So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 15: Uniting Universal (Official Hub Thread)

spacemt354

Chili's
yeah babadook will be kinda difficult since where letś admit the monster in that movie has like what 2 minutes of screentime. so im thinking of designing the maze to look like itś from a book [ sorta like the black and white lighting of hhn 22 house of horrors ]
I think a good balance of more psychological mazes along with other intense jump scare mazes would be important to have. We could base it off the book n the beginning but also walking around the house as well.

spacemt354

Chili's
^^

giphy.gif

spacemt354

Chili's
Website is great. If CityWalk is still open for brainstorming could I work on that? Does anyone else agree with CityWalk?
Welcome back!

We've had the debate previously, I remember one or two people were for CityWalk, however others felt that it might be a bit cliche and tacky. The goal of this project is to be different as much as possible - so do you have a way to make CityWalk different? And I'll open the discussion back up in case anyone swings one way or another upon 2nd glance

@D Hindley @DisneyFan18 @S.P.E.W to name a few (that rhymed:joyfull:)

kmbmw777

Welcome back!

We've had the debate previously, I remember one or two people were for CityWalk, however others felt that it might be a bit cliche and tacky. The goal of this project is to be different as much as possible - so do you have a way to make CityWalk different? And I'll open the discussion back up in case anyone swings one way or another upon 2nd glance

Personally, I really liked CityWalk, because it seems really busy and full of activity. The multiple stories, and wackiness of it made it exciting, and unique. However, this is coming from someone who mostly walks through it or occasionally dines at a single restaurant.

D Hulk

Welcome back!

My argument against CityWalk is based on my perspective as a USH local. It was super vibrant when it opened, and a local nightlife destination even if you weren't visiting the park, but other attractions like the common outdoor malls @CraniumCommand89 laments are presently doing for LA what CityWalk used to do.

Hollywood's CityWalk was fun, now it feels tired and dated. No doubt these outdoor malls will too with time, so I'm open to an upgrade on the CityWalk model if it can fee exciting again.

Suchomimus

Welcome back!

I’ve been through CityWalk at Orlando before and it was....okay. There’s nothing that really caught my eye apart from the nightlife and the Chocolate Emporium in my Spring Break trip in 2016. The only thing I remember doing there was buying a pizza from near the Cowfish. So I’m hoping that the Mediterranean CityWalk will be an improvement.

kmbmw777

One of my ideas for this Mediterranean Universal Plaza would be to spread it out more. This way we could add some form of water transportation between the districts/areas. Also, perhaps one of the hotels could be inside the plaza (as in occupying upper floors). While this could cause noise complaints. It wouldn't be too much more than a major city (as long as it isn't in the nightlife district).

I really think water attractions could add a lot to the area. Besides for transpiration, guests could kayak or take night cruises.

mediterranean-city-wallpapers_50692_1920x1200.jpg

Dubrovnik.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Figured I should probably give my thoughts on this -- might have found a way to appease most of these suggestions. Changed the map a tad.
4213.jpg

So we have big ideas regardless of what theme we go with. We want something that's not just a mall, but something with kinetics, energy, icons, etc. I can tell you both @MonorailRed and myself have been loathing the possibility of writing the minions resort. They are fun in gif form but a whole resort based on gibberish and bananas I think would drive parents insane:hilarious:

What if we took that space, and used it for the Plaza? This expands the space out (making it the largest 'CityWalk' in Universal history) and gives everything room to breathe and gives us plenty of room to be creative. We can add the resort rooms over the plaza walkways, this would be similar to the Boardwalk in WDW, which is pretty popular - I think people like being close to the action - and this puts you right in the middle of the action!

For me, I like the european theme - but maybe we don't have to keep it to just Barcelona. Maybe there could be different regions...like an Oktoberfest Biergarten, or an Irish Pub -- we could span the whole continent of Europe - almost like a new World Showcase.

The CityWalk theme, if we were making a smaller mall, I'd say go for it - however now we have basically the size of Disney Springs...I don't think the crowded, congested feel of CityWalk will feel right spread out across this land.

Thoughts on this?

D Hulk

Figured I should probably give my thoughts on this -- might have found a way to appease most of these suggestions. Changed the map a tad.
4213.jpg

So we have big ideas regardless of what theme we go with. We want something that's not just a mall, but something with kinetics, energy, icons, etc. I can tell you both @MonorailRed and myself have been loathing the possibility of writing the minions resort. They are fun in gif form but a whole resort based on gibberish and bananas I think would drive parents insane:hilarious:

What if we took that space, and used it for the Plaza? This expands the space out (making it the largest 'CityWalk' in Universal history) and gives everything room to breathe and gives us plenty of room to be creative. We can add the resort rooms over the plaza walkways, this would be similar to the Boardwalk in WDW, which is pretty popular - I think people like being close to the action - and this puts you right in the middle of the action!

For me, I like the european theme - but maybe we don't have to keep it to just Barcelona. Maybe there could be different regions...like an Oktoberfest Biergarten, or an Irish Pub -- we could span the whole continent of Europe - almost like a new World Showcase.

The CityWalk theme, if we were making a smaller mall, I'd say go for it - however now we have basically the size of Disney Springs...I don't think the crowded, congested feel of CityWalk will feel right spread out across this land.

Thoughts on this?
If we're doing something larger akin to Disney Springs, couldn't a smaller section of that be more like the classic CityWalk? Maybe the section leading up to UniMK? That gives us the best of both worlds!

Originally the whole Plaza was planned to be like a mini map of Europe, wasn't it? I can't recall when it became just Barcelona. Rather than doing like World Showcase and having rigidly defined nations, how about we do as WestCOT would have done and organically shift international styles from one setting to another. That allows for more variety than "stereotypical Spain" followed by "stereotypical Germany."

With the Minion Resort nixed (bananas aren't appealing?!), big yes to placing a more expansive resort on the levels above the Plaza. The Europa Resort, or the Grand European, or something. I don't know WDW's Boardwalk, but that's certainly what DisneySea's MiraCosta does, which adds an immeasurable vibrancy to the guest rooms and to the park outside. Lots of those outdoor malls do something similar with condos.

Let's shape this new resort like a "U" surrounding a big water/fountain area. Free nighttime water shows for resort guests and for shoppers! That'll even get the locals returning.

Will there still be kinetic transportation stuff like an elevated railway? Where'd we fall on that?

spacemt354

Chili's
If we're doing something larger akin to Disney Springs, couldn't a smaller section of that be more like the classic CityWalk? Maybe the section leading up to UniMK? That gives us the best of both worlds!

Originally the whole Plaza was planned to be like a mini map of Europe, wasn't it? I can't recall when it became just Barcelona. Rather than doing like World Showcase and having rigidly defined nations, how about we do as WestCOT would have done and organically shift international styles from one setting to another. That allows for more variety than "stereotypical Spain" followed by "stereotypical Germany."

With the Minion Resort nixed (bananas aren't appealing?!), big yes to placing a more expansive resort on the levels above the Plaza. The Europa Resort, or the Grand European, or something. I don't know WDW's Boardwalk, but that's certainly what DisneySea's MiraCosta does, which adds an immeasurable vibrancy to the guest rooms and to the park outside. Lots of those outdoor malls do something similar with condos.

Let's shape this new resort like a "U" surrounding a big water/fountain area. Free nighttime water shows for resort guests and for shoppers! That'll even get the locals returning.

Will there still be kinetic transportation stuff like an elevated railway? Where'd we fall on that?

Hmm there could be! My only concern with having the original CityWalk style would be that it wouldn't really go with the art deco theme of the main street of NYC. That being said -- it is transitioning into a city - so I think we can keep it on the table.

In regards to World Showcase, when thinking about this I was only using it as an example of using different nations together in the same area - for implimentation, I was more thinking of the way Fantasyland does it where you can go from old world London to Bavarian Germany and feel a natural flow, since these areas will be inspired by the locations, but more romanticized versions, not as authentic as World Showcase.

That being said, I love the International Gateway music in Epcot -- am using that as inspirational music when thinking about the possibilities!

The Boardwalk functions along the same lines I think kmb was suggesting
board-walk-inn-00-full.jpg

Resort rooms overlooking the walkways, with shops and restaurants beneath. I'll also add in that one of my favorite places is Asheville, NC - beautiful weather...but for this project specifically, the Asheville Biltmore Park about 20 miles south of the city, has a similar layout - with a movie theater, restaurants, shops, a Hilton hotel, grassy areas, and apartments above.
456.JPG

455.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom