So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HUB THREAD

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Hey folks, if you'd like to see me check off a bit of a podcasting bucket list item, tune in tonight to see me talk cartoons and animation with one of the Youtubers who got me into the geek culture commentary community to begin with. Going live in about a half hour.

Haven't gotten the chance to listen to all of it yet, but super happy for you! Looks great so far!

Sharon&Susan

WELCOME TO NEW ATLANTIS, WHERE THE BRIGHEST MINDS TODAY LIVE

At least back in 1955, until mysterious circumstances caused the city to become abandoned. Some say it was caused by the impending space race, some say it was the mysterious death of one of its leading scientists, but others say it was A MONSTER UNLIKE ANY OTHER.
MONSTER.jpg

Find out as you wander New Atlantis and the bottom of the sea playing 18 exciting Mini Golf holes, what really happened back in '56 to cause the city of the future under the sea to be abandoned. Until now! Presented by Team Citra at Disney's Golfland.

Outbound

1591410226722.png

Disneylover152 | goofyukyukyuk17 | orlando678- | Outbound | PerGronStudio | ThatGuyFromFlorida

THE LAND COURSE

With the official announcement of Disney’s Golfland, rumors and leaks about the new minigolf complex have left both Disney Parks fans and minigolf fans talking and speculating. Well today, all of the speculations can be put to rest as the theme of Land, Sea, and Sky have officially been announced as the individual themes of the three different courses located within the complex.

While Disney has been holding back information about the project, today, they revealed the official layout for the Land-themed course, so without further ado, let’s jump into it.

The overall theme for the Land Course is set inside a Natural History Museum. This museum would house multiple rooms themed around the biomes of the world and also the way humans affect it. Each room will tackle a specific biome from across the planet and will host two holes each, one hole themed to the biome itself and the other hole themed to some civilization or structure featured in said biome.

The Land Course hopes to both delight and teach players through educational signs and displays to read while waiting on your turn to putt putt. Each room will teach you about how the land, and our planet, are incredibly unique, and incredibly important to our amazing species.

ROOMS
Amazon Rainforest and Machu Picchu
African Savanna and Zulu Village
Giza Desert and the Great Pyramids
Tuscany and Ancient Rome
Floridan Swamps and Walt Disney World
Redwoods Forest and Native Longhouses
Arctic Circle and Eskimo Village
Bamboo Forest and Great Wall of China
Polynesia and Easter Island

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Thanks to all three teams for finishing the project with time to spare. As a result, we can swiftly move on to the next round. Feedback from Team TMNT will be posted throughout tomorrow, culminating in a podcast where Mickeyfan and I will announce the winner of the first PoMVP. With the departures of @Basketbuddy101 and @tcool123, this takes care of a double elimination I had planned for this round. Having said that, unless another drop out happens a member of the loosing team WILL be eliminated this round.

Project Three: Animation Domination

1591411114041.png

Here we come to one of the most open ended and fun projects of the season. For this round, teams will design a dark ride based around an animated series from the era of their choice. (pre-2000s) This will be a stand-alone attraction to go into a park of your choosing and can be Disney, Universal, or even Six Flags if you choose to go the Looney Tunes route. The only requirement is that it must be based on an IP that started life as an animated series. IE no Aladdin, Batman, or anything of that nature.

Oh yea, and did I mention you have to go old school on this? For older members of the cast, working with animated properties from 1999 and before might seem like an advantage, for most of the younger cast the lack of obvious IPs like Avatar and Phineas and Ferb can potentially make things difficult. Either way, communication is going to be key this round as I'm sure there will be strong opinions on exactly what IP you want to go with. The attraction being created should be a stand-alone dark ride that can fit into a pre-existing land in a park of your choosing. An entrance plaza for the ride is fine, but please nothing beyond that. The scale of this should be a D ticket at the most ambitious. We'll get to a proper E ticket project later.

Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, June 12th at 11:59PM Eastern

NateD1226

NateD1226’s Reviews

Team Citra - Atlantis
  • The backstory was great and really was a nice addition that gave a little more substance to the project
  • IMO, the house in the first few holes seems a bit out of place
  • The concept art for the holes was nice since I could visualize everything
  • It feels a little off starting at Hole 11 comes the first official underwater hole.
  • The effects were very cool. I loved how you used projection in the course. It was very technologically advanced
  • Overall, I think you guys had a good concept but it wasn’t fully fleshed out right.

Creativity: 8/10
Realism: 7/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 9/10
Group Work: 9/10
Total: 41/50​

Team Orbis - Sky
  • I loved this course so much! It felt like you all put a lot of passion into it.
  • I really like the introduction of aviation in the first three holes
  • All the holes really worked well together even though they were different themes
  • My only little issue is maybe the placement of the holes. For example, maybe keep all the space holes together and the sky holes together just so it lead to even more cohesiveness
  • The reference images were also very nice and really helped when you were describing certain holes
  • Overall, I loved this course! It felt very true to a classic mini golf course and flowed very well.

Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 9/10
Group Work: 10/10
Total: 46/50​

Team Durango - Land
  • A whole minecraft world just for this? How amazing!
  • IMO, the video presentation didn’t really work for me. It was unique and new, but it just didn’t feel like the whole team got a chance to show their creative side as each one had a great writeup with it.
  • If you do the video again, try and add the descriptions with the final project as everyone made great material.
  • The holes, however, were very nicely done. The screenshots were absolutely stunning! You really outdid yourself Outbound.
  • Overall, I can see what you were trying to do with the whole Youtuber thing, but it didn’t really work for me.

Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 8/10
Group Work: 9/10
Total: 43/50​

mickeyfan5534

Reviews
Overall, I think this was a hole in one for every team. Each brought something unique to the table and made Disney's GolfLand something special. We have a really epic, story-driven experience, a very traditional and charming experience, and a very educational and detailed experience. Three very different takes on the prompt.

Team Citra
First thing's first, B A C K S T O R Y! I love seeing really clever backstories like this and honestly, I wish you went further with it. Why was this abandoned Project Atlantis turned into a minigolf course? Who was the rich scumbag who thought it was a good idea? I think that was something small that brought the project down. I really loved these course designs though. This retro-futuristic dystopian idea that's still bright and fun really sets it apart from the more traditional environments of the Sky and Land courses and the aesthetic naturally sticks in your head. I think the increasing scale of the holes was your saving grace. It starts so small but it gradually builds as you get more and more of this surprisingly epic story that you could fully indulge in or totally ignore while going through these grander and grander holes. There was some concern for me with your sea monster when you talked about it in brainstorming but it cooled down considerably from the first pitch about it.
Overall, as much as I LOVE this, I feel like you went TOO dark. This is a family audience and I can just hear Karen Intitolato from Long Island, New York (not to be confused with Joe Normal from Topeka, Kansas who is much more tolerable) going off about how Disney's new putt putt scared her precious little angels Hayden (6) and AshelynnMae (4).

Creativity: 10/10 - You took the sea aspect of GolfLand and crafted something extremely creative and really cool around it.
Detail: 8/10 - There were some things regarding backstory and in the course that I would have liked to see a tad more in-depth.
Realism: 7/10 - This has the Alien Encounter problem. As cool as this idea is, it's really hardball for Disney and Karen Intitolato from Long Island, New York is going to walk in this course with Hayden and AshelynnMae and flip seeing some of these holes.
Presentation: 8/10 - Nothing wrong with a Google Doc
Group Work: 9/10 - I think once everyone got settled into the new team and the chaos of figuring out what the theme would be and what would and wouldn't spark, this team sparked wonderfully. Shout out to @Sharon&Susan for taking the plunge in the deep end and taking the lead. A first-time player leading can somewhat feel like a blind leading the blind situation but you really walked in ready to be the leader.
Total: 42/50

Team Orbis
Sky Course takes three separate concepts and somehow melds them into one cohesive experience. I walked into this one suspicious of how you were going to pull it off but I think you did it surprisingly well. I especially liked the edutainment aspects of the course, they were executed remarkably well. The transition from the history of flight to the more IP-infused fantasy segment via hot air balloon-elevator is extremely clever and really makes the move far less jarring than it might be while also, interestingly, being very space-conscious, which might actually be the best part of this course. When put up against two sprawling, grand courses, this is a bit more of a traditional experience which I absolutely appreciated. It's something Karen Intitiolato from Long Island, New York with Hayden and AshelynnMae without complaints with the fantasy and space segments while Joe Normal from Topeka, Kansas can enjoy the educational and more realistic aspects of it with the museum and space segments. There's really something for everyone here in a course that isn't super hard but doesn't go easy on you either.

Creativity: 10/10 - The merging of three entirely different themes, connected only by the concept of The Sky, pulled off extremely well with some simple transitions and a very smart multi-level design that fits the theme extremely well.
Detail: 9/10 - I had to make a couple of assumptions in the project but the image that was painted in my head was off the charts awesome.
Realism: 10/10 - Out of all three projects, this is the one I can see being built as-is. The idea of just adapting this very simple, classic mini-golf format to a very wide theme that also feels so right and is even themed in the design of the layout with the three levels.
Presentation: 8/10 - Nothing wrong with a Google Slides
Group Work: 10/10 - This might have been the team that sparked the best for me. You all got on like a house on fire and @gam3rprincess as leader really came into this with a lot of excitement and eagerness for minigolf.
Total: 47/50

Team Durango
Land Course is honestly a hard one for me to talk about. I see all the work and this team really pulled a lot of the legwork with @Outbound being kinda the head organizer of the theming conversations, but overall, I honestly think this was the weakest of the three. You got land and, yeah, you got stuck with the hardest theme. There's really not much more for me to say on that.

Creativity: 7/10 - I've never seen this done before but I think that's for a reason. I think that even being in Land, you could have done something really cool with something like a magic forest instead of the biomes. Yeah, it was educational, and yeah I loved seeing the recreations, but it was ultimately a weak theme.
Detail: 10/10 - One of your saving graces, that Minecraft presentation topped you up in some ways (here) but bottomed you in others that I'll talk about later
Realism: 8/10 - Something about this just... didn't stick to me. I think the sprawling idea of it didn't work for me.
Presentation: 10/10 - @Outbound is my new favorite Aussie YouTuber.
Group Work: 7/10 - Honestly, this was the fatal flaw for me. Everyone absolutely contributed and I see that in the brainstorming but in the final product, this really feels like The Outbound Show which isn't a good thing in this competition.
Total: 42/50​

mickeyfan5534

Reviews
Overall, I think this was a hole in one for every team. Each brought something unique to the table and made Disney's GolfLand something special. We have a really epic, story-driven experience, a very traditional and charming experience, and a very educational and detailed experience. Three very different takes on the prompt.

Team Citra
First thing's first, B A C K S T O R Y! I love seeing really clever backstories like this and honestly, I wish you went further with it. Why was this abandoned Project Atlantis turned into a minigolf course? Who was the rich scumbag who thought it was a good idea? I think that was something small that brought the project down. I really loved these course designs though. This retro-futuristic dystopian idea that's still bright and fun really sets it apart from the more traditional environments of the Sky and Land courses and the aesthetic naturally sticks in your head. I think the increasing scale of the holes was your saving grace. It starts so small but it gradually builds as you get more and more of this surprisingly epic story that you could fully indulge in or totally ignore while going through these grander and grander holes. There was some concern for me with your sea monster when you talked about it in brainstorming but it cooled down considerably from the first pitch about it.
Overall, as much as I LOVE this, I feel like you went TOO dark. This is a family audience and I can just hear Karen Intitolato from Long Island, New York (not to be confused with Joe Normal from Topeka, Kansas who is much more tolerable) going off about how Disney's new putt putt scared her precious little angels Hayden (6) and AshelynnMae (4).

Creativity: 10/10 - You took the sea aspect of GolfLand and crafted something extremely creative and really cool around it.
Detail: 8/10 - There were some things regarding backstory and in the course that I would have liked to see a tad more in-depth.
Realism: 7/10 - This has the Alien Encounter problem. As cool as this idea is, it's really hardball for Disney and Karen Intitolato from Long Island, New York is going to walk in this course with Hayden and AshelynnMae and flip seeing some of these holes.
Presentation: 8/10 - Nothing wrong with a Google Doc
Group Work: 9/10 - I think once everyone got settled into the new team and the chaos of figuring out what the theme would be and what would and wouldn't spark, this team sparked wonderfully. Shout out to @Sharon&Susan for taking the plunge in the deep end and taking the lead. A first-time player leading can somewhat feel like a blind leading the blind situation but you really walked in ready to be the leader.
Total: 42/50

Team Orbis
Sky Course takes three separate concepts and somehow melds them into one cohesive experience. I walked into this one suspicious of how you were going to pull it off but I think you did it surprisingly well. I especially liked the edutainment aspects of the course, they were executed remarkably well. The transition from the history of flight to the more IP-infused fantasy segment via hot air balloon-elevator is extremely clever and really makes the move far less jarring than it might be while also, interestingly, being very space-conscious, which might actually be the best part of this course. When put up against two sprawling, grand courses, this is a bit more of a traditional experience which I absolutely appreciated. It's something Karen Intitiolato from Long Island, New York with Hayden and AshelynnMae without complaints with the fantasy and space segments while Joe Normal from Topeka, Kansas can enjoy the educational and more realistic aspects of it with the museum and space segments. There's really something for everyone here in a course that isn't super hard but doesn't go easy on you either.

Creativity: 10/10 - The merging of three entirely different themes, connected only by the concept of The Sky, pulled off extremely well with some simple transitions and a very smart multi-level design that fits the theme extremely well.
Detail: 9/10 - I had to make a couple of assumptions in the project but the image that was painted in my head was off the charts awesome.
Realism: 10/10 - Out of all three projects, this is the one I can see being built as-is. The idea of just adapting this very simple, classic mini-golf format to a very wide theme that also feels so right and is even themed in the design of the layout with the three levels.
Presentation: 8/10 - Nothing wrong with a Google Slides
Group Work: 10/10 - This might have been the team that sparked the best for me. You all got on like a house on fire and @gam3rprincess as leader really came into this with a lot of excitement and eagerness for minigolf.
Total: 47/50

Team Durango
Land Course is honestly a hard one for me to talk about. I see all the work and this team really pulled a lot of the legwork with @Outbound being kinda the head organizer of the theming conversations, but overall, I honestly think this was the weakest of the three. You got land and, yeah, you got stuck with the hardest theme. There's really not much more for me to say on that.

Creativity: 7/10 - I've never seen this done before but I think that's for a reason. I think that even being in Land, you could have done something really cool with something like a magic forest instead of the biomes. Yeah, it was educational, and yeah I loved seeing the recreations, but it was ultimately a weak theme.
Detail: 10/10 - One of your saving graces, that Minecraft presentation topped you up in some ways (here) but bottomed you in others that I'll talk about later
Realism: 8/10 - Something about this just... didn't stick to me. I think the sprawling idea of it didn't work for me.
Presentation: 10/10 - @Outbound is my new favorite Aussie YouTuber.
Group Work: 7/10 - Honestly, this was the fatal flaw for me. Everyone absolutely contributed and I see that in the brainstorming but in the final product, this really feels like The Outbound Show which isn't a good thing in this competition.
Total: 42/50​
Addendum: If I see any of you youngins trying to ship Karen Intitolato from Long Island, New York with Joe Normal from Topeka, Kansas I'm going to show up at your front door and throw golf balls at you.

PerGron

Addendum: If I see any of you youngins trying to ship Karen Intitolato from Long Island, New York with Joe Normal from Topeka, Kansas I'm going to show up at your front door and throw golf balls at you.

Too late, they're getting married tomorrow and they love each other very much. Not as much as they both love Ranch Dressing, but still very much!

Tux

TEAM CITRA

> The presentation is fairly generic, with not much to it besides for a couple of photos throughout, which is kind of a shame seeing as you could've done more with it all. It doesn't need to be over the top beautiful but maybe some more images could have been added to spice it out. Also some of the sections aren't titled properly which is kind of nitpicky, I know, but it would have helped me navigate the project better

> Although only a few parts of the map are colored, it works well with the uncolored parts of it which creates a bit of a contrast between the two which is very neat. Most of the lineart is pretty good also, and in the few parts where it fades in with the lineart, the details are still noticeable which makes it perfectly okay in my book. The only real complaint I have is probably the labels being too bright of a shade of green which isn't bad in itself but it makes it hard to see at times. Otherwise it's very good.

> The introductions were pretty good, with the reasoning for the golf course's existence and the explanation being very solid, and the backstory is very interesting, mainly because of how the backstory could have been utilized for the courses. It reminds me of Thalassophobia/Submechanophobia mixed in with some Kenopsia and maybe even some nostalgia for a period long past. The introduction did a great job in making me interested in where the project was going, the ideas you had in mind, and made me excited to see how those concepts were utilized

> While I absolutely love the tone and concept for the golf course, I'm a bit concerned about this being a Disney Golf Course due to Disney's family friendly image. I can get the feeling that if this was real it would have a reputation similar to ExtraTERRORestrial -- very popular among the older guests that may have walked onto the ride with no idea of how hard it's going to go with a couple children going on and being scared but still very cherished. I can see a couple of kids walking out crying because of what happened to the dog and all of the mutated animals along with the heavy cold war themes which they won't understand. Once again, I still love this project, but it probably would have been a good idea to add a minimum age requirement.

> As for the holes themselves, the way they're all abandoned yet still in almost perfect condition gives an eerie sadness that feels wrong in a way as you get the feeling that something's wrong from the rooms barely being touched after all these years. I also like the plot twist where the monster was actually the dog they kept on the mission, and it's absolutely heartbreaking in it's own way knowing that the monster the guests fight at the end is Daisy. Also, I thought the gradual transition from the living quarters of the lab down to the testing areas was very cool and the way you use golf to progress throughout the story makes you feel more immersed in the story, while not making the courses and their difficult climb too hard while still being challenging. I absolutely loved how story driven this all was and think it was amazing.

> Everyone put their best foot forward with the creative process and I loved everyone's ideas during the earlier creative process, however I will say this was my favorite idea next to the Meliss and Phineas And Ferb concepts respectively. I can't wait to see some of you gradually improve because this is already pretty great in my opinion.

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 7/10
Detail - 9/10
Presentation - 7/10
Group Work - 10/10

Total Score: 43/50

> Using Google Slides as the presentation this time works very well with the use of Courses which was required by the prompt, and the presentation itself is very pretty with the pages all having a blue and white color palette due to the background, yet it looks consistently good with every picture put on this project. While some of the grey text can look off sometimes, it does still work very well with the light baby blue text as well. Also the Hole Element parts were a big help with the reviews and with organizing the features of the holes.

> The two maps were very pretty it helped me imagine what the golf course looked like as a hole, with the beautiful use of colors throughout, and the icons representing certain holes throughout the course. It gives me a Disney like vibe to it all with the mickey icons and simply from how serene it all looks, and I like how the maps connect to their respective themes.

> The first introduction was short but very solid, and introduces the ideas and themes fairly well, although I do feel like it could have gone in more in depth on what they wanted to do or go more into detail with maybe some more expansion on what you wanted to do in terms of flight, although otherwise it works well and sometimes less is more so I'll take it. However, the rest are brimming with details and explanations of what is going on within with it explaining the contents of the holes and how it portrays the progression of history very enthusiastically which was very interesting, and how it explores the themes of mythology surrounding the sky and has it has inspired mankind, along with space and it's frontier with and how it's our future as a species. Overall, the introductions were excellent.

> The tone gave me vibes like it was an EPCOT pavilion on the skies but if it was a golf course, which sounds like an odd concept in text, but I thought it was amazing and it really added some edutainment values to it all as the course explores humanity's relationship with the topic in hand. I can definitely see Disney making this for real, especially with it's tie ins with the rest of the company at times without them disrupting the theme

> I loved how all of the holes throughout this project progressed throughout history in the beginning starting with kites which ties in with the 5th century BC, The Aerial Screw in the Renaissance Era, The Wright Flyer's and the Pioneer Era, and so on, and how their ties to their eras make them all feel so unique compared to the others without breaking the immersion which makes them all really stand out so they all don't feel similar. The Fantasy segments all felt very cheerful, colorful, and lively at the same time while also being very unique with none of the courses feeling exactly the same, with it ranging from wacky in nature, to calm and beautiful, to a awesome medieval feeling, and so on. Meanwhile afterwards, I loved how the Final Frontier Of Flight explored parts of the Solar System, often tying it back to Disney as a hole (get it?) to it while letting it be it's own thing and ending with the start of it all -- the sun. I loved the use of practical effects and I never felt like the effects were unrealistic while being creativity and overall amazing, although I am worried about the difficulty climb with the golf course starting out with a bridge that may drop your ball at random and the difficulty of effects shifting at random with the Telescope level, a much later level, being easier in comparison.

> You all worked so hard together to make this come true and everyone worked together so hard to create an absolutely amazing project, and together as an experienced team you truly made something amazing. I hope to see you work together in the future because you guys have started out with a truly amazing project within your first round together. I can't wait to see what you all do in the future!

Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 10/10
Group Work: 10/10

Total Score - 48/50

> The quality of the presentation was very mixed in my opinion. On the excellent hand, the use of Minecraft for this project was a mix of beautiful, amazing, original, and very creative with it's portrayals of each course which helped me see how the courses worked and their mechanics, which would have worked just as well as words would have in this case, plus the added usage of shaders made it look extremely pretty which works perfectly well with a land based project. I loved the video that @Outbound created and his explanations and thoughts of the project that was created. On the other hand though...the presentation itself was mostly only a video outside of that, and the problem that isn't that there's a video, it's that it's the only thing about the project besides the introduction, the list, and a couple of screenshots. Also, the Youtuber, Microsoft, and Disney seems kind of odd given as there's no context given to why Microsoft and Disney teamed up over a nature themed Golf Course.

> While the screenshots already give me a great idea of what the course looks like and how it works as a whole, I definitely think this project could've benefitted from a Map, which wasn't created with the project, as it would show how the lands were linked together from an eagle's eye perspective.

> The Introduction is the most detail given to the project in terms of text and outside of the video, and it does very good job at introducing the ideas you wanted to put in the project and what the overall concept of the project was while explaining the idea and theme of the project as a whole with it being a biodome within a Natural History Museum which pays tribute to our biomes, nature, and it's importance. I also enjoyed the announcement type presentation that was given to the introduction as a whole which was a nice perspective given to it.

> The tone and theme around this project is very simple and it reminds me of The Land's themes but placed into a Disney Golf Course similarly to Orbis's project and how both edutainment based, but this one mainly focuses on the environment and topic itself while Orbis focuses entirely on it's significance and impact while Durango's has that sprinkled in within but with a lesser focus.

> The courses themselves are very beautiful and I like how each of them having a recurring topic of connecting civilization and nature together to create some truly unique settings throughout the courses. All of the tactics used in the courses are fairly standard but they still work well regardless. I wish that some written pieces could have gone with the project once again as it would also give another frame of reference for me to judge it on, as otherwise that's all I really have to say. I do deeply appreciate the amount of effort put into building each course and setting up the mechanics while making sure it looks pleasant and so it captures the ideas though.

> While there was a split between whether or not the team wanted to go with the land concept or the sea concept, both of the concepts for either idea were pretty good, and I took a look at the descriptions some of you guys made up for the holes and it gave me some understanding of what you were doing outside of the video, and it once again made me wish you guys had included descriptions, although the video did do a great job at exploring the project.

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 8/10
Detail - 8/10
Presentation - 8/10
Group Work - 9/10

Total Score - 42/50

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Team Citra

This team took a while to land on a proper direction to go in even after the Sea theme was established, but in the end had perhaps the most original concept out of the three. Unlike Nate, I absolutely got where you were going with the House of the Future stuff. Not only was it a great homage to one of the most iconic lost Tomorrowland attractions, it set a great tone of building tension throughout the rest of the course. I love how the danger slowly begins to unravel through newspaper clips and propaganda. The whole affair felt very Bioshock inspired, which is why I think the stuff at the beginning works so well. Every good mini course course needs a memorable 18th hole, and it doesn't get much more high stakes than a full on giant kaiju!

Creativity - 10/10 - Full stop the most inspired concept of the three projects in my opinion
Detail - 9/10
Realism - 8/10
Presentation - 8/10 - Great concept art, but not a lot to distinguish it from a standard Doc project
Group Work - 9/10 - Very good job coming together on a theme after some tight back and forth conversation. I echo Mickeyfan's sentiments about @Sharon&Susan diving into the deep end as a first time player. You show great leadership potential and have a really good head on your shoulders when it comes to team dynamics.

Total: 44/50

Team Orbis

I'll admit, I wasn't nearly as blown away by this one as Nate and Mickeyfan seem to be. It's a nice concept with an excellent transition using the elevator (hey, hints of the weekly challenges creeping in a bit?) but overall this felt like two or three smaller scale courses rolled up into one loose theme. I feel like the other two courses had way more of a cohesive build throughout. One of the most interesting points of the brainstorming was IP or no IP. While I think the IP used here was relevant to the concept of Air, I think it sort of threw me off a little bit as well in some spots. I'll give you this though, the holes and course layout were very creative and well put together. I think out of the three this one perhaps had the best gameplay elements to it. I agree with Mickeyfan that it's definitely a well executed and realistic mini golf course, but the presentation itself just doesn't have a "Wow" factor for me personally. Honestly though, the fact that my opinion and the other two judges can be so different if anything else gets me REALLY excited for the overall quality of the projects. I really don't think there's one obvious winner between the three and it really will have to come down to number crunching to determine it!

Creativity: 8/10 - Solid concepts, solid transitions, but the bigger picture wasn't there for me
Detail: 9/10 - Definitely very fleshed out
Realism: 10/10 - Very much your strong suit
Presentation 8/10 - Solid formatting and refference photos. More original art work would have been nice granted the map, much like the Mad Max project last round, very much elevated things on a whole.
Group Work - 10/10 - Big shoutout to @gam3rprincess for really proving yourself as a motivated leader. This team worked like a well oiled machine this time around.

Total:
44/50

Team Durango

Survivor34Logo.jpg

In a word, this project was a game-changer. It's the very first all digital project where every last bit of detail comes dripping out of the visuals of the presentation. I'm not nearly as hesitant about this direction as the other judges seem to be, because the proof is in the brainstorming thread that each of the team members did do work. One thing I'd recommend in the future if were going an all digital route with presentations is to use the prose of the team members within the narration. All that being said though, I think the video illustrated everything about your course in a STUNNING amount of detail that write-ups alone simply can't accomplish. Bonus points for the humor. You INSTANTLY had me with "Stereotypical Australian Youtuber" and the sponsorship bit was icing on the cake. I honestly don't know what more could have been added to the presentation to more convey what you were going for. As the guy who's seen this competition evolve over the 18 seasons, I can safely say I've NEVER seen a project like this before. It's incredibly experimental by nature, but I embrace it as long as you can figure out a happy medium to include more of the work of your team members into the actual presentation. Overall though, I was blown away.

Creativity: 8/10 - The museum approach feels really nature and a good extension of the EPCOT Edu-tainment. Probably the least "wow factor" of the three as far as creativity goes, but that "Wow" obviously comes with presentation

Realism - 9/10

Detail - 10/10 - Definitely an unprecedented way to judge detail in a project to be sure, but I can't think of what you could possibly add to this to convey the point any more clearly.

Presentation 10/10 - Sort of speaks for itself. The level of effort at play here is more impressive than anything I've cooked up in my 250-ish hours of Animal Crossing, haha.

Group Work 8/10 - Definitely the most ambiguous of the categories to judge here, but I think the group thread speaks for itself enough for me to not score this one below an eight.

Total: 45/50

DashHaber

Thanks to all three teams for finishing the project with time to spare. As a result, we can swiftly move on to the next round. Feedback from Team TMNT will be posted throughout tomorrow, culminating in a podcast where Mickeyfan and I will announce the winner of the first PoMVP. With the departures of @Basketbuddy101 and @tcool123, this takes care of a double elimination I had planned for this round. Having said that, unless another drop out happens a member of the loosing team WILL be eliminated this round.

Project Three: Animation Domination
View attachment 474813
Here we come to one of the most open ended and fun projects of the season. For this round, teams will design a dark ride based around an animated series from the era of their choice. (pre-2000s) This will be a stand-alone attraction to go into a park of your choosing and can be Disney, Universal, or even Six Flags if you choose to go the Looney Tunes route. The only requirement is that it must be based on an IP that started life as an animated series. IE no Aladdin, Batman, or anything of that nature.

Oh yea, and did I mention you have to go old school on this? For older members of the cast, working with animated properties from 1999 and before might seem like an advantage, for most of the younger cast the lack of obvious IPs like Avatar and Phineas and Ferb can potentially make things difficult. Either way, communication is going to be key this round as I'm sure there will be strong opinions on exactly what IP you want to go with. The attraction being created should be a stand-alone dark ride that can fit into a pre-existing land in a park of your choosing. An entrance plaza for the ride is fine, but please nothing beyond that. The scale of this should be a D ticket at the most ambitious. We'll get to a proper E ticket project later.

Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, June 12th at 11:59PM Eastern
Quick question: under the "must start life as a cartoon" rule, do toys count? There were plenty of classic cartoons from the '80s that were made just to sell toys, and I was wondering if that counts.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Quick question: under the "must start life as a cartoon" rule, do toys count? There were plenty of classic cartoons from the '80s that were made just to sell toys, and I was wondering if that counts.

Yea, I'll definitely make an exception for toys. I was mostly wanting to avoid superhero stuff or animated series that were based on pre-existing movies.

mickeyfan5534

Project 2 Final Results
I have to admit, I didn't see this coming in reviews.
Orbis sweeps the round with a 13 point lead, while Durango and Citra come in neck and neck with Durango just squeaking by with 2 points.
@NateD1226@mickeyfan5534@Tux@TheOriginalTikiTotal
Team Orbis46474844185
Team Durango43424245172
Team Citra41424344170
Congratulations on a job well done for all three teams. Like I said at the top of my reviews, these were all fantastic in their own right.

Team Orbis: as the winning team of the round, your team leader @gam3rprincess has awarded @montydysquith-navarro with the Power of MVP (PoMVP) and immunity from elimination or the opportunity to save another contestant from elimination if they so choose.

All contestants are safe. This time. Eliminations will begin next round.

EDIT: Due to time issues, @TheOriginalTiki and I will be going live with our feedback tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom