of the game yet.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I will admit, this is an idea I recently had. What if the "dueling track" made famous by the Floridian Mr. Toad was used for another attraction? For this idea, let us turn back the clock...and wonder what might have been...

Imagine...What if the Imagineers who developed Walt Disney World were able to create new dark rides for the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland to serve as analogues for the Californian dark rides? To replace Snow White, Sleeping Beauty. For Peter Pan, Mary Poppins. But for Mr. Toad...Ichabod Crane. Now, to me, this seems extremely silly, especially given that the more-fitting Liberty Square is just a hop, a skip and a jump away. So, for this idea, we re-organize. What if another idea came into play instead? Well, this is such an idea.

Fittingly located nearby the Mad Tea Party, Walt Disney World opened with a new version of Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland dark ride. However, unlike its Californian counterpart, the Floridian Alice in Wonderland involves two tracks, each one containing a different adventure down the rabbit hole. In fact, here's a map detailing what it would look like. Some Imagineers were convinced that Mr. Toad would go on in Florida, but when plans fell through, the ever-resourceful Imagineers opted to work that concept into their Alice ride...
THE QUEUE

The ride is marked by a giant mushroom, upon which sits an "Alice in Wonderland" book. Surrounding the outdoor queue are various trees and flowers, providing ample shade in the Florida heat. Stepping into the ride building, our eyes are met by two never-ending parades of caterpillars, one on either side of a giant depiction of the rabbit hole.

alice-in-wonderland-disneyscreencaps.com-459.jpg

As we wait in the queue, we see these caterpillars enter the rabbit hole and through a dark tunnel, thus beginning the journey into a world of nonsense and insanity. Surrounding the rabbit hole is a lush mural depicting the English countryside, with lots of trees and flowers. A lush river runs along the left-hand side of the mural, where some "nice and friendly howdy-do birds" can be seen nesting. On the right-hand side, the flowers gradually go bigger, as if we were lying in the high grass, letting them fill our field of vision.

THE RABBIT HOLE

At last, it's time to board. No matter what side you go on, all journeys in Wonderland begin with a trip down the rabbit hole. As we enter, we hear the voice of Alice herself, narrating: "My adventures in Wonderland began when I followed the White Rabbit down the rabbit hole. All of a sudden, I fell! Down, down, down..." Indeed, the fall is quite strange. The walls light up in strange colors. And if we look right above our heads, we can see furniture and other weird things floating right above our heads. At last, we "land" right in front of the Doorknob. He gives us a friendly greeting: "Looking for the White Rabbit? Well, ha-ha, have a look around!"

It should be said that the Rabbit Hole scene is a mirror duplicate on either side, hence why it's walled off down the middle. From there, the ride is quite different, each side taking us through different vignettes from the 1951 film...

TRACK A (LEFT TRACK)

alice-in-wonderland-disneyscreencaps.com-1518.jpg

Once through the door, we find ourselves in a verdant forest. Those wacky twins, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum pop up from almost every nook and cranny, all of them giving out directions to find the White Rabbit. "He went this way!" "No, no, that way!" Indeed, as we duck through the twists and turns of the forest, we can see the White Rabbit himself, late as usual, worrying to himself about how late he is.

DSC_4863.jpg

Leaving the Rabbit behind, we enter the verdant Flower Garden, where all the flowers are singing "All in the Golden Afternoon". The visage of the Rose, the leader of the group, greets us as we enter. As we pass through the flower, we see all sorts of other flowers joining the song -- a Daisy (ringing bluebells), a Lily, a group of Pansies, and a White Rose. Flowers that look like flutes and trumpets play gracefully, whilst a Thistle plays rock drums. Alice herself can be seen standing among the Pansies, listening delighted. In the air, we can see bread-and-butterflies and rocking horse-flies go gliding past. In keeping with the lyrics, some bread-and-butterflies stop to "kiss the tulips". Dizzy daffodils spin around in time to the music. We can even see the snooty Caterpillar, sitting on a mushroom, using his smoke to form letters. "Who...are...you?" he asks. However, as we leave the room, we are met with the Iris, who haughtily exclaims "Why, they're nothing but weeds!" Suddenly, from out of the bushes, a Dandelion and a Tiger Lily spring out and chase us away!

TRACK B (RIGHT TRACK)

tenor.gif

Once through the door, we find ourselves on a beach. Through the use of static animatronics and a turntable, we can see a whole crew of sea creatures taking part in a caucus race. The Dodo, of course, supervises from atop a rock the animals are racing around. The waves crash along the shores, thus defeating the purpose of getting dry. Better watch out -- the water can spritz you if you're not careful! However, as we exit the beach, we see the White Rabbit wash up on the shores in an umbrella, bemoaning his lateness. Like in the movie, the beach leads the way to a forest. But don't expect to find the Tweedles on this track...

d9fd52a8e374712cf7c90f9278aa9630.jpg

Instead, we enter the dark and mysterious Tulgey Wood. As we enter, we hear Alice say "'Tulgey Wood.' Hmm, curious. I don't remember this..." Atop a sign reading "Tulgey Wood", we see a bird that looks like a pair of glasses. Across the way, a bird with a mirror in place of eyes. Better keep a sharp eye out--if you look at the right time, you might see a nifty optical illusion. The glasses might appear on the bird!

As we continue to glide through the wood, we see a whole host of strange creatures: Shovel storks, broom dogs, a birdcage bird (literally), an owl with an accordion neck. We pass by a pond containing ducks that look like horns, umbrella vultures frolicking under a waterfall, and frogs that look like a drum and cymbals, respectively. The final sight we come across is a strange one: We see birds with hammers and pencils for heads, working together to spell a message on wooden signs: "DON'T STEP ON THE MOME RATHS". What are Mome Raths, exactly? Why, they're little, multicolored things that can swarm and form shapes. And it looks like they're forming an arrow pointing the way out of the Tulgey Wood!

TRACK CONVERGENCE

147c41fc69bbbb87cbb8ae9e7fac515c.png

Then, no matter what side of the track you're on, the path becomes filled with tree branches, with signs on them leading every which way. These branches serve as a fitting entrance into the Forest of Confusion. More trees appear, replete with confusing and disorienting signs. Alice appears in the middle of the forest, just as confused as we are. Adding to the confusion, the Cheshire Cat appears at various locations, and disappearing just as quick!

TRACK A

aliw3684857695.jpg

As we exit, we hear Alice say "I do hope I don't meet any more mad people." To which the Cat responds "Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here..." And with a strange laugh, the trees part to reveal the Mad Hatter's house. From the garden behind the house, we can hear whistling teapots playing a quirky melody. Passing through the hedges, we find ourselves on a giant tea table! Teapots dance and swirl around, blowing smoke musically. After passing through these teapots, we come across the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and Alice at the head of the table, singing "The Unbirthday Song". However, as we "jump off" the table, we come across the White Rabbit, standing next to an unbirthday cake that has a stick of dynamite in place of a candle! We leave just as it explodes.

TRACK B

alice-wonderland-disneyland-resort-california-2014.jpg

A door in a tree opens up to reveal passage into the Queen of Hearts' garden. Here, we see panicked cards "painting the roses red" for the Queen. The path soon diverges to reveal an army of marching cards making ready for their boss. A herald trumpet alerts us to the White Rabbit, who announces "Her Imperial Highness, the Queen of Hearts!" to great cheers; followed up with a half-hearted "And the King", greeted only by a Mickey-esque "Hooray!" Indeed, we find the Queen in the midst of a strange croquet game. However, as we leave, we see the Cheshire Cat appear behind her. He says, "You know, we could make her really angry. Shall we try? It's lots of fun!" As we exit the scene, we hear a great kerfuffle happening behind us. What happened? Anybody's guess. Alas, we won't have time to find out, because the Queen's decided to blame us for it!

1180w-600h_061418_alice-in-wonderland-attraction-60th-anniversary-780x440.jpg

The doors to the Trial Room open, bringing us face-to-face with the Queen. And boy, is she ever angry! Almost immediately, we are greeted by a thunderous shout: "Off with their heads!" Swerving wildly out of the way, we crash past her card guards. "Stop them!" yells the Queen. But it's too late. We've escaped...or have we?

ENDING

21a9f-death.jpg

Then, no matter what track you're on, the trip to Wonderland ends in the same fashion. The explosion of the unbirthday cake and the chaos of the Queen's wrath both serve as fitting segues into the smoke tunnel of the film's climax. As we zip through the smoke tunnel, we hear a cacophony of Wonderland characters saying their familiar phrases fill the air. As we head closer and closer to the edge, one voice rises above them all: Alice's. "Alice, wake up! Please wake up, Alice! Alice! Alice! Alice...!" At last, we come across the Doorknob, his door opening once again...

527cf728ccb92ddf99384c12709ecf8e.png

With the chaos of Wonderland far behind us at last, we find ourselves back in the peaceful English countryside. An instrumental of the "Alice in Wonderland" theme plays, as we find Alice sitting underneath a tree with her pet cat, Dinah. As we pass her, she says "Oh, Dinah, what a curious dream I had!" One final set of crash doors later, we emerge back in Fantasyland to a familiar voice: "Step out to your left, please. When the car stops, step out to your left." We do, our journey through the wacky world of Wonderland brought to an end.

This is a very solid dark ride made from one of my favorite IPs. First off, I really was impressed with how detailed the map was. Even if it's not artistically flashy like the stuff Doug does, it still does a great job getting the point across and helping me visualize the attraction. The dueling tracks were implemented fairly well. I would have liked to have seen a bit more interaction between the two tracks, but the variety of set pieces was there and definitely would entice repeat rides. I think my biggest gripe with this is it's simply a more beefed up version of the Disneyland attraction. Not that it's a bad thing, but when you lift the most famous lines of dialogue from that ride and copy and paste them directly into here, it's hard not to compare. As @mickeyfan5534 noted, there's a ton of other different set pieces you could have included, and the only ones that are really new are the Caucus Race and the actual drop down the rabbit hole as far as I can tell. That being said, the queue was a definite high point and I especially liked how you messed with the scale of the flowers. I always thought that little song could translate perfectly into an Alice pre-show area and you executed it flawlessly. I wouldn't call the structure a book report, but even just a few more changes from the Disneyland ride would have helped this stand out more. As it stands it's a well thought out dark ride that lacks a killer creative edge. Major props for getting it in so soon after the prompt was posted!

Creativity: 7/10
Realism: 8/10 (I assume this is taking the place of Fairytale Hall? Clarification on that would have been nice...)
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 8/10
Total: 32/40

Mickeyfan if you could also do the scores for your reviews that'd be great :)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Sounds awesome! How do I officially join the game?

The game doesn't officially start until early June. We'll be doing sign ups in late May. Until then you can participate in the Question of the Day and the Weekly Challenges. I posted the first Weekly Challenge a couple days ago. They'll rotate every Friday. Happy to have you on board :)

Weekly Challenge Number One: Blue Skies Ahead!
View attachment 465882
Were going to start things off with the most open ended project possible. It's the one, the only, the coveted Blue Sky Project. What these projects entail is that the prompt is entirely up to YOU. Anyone who wishes to participate must create a stand-alone project that can be anything from a full blown park to the simplest of park benches. The risk/reward of Blue Sky Projects come in the form of how ambitious to you want to push the ideas with just you. In the past some of the winning projects in this category have been the more small scale ones. We'll welcome any and all sorts of prompts and ideas this round, but it will all be judged by the same grading scale.

At the end of five rounds, the person with the most culminated points will win a special SECRET POWER heading into the season! Good luck, fellow Armchair Imagineers. Your first Weekly Challenge is due Friday, May 1st at 11:59PM Eastern/8:59PM Pacific.

Here's the grading scale as a reminder...

Creativity: /10
Realism: /10
Detail: /10
Presentation: /10

Group work won't count towards solo projects and will thus make each solo project worth a total of 40 possible points.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom