So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HUB THREAD

spacemt354

Chili's
Just reading through the projects and listening to the podcast - I've got to agree with @TheOriginalTiki that @Outbound 's Minecraft video is definitely a game-changer for imagineering! Kudos, that must have taken a while!

Here I thought it'd just be some still images but no the whole project essentially was that. If the game has challenges that are smaller scale like this mini-golf one in the future where text isn't needed as much that style of purely video could be the way forward.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I gotta say, after getting the nominations in I'm legit nervous about this elimination. Out of all six names I got back, not one of them actually slacked off this project at all. I keep saying it, but the level of competition this season is absolutely palatable. I can't wait to see the projects, but by the same point the elimination is going to be painful no matter which team looses.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Jeff's words of wisdom and encouragement here at the very first tribal council in Survivor history sort of sums up my feelings about this round, haha. Very appropriate considering there's approximately as many people left in the game as there were playing in that season.

Timestamp 2:05

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
"Before I read these votes, I just want to commend you on the courage it's taken to get this far. There were a lot of steps along the way, any of you could have turned around. Nobody did, and in my book that gives you bragging rights for life."

One of my favorite obscure early Jeff Probst moments, and it's honestly shocking how well it fits the situation.

NigelChanning

109B5E98-1796-4475-89B2-CC0D5F2DC368.jpeg

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/10sTTdTOJHQPupQcrUXHwkZEjgGdD3iPMm9LmJavnlzo/edit

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
tO4KbOF.png

When you think Universal Studios Hollywood what do you think? Forbidden Journey? The Backlot Tour? Jurassic World the Ride? All possibilities. Do you know what you don’t think about? Attractions made for kids. And that was the case for a long time. Universal has slowly started to change that with recent additions. From 2014 to now, Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, The Dreamworks Theatre, and soon, The Secret Life of Pets: Pets Unleashed will open. Three different styles of attractions all designed for kids, a theatre show, a simulator ride, and an omnimover attraction. One more ride is needed to round out that kid's attraction lineup: a true dark ride.

Animaniacs Studio Spin brings that final attraction needed. And much like the Secret Life of Pets attraction, this attraction will be hosted on two floors to take up even less space in an already tight park.

This all new will feature a heavy use of screens blended with trackless vehicles and simple practical effects/sets to bring the zany world of Animaniacs to life in a truly fantastic, chaotic, and modern D-Ticket dark ride!

MyBzED3.png

Location Within the Park

The Animaniacs show building will be put where the Animal Actors Stage Show is now. While it has been a great show for Universal Studios Hollywood for many years, it is arguably the least popular of the three shows among crowds.

HrU9fkfaZLSlxnEuXrNsCyUzaJatWyNPkGMlUNu0XGUDEdSwleumq4_KgmqKHqWzT7aIT6xi63NHSTqfeFUCoy92i_Upzg8iearhBEat7HDiUrZdLtK6Br4l2ZmTi6cKFI8AmcVi

By using the area of the stage and theatre (as well as slightly expanding backstage and closer towards the walkway), the total area we have here is about 0.60 acres; plenty of space for a dark ride.

Ride System

Universal Studios Hollywood has been delighting guests with a unique and robust set of ride systems for many of their attractions (i.e., tracked Kuka arm for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, themed motion simulator vehicle for The Simpsons Ride, etc.). For the Animaniacs Studio Spin, a versatile ride system fit for a D-ticket attraction must be used to convey the zaniness of the adventure that awaits guests in the ride. A trackless ride system has never been used within the park so it is fitting that this ride will debut such a ride system.

Ride Vehicles

ZqkiEPt.jpg

In keeping with the overarching theme of the studio tour, the ride vehicles will be designed to look like typical golf carts. Painted in the signature Warner Bros. blue with white accents, the studio tour's golf carts will be the de-facto director of the show, as they will be moving guests from act to act and shift their gazes from one part of the show scene to another. In addition, the ride vehicles will be enhanced with a small motion simulator built inside the body of the vehicle (similar to those used in the Ratatouille ride). This will allow guests to experience an enhanced sensation of movement in-ride by tilting the ride vehicles forward, backward, or sideways (depending on the show scene, of course).

The golf carts will be outfitted with customized items for the safety of our guests and team members while providing the optimum viewing experience of the Animaniacs ride:​
  • 3 rows of seating configured to face forward (instead of the normal "one side faces front, the other faces back" configuration")
  • Installation of vehicle doors on either side
  • Lapbars to enclose the guests (per Universal ride standards)
  • Pouches for guests to put small loose items in (e.g.: glasses, hats, wallets, etc.)

Ride Queue

EWowUxvXkAAEwAf.jpg

Entering from a cinema on the Upper Lot, guests will find themselves playing the part of a test audience for Warner Bros. newest animated film, "Baloney the Musical Dinosaur"

Upon entering the cinema's lobby, guests with large items (backpacks and the like) will be directed to the coatroom (locker room) where they will be able to store it for the duration of their tour. As they enter the queue, the guests find various historical cinema paraphernalia related to the Warner Bros.: old filmmaking equipment (various old cameras and reels), props from famous films (Superman, Batman, Harry Potter, etc.), old animation cells from cartoons (Looney Tunes, Animaniacs, etc.), and the like. Each prop will be displayed in a display box where it will be accompanied by a small card explaining the importance of each prop to the studio. On the walls of the cinema are posters for classic Warner Bros. movies and cartoons that occasionally come to life, either by having the subjects perform the action they're portraying still or having our Animaniacs crew crash the scene, Stitch-style.

After exiting the queue, the guests will find themselves near the cinema's doors where the preview will take place. They will be split into two smaller groups of 12. As they approach the doors, they will hear the sounds of chaos emanating from within the cinema: panicked and yelling voices, crying, crashing sounds, etc. A harassed looking cinema attendant will exit the cinema doors (where guests can slightly peek into the chaos happening inside) and explain that something went wrong with the preview reels "and Mr. Tueger isn't having it!". No matter, they then explain that they will divert the tour group to the studio lot itself and get a behind-the-scenes tour of the Baloney movie set instead with director Mr. Tueger as their guide.

The groups are then directed to enter the elevators, where the pre-show begins.

Starting with the elevator Pre-Show and then quickly boarding the ride after, from here on out the experience is always in motion. So, what better way to capture the kinetic energy of an Animaniacs Dark Ride than with a presentation that is always in motion!

For those who prefer to take their time, a written version of the Pre-Show/Ride Through can be found here.

Thank you for reading and we wish you nothing but fun, joy, and mayhem.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Big thanks to all three teams for sucessfully completing another project and really not having any member at all fall off the radar. It's going to make eliminations that much more difficult. The judges have read the projects and are currently working on feedback. To get the game moving and ensure we go into the next project in a timely manner, were going to go ahead and announce the loosing team and elimination now. Feedback will be posted throughout the day culminating in a podcast late this evening. We don't have final scores yet so we can't tell you which team scored the highest of the three until we tally those up.

The first team safe from elimination is...
Team Orbis! Once again you guys pulled through with an incredible project that felt right at home within the Universal cannon. The video presentation while not perfect was definitely a great way to distinguish yourselves from the pack. Tons of gags, sharp writing throughout, and a general sense of realism on top of all the wackiness assured that this project be a memorable one. While it's not the first Animaniacs project in the game's history (hello season nine, project one!) it was definitely the most refined of the three presented concepts.

The next team safe from elimination is...
Team Citra. This team landed on a really solid idea early into the brainstorming and ran with it. The dueling element of this attraction definitely gave it a ton of personality while still being realistic and grounded at the same time. As a next generation WDW Mr. Toad it works fantastically well. Definitely a solid project and a step up from your first presentation.

The loosing team is...
Team Durango. I'm sorry guys, but IP choice played a big part in this on top of being a bit all over the place in the presentation department. The write up I felt didn't do a strong enough job at conveying what was and wasn't a screen, and it didn't do your realism points any favors to praise this as the next big evolution in dark ride technology. Really though, simply put this IP shouldn't have been chosen. It's the basic Tony Baxter philosophy. There's really no memorable set pieces in Yogi Bear at all outside of the forest, and while I do give you credit for extending the ride outside of the forest the Yogi antics didn't really stick out all the much and kind of blended together. Out of the three concepts, this is definitely the one that felt the least defined. Solid team work all around and it's certainly not an actively bad presentation, but it's easily the one that sticks out the least from the pack.

Which brings us to the nominations for elimination, chosen by project leader @goofyyukyukyuk17

The first nominee is...
@ThatGuyFromFlorida. While definitely an active member of the team, you've been a bit sloppy in your social game over the past couple rounds. One thing to note is your insistence on a particular theme after it becomes pretty clear the rest of the team isn't as interested. I had to answer at least three different questions about the Battle for Bikini Bottom concept even though it was pretty clear the rest of your team wasn't into the idea. Should you stay, you need to read the room better and go along with the flow of brainstorming. You have excellent upside as a player, but unfortunately your social game this round might have cost the team some development time. Once the theme was settled, you go on board really smoothly, but it was a rocky first few days

The second nominee is...
@orlando678- . This is a much more cut and dry case than ThatGuy's messy social game. You're up here simply because in terms of brainstorming activity and contributions to the project, you had the least to contribute on your team. Outside of a couple small but solid write ups, you really took a back seat this project and have been sort of coasting since the game started. You're a solid and consistent player, but in a cast this active and competitive if you survive you need to step up your activity.

And with much deliberation, the first person eliminated from So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18: The Deluxe Edition is...
@orlando678- . While you definitely were present this round, the level of activity from the rest of your team simply eclipsed your performance. Though ThatGuy might have ruffled some feathers along the way, he ultimately ended up being one of the more active members of your team. You didn't do anything wrong, but you also haven't done anything so far this season to set yourself apart from the crowd. In a cast this competitive, that's enough to give you the boot. Sorry to see you go and happy trails. Feel free to wish out if you'd like to be a guest judge in the future. :)

Project Four: Kungalooshing the Night Away!
Adventurers-Club-Sepia02-e1571697643810-846x541.jpg

While themed bars such as Trader Sam's and Abracadabar are all the rage with the Disney nightlife crowd these days, back in the 90's at Walt Disney World there existed a happy place that blew pretty much every themed bar in existence out of the water. The Adventurer's Club had a full on mythology behind it's several themed rooms, intricate characters, and multiple puppet performers. It was a place stuck in time, perpetually celebrating New Years Eve on a nightly occasion. A place any average guest could go to be transported into another world. With multiple themed rooms and countless characters, The Adventurer's Club was truly a crown jewel of outside the box Imagineering. For this project, teams will be tasked to design a spiritual successor to the famous club to be placed in ANY Disney location of your choosing. This could go in a park, a Disney Springs/DownTown Disney, a resort, even a DVC. The only requirement is that it takes on the same spirit as the Adventurer's Club with multiple rooms and levels, a cast of characters, an elaborate backstory, and don't you DARE forget to include some puppets! Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, June 19th at 11:59PM Eastern.

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Folks, I think I made a mistake with the number of players on each team. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Durango was the team with the extra person last round. This means as far as I know the teams are now evened out to five people each, so no switching up on Team Orbis is necessary :)

Math. It's why Tiki never finished college. :p

mickeyfan5534

Big thanks to all three teams for sucessfully completing another project and really not having any member at all fall off the radar. It's going to make eliminations that much more difficult. The judges have read the projects and are currently working on feedback. To get the game moving and ensure we go into the next project in a timely manner, were going to go ahead and announce the loosing team and elimination now. Feedback will be posted throughout the day culminating in a podcast late this evening. We don't have final scores yet so we can't tell you which team scored the highest of the three until we tally those up.

The first team safe from elimination is...
Team Orbis! Once again you guys pulled through with an incredible project that felt right at home within the Universal cannon. The video presentation while not perfect was definitely a great way to distinguish yourselves from the pack. Tons of gags, sharp writing throughout, and a general sense of realism on top of all the wackiness assured that this project be a memorable one. While it's not the first Animaniacs project in the game's history (hello season nine, project one!) it was definitely the most refined of the three presented concepts.

The next team safe from elimination is...
Team Citra. This team landed on a really solid idea early into the brainstorming and ran with it. The dueling element of this attraction definitely gave it a ton of personality while still being realistic and grounded at the same time. As a next generation WDW Mr. Toad it works fantastically well. Definitely a solid project and a step up from your first presentation.

The loosing team is...
Team Durango. I'm sorry guys, but IP choice played a big part in this on top of being a bit all over the place in the presentation department. The write up I felt didn't do a strong enough job at conveying what was and wasn't a screen, and it didn't do your realism points any favors to praise this as the next big evolution in dark ride technology. Really though, simply put this IP shouldn't have been chosen. It's the basic Tony Baxter philosophy. There's really no memorable set pieces in Yogi Bear at all outside of the forest, and while I do give you credit for extending the ride outside of the forest the Yogi antics didn't really stick out all the much and kind of blended together. Out of the three concepts, this is definitely the one that felt the least defined. Solid team work all around and it's certainly not an actively bad presentation, but it's easily the one that sticks out the least from the pack.

Which brings us to the nominations for elimination, chosen by project leader @goofyyukyukyuk17

The first nominee is...
@ThatGuyFromFlorida. While definitely an active member of the team, you've been a bit sloppy in your social game over the past couple rounds. One thing to note is your insistence on a particular theme after it becomes pretty clear the rest of the team isn't as interested. I had to answer at least three different questions about the Battle for Bikini Bottom concept even though it was pretty clear the rest of your team wasn't into the idea. Should you stay, you need to read the room better and go along with the flow of brainstorming. You have excellent upside as a player, but unfortunately your social game this round might have cost the team some development time. Once the theme was settled, you go on board really smoothly, but it was a rocky first few days

The second nominee is...
@orlando678- . This is a much more cut and dry case than ThatGuy's messy social game. You're up here simply because in terms of brainstorming activity and contributions to the project, you had the least to contribute on your team. Outside of a couple small but solid write ups, you really took a back seat this project and have been sort of coasting since the game started. You're a solid and consistent player, but in a cast this active and competitive if you survive you need to step up your activity.

And with much deliberation, the first person eliminated from So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18: The Deluxe Edition is...
@orlando678- . While you definitely were present this round, the level of activity from the rest of your team simply eclipsed your performance. Though ThatGuy might have ruffled some feathers along the way, he ultimately ended up being one of the more active members of your team. You didn't do anything wrong, but you also haven't done anything so far this season to set yourself apart from the crowd. In a cast this competitive, that's enough to give you the boot. Sorry to see you go and happy trails. Feel free to wish out if you'd like to be a guest judge in the future. :)

And that leads right into the next project. Congratulations to the final 15! First things first, right now the teams are divided 6-5-4. To even this out, Team Orbis must choose one of their members to send over to Team Durango. This decision must be made as a group. Do you want to send your weakest link, or someone who can act as a powerful ambassador of your team. Or someone in the middle of the skill level playing field? The choice is up to you and MUST be made by the end of the day.

Project Four: Kungalooshing the Night Away!
Adventurers-Club-Sepia02-e1571697643810-846x541.jpg

While themed bars such as Trader Sam's and Abracadabar are all the rage with the Disney nightlife crowd these days, back in the 90's at Walt Disney World there existed a happy place that blew pretty much every themed bar in existence out of the water. The Adventurer's Club had a full on mythology behind it's several themed rooms, intricate characters, and multiple puppet performers. It was a place stuck in time, perpetually celebrating New Years Eve on a nightly occasion. A place any average guest could go to be transported into another world. With multiple themed rooms and countless characters, The Adventurer's Club was truly a crown jewel of outside the box Imagineering. For this project, teams will be tasked to design a spiritual successor to the famous club to be placed in ANY Disney location of your choosing. This could go in a park, a Disney Springs/DownTown Disney, a resort, even a DVC. The only requirement is that it takes on the same spirit as the Adventurer's Club with multiple rooms and levels, a cast of characters, an elaborate backstory, and don't you DARE forget to include some puppets! Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, June 19th at 11:59PM Eastern.
I will heavily weigh the artwork/reference photos you produce for this in your detail and presentation scores and (much as I love it) the further away you keep from SEA will boost your creativity score. Additionally, I want the menu to be of low concern. This is an atmosphere challenge before a restaurant/bar challenge. Give me the interesting backstory, cool location, and compelling cast of characters before you get a full menu.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I will heavily weigh the artwork/reference photos you produce for this in your detail and presentation scores and (much as I love it) the further away you keep from SEA will boost your creativity score. Additionally, I want the menu to be of low concern. This is an atmosphere challenge before a restaurant/bar challenge. Give me the interesting backstory, cool location, and compelling cast of characters before you get a full menu.

I'll second the less SEA=more creativity point, haha.

NateD1226

NateD1226’s Reviews

Team Citra - Tom and Jerry Duel Duals
  • The overall idea for a Tom and Jerry Dueling dark ride was awesome!​
  • I wasn’t expecting for it to be a Disney ride, but I kinda like it that way.​
  • The descriptions for the overall rooms felt a little underwhelming to me. I think it needed a bit more detail and more explanation of the effects.​
  • Having the presentation on Google Slides wasn’t really the best idea. If you have long length projects like this, sometimes it is better to use a regular forum post or a Google Doc​
  • Overall, the idea was great but the execution just needed a little bit more detail.​

Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 7/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 7/10
Group Work: 9/10
Total: 40/50

Team Orbis - Animaniacs Studio Spin
  • Right off the bat, the name is great. It gives me Roger Rabbit vibes​
  • The location of the ride is great and totally agree about the Animal Actors show​
  • The ride vehicle raises some concerns. It seems like the ride would have a low hourly capacity for only 6 people per vehicle and using a trackless ride system. I think it is best for (and this goes for all teams) to make a statistics section with hourly capacity, ride cars, time, etc. so we can get an idea of how long the ride would be​
  • The overall ride was so fun! The jabs at movies and celebrities was so funny. I loved it as it was very unique and different from all 3 of the projects​
  • Also, I would like to point out that the group work in this project was amazing. Everyone felt so united with each other​
  • Overall, this was an amazing project and I loved everything about it​

Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 9/10
Group Work: 10/10
Total: 47/50

Team Durango - Yogi’s Jellystone Adventure
  • I was never expecting a Yogi Bear ride as that IP didn’t seem that popular to me, but you made it work​
  • The exterior of the ride was the thing that stood out for me. I love the idea of making it cartoonish with the foreshadowing of the ride​
  • The gift shop and play area were nice additions​
  • The overall ride felt underwhelming to me. It seemed like we were just following a chase with Yogi Bear and Ranger Smith without really having a set story or a good flow.​
  • The teamwork in this round was very messy. You guys were all over the place this round and it wasn’t pretty. Next time try and make an organization google doc or a forum post every night where you can recap everything you did so nothing gets lost in pages.​
  • Overall I think with more work and a better story, it would be a more interesting ride​

Creativity: 8/10
Realism: 7/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 8/10
Group Work: 7/10
Total: 38/50

Disneylover152

Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, June 19th at 11:59PM Eastern.

I'm just going to say this now, I will not be available past Wednesday to work on this project. I'm going up to my house in Pennsylvania which has no wifi and spotty service. I may be able to check up on the app on my phone, but I'm not going to be reliable starting midway through the day and beyond (not sure yet how long we are staying, may go into the next prompt too).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom