So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

tcool123

I chose them because this is my first Fire Emblem game and it felt like they were the most balanced of the houses also I love a soft girl so Mercedes caught my eye instantly.
This is my third time in the rodeo, but this is a great starting point. And that was my line of reasoning, and because out of all the houses I got the best vibes from their members.

Suchomimus

Question of the Day: What's something that you've enjoyed while social distancing?
Binge watching Clone Wars on Disney+ (hopefully I can do the same to some of the other shows and movies), watching some episodes from some late 2000s- early 2010s paranormal shows on YouTube, imagining an alternate universe for certain railways in Britain and America, brainstorming some AU and headcanon stuff for the Wizarding World (or the Wixen World as I and several others before me call it), Jurassic Park, The Dark Crystal and Red Dead series, and coming up with ideas for Disney World and Universal.

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Weekly Challenge Number One: Blue Skies Ahead!
1587768089914.png

Were going to start things off with the most open ended project possible. It's the one, the only, the coveted Blue Sky Project. What these projects entail is that the prompt is entirely up to YOU. Anyone who wishes to participate must create a stand-alone project that can be anything from a full blown park to the simplest of park benches. The risk/reward of Blue Sky Projects come in the form of how ambitious to you want to push the ideas with just you. In the past some of the winning projects in this category have been the more small scale ones. We'll welcome any and all sorts of prompts and ideas this round, but it will all be judged by the same grading scale.

At the end of five rounds, the person with the most culminated points will win a special SECRET POWER heading into the season! Good luck, fellow Armchair Imagineers. Your first Weekly Challenge is due Friday, May 1st at 11:59PM Eastern/8:59PM Pacific.

Here's the grading scale as a reminder...

Creativity: /10
Realism: /10
Detail: /10
Presentation: /10

Group work won't count towards solo projects and will thus make each solo project worth a total of 40 possible points.​

Last edited:

JokersWild

Question of the Day: What's something that you've enjoyed while social distancing?
Everything is still very much open here for better or for worse, but I’ve been focusing on getting my apartment situated. Aside from that I’ve been catching up on games as well. I’ve been playing Animal Crossing and the Phoenix Wright trilogy. I also just picked up Yakuza 5 again, so hopefully I can get that finished soon. Still have to buy Persona 5 Royal and Final Fantasy, but those might have to wait until I finish Dragon Quest.

DisneyManOne

I will admit, this is an idea I recently had. What if the "dueling track" made famous by the Floridian Mr. Toad was used for another attraction? For this idea, let us turn back the clock...and wonder what might have been...

Imagine...What if the Imagineers who developed Walt Disney World were able to create new dark rides for the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland to serve as analogues for the Californian dark rides? To replace Snow White, Sleeping Beauty. For Peter Pan, Mary Poppins. But for Mr. Toad...Ichabod Crane. Now, to me, this seems extremely silly, especially given that the more-fitting Liberty Square is just a hop, a skip and a jump away. So, for this idea, we re-organize. What if another idea came into play instead? Well, this is such an idea.

Fittingly located nearby the Mad Tea Party, Walt Disney World opened with a new version of Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland dark ride. However, unlike its Californian counterpart, the Floridian Alice in Wonderland involves two tracks, each one containing a different adventure down the rabbit hole. In fact, here's a map detailing what it would look like. Some Imagineers were convinced that Mr. Toad would go on in Florida, but when plans fell through, the ever-resourceful Imagineers opted to work that concept into their Alice ride...

Alice in Wonderland.png

THE QUEUE

The ride is marked by a giant mushroom, upon which sits an "Alice in Wonderland" book. Surrounding the outdoor queue are various trees and flowers, providing ample shade in the Florida heat. Stepping into the ride building, our eyes are met by two never-ending parades of caterpillars, one on either side of a giant depiction of the rabbit hole.

alice-in-wonderland-disneyscreencaps.com-459.jpg

As we wait in the queue, we see these caterpillars enter the rabbit hole and through a dark tunnel, thus beginning the journey into a world of nonsense and insanity. Surrounding the rabbit hole is a lush mural depicting the English countryside, with lots of trees and flowers. A lush river runs along the left-hand side of the mural, where some "nice and friendly howdy-do birds" can be seen nesting. On the right-hand side, the flowers gradually go bigger, as if we were lying in the high grass, letting them fill our field of vision.

THE RABBIT HOLE

At last, it's time to board. No matter what side you go on, all journeys in Wonderland begin with a trip down the rabbit hole. As we enter, we hear the voice of Alice herself, narrating: "My adventures in Wonderland began when I followed the White Rabbit down the rabbit hole. All of a sudden, I fell! Down, down, down..." Indeed, the fall is quite strange. The walls light up in strange colors. And if we look right above our heads, we can see furniture and other weird things floating right above our heads. At last, we "land" right in front of the Doorknob. He gives us a friendly greeting: "Looking for the White Rabbit? Well, ha-ha, have a look around!"

It should be said that the Rabbit Hole scene is a mirror duplicate on either side, hence why it's walled off down the middle. From there, the ride is quite different, each side taking us through different vignettes from the 1951 film...

TRACK A (LEFT TRACK)

alice-in-wonderland-disneyscreencaps.com-1518.jpg

Once through the door, we find ourselves in a verdant forest. Those wacky twins, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum pop up from almost every nook and cranny, all of them giving out directions to find the White Rabbit. "He went this way!" "No, no, that way!" Indeed, as we duck through the twists and turns of the forest, we can see the White Rabbit himself, late as usual, worrying to himself about how late he is.

DSC_4863.jpg

Leaving the Rabbit behind, we enter the verdant Flower Garden, where all the flowers are singing "All in the Golden Afternoon". The visage of the Rose, the leader of the group, greets us as we enter. As we pass through the flower, we see all sorts of other flowers joining the song -- a Daisy (ringing bluebells), a Lily, a group of Pansies, and a White Rose. Flowers that look like flutes and trumpets play gracefully, whilst a Thistle plays rock drums. Alice herself can be seen standing among the Pansies, listening delighted. In the air, we can see bread-and-butterflies and rocking horse-flies go gliding past. In keeping with the lyrics, some bread-and-butterflies stop to "kiss the tulips". Dizzy daffodils spin around in time to the music. We can even see the snooty Caterpillar, sitting on a mushroom, using his smoke to form letters. "Who...are...you?" he asks. However, as we leave the room, we are met with the Iris, who haughtily exclaims "Why, they're nothing but weeds!" Suddenly, from out of the bushes, a Dandelion and a Tiger Lily spring out and chase us away!

TRACK B (RIGHT TRACK)

tenor.gif

Once through the door, we find ourselves on a beach. Through the use of static animatronics and a turntable, we can see a whole crew of sea creatures taking part in a caucus race. The Dodo, of course, supervises from atop a rock the animals are racing around. The waves crash along the shores, thus defeating the purpose of getting dry. Better watch out -- the water can spritz you if you're not careful! However, as we exit the beach, we see the White Rabbit wash up on the shores in an umbrella, bemoaning his lateness. Like in the movie, the beach leads the way to a forest. But don't expect to find the Tweedles on this track...

d9fd52a8e374712cf7c90f9278aa9630.jpg

Instead, we enter the dark and mysterious Tulgey Wood. As we enter, we hear Alice say "'Tulgey Wood.' Hmm, curious. I don't remember this..." Atop a sign reading "Tulgey Wood", we see a bird that looks like a pair of glasses. Across the way, a bird with a mirror in place of eyes. Better keep a sharp eye out--if you look at the right time, you might see a nifty optical illusion. The glasses might appear on the bird!

As we continue to glide through the wood, we see a whole host of strange creatures: Shovel storks, broom dogs, a birdcage bird (literally), an owl with an accordion neck. We pass by a pond containing ducks that look like horns, umbrella vultures frolicking under a waterfall, and frogs that look like a drum and cymbals, respectively. The final sight we come across is a strange one: We see birds with hammers and pencils for heads, working together to spell a message on wooden signs: "DON'T STEP ON THE MOME RATHS". What are Mome Raths, exactly? Why, they're little, multicolored things that can swarm and form shapes. And it looks like they're forming an arrow pointing the way out of the Tulgey Wood!

TRACK CONVERGENCE

147c41fc69bbbb87cbb8ae9e7fac515c.png

Then, no matter what side of the track you're on, the path becomes filled with tree branches, with signs on them leading every which way. These branches serve as a fitting entrance into the Forest of Confusion. More trees appear, replete with confusing and disorienting signs. Alice appears in the middle of the forest, just as confused as we are. Adding to the confusion, the Cheshire Cat appears at various locations, and disappearing just as quick!

TRACK A

aliw3684857695.jpg

As we exit, we hear Alice say "I do hope I don't meet any more mad people." To which the Cat responds "Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here..." And with a strange laugh, the trees part to reveal the Mad Hatter's house. From the garden behind the house, we can hear whistling teapots playing a quirky melody. Passing through the hedges, we find ourselves on a giant tea table! Teapots dance and swirl around, blowing smoke musically. After passing through these teapots, we come across the Mad Hatter, the March Hare and Alice at the head of the table, singing "The Unbirthday Song". However, as we "jump off" the table, we come across the White Rabbit, standing next to an unbirthday cake that has a stick of dynamite in place of a candle! We leave just as it explodes.

TRACK B

alice-wonderland-disneyland-resort-california-2014.jpg

A door in a tree opens up to reveal passage into the Queen of Hearts' garden. Here, we see panicked cards "painting the roses red" for the Queen. The path soon diverges to reveal an army of marching cards making ready for their boss. A herald trumpet alerts us to the White Rabbit, who announces "Her Imperial Highness, the Queen of Hearts!" to great cheers; followed up with a half-hearted "And the King", greeted only by a Mickey-esque "Hooray!" Indeed, we find the Queen in the midst of a strange croquet game. However, as we leave, we see the Cheshire Cat appear behind her. He says, "You know, we could make her really angry. Shall we try? It's lots of fun!" As we exit the scene, we hear a great kerfuffle happening behind us. What happened? Anybody's guess. Alas, we won't have time to find out, because the Queen's decided to blame us for it!

1180w-600h_061418_alice-in-wonderland-attraction-60th-anniversary-780x440.jpg

The doors to the Trial Room open, bringing us face-to-face with the Queen. And boy, is she ever angry! Almost immediately, we are greeted by a thunderous shout: "Off with their heads!" Swerving wildly out of the way, we crash past her card guards. "Stop them!" yells the Queen. But it's too late. We've escaped...or have we?

ENDING

21a9f-death.jpg

Then, no matter what track you're on, the trip to Wonderland ends in the same fashion. The explosion of the unbirthday cake and the chaos of the Queen's wrath both serve as fitting segues into the smoke tunnel of the film's climax. As we zip through the smoke tunnel, we hear a cacophony of Wonderland characters saying their familiar phrases fill the air. As we head closer and closer to the edge, one voice rises above them all: Alice's. "Alice, wake up! Please wake up, Alice! Alice! Alice! Alice...!" At last, we come across the Doorknob, his door opening once again...

527cf728ccb92ddf99384c12709ecf8e.png

With the chaos of Wonderland far behind us at last, we find ourselves back in the peaceful English countryside. An instrumental of the "Alice in Wonderland" theme plays, as we find Alice sitting underneath a tree with her pet cat, Dinah. As we pass her, she says "Oh, Dinah, what a curious dream I had!" One final set of crash doors later, we emerge back in Fantasyland to a familiar voice: "Step out to your left, please. When the car stops, step out to your left." We do, our journey through the wacky world of Wonderland brought to an end.

JokersWild

Question of the Day: What's something you want to improve on in Imagineering?
I would love to regain the discipline to actually sit down and write for long periods like I used to. I have a ton of ideas that I’d love to develop, but I feel like I’ve been stuck in a rut of writer’s block for years. The Disney Pleasure for SA is probably the first thing I’ve written in 2-3 years that I’ve actually been somewhat content with.

Apologies for the quick/ long response. It’s currently midnight and I can’t sleep.

NateD1226

I would love to regain the discipline to actually sit down and write for long periods like I used to. I have a ton of ideas that I’d love to develop, but I feel like I’ve been stuck in a rut of writer’s block for years
Actually I think my answer is the same as @JokersWild ‘s.
I have the same problem. Like I have the energy to do it, but sometimes I just don't know how to execute it

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
For me personally I really wish I could get more of a grasp on artwork. Even when I attempt it, it pretty much looks like it was done by a little kid. I feel like I'm maxed out on my actual writing skills but the presentation side of things has a long way to go.

As far as real life Imagineering, I really wish we'd see less IP based lands. Don't get me wrong...Pandora, Cars Land, and Galaxy's Edge represent a bit of a golden age for Imagineering as far as setting and environment is concerned. I just wish we could get another golden age akin to the late 60's and through the 70's where almost each and every new Imagineering project was an original concept with its own rich backstory and a very simple plot you made up in your own head instead of having it be spelled out for you in endless pre-show rooms (looking at YOU, Flight of Passage ;) ) I miss the days when I could go on Pirates or Big Thunder and simply imagine what the actual storyline of the attraction is. Disneyland's Pirates in particular is a master of this sort of open ended narrative. For as amazing as Mystic Manor looks, even that is a fairly obvious homage to the Haunted Mansion and features a really straightforward story that isn't really up to much interpretation. I'd say DisneySea was the last great gasp of this kind of Imagineering and I really want to see it again. Maybe we'll see something like it when Disneyland's Tomorrowland eventually gets overhauled. I'd LOVE to get an original E Ticket even though I can pretty much bet for a fact that freaking TRON will be the anchor.

tcool123

Commitment. I always try to bite off more than I can chew, and it results in me having to scale things back or just put them on the backburner. That's usually what happens with competitions, school and my social life begin to heat up so I usually end up going out first. But that's not a problem anymore, staying inside and socially distant from all my friends means I can't be partying, clubbing, and going to the theme parks every day. So hopefully I can work on my projects and competitions whole heartedly now :)

I know with commitment I can achieve great things. Heck for my Tourism class I made a theme park using real budgets, calling companies, figuring out infrastructure costs, for all intensive purposes it was Imagineering at its realest. Took 10 days of continous nonstop work, but 8000 words, 40 pages, and god knows how many hours later I got a perfect score AND extra credit on my project :D

Outbound

I would say getting projects done in a time-efficient manner. I have a lot more on my plate this year than last, and in both Stanzas of SA6 I played I pretty much waited till the last couple days before even starting.

That said, I'm very excited for this game and hopefully will be at my best yet!

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I would say getting projects done in a time-efficient manner. I have a lot more on my plate this year than last, and in both Stanzas of SA6 I played I pretty much waited till the last couple days before even starting.

That said, I'm very excited for this game and hopefully will be at my best yet!

My gameplan for pretty much all SA projects this season with the exception of the final one was to formulate ideas in my head for 90% of the duration of the challenge time, then sit down and write it within a three or four hour chunk of time with as crystallized of a vision for what I want to do as physically possible. Even the Saltwater project I didn't start writing until three days before it was due. A huge chunk of my process is mental formulation and outlining.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Animal Crossing! (My first game in the series and has become a big source of a daily routine keeping me sane lol.

I really liked Final Fantasy 7 Remake

I was super skeptical but loved it! Really hoping the twist towards the end will lead to some major story changes going forward. I've always been a fan, but I think a really new angle on the story will go a long way towards justifying all the time and resources of a 3-5 part series remaking one game when we could have had the entire franchise remastered Link's Awakening style instead of remade or 3 new games instead. Either way though, I enjoyed the game WAY more than I expected to and can't wait for more!

I think this game's story was partly about setting up the idea that things can change. I'm predicting the next game will take that farther and have a major shift with Aerith's death. My money is on Cloud dying instead in this version and Tifa or Aerith taking leading role duties. Maybe even taking up his sword. There's no other way to match the shock and impact of Aerith's death from the original. Plus, it would definitively give them the freedom to take the game in new ways.

Rewatching my childhood show phineas and ferb. I’m 15 right now, but i still feel like my main childhood has come and gone. It’s actually pretty mature for a tv y7 show. Go rewatch it. I also have been watching the Simpsons too. View attachment 465987

I was a teen when that show was airing and honestly watched every episode. Most people I knew did too. That show is legitimately very clever and well written. It nevers dumbs the writing down to appeal to kids. That show and Adventure Time are the two main ones I credit for starting the golden age of smartly written animation that we've been in. Ducktales, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Star Vs, Hilda, Over the Garden Wall... I'd even argue that Bojack Horseman and Rick and Morty were influenced by the way these shows pushed what animation was viewed as. They get compared to South Park and Family Guy a lot, but they are a lot more like Phineas and Ferb or Steven Universe with alcohol and swearing than those shows in my opinion.

Point is: A good show is a good show. And when a show doesn't dumb things down for kids, then kids aren't the only audience.

I want to get out of my head and stop second guessing myself. I always find myself getting caught on some little detail that isn't quite what I want it to be that I don't move on and wind up rushing half the project after overproducing the first half.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom